Community > Posts By > jaish

jaish's photo
Wed 04/06/22 07:38 AM
Edited by jaish on Wed 04/06/22 08:11 AM

Losses of Russia and Ukraine in 5 weeks of war
Losses announced by Russia
1351 Russian soldiers were killed and 3,825 others were wounded
Ukrainian forces losses
More than 14 thousand killed and about 16 thousand wounded.
The Air Force and Air Defenses are almost completely destroyed and the Navy no longer exists.
Destruction of 1,815 out of 2,416 tanks and armored vehicles of the Ukrainian army, 762 artillery, 124 out of 152 warplanes and 77 out of 149 helicopters of the Ukrainian forces
Destroyed 341 drones, 148 out of 300 air defense systems, 117 out of 300 radars of the Ukrainian army, and 195 multiple missile launchers.
Targeting 16 major military airports of the Ukrainian army, destroying 39 bases and depots that contained up to 70% of the total reserves of war vehicles, material materials and fuel for the army, in addition to huge quantities of ammunition estimated to have a total weight of 1.54 million tons.
Russian forces have targeted 30 major military-industrial facilities in Ukraine with missiles
Destruction of 127 bridges in Ukraine, blaming "Ukrainian nationalists" for blowing them up in order to slow the progress of Russian forces.
Ukraine announced losses
Ukraine has not announced a new death toll from the military since the third week, and only talked about economic losses, which exceeded 565 billion dollars.

As for Russia, Ukraine declared:
17,200 soldiers, 127 fighters, 129 helicopters and 597 tanks.
Destruction of 1,710 armored vehicles, 303 cannons, 96 missile systems, and 54 air defense missile systems.
Destroying 1,178 military vehicles, 7 ships and gunboats, 73 fuel vehicles and 71 drones.

Will supporting the continuation of the war benefit Ukraine? Or is the best agreement to end the war through negotiations?

From your figures, Russia backed off from Kiev; after incurring huge losses.

Around 5 or 6 negotiations held; all failed! In fact, Zelensky in his recent speech in UN has appealed for tighter sanctions on Russia meaning countries like Germany should stop buying Russian oil.

As far as Russia is concerned 'Phase 1 is over'. Water supply to Crimea restored. Donbass region having larger Russian speaking population - is annexed.

the signal from West is, Russia may not cross into western Ukraine, near Poland. What does this mean? After all Russia does not have the population size to control Eastern Ukraine. Does it mean accepting a new puppet government in Kiev all over again?

Frankly, except for Poland, nobody is worried. The only cause of concern is wheat supply from Ukraine and I suppose division of Ukraine is the secret goal of future negotiations. what

There has been a small lobby in the White House (for a long time) to apply tariffs on China. Now it's easy to say, If US sanctions on Russia succeeds then who is to say China won't be next?

If Russia and China go down under then who else is remaining? Why not India because then all of Asia - from Syria to Japan - come under the influence of the USA. If I can think thus far; imagine what my government is thinking!

Frankly, Ukraine is an excuse. Things like CRT imposition in schools, open southern borders is all to keep the American public distracted while this proxy WW III is begun.

jaish's photo
Tue 04/05/22 09:57 PM

I don't like lists.

Love to hear what you like.

I've been trying to impress you since 2011 but with these kind of incomplete sentences how will I know how to please. what

jaish's photo
Tue 04/05/22 04:16 PM
Edited by jaish on Tue 04/05/22 04:21 PM
Probably the richest people in the world, Sweden was left out deliberately and this brings us to a point:

1. Japan GDP -wise no. 3

Yet, a small earthquake happens and people stand on a soup line

Seems like Saudi Arabia,

Ruling family is wealthy

Saudis, the common citizen is not!!!
(worked in Rabigh, KSA for 2 years)
The government doles out some maintenance cash to the common man, and also a bare minimum per child.
For a Saudi citizen to get married, his prospective bride's father enquires if he owns a house, 3 times more expensive than in US
So a man having a house may get married 4 times while ...

