Community > Posts By > Gustava

Gustava's photo
Thu 12/06/07 10:32 PM

I wouldn't call it biological imparitive though. Throughout time and between cultures people have different ideas of beauty. You can see how the image of beauty has changed by looking at art and the models used for art. A lot of women who are considered hot now would have been too thin back in older times. I cited other examples somewhere else in this post.

Chinese people consider light skin and tiny feet to be attractive traits. These are both disadvantageous in that low melanin increases sun burn and tiny feet make you easier to push over lol.

It's part biology, but society and class systems play a large role as well.

Yes, you are correct. However, the "ideal," as displayed by art, is an embracement of the construct of the artist's imagination by society rather than a true reflection of biological imperative.

Gustava's photo
Thu 12/06/07 10:08 PM

Don't people realize that looks change with age? Since so many seem to base a relationship on looks (and I'm thankful for the men who don't cause that speaks volumes)...does that means after the woman gets older they will replace her? Ugh.

Yes, looks change with age, however, what we find good-looking/attractive/whatever also changes with age.

Gustava's photo
Thu 12/06/07 10:04 PM

fx the lion:

God accepts women as is, why can't you? Also, women don't fuss about men and their weight, baldness, the fact they can't get it up, etc., so why do men fuss so much?

I fuss about a man's weight and baldness. As for the erectile-dysfunction thing, I would never be involved with a man who couldn't match my perversion.

Gustava's photo
Thu 12/06/07 09:56 PM

let me also explain that attractive women. as i would like to call them tens are the same as any woman. for example i know a chick smoking hot. but she like to watch spongebob mind you the woman is 22. i feel if you feel you are pretty other will

So, let me understand, you are criticizing a woman for watching Spongebob yet you have the spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure and thought processes of an eggplant... yeah, makes sense.

Gustava's photo
Thu 12/06/07 10:11 AM
No.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 07:48 PM
Edited by Gustava on Wed 12/05/07 07:48 PM
Goddess, I hate these attention-seeking type threads! Don't you self-obsessed "rate me" folks have anything better to say?

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 06:24 PM

Okay, let's suppose that instead of "Merry Christmas," everyone went around saying, "Happy Eid'ul-Adha [a Muslim December holiday]," or "Happy Hanukkah," or "Merry Kwanzaa," or even "Merry Winter Solstice"? Wouldn't you, as a Christian, feel slighted and disrespected?

Like it or not, Christians do not have proprietary rights to the December holiday.

It is what it is......and as the saying goes...."If it works why change it." and I don't care if other religions have there days just leave ours alone.

But what you are not understanding, it ISN'T just yours.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 05:23 PM
Okay, let's suppose that instead of "Merry Christmas," everyone went around saying, "Happy Eid'ul-Adha [a Muslim December holiday]," or "Happy Hanukkah," or "Merry Kwanzaa," or even "Merry Winter Solstice"? Wouldn't you, as a Christian, feel slighted and disrespected?

Like it or not, Christians do not have proprietary rights to the December holiday.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 02:05 PM

...From a distance, I can't tell you have a great personallity, But I can tell if you have a great butt and boobs. There for, the first attraction is physical. ...

Yup. This is why both men and women are initially attracted to a person's looks.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 01:21 PM
Christmas' pagan origins from essortment.com:

Few people realize that the origins of a form of Christmas was pagan & celebrated in Europe long before anyone there had heard of Jesus Christ.

No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christ’s birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

In Rome, the Winter Solstice was celebrated many years before the birth of Christ. The Romans called their winter holiday Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. In January, they observed the Kalends of January, which represented the triumph of life over death. This whole season was called Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. The festival season was marked by much merrymaking. It is in ancient Rome that the tradition of the Mummers was born. The Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who traveled from house to house entertaining their neighbors. From this, the Christmas tradition of caroling was born.

In northern Europe, many other traditions that we now consider part of Christian worship were begun long before the participants had ever heard of Christ. The pagans of northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means “wheel,” the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

The tree is the one symbol that unites almost all the northern European winter solstices. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees.

In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christ’s birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them.

