Community > Posts By > jaish

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 08:19 PM
Edited by jaish on Mon 05/16/22 08:25 PM
'What is Gravity?' my daughter didn't ask this question; she was prompted by her grandmother who was temporarily taking care of her. I must say I messed it up by saying, "If your mother and I jump from the roof who will land on the ground first?" - You all can imagine the stir it created - my Ex is a plump lady. This was 20 years ago.

Anyway, at age 10, textbooks carry lessons on nature - introduce big words 'photosynthesis', burning candle - combustion and carbon dioxide and density - why ice floats - and through all this, something in the child begins to slowly shut down.
To counter this, a couple of home experiments may help.

So here's a homily way to introduce photosynthesis.
As usual I'm looking forward to your comments. It's for the book, remember?

Begin with this 'silly' experiment at home:
Fastest way to empty a bottle - YouTube

Traditional way: Turn it upside down
– takes 20 second for a 2 litre water bottle

Outside air travelling inside the bottle as air bubbles glug into the bottle - resisting smooth outflow

Second method: Shake or rotate the bottle as you turn it upside down

The water flows out in a rotating spiral / vortex creating a thin path in the center for outside air to flow inside!
Time – 7 seconds

Third method: Take a straw longer than bottle; and insert it completely inside the bottle and hold it in position as you turn it upside down (video shows demonstrator bending straw and blowing air through it into the bottle as he turns it sidewise and then upside down – not necessary)

Time – 2 or 3 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpjIeBR24AM

At 2nd and 3rd stage of exp., ask the kid to explain the reason?

He may struggle, a good sign - then talk about vacuum created and air pressure. - so far, so good.

Once it's clear, ask him, 'how do trees suck up water from the ground to their leaves?'

If he says 'I don't know.'

Then tell him, 'I don't either. I only know that the sun evaporates water moisture off the leaves and creates a 'straw effect'.

Some day he comes back and says another big word 'osmosis' - and then you know he will find out all about photosynthesis and osmosis - by himself in the higher classes.

Now someone may say this is all 'Round-about'. I think the purpose is to get the kid to find out rather than plying him with useless info. Why care about osmosis anyway?
==xx

My turn: Question is do you recall any such 'seeding moment / questions' in class 3 or 4? Does not have to do with science. My daughter once asked (she was 5 or 6) during some debate during dinner about Hindu and Muslim religions, 'What religion is our cat?'

Read somewhere that Einstein received a compass as a boy and fascinated, he carried it with him always. As boys we all have received toy compasses - why didn't we carry the question in our pockets?

happy

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 04:11 PM

Y'see, common sense requires commonality. We are from different parts of the world with different cultures.

Plus, my experiences with my children happened 30 years ago and probably do not quite fit even the children in my own culture today.

Your project is 'your project' written for your culture with your morals and goals. For children who live in your social environment.

I was personally involved with my family but not all parents have the time or the will to be.

:thumbsup:

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 10:13 AM
Edited by jaish on Mon 05/16/22 10:20 AM

My school was populated by 80% farming communities.
Many kids were normally up at 4am and already did chores before school. A seven year old feeds livestock. Many of my friends saw sunrises every day, if they were not in the barn.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing about different habits in cities and towns. Cities here, life is crazy. Kids go for summer vacations to grandparents who generally live in small towns and they get a big kick out of it. One has to book rail tickets 1 to 2 months in advance due to the vacation rush.

Instead of 'forcing the child to do what you want, try peak their interest and let them ask you to do what you want.
Show them pictures of sunrises
-----

make it their idea then 'give in and say okay'.

Yeah, again I was thinking on similar lines.

In the booklet, I'm presenting 2 options:
a) sunrise moments - as originally proposed

b) beach picnic moments - as Crystal suggested because while sun-rise may or may not be an awe moment for someone at 7 or 8; 100s of adults walk on the pavement next to beech but very few stand and stare at the sky at sun-break and

since Planets are in class III textbooks here, so sunrise at 9 or 10 may be more appropriate.

In fact, I was thinking of starting a new post for Class III kids, but got stuck thinking how boys fight during recess - worse than monkeys. And when teacher asks who started the fight - the gang of 4 goes silent. True story. Maybe in the new post.

Thanks all, for the enrichment including Slim Gym. Indian fathers say the same dum thing and return to sleep.
--xx

Maybe if someone is interested to read the draft - word document - no strings attached, I'm leaving my email ID in the profile page.

Or, if Tom obliges - he could browse through the document and comment - 'ok' and then you guys can pick up the copy from Tom - (and do whatever you like - as long as it's for personal or your school's use - just fine)

How's that with you Tom?

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 07:27 AM
Edited by jaish on Mon 05/16/22 07:28 AM
Oil prices and wheat shortage are expected to trip 69 countries and bust their economies - as per Indian channel

Sri Lanka is already bankrupt

Egypt - largest importer of wheat
has reserves for 60 days

Tunisia - foreign debt marginally exceeds GDP

Lebanon - already bread shortage

Argentina - approached IMF for a 45 billion dollar load to refinance debt

El Salvador

Peru

--
Kenya Debt is 70% of GDP and rising
Kenya has been a leading country in Africa

-- others --

What does this mean to US and Europe.

