singingmyheartout's photo
Thu 11/22/07 03:27 PM
I can relate.

My son's grandparents took him (ex's side of the family)... and me and my daughter were home all alone. My own parents didn't invite us to dinner... and my dad lives in the same apartment building as me! (apparently there wasn't enough for us to have any)...so we ate Chicken Nuggets and Tater Tots, watched Barbie Mermaidia... and now that they are all done eating, they took my daughter so they could play games with her. I was so disgusted I decided to stay home... so now I'm by myself.

Such is the way of holidays for now. Can't wait til days like this are happy again... sigh.

Thu 11/22/07 01:16 PM
ROUND TRIP AIRFARE to Guam so I can spend Xmas with my guy... :cry:

Thu 11/22/07 11:41 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well...
it is my last in cold weather for awhile... :cry:
I will miss the snow...

This time next year I will be in Guam where my hubby-to-be is stationed with the Navy.

Thu 11/22/07 11:22 AM
Been there. Done that.
My parents were the most controlling, demanding people you ever knew. They said "Don't" so I deliberately "did"... started when I was 16, quit cold turkey while I was pregnant with both of my kids... but FINALLY kicked the habit about a year and a half ago.

There isn't anything you can do... but talk to her. Don't sway it toward what YOU want... sway it towards her. Kids are selfish- IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM... so you have to turn the talk from "Daughter, I want you to quit because" to "Daughter, I know this is what you want to do, and I don't like it, but it is your life. I don't understand WHY you choose to do this. Can you at least put it into perspective for me?"

Yes... I know- 17 is "that age"... but seriously... had my parents taken the time to hear things from my perspective instead of ruling with an iron fist, I think I would have seen it their way and kicked the habit sooner.

Good Luck. flowerforyou

Thu 11/22/07 11:01 AM

Thank you singingmyheartout. Well stated. I am glad their are wonderful people out their like you that can help and understand what we single dads go through. :smile:

You're welcome.
The main thing is to remember that you both created those kids so you both have a right to be involved and the kids have a right to know where they come from and form their own opinions about you and your ex. My kids' fathers are not involved- their choice, not mine. I have never said a thing against my exes or their mates in front of my kids... they will know soon enough.

I'm thrilled to say, however, that I am currently engaged and my fiance has every intention of legally adopting my kids once we are married. We've talked about it - a lot- and have also come to the conclusion that if the biological dads ever decided to come around, we would allow them to see their kid... not to do them any favors... but for the benefit of my son and daughter.

Thu 11/22/07 10:47 AM
Thank you.

Thu 11/22/07 10:38 AM

Thanks for the advice. My kids are loved and they will grow up knowing how to love. I would just be a piece of crap dad if i didnt worry.

AMEN... there are way too many piece of crap parents out there. I am a mom of 2- raising them on my own... and I think the best thing we can do for our kids is to be there for them and make sure they know it. They may not always appreciate our concern and worry... but the fact that they know we care will always lead them back to us if they ever come into real trouble or danger.

I've dated around being a single mom. It's tough because you never want to drag guys in and out of your kids' lives... but you also want to include the kids just in case he is "the one"... it's complicated and often more times than not, the kids end up hurt when the relationship is over.

As single parents, our lives must go on. No one's life should come to a screeching halt just because they have kids. However, we owe it to our kids to use good judgment and make sure we don't bring unsavory types around them. We also owe it to our kids to be emotionally supportive if things don't work out. I think in some ways, showing our kids the way the "real world" is can be very beneficial to their growth... afterall... if you teach a kid to believe the world is sunshine and rainbows all the time, they have a more difficult time grasping the concept that it isn't when they get older.

Thu 11/22/07 08:03 AM
I hear what y'all are saying...
Cookie-cutter profiles suck... nobody is generic... we all have something that makes us who we are...
HOWEVER, I do know that some people have trouble with self-expression... and others simply are nervous. Selling yourself on a personal ad isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. Some people have a hard enough time expressing themselves in real life.

It takes people from all walks of life.

And to mention their job... maybe that's all they have going right now. Hell... it's an icebreaker. You have to start with the common stuff no matter how boring or mundane it sounds... and work your way from there.flowerforyou

Tue 11/20/07 07:39 PM

i don't mind finishing last sometimes it's nice bigsmile

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I was always lucky if I got to finish at all! laugh laugh laugh

Tue 11/20/07 07:34 PM
Good for you!

Best Wishes! flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

Tue 11/20/07 07:03 PM
Edited by singingmyheartout on Tue 11/20/07 07:04 PM
I have been standing by my guy while he is 7000+ miles away. I know how it feels to not have the communication all the time. I have my guy... don't need or want any other. I will NEVER betray my guy. Running a household and stuff... I already do that alone for me and the kids... and I'd rather have everyday be a struggle but have him in my life... than have everything easy without him.

I have no idea what military life is like. But I have an awesome guy... and I'd follow him to the ends of the earth... wherever he got sent.

I know my role will be one of support. I already fill that role... just without being Mrs...

Tue 11/20/07 06:42 PM
Not really anything in particular. I'm just curious what it's like. I'm getting married in March to my fiance who is in the Navy. My children and I will be relocating to be with him in Guam after the wedding... I think it's a very good move... I know we'll have issues... but I've never really been out of the Chicago area... so I feel like my world is gonna flip over...
Just kind wondering how people get through the rough patches...

Tue 11/20/07 06:34 PM
Hey all... advice?... stories?... what's it like?
What's the best and worst part of it?
How bout if you have kids?

Just curious since I'll be living that life soon...

Tue 11/20/07 06:07 PM
I'm thankful for my kids, my fiance and the family I am marrying into and the great life we have ahead of us.

Tue 11/20/07 01:42 PM

"Love is when you think about all of his/her flaws, everything about them that's not your "type", and the little things they do that get under your skin from time to time, and still smile and wonder how you ever found anyone so perfect."
- L.T.C.

That's an awesome quote!!!

Mon 11/19/07 08:35 PM
Mine is because I am hopelessly addicted to karaoke and singing...bigsmile

Sat 11/17/07 03:54 PM
Take his name- 100% without a doubt.

Sat 11/17/07 01:42 PM
I wouldn't mind being a guy in my next life...bigsmile

Sat 11/17/07 01:40 PM
In my next life I’m coming back as a rare and highly contagious strain of hemorrhoid that is incurable… then I am going to find my my deadbeat exes and every boss I’ve ever had the pleasure of working for and I am going to be the biggest pain in the a$$ they have ever known.

Wed 11/14/07 02:32 PM
false.

loves strawberry cream cheese on onion bagels! laugh