Christmas (Christ-Mass) as we know it today, most historians agree, began in Germany, though Catholics and Lutherans still disagree about which church celebrated it first. The earliest record of an evergreen being decorated in a Christian celebration was in 1521 in the Alsace region of Germany. A prominent Lutheran minister of the day cried blasphemy: “Better that they should look to the true tree of life, Christ.”

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 01:02 PM

This has been seen by over 250,000 viewers so far and is definitely worth a watch.

My sentiments exactly. I don't buy 'holiday gifts' .. I buy Christmas presents. So ya ........... I call em as I see em. laugh

http://www.citizenlink.org/Stoplight/A000005834.cfm

oh and they may not say "Merry Christmas" to me, but heck the carols they play in the stores that are supposed to be more marketing strategy for sales .. uh, they say Christmas and Jesus and more.

You can't take God out of His own son's birthday for goodness sake. noway

oh really because there is proof jesus was not born on December 25th the Christians turned this into his birthday as a way to get back at the pagans because this was a pagan holiday...as was easter, halloween..etc. etc.

Exactly. It's funny how no-one seems to know any history...

I say "Happy Holidays" because 1.) I want to distance myself as far as possible from Christianity 2.) There are many folks, like me, who are atheists or of a non-Christian religion who celebrate the holiday and I don't want to be presumptuous.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 12:27 PM
First thing I notice in a man is his face. Definitely notice the beautiful ones.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 12:08 PM

....remember ladies.. who'd you rather want... Some big ol' fat guy with a big ol' belly or do you want Heath Ledger(just an example)?

Exactly (though I am willing to bet that this statement will be met with 30 replies stating, "No, I only look at personality...").

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 11:52 AM
Y'all can deny biology all you want with the oft-repeated, "men/women should look at personality not looks," but the fact remains, we have been programmed to search out mates that have the greatest chance of surviving and passing on genes. For men that means a woman that is not too fat and not too thin, has good-sized (also not too big or small) breasts, a small waist and hips big enough to allow for child-birth.

I'm not saying this natural inclination is a good thing and/or can't be overcome. Rather, it's just how it is.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 11:29 AM
400,000 years of evolution. It's biology m'dear.

Gustava's photo
Wed 12/05/07 10:55 AM
Remember the Seinfeld "ugly baby" episode (The Hamptons)?

Gustava's photo
Tue 12/04/07 03:06 PM

she has said she wanted a unicorn as a child

I KNEW IT!!!
"The Cube" is a pickup artist routine that doubles as a psychological personality reading that uses symbols to draw forth the subconscious.
The horse represents her ideal partner, or ideal man. Saying that the horse is a unicorn says that her standards for men have been so high that she was never able to find a suitable mate...because what she's looking for does not exist.

Bullsh it!

Gustava's photo
Tue 12/04/07 11:45 AM
Edited by Gustava on Tue 12/04/07 11:47 AM

I was over to her house the other night and the phone rang, she let the answering machine pick up. It was a guy responding to the craigs list ad she put up (that's how we met). He said he wants to get together with her. She apologized to me, and said she thought she got rid of everyone. She asked if I was mad and I said no. I do believe she is only with me, but at some point she did want to meet up with this guy seeing she gave him her number. What should I think?

Since the two of you are not in a committed relationship or even in a "real (for lack of a better word)" romantic relationship, it really doesn't matter if she is keeping her options open. In fact, if I were you, I'd be dating around myself.

Personally, I don't understand why folks feel the need to become exclusive so early on in the relationship.

Gustava's photo
Tue 12/04/07 11:10 AM

When one uses any sort of "evidence" to support an OPINION, the evidence is used as fact. For example, "the earth is only 6000 years old (X) because the bible says it is(Y)". When I say, "X is true because of Y," I am giving evidence. Evidence implies factual basis for the argument.

Thanks for the lesson, teacher. But regardless of your facts, this thread asked for opinions. Toodles. :wink:

Don't be a jerk, ignorance is not a charming attribute.

Gustava's photo
Tue 12/04/07 11:02 AM
When one uses any sort of "evidence" to support an OPINION, the evidence is used as fact. For example, "the earth is only 6000 years old (X) because the bible says it is(Y)". When I say, "X is true because of Y," I am giving evidence. Evidence implies factual basis for the argument.