2. Sweden,

GDP is low: 0.5 trillion

Per Capita Income: $52,000

what

This is the country that keeps dishing out excess money as Nobel Prize, aid to countries, etc.

inflation 4.3%
highest since September of 2008,

Where do rich people spend money?

May be it correlates with this list of price increases?

Housing: (5% increase)
pressure came from prices of housing and utilities (4.9%), namely costs of owning the home rose together with higher electricity prices.

Food & alcohol, (5%);
Transport (9%), largely
fuel & rising car prices
recreation and culture (2.2%)
furnishings and household equipment (6.5%),
restaurants and hotels (4.4%).

/

jaish's photo
Tue 04/05/22 03:58 AM
Edited by jaish on Tue 04/05/22 04:25 AM

Inflation March 2021 to March 2022 (Y.o.Y)
AP News & others

N. Korea - - - -55.4 % - still firing missiles!!!

Iran - - - - - - 34.5 %

Sri Lanka - - - 18.7 % - Street protests, cabinet resigned

Pakistan - - - -12.7 % - Opposition wants PM to resign

Spain: - - - - - 9.8 % - - 35 year high

US: - - - - - - -7.9 % -- highest since 1982

Germany: - - - - 7.3 % - 40 year high

UK: ---------- - 6.2 % - -30 year high

India - - - - - -6.0 % - poorer, sustainable at 3%

Saudi Arabia - - 1.6 % - break line

China - - - - - -0.9 % - slowed

Japan - - - - - -0.5 % -stagnated

Vietnam - - - - -2.4 % leaf does not stir

Yemen - - - - - -0.7 % - leaf falls not renewed

Russia Y.o.Y - - - 10.0 % random number, No figures available

Since Ukraine war: 15% ( last 2 months) maybe?

Sanctions forecast: 40% (more than Iran, maybe?)

Turkey: - -- - - 61 % - - Russian oil sanctions??

Diesel price rose by 32% over 1 month.
Food by - - - - - - 70% over a month.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/turkeys-inflation-hits-61-climbing-20-year-high-83858160

jaish's photo
Sun 04/03/22 08:14 PM
Edited by jaish on Sun 04/03/22 08:34 PM
Thanks a lot, OldKid,

Just occurred, the coincidence between your avatar name and this thread on reminisces of kid times, happy

It was based much more on the skills necessary to become a self-sufficient person.

Some of the first experiences where with the Tinker toys and erector sets. I remember building a simple robot to collect my Valentines cards in grade school. Simply several boxes fastened together along with legs and covered in decorative paper. It had several Christmas light bulbs powered by a battery but didn't do anything else.

Today there are very few everyday projects that I don't know how to do.

Seems like each box with legs lined up with light bulbs wired to 'a battery' in series, the result would result in a simple 'robotic train'. :smile:
Magnificent, at age 10 or so.

If there are any parents reading, then

.. first experiences were with the Tinker toys and erector sets

Reminds me of an article by a chemist (long ago) where he mentioned how he played with MECANO's chemistry set. Hats off to MECANO if they had come up with a safe chemistry set. I cannot imagine a 10 year old - taking a test tube of some mild acid and squeezing some drops of alkali and viewing the titration. Maybe citric acid and Dad's whisky?

Today MECANO has a kit for Robots - 4 feet tall;

Meccanoid G15 Robot comes with over one thousand phrases and voice recognition to make your personal robot more like your best friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jacYNATmhY8

Mimics movemennts!!!

Needs a suit though.

jaish's photo
Sun 04/03/22 01:12 PM
Edited by jaish on Sun 04/03/22 01:22 PM

Hi Bart,
seems like a storm in a tea cup.

All Joovist is saying was that wealth, power, size goes into the head of a man; any man.

Today US, tomorrow China ..,

Was Imperial Britannia till yesterday

United States what it is, the most ethnically and racially diverse country in the world.

Really? How did it happen?

The Chinese came in for the railroad tunneling. No point getting into others except ..,

As far as Indian origin US citizens are concerned you 'lured' the cream from India, their superior college education paid by taxpayers here, to drive your technology advancements.

