Community > Posts By > JBTHEMILKER

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sun 12/09/07 02:27 AM
Morning in the woods
As JB ‘s well-worn Toyota pick up made it’s way up the Old Country Road to the landing. His mind was filled with the job. He was wondering if the skidder diver was up there yet, looking for evidence of his pickup having made the trip in over the ruff road up to the landing. JB was thinking of the trees he had down, only three that he could think of, and where was he going to start in this morning.
Coming up over the last ridge, the landing came in to sight. It was an old farmstead. The cellar hole was off to one side of the clearing. No skidder driver there yet. That was both good and bad. It meant JB had some time, but it also meant that he would maybe be missing the skidder driver to talk to before he headed off into the woods. Off to the side of the landing, over by the old cellar hole was a parking spot. The spot was well out of the way so the truck wouldn’t get hit by either the skidder or by a log as it was pushed around on the landing.
Coming to a stop in the same spot he had parked in for the last four months, he looked out over the landing. They had better then a truckload of logs on the landing. That meant the log truck would be in this morning. The skidder was parked over by the fuel tank. JB gave a thought as to weather it had been fueled the night before or weather that was one more thing that would slow down the start of the day.
Getting out of the truck JB felt the aches and pains of the physical work he did. His back was a bit stiff. The legs had a bit of the hill climbing he had done the day before still in them. His left hand had an uncomfortable callus built up across the palm of the hand, from where the saw was clutched hard all day.
Going to the back of the pick-up, he got out his freshly filled fuel can and a fresh gallon jug of bar oil. He set them out on the tailgate of the truck. He then got his boots out of the passenger side of the truck. Taking off his street shoes, he put on the logging boots. They were heavy leather, with golf cleats sticking out of the sole. The heavy boots slid right on, it was like putting the harness on a horse, getting him ready for work.
The landing smelled of mud, freshly cut wood, and a mid September morning, all mix together. The birds were singing over head in the big birch that grew out of the old cellar hole. A squirrel looked curiously at him from the top of the pile of logs.
After the boots came the chaps, an abbreviated set of leggings that caught most of the oil off the saw and were designed to ward off stray chain saws. JB put the fuel and oil jugs on the skidder in a place where they wouldn’t fall off on the ruff trip into the woods. He took a new wedge he had bought that morning and put it in his back pocket. He was ready to set off on the half-mile walk into the woods, to where the show was he was working on.
Following the skid trail into the woods, JB was glade he had the sure-footed boots on. The muddy trail was slippery in spots, but with the boots, when he places a foot, it stayed where it was placed.
After JB was out of sight of the landing, he heard the chains hitting against the up-rights of the log truck as it made its way up the Old County Road to the landing. This was good. It meant they would have one truckload out for the day right at the start, with a chance of getting another before the day was over. It meant with the big wood they were going to be bringing out, they would have more space on the landing. Some of these big trees took up most of an empty landing. It also meant that the skidder would take just a bit longer to get into the woods for that first hitch.
JB came to his camp form the day before. The two matching saws were there, and his fuel and oil jugs. His axe was in a freshly cut stump and his wedges there in the holster belt. He fueled the saws, checked the cutting edges, they were good for the start of a day. He was, after all, cutting softwood today. Snapping the wedge belt on over the chaps, he garbed the pair of saws and set off to find the first tree of a new day.
Off to the downhill side of the trail was a grove of large pines. It looked like their day had come. Each tree was better then a yard trough at breast height. They had beautiful straight stems reaching up over the smaller birches and maples in the area. No better way to start a day, then the taking down of a few really big trees.
Setting one saw off out of the way, JB started the other. He adjusted the helmet so the ear protectors where snug, took a good look up the tree to see how it wanted to fall, and bent over to start another day’s work.
The first cut is very important. They all are. The first one is the cut that establishes how much stump is going to be left behind, and how much of the biggest part of the log is going to go off to the mill. The first cut is a horizontal cut, placed down just as low as possible. The line at the end of the first cut is one side of the hinge that the tree will pivot on to fall to the earth. Where that first cut stops is critical. It needs to go in from a quarter to a third of the way into the base of the tree. The back of the cut needs to be a straight line. A hinge that has a pivot point that isn’t a straight line will not work as a hinge. Because the cutting part of the bar is only 23 inches, the cut needs to be made from two sides. The second side of the first cut is done with the pushing backside of the bar. The next cut is a 45-degree cut, made from above the first to intersect it right at the back of the first cut. This will remove a wedge shaped piece, leaving a notch in the base of the tree. The back of the notch is perpendicular to the direction of the fall.