Keep the borders open.
We are coming.
1.7 billion of us.

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 03:36 AM
Edited by jaish on Mon 05/16/22 03:45 AM

No one over 70 should be allowed to hold office.
Personally I think having that limit at 65 is better.
It'd be much better to have younger people in office --> a new broom sweeps clean and young people are more in touch with society.
It's generally a natural tendency to get more stuck in ways and become stagnant the older we get.]/b]
Someone in the prime of his/her life is still more fluent & flexible.

Having the limit at 65 would be much better. And if normally a 2nd term is possible, that shouldn't be done then either, or a shorter term, maybe 2 years, to prevent having an old geezer running things.

Exactly!

And marrying a woman 20 years younger or,
having a speech writer born in India
(IT TAKES 1 GENERATION BORN & LIVING IN US FOR 2ND GEN TO AMERICANIZE GENUINELY)

... does not help

As Dr Peter Jordan, clinical psychologist, Toronto said,
95% of our memories are not even our own - dead wood!!!

Great man is living in cold war era.
Half the problems, wouldn't exist if younger gen was in charge
Imagine asking countries to go green at gun point.
It's not failure of leadership, Its absence of leadership.

Note: Included those pictures of Indians for levity
not to hurt anyone here.

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 01:04 AM
Edited by jaish on Mon 05/16/22 01:08 AM
And Biden's speech writer:

How in ell did tech support breach into WH?

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 12:45 AM
Edited by jaish on Mon 05/16/22 12:45 AM
Meanwhile here's the picture of Trump's ghost writer

- excellent look-alike

The kid is getting married to his 18 year-old GF in reel life - broadcast by Sony in Indian TV

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 12:34 AM
Edited by jaish on Mon 05/16/22 12:35 AM

Conservative figures including former Trump administration officials, current members of Congress, professors, and media personalities have signed onto a statement lamenting what they call "an age of increasing national self-doubt"

Published in National Review

What about the World!!!!!

Conservatives blaming leftist ideologies for bringing down national confidence - is ridiculous.

At 75, relishing on the back of ghost writers aged 12 clearly indicates that at 80 - one is depending on the parietal lobe which is what matures during the 7 to 12 year childhood age. Joe is leaning on Jill who is leaning on ...

The pre-frontal / frontal cortices are done for.

Clearly, the thread Biden's mental challenge is tip of the National iceberg of old men who have no stake in the future.

Sorry, no offence to seniors - I stopped driving and I'm 65.

jaish's photo
Mon 05/16/22 12:22 AM
Here's the case on Trump - 75 years young.

THE United States Department of Labor is to launch a full investigation into Donald Trump’s Twitter account today after it was revealed a 12-year-old Indian boy ghostwrote for the American business magnate for just 12 cents an hour.

Mohammed Petal, who studies English in school, admitted to working for the Trump foundation since 2010, aged only seven.

“My father applied for an online job advertisement for a ghost writer,” recalled Mohammed, speaking from his modest home in Bali. “I used to read a lot of books on American business and infrastructure so at the start I used to give him a hand. Then one day my father died after falling off the train on the way to visit my mother in hospital.

“Since then I decided to continue his work on the Donald Trump twitter account”.

Trump’s spokesman Michael Cohen, contacted his father’s email address with new twitter guidelines.

“Mr. Trump was hoping to run for president at the time, so they had bullet points laid out for me to attack Barack Obama’s policies,” he added. “I felt it was a good time to tell them my father had died a year ago and that I was actually the one writing for them. Michael was angry at first, but then renegotiated payments with me from twenty cents an hour, to twelve. I didn’t mind as I enjoyed the work”.

“I suppose it’s like what a method actor does – I pretend I’m a senile old white man with clarity issues and it all just flows out through me,” Mohammed said proudly.

“My favourite tweet has to be my Little Wayne quote I did: ‘These hoes think they classy, well that’s the class I’m skippen’.

“I wrote that while I was in school, but Mr. Trump later deleted it”.

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/04/28/child-labour-inquiry-as-indian-boy-12-admits-ghostwriting-tweets-for-donald-trump/

If true - then it explains the rollicking nature of Trump's tweets and why Trump does not want to renew his account.

jaish's photo
Sun 05/15/22 11:59 PM
Look at Mitch McConnel - 80 and hot.
He visited Ukraine, and what was a 22 Billion aid proposal from the White House that got jacked up to 40 billion by Congress - Mitch wants this to go through ASAP.

--xx--

I think I will take a day off on Nov, 20; Robinette's birthday, just to stay on the right side of history.

jaish's photo
Sun 05/15/22 03:41 AM
Hi Crystal,
I don't know how I missed your post.
Just looked up the net for pictures of West Java, Anjer beach. Wonderful.

You are right. Instead of focusing on sunrise it maybe wonderful to simply enjoy the beach / picnic. The sunrise moment can be for a later time like when they are 9 or 10 years old - and if they want to.

Some nice pointers. Good to hear these from you.