All I'm saying is well .., I give up.

Oh, by the way;

Joovist hates everybody equally.

See his profile. Badgers are his friends.

thank you for proving my point. john and bart are talking about right now present day.

and you bring up the 1800's.the chinese paying the tongs to smuggle them into the US as cargo, are not coming here to work on rail roads and dig tunnels. they, like those back then, are coming here seeking a better life.
and what of those chinese (they were not just chinese) from back then, who's decedents, are thriving and are largely mixed blood.
should they hate america for the conditions of their past?.
or accept it as being part of their history, that made it possible for them to even exist now in the present?. and let them live much better lives then their ancestors did in their native land.

America is still the land of opportunity, and people are still willing to risk everything, even their lives, to get here.
and america is still the great melting pot.
it dont matter where in the world you are from.
once here odds are your desendents will have american mongrel mixed blood in their veins and be a mut, just like me.

:thumbsup:

Yes, to live in present moment.

jaish's photo
Sat 04/02/22 10:25 AM
Edited by jaish on Sat 04/02/22 10:28 AM
Hi Bart,
seems like a storm in a tea cup.

All Joovist is saying was that wealth, power, size goes into the head of a man; any man.

Today US, tomorrow China ..,

Was Imperial Britannia till yesterday

United States what it is, the most ethnically and racially diverse country in the world.

Really? How did it happen?

The Chinese came in for the railroad tunneling. No point getting into others except ..,

As far as Indian origin US citizens are concerned you 'lured' the cream from India, their superior college education paid by taxpayers here, to drive your technology advancements.

All I'm saying is well .., I give up.

Oh, by the way;

Joovist hates everybody equally.

See his profile. Badgers are his friends.

jaish's photo
Sat 04/02/22 10:04 AM

People usually fight for their country and especially their family if threatened. What I find strange and even sad is if the threat comes slowly and methodically and somehow justified by some wacky reasoning then it just keeps moving forward toward destruction of all that's good and decent

Yes, just like cancer. It can spread quickly and effect many areas. Hopefully it hasn’t spread enough to where it can’t be reversed come November mid-terms.

Okay, where or who, is the target?

Teachers are just following orders.
School Boards are following orders.
Board members are government employees - not elected

Authority over education purposes goes to the states
State departments follow orders from Governor's office.

Although Governor is elected - he is nominated by the Party and so blindly follows Party policy.

Once policy is implemented it is hard to reverse it.

Party policy is drafted by the minority community leadership who make the 0.1 to 0.5% vote count difference between the two parties.

They have the Dems in their pocket.

Add to this, women feel secure in the company of said minority community.

The said minority community is harmless; they are the decedents of victims.

It all goes back to the times when .., in the 1950s; and when in the 1900s in England and when ...

It is Karma, finally striking back.

No point trying to fight Karma.

There's no other weapon other than to live and leave behind a legacy of good Karma.

There maybe other ways.

One of them is to support Pence in 2024. He may swing in the moderate votes.

smokin

There maybe some points / errors in the 'flow' but overall, as you yourself pointed out, 'threat comes slowly ..' so if there are other ways to unite the Nation - great.

Nothing against anybody. After all, what happens in US today, happens in India tomorrow. We believe Karma as a cosmic law.

jaish's photo
Sat 04/02/22 04:53 AM
According to Britain's Defense Ministry.

Ukrainian and Russian negotiators are set to resume talks via video Friday ..,

However, there seemed little faith that the two sides would find agreement on their respective demands any time soon.

Ukrainian army in trenches are in a spot. It's raining & trenches flooding, mud caving; darned cold.

Problem exacerbated because Ukrainian army has run out of fuel which reminds me of:

https://mingle2.com/topic/618927

Zelensky baby, do speed up the negotiations won't you.

jaish's photo
Fri 04/01/22 03:56 AM
Edited by jaish on Fri 04/01/22 03:57 AM

As a teen, I was always interested in auto mechanics. My friends were interested in auto mechanics. We were farmers and worked on tractors and farming equipment a lot.