With pine sawdust now all over him and the smell of two stoke smoke in the air. JB looks up to have another look at the tree. The way it is now cut decides the way it is going to fall. In this case it looks like it is going to come down right on a smaller maple and a few birches. The birches can fend for themselves, but the maple needs to be cut down before the pine is felled.
The pine is still nearly as strong as it was before he started. JB steps into the path the pine will take and quickly fells and limbs the smaller maple. This makes a hole for the giant pine to fall into.
Making sure the axe is right there, and the other saw is out of the way, JB cuts into the back of the tree at the same level as the first cut. As soon as the bar of the saw is into the tree far enough, he places a wedge in the cut. This will keep the tree from having any thoughts of going back and pinching the saw. As the saw works its way in the tree sighs a bit and gives a slight lean in the direction JB has asked it to go. Time to switch over to the far side, the back cut is too long to all be made from one side. A quick lookup the tree to see how she is doing, the back cut starts to spread as the saw goes deeper. It is time to find a safe place to be while the giant pine crashes down to earth. JB steps back at an angle to the direction of fall. Staying to the up hill side of the stump and taking three big steps back from where he had been cutting. The big pine leans slowly at first, then picks up speed. On its way down it brushes the birches and speeds downward. CRASH!! The limbs snap and send sticks flying as the monster tree hits the ground.
After the excitement is over and the giant is slain, JB climbs up on the butt end of the tree, and starts his trip to the top, walking up the tree, as it lies on the ground. He takes all the limbs he can get to, making sure he gets all the ones to his left side as he makes his way up the tree. Some limbs are under pressure with the weight of the tree on them. It is sort of a sense one gains to know witch side to start cutting the big limbs from. One side will pinch, the other will snap. The trunk JB walks on gets smaller and the branches bigger as JB works towards the top of the tree. When the stem is down to the size of JB’s thigh, it is time to top the tree. The tip of the tree will be staying in the woods. It must be cut so it lies down to within four feet of the ground at the highest point. On the return trip JB again makes sure he has all the limbs on his left. But now the tree has rolled a bit. It turned slightly as he took off the top. Now the remainder of the limbs are accessible.
This tree is eighty feet long, the stem that will be pulled out of the woods. Two this size and he has a hitch. That will be all the skidder can pull. This stem will be cut in to five or six, maybe even seven logs on the landing. It then needs to be pushed up out of the way so the next hitch has room to be worked up.
It was going to be a good day. The fall air was cool to work in. There were still plenty of nice trees to be harvested. They had one load on its way out and had another one in the making. Yes it was going to be a good day.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sun 12/09/07 02:27 AM
Morning in the woods
As JB ‘s well-worn Toyota pick up made it’s way up the Old Country Road to the landing. His mind was filled with the job. He was wondering if the skidder diver was up there yet, looking for evidence of his pickup having made the trip in over the ruff road up to the landing. JB was thinking of the trees he had down, only three that he could think of, and where was he going to start in this morning.
Coming up over the last ridge, the landing came in to sight. It was an old farmstead. The cellar hole was off to one side of the clearing. No skidder driver there yet. That was both good and bad. It meant JB had some time, but it also meant that he would maybe be missing the skidder driver to talk to before he headed off into the woods. Off to the side of the landing, over by the old cellar hole was a parking spot. The spot was well out of the way so the truck wouldn’t get hit by either the skidder or by a log as it was pushed around on the landing.
Coming to a stop in the same spot he had parked in for the last four months, he looked out over the landing. They had better then a truckload of logs on the landing. That meant the log truck would be in this morning. The skidder was parked over by the fuel tank. JB gave a thought as to weather it had been fueled the night before or weather that was one more thing that would slow down the start of the day.
Getting out of the truck JB felt the aches and pains of the physical work he did. His back was a bit stiff. The legs had a bit of the hill climbing he had done the day before still in them. His left hand had an uncomfortable callus built up across the palm of the hand, from where the saw was clutched hard all day.
Going to the back of the pick-up, he got out his freshly filled fuel can and a fresh gallon jug of bar oil. He set them out on the tailgate of the truck. He then got his boots out of the passenger side of the truck. Taking off his street shoes, he put on the logging boots. They were heavy leather, with golf cleats sticking out of the sole. The heavy boots slid right on, it was like putting the harness on a horse, getting him ready for work.
The landing smelled of mud, freshly cut wood, and a mid September morning, all mix together. The birds were singing over head in the big birch that grew out of the old cellar hole. A squirrel looked curiously at him from the top of the pile of logs.
After the boots came the chaps, an abbreviated set of leggings that caught most of the oil off the saw and were designed to ward off stray chain saws. JB put the fuel and oil jugs on the skidder in a place where they wouldn’t fall off on the ruff trip into the woods. He took a new wedge he had bought that morning and put it in his back pocket. He was ready to set off on the half-mile walk into the woods, to where the show was he was working on.