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 10:57 PM
Edited by jaish on Sat 05/14/22 11:10 PM
We Indians are bilinguals!!

And it's all through school - extra, extraordinary phenomenon that our scientists have not investigated.

Another passing thought...

Sounds and tones in which words are crooned to a baby, these tonal sounds are the first objects a baby recognizes. It is baby music, something he responds to emotionally even before he develops his vision. Apparently, sounds and tones are the bottom most layer in the Temporal Lobe and this maybe Nature’s artful way to provide us with precise control over the vocal cords.

Hiya Blondey, are you there?

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 08:34 PM
Edited by jaish on Sat 05/14/22 08:36 PM
India - Gasoline prices: USD 6.10 / Gal - Regular
May 15, 2022

14 Mar prices = $5.6 / Gal - due to taxes - retail

50 cents in 2 months!

US avg in Mar - 4.33

In May - - 4.37 --- just 5 cents!!

Biden says 'No problem, he's releasing 1 Mil barrels / day for next 6 months.

If Indian rate hike is an index then by 6 months, oil price here would hike up by $1.20 to $1.50

Another reason to negotiate for peace or
hang on for 6 months till Biden liberates Ukraine and restarts drilling at the Balkan oil reserves.

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 02:35 PM

fatigue .. I am not sure waking them so early the day before a school day is such a great idea .

emergency toilet

:thumbsup:

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 09:01 AM
Had to read it slow.

Some very fine lines indeed
I already know you are a man of deep peace -
haha.

N_D_
_world_Is_
_nought_wan_
_but_fill_
_did_wid_
_hope_

Think over Art. Poems can lift clouds.
Not for Indians - as requested

For all kids - universal.

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 08:18 AM
MSN

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell made a surprise visit to Ukraine

The visit comes as the Senate is weighing $40 billion in additional aid to Ukraine to help the country defeat Russia.

Sen Rand Paul held up the passage.

Rand Paul is not against sending aid to Ukraine.
He insisted on having an inspector general oversee the distribution of the aid.

Other senators did not agree.
Their objections raise the question of what exactly the Senate wants to hide about how the funds are spent.

The argument is Africa will be worst hit by shortage of wheat held up in Ukraine. Africa is already feeling the bite of shortage.

Time for Putin to rethink.

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 06:39 AM
Hi Art,

Seems you intended the milk industry

fill_did_
_wid_hormones_
_ah_money_trick_
_ah_body_trap_

And the marketing logic towards the end.

Just a question: Have you visited S.E. Asia?
(Not Japan)
You know, Buddhism, not exactly vegetarianism
still a pacifism that seems to come from chemical free diet. Poor people, no education, no ambition, live in huts where it leaks - still happy.

Serve you tea and you will like it.
winter here, is your summer.

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 06:08 AM
Edited by jaish on Sat 05/14/22 06:10 AM

Aatheera is incredibly talented with her creative writing and poetry. Perhaps she could explore and publish such poems.

Poetrywriter probably has a few comical pieces in his back pocket, too.

Nursery rhymes stitches nonsense in a way it makes sense. Think over this.
Hey, diddle, diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed.
To see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.
Imagine at 6 years what

This kind of genius, 'moo & moon' so natural;
and while the dog was laughing
his dish ran away with the spoon
Is what makes crows like me,
fall of trees,

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 05:23 AM

I was always considered the 'black " sheep of the family ... thanks for letting me know where that originated from .... feels good knowing that's not even true . But then again , it's probably better than being the 'rebel' of the family ....wait?? Could that be the same difference ha ha !!!!

Now that I think - there's definitely some history here. Well, back to appeal:

Dear poets, please invent a rhyme or two
On moo, moo cows, that give one jar of milk
Else we will speak with a bark and a ‘bow’
For the English Language is hard without lilt

Utter nonsense, I know. We need a genius who can do something with 4 worded sentences.

jaish's photo
Sat 05/14/22 03:48 AM
Edited by jaish on Sat 05/14/22 03:59 AM
Nursery rhymes are not for nothing. In fact, English has dominated our schools because of the range of poems for children. - so inducing

While this topic requires some analyses, please note the tragedy of our children learning: ‘Baa, baa, black sheep’ – considering there are no black sheep in the world; yet I hear kids chorusing with gusto. Who cares whatever the nonexistent sheep sells, as long as we can raise a din.

Perhaps instead of throwing such powerful melodies we should adapt it to:

Baa, baa white sheep, have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.
Moo, moo, brown cow, have you any milk?
Yes sir, yes sir, two jars full

Pithy.

Then I thought of one with choo, choo steam engine, locomotive. Late & outdated.

Long time ago, I sent a similar message to an Indian the gist being: Instead of wooing and getting wooed with your God gifted talent can you please, please write some poems for our children?
AT least 1 poem. After all, generosity begins at home. More melodies serenades in the Poems forums. I received Silence.

Now, as I develop this booklet for kids, these not-so-little things, hit hard. So much encouragement from Tom, Crystal and recently Bonnie. Takes the booklet to a new level.

Apart from the poets, also to the 3-letter-word geniuses (truly admirable) - I appeal openly.

flowerforyou

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25