Cape Town South Africa 12/10-12/26
Amsterdam 12/27-12/30
Vegas 3/9-3/16
Cape Town South Africa 4/10-4/27

Next Trip Miami 6/16-6/22

Richie's photo
Wed 06/01/11 10:54 PM
Hi,

I find myself in the same predicament as you.

I've traveled quite a bit and have been to many places throughout the world. I have the same problem finding people to travel with me either because they are married with families or they have jobs that don't let them take as much vacation time as I get every year.

Every three months I take a three week vacation.

I'd definitely be up to doing a world tour, going to new places and revisiting places I've been to in the past. I've been to most of Europe, South and Central America, a few places in the Middle East and at least seven countries in Africa. Most of these places I would definitely go to again.

The places I haven't been to yet include Asia, Russia and the old Soviet block countries. Right now I'm contemplating a trip to Singapore and Malaysia but have a friend that wants to go to the Philippines. If I do the Philippines trip we'll be staying over in China for a while to do some exploring as well.

Do you plan on staying in hotels, hostels or elsewhere?
Where would you like to begin and when would you like to do this?
I'm definitely up for it.

Feel free to drop me a note.
Richie

Richie's photo
Wed 06/01/11 08:20 PM
Edited by Richie on Wed 06/01/11 08:38 PM
NEW YORK TIME
New York time is (USA Eastern time) GMT-5.

CEBU PHILIPPINES the time is: GMT +8

So our time here in New York is exactly 13 hours behind you. In the the summer months the USA uses what's called DST (daylight savings time) and clocks are moved forward one hour making the time difference only 12 hours.

TO CHECK THE TIME AND DATE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD GO TO:

http://www.timeanddate.com

I hope this helps you out.
Richie

Richie's photo
Wed 06/01/11 08:12 PM
Edited by Richie on Wed 06/01/11 08:14 PM

Lpdon "Seems like a waist of money over something basic like a fistfight, not to mention the situation was undercontrol. What the hell is a couple F-16's gonna do in that situation anyways?"

Lpdon, do yo9u really think it's a waist of money? There was a serious disturbance on the airplane. That's exactly what happened on 9/11 when each plane that was hijacked. What if the same lunatic decided to attack other people or sabotage the flight. I fly quite often and believe the Captain did the right thing and followed proper protocol.

As far as the fighter planes. They are there to shoot the passenger plane down in the event it became hijacked. If it can be prevented nobody is ever going fly a plane into a building here again and the plane will be shot down well before it reaches a populated area.

Richie's photo
Sat 12/04/10 03:00 AM

Is anyone heading over there or in the area?

Richie's photo
Mon 08/09/10 04:17 AM
Trout,

OK, It seems pretty straight forward. Basically what you are doing is running a Linux on a Windows PC suing what is called emulation software. In this case the emulation software is VMWARE.

This allows you to try out a Linux distribution without having to reformat your machine. If you decide you like the Linux flavor you installed (On your Windows PC) you can later reformat to and install it permanently. There's pros and cons to running Linux under emulation software on a windows machine.

As a Pro: You can try out different flavors of Linux without actually reformatting your Windows machine. When you find a distribution you like, you can then reformat your machine and permanently install it doing away with windows completely.

As a Con: Windows tends to fragment files and although you don't have to worry about things like disk fragmentation with native Linux, when you run Linux under emulation (with Windows), you will still get fragmentation.

Many people who choose to run both operating systems create a dual-boot system where you have an NTFS file system and windows on one partition and a EXT3 file system on another. When booting up the user will have a choice of what operating system to use and each system (Linux or Windows) will operate in it's native environment (without the need emulation).

I really don't see the need to ever install and run Linux in manner described in the Wiki but if you want to give it a shot and keep it simple, check out: http://wubi-installer.org/ This will allow you install and try Ubuntu Linux on your windows machine without reformatting. Should you decide you don't like it.. there is a simple one click uninstall option.

Alternately:