Following the skid trail into the woods, JB was glade he had the sure-footed boots on. The muddy trail was slippery in spots, but with the boots, when he places a foot, it stayed where it was placed.
After JB was out of sight of the landing, he heard the chains hitting against the up-rights of the log truck as it made its way up the Old County Road to the landing. This was good. It meant they would have one truckload out for the day right at the start, with a chance of getting another before the day was over. It meant with the big wood they were going to be bringing out, they would have more space on the landing. Some of these big trees took up most of an empty landing. It also meant that the skidder would take just a bit longer to get into the woods for that first hitch.
JB came to his camp form the day before. The two matching saws were there, and his fuel and oil jugs. His axe was in a freshly cut stump and his wedges there in the holster belt. He fueled the saws, checked the cutting edges, they were good for the start of a day. He was, after all, cutting softwood today. Snapping the wedge belt on over the chaps, he garbed the pair of saws and set off to find the first tree of a new day.
Off to the downhill side of the trail was a grove of large pines. It looked like their day had come. Each tree was better then a yard trough at breast height. They had beautiful straight stems reaching up over the smaller birches and maples in the area. No better way to start a day, then the taking down of a few really big trees.
Setting one saw off out of the way, JB started the other. He adjusted the helmet so the ear protectors where snug, took a good look up the tree to see how it wanted to fall, and bent over to start another day’s work.
The first cut is very important. They all are. The first one is the cut that establishes how much stump is going to be left behind, and how much of the biggest part of the log is going to go off to the mill. The first cut is a horizontal cut, placed down just as low as possible. The line at the end of the first cut is one side of the hinge that the tree will pivot on to fall to the earth. Where that first cut stops is critical. It needs to go in from a quarter to a third of the way into the base of the tree. The back of the cut needs to be a straight line. A hinge that has a pivot point that isn’t a straight line will not work as a hinge. Because the cutting part of the bar is only 23 inches, the cut needs to be made from two sides. The second side of the first cut is done with the pushing backside of the bar. The next cut is a 45-degree cut, made from above the first to intersect it right at the back of the first cut. This will remove a wedge shaped piece, leaving a notch in the base of the tree. The back of the notch is perpendicular to the direction of the fall.
With pine sawdust now all over him and the smell of two stoke smoke in the air. JB looks up to have another look at the tree. The way it is now cut decides the way it is going to fall. In this case it looks like it is going to come down right on a smaller maple and a few birches. The birches can fend for themselves, but the maple needs to be cut down before the pine is felled.
The pine is still nearly as strong as it was before he started. JB steps into the path the pine will take and quickly fells and limbs the smaller maple. This makes a hole for the giant pine to fall into.
Making sure the axe is right there, and the other saw is out of the way, JB cuts into the back of the tree at the same level as the first cut. As soon as the bar of the saw is into the tree far enough, he places a wedge in the cut. This will keep the tree from having any thoughts of going back and pinching the saw. As the saw works its way in the tree sighs a bit and gives a slight lean in the direction JB has asked it to go. Time to switch over to the far side, the back cut is too long to all be made from one side. A quick lookup the tree to see how she is doing, the back cut starts to spread as the saw goes deeper. It is time to find a safe place to be while the giant pine crashes down to earth. JB steps back at an angle to the direction of fall. Staying to the up hill side of the stump and taking three big steps back from where he had been cutting. The big pine leans slowly at first, then picks up speed. On its way down it brushes the birches and speeds downward. CRASH!! The limbs snap and send sticks flying as the monster tree hits the ground.
After the excitement is over and the giant is slain, JB climbs up on the butt end of the tree, and starts his trip to the top, walking up the tree, as it lies on the ground. He takes all the limbs he can get to, making sure he gets all the ones to his left side as he makes his way up the tree. Some limbs are under pressure with the weight of the tree on them. It is sort of a sense one gains to know witch side to start cutting the big limbs from. One side will pinch, the other will snap. The trunk JB walks on gets smaller and the branches bigger as JB works towards the top of the tree. When the stem is down to the size of JB’s thigh, it is time to top the tree. The tip of the tree will be staying in the woods. It must be cut so it lies down to within four feet of the ground at the highest point. On the return trip JB again makes sure he has all the limbs on his left. But now the tree has rolled a bit. It turned slightly as he took off the top. Now the remainder of the limbs are accessible.
This tree is eighty feet long, the stem that will be pulled out of the woods. Two this size and he has a hitch. That will be all the skidder can pull. This stem will be cut in to five or six, maybe even seven logs on the landing. It then needs to be pushed up out of the way so the next hitch has room to be worked up.