I originally majored in art...specifically, commercial art and graphics.
It was my passion for cars that drove my choices to pursue a career in the auto then truck technician field. I mastered it quickly and got certified.

As I read through, it is clear that you followed your interests & passions and built on it. Compared to this, my working years seem to be a series of accidents; like a ship hand jumping ships at every port to see the world. haha Actually was not so bad but when we compare, it reveals a bit more about ourselves. I have to thank you Tom, this has been a wonderful exercise.

There are of course gigantic economic differences between our countries so at best 'follow your passion' over here modifies to 'find passion in what one already has'
For instance, I did college project work in welding aluminum which as you know conducts heat so fast that only low heat tig welding is possible. The welding fumes disgusted me so I took a job in an assembly line. (jobs were scarce then and are now)

The monotony bored me so after 3 years, went back to construction & welding - always jobs there since Nobody likes live away from family.

Has been a good life, and this comparison helped to see how, being in India, how fortunate life has been. Thanks again.

jaish's photo
Fri 04/01/22 12:35 AM
Prime Minister of Hungary drives to work without security.

Hungary has denied Ukraine's request for guns.

Biden calls Viktor Orbán, the PM; 'dictator & thug'.

He had called Putin, 'a criminal'

So is US planning an invasion of Hungary as quid-pro-quo to Russia's Ukraine?

Hold on B, it's a bear trap; adjacent Serbia, Croatia are still remains in ruins.

jaish's photo
Thu 03/31/22 09:57 PM
Edited by jaish on Thu 03/31/22 09:59 PM
Hi Joovisst,
Why not consider living / working in India for a year or so?

Builds credibility.

India is a union of states - not a monolithic country. From West to East - North to South - everything varies, climate, ethnicity, native language (Tamil script is quite different from Hindi), (religion multiple), cultural festivals, food & forestry.

Some states are relatively wealthy and safe

Even as a Union, we have political strife, over water, jobs, etc. Imagine 25 states, each the size of France - 1.5 billion people - at war.

India is also a bulwark for smaller nations, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka

In times of crisis, like earthquakes; they happily lean on us. No issues.

You will enjoy Sri Lanka though.

jaish's photo
Thu 03/31/22 08:39 PM

My children have told me they do many things I used to do when they were kids. They admnit to teaching their own children those things as well.

Hi Tom,
From the science forum I know that you were a mechanical engineer, now retired. Also that you are a self-made man, something that for us Indians takes a long time, if at all. As Jordan Peterson says, 95% of our memories is 'copied', i.e., 95% dead wood - and this is true within certain contexts.

Anyway, permit me to ask with the intent of this thread being useful for parents of children in their middle school years - 10 to 15

With reference to lesson plans from companies: https://mingle2.com/topic/621987

What I would like to know is the mechanical engineering side of you - because one we enter the digital world - we are into white collared management. We abandon outdoors, factory floors and lose touch with a majority (in my country) who are underprivileged.

Some of the thigs you write echo and reinforce my thoughts so The reason for this enquiry.

If this thread works as a DIY booklet for fathers and single mothers - the purpose is served.
Thanks.

jaish's photo
Thu 03/31/22 08:19 PM
Thanks Delightful,
But for your action, I would have felt this vase had shattered.

No offense meant to fellow members / critics, I have had my share of mistakes and still learning .., the art of constructive criticism. Mingle does this, blocking opens up new, wonderful venues from within all because you want to be here, among friends.

flowers

jaish's photo
Wed 03/30/22 08:50 PM
:thumbsup:
Speechless!

jaish's photo
Wed 03/30/22 07:29 PM
Edited by jaish on Wed 03/30/22 07:29 PM
Hi Tom,
I asked for water and you've given me a glass of milk!
thanks.

jaish's photo
Wed 03/30/22 02:53 AM
Hi Tom,
I must admit I had to look up 'Pelicudar books' and this led me to a blog:

What Series of Books Did You Love Most as a Child?

https://pattinase.blogspot.com/2012/06/what-series-of-books-did-you-love-most.html

And now I'm of the opinion that if one can write a science fiction for children, just one

Or even a small set of poems for kids ..,

then life's purpose is served. :smile:

jaish's photo
Tue 03/29/22 08:14 PM

Maybe Biden spoke what he truly believes about any leader of any country he sees as non-democratic! Given enough time, he will start more of a war than we are already in!!!