It was going to be a good day. The fall air was cool to work in. There were still plenty of nice trees to be harvested. They had one load on its way out and had another one in the making. Yes it was going to be a good day.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 07:51 PM
I guess I put this topic to bed for the night.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 07:15 PM
I have been blessed in that I have been to most all of the places mentioned as well as within 50 miles of each of the posting people’s homes.
Any place is good when you are with people you love. I had a great time in the highlands of Scotland. I had a good time in the Australian out back. My stay in New Zealand and Australia would have been far better had one of you nice ladies been there with me. Laos in the mountains was a pleasurable place for me. I was there through the summer and fall. The weather in western China and South East Asia that time of year is very pleasant. It is made heavenly by being there with someone you really are attracted to. Malaysia is one of those special places where the beaches never stop and they cook seafood for you right on the beach. I wish I had had company during my trek in Malaysia . Fiji was not my most favorite of the South Pacific islands. I liked the Christmas Islands better. You talk about waves! And great beaches! Mix that with nearly free scrumptious food and you have what I think of as a paradise.
Now Switzerland is a place that I would not mind living. I like the people, the mountains and the climate. Summer in the Swiss Alps is grand and the winter is every bit as good as our Rockies.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 05:58 PM
If and when I have a cat, the animal will get ample afection.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 03:38 PM
I should use the quote feature.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 03:37 PM
love I had expected it to be colder today as we had a light dusting of snow last evening, but the sun is shining and it feels pretty good outside.smooched
The day here turned glorious after the freezing rain of my trip to work stopped. The sun came out and it warmed up. The five inches of snow we had this week is all but gone now.
love I do not think I have seen the New Century Version so I shall look it up online and cross reference it against the NIV and KJV. That's one thing I like about bible study, there will be usually one person with a different version (I know not many have KJV anymore) and it is interesting when we read the same passages and compare them.love
I again apologize. The Lord is working on me I guess.:smile: I need to have more tolerance for the other versions of the Bible. I have all the versions on this computer. I can cross reference them. (Anyone who does not have E-sword, needs to down load it. www.Esword.net E-sword is a free Bible study software. Once you have it you will be hooked on it.) I find having all the versions very helpful when someone quotes something and I want to find it. It is often times from some other version. When I was first saved and for my formative years as a young milk drinking Christian, I had a nice NIV study Bible. Someone stole it out of my car. I hope they read it.
I prepared for a talk last winter about the differing Bibles. To do this I read two books and talked to several people. The evidence came in loud and clear, the King James is the one. I know I need to be more tolerant. I am more tolerant on a good day with plenty of sleep and a good meal in me.
love “I really believe that God can speak to us through any version we prefer to read, so it shouldn't be a matter that would cause divisions among believers"love
Help me to be understanding. Help me to be forgiving. I have the King James. I guess I should be happy I have it and can find the verses for all the other versions. If you feel I am dividing a group, please, turn away and do not read anything I say.
love I like hot cider too, I do not know why I never had hot cider in England but I tried it when up in New Hampshire, one New Year's after a sled ride. I just had a thought that made me smile. Brits drink cold cider and warm beer. (although that's probably changing).love
In Deven and Cornwall, that foot that sticks out to the east from the southern part of England, they call the cider down there “Scrumpy” I thought it tasted pretty good. I had a half pint, and ordered another pint, and maybe another. I remember that the Youth Hostel warden was not happy with me. That stuff will make your legs very wobbly.
Back in the days when I lived in New Hampshire I used to work on a apple orchard for the winter months doing some tree trimming. They would still be harvesting the drops when we came in to prune the trees. They would press the drops into cider. Part of the cider they let go to vinegar. They had the best cider vinegar I have ever tasted. The sweet cider was drank both hot and cold. On hot fall day cold cider is a great thirst quencher. I like it hot with a big dash of maple syrup in it. (The back side of the orchard was a sugar bush.)
With the weather today it would have been nice to start off with a nice hot cider, have big helping of scrumpy for lunch (I don’t drink any more) and then have a nice cold cider after work. Today was one of those strange weather days.
I hope you all had a good day. I can rest assured that you all had a better day than I did. Work was hard. I am thankful I was able to do all the work I was asked to do. I really am thankful.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 04:00 AM
I lived most of my adult life in the Henniker, Bradford and Warner area. Some day i will get back there.
JB

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 02:04 AM
I go to church in Waynesboro. I live just a stone's throw from the state line in Maryland.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Sat 12/08/07 01:31 AM
Happy birthday mary

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 06:11 PM
Been to all those places. They are all good. (Except I would not pay to go back to Paris) I liked Bangkok and Alice Springs. State-side I would have to give it to the countryside of Navada outside the cities. They have some very nice farm land.
I could make a good tour guide...

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 05:56 PM
NIV is all under copywite laws. You should not be able to find it online. It is a book writen by man for fithy lucre's sake, not a book written by God Like the King James Bible.
There I go again!

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 04:57 PM
I have to apologize. Don’t come down too hard on me. I have no patients for all the worldly versions of the Bible. I go King James all the way. I have a Thomson chain KJV and a Scofield. Those are the two hard copy Bibles I use. For most things I rely on E-Sword, the electronic Edge. www.e-sword.net
I have added all the add-ons to my E-sword. I am able to go anywhere in the Bible in just a few key strokes. Quote me all the near misses from other translations and I get upset. God is working on giving me patients. I still have a ways to go on this one point.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 04:35 PM
My belief in God has little to do with my belief in angels. I do not know if that is right, just or good, but this is the way I believe.
I picture angels to be any given person. When I am walking through Wal-Mart, I see all those differing people. I sometimes wonder if some of these people are angels, working for maybe one of the other people I see combing the isles looking for something.
I think the wings thing came, again, don’t tell me I am wrong, from the fact that, as I see it, angels can flit here there and anywhere. They do not actually need wings to do this. They do not fly as a bird flies, but they do have an ability much like a bird, in that they can pick up form one place and arrive at another place. That is, I think, where the idea of their having wings stems from.
I sometimes wonder when someone happens into my life, if perhaps they have been sent, if maybe they are working as angels to help me along the way.
The girl who posted this thread could, I think, maybe be an angel. If not, she is a very good human. :heart:

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 04:03 PM
Edited by JBTHEMILKER on Fri 12/07/07 04:03 PM
so maja,
how many have looked at your profile? I know I did.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 03:52 PM
I have found a very obscure version of the Bible. I like the way this translation says things. Some of you may have heard of this obscure version, it was the only English language Bible for over 400 years. It is called the King James Bible. The approved Bible, or the 1612 King James approved Bible.

Genesis 3
8. And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.
Genesis 2
15. And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 03:44 PM
James 5:16
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
This verse is one of my all time favorites. Today, the prayers of many got me through a very trying day. I thank You all for your prayers.
JB

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 04:22 AM
Blankpage.. How many veiws do you have?

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 04:20 AM
You know... Creepy like a 21 year-old from Midlletown NY who posts pictures too sexy to be shown.

JBTHEMILKER's photo
Fri 12/07/07 04:08 AM
Wild... Now you have 68
and a good morning to you.

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 15