As much as Biden would like to crater Russia - by which he fulfills the economic monopoly dream under which domestic promises like 'infra bill'; 'forgiving crippling student loans', etc, can be deferred till Dems gain majority in mid term elections .., and

As much as Boris Johnson wants to remain PM
and this demands he please teacher Biden, for which he has to play the lead student or class monitor for Europe ..,

(as Blair was to Bush)

It is the Guardian that is calling the shots. The reason is an accident of geography: GMT running through England. The guardian publishes - 6 hrs before US news media and there's a fair understanding that the front page news of all media will carry similar stories - captioned differently with poetic license.

In other words, the headlines I read today in India, is Guardian's yesterday news.

So if Guardian suppresses a news item A and determines B to be in front page; the NYT or WP cannot simply put A in front page and suppress B.

If you think this is wild imagination, talk to former CNN reporters in Australia; or retd. professionals in Times of India as I did. There's an affiliation.

So if the Owners of Guardian decide Ukraine needs Polish fighter planes Biden's job reduces to supplying US planes to replace the Polish owned MIGs & if he delays, Congress screams.

With the mis-statements from Biden , Putin may take that as a threat to his regime and escalate this war to involve the US directly. Scary stuff going on.

Fortunately, DoD explained in kindergarten language to Biden (what we already know in Mingle) that replacing Polish planes with Fx will be 1 step closer to nuclear and the first call to go nuclear will be with the Russians. Big difference.

So Biden pulls out the 'chemical weapons' card to improve the odds - Putin hurries to meet Zelensky - and the World waits.

In other words, replace the Owners of the Guardian and we will get to know a more accurate picture of the negotiations.

jaish's photo
Tue 03/29/22 03:04 PM
Edited by jaish on Tue 03/29/22 03:19 PM

My father collected Edgar Rice Burroughs books.
I read every one because they were there.

Older - I noticed I have a tendency to read science fiction and fantasy. I write SF flash fiction much like I read in those ERB Barsoom and Pelicudar books

We read the T comics; great fun but definitely not the same thing.

In my opinion, science fiction is the highest form of creativity; HG Wells 'Men on Moon' floored me; I don't mind rereading. There have been others, including one by a scientist, don't recall; nothing close to Wells. The 'war on worlds' prank, would've got him 10 years - today.

I'm thinking you are looking for associations and their impact on your life or your offspring's lives.

Sadly, those influences are both positive and negative. Happily, I've gained the wisdom to keep the positive and discard the negative.

:thumbsup: Great observation Tom.
People here don't talk about such things - so we still carry some baggage.

I read earlier that you've some fiction written down; and I think you should not delay publishing it; even if it's 20 pages, unfinished, (why should science stories have sex, monsters, or a comforting ending anyway? It's like a runaway train. Try stopping it.). Later on for part 2.

Since 2015, I have been writing on & off; after 500 words, Google - and there are already books on same topic. Still not bad. Some thoughts get rubbed off in Mingle.

With present topic 'Impressions' - now like the reading experience, it's mostly common sense; but now comes a choice:

What should kids be reading? (generation on I- phones watching cartoons & games)

Rowling? - she's no Burroughs

or, <nothing comes to mind>

So search for next topic - another evening, another 1000 words - flow with the crowd.

jaish's photo
Tue 03/29/22 01:17 PM
Delhi High Court pulled up Twitter for rubbishing a Hindu goddess and added,

'Twitter would've been more sensitive if it was on another religion' to which

Twitter replied, 'Users post all kinds of content and Twitter cannot block all of those accounts' to which

The Court observed, 'If this is the logic, why have you blocked Mr. Trump?' To which

no reply!

Although a committee from US Congress held hearings on Google, Facebook & Twitter on biased promotions of news, videos and tweets; no US court has looked into this.

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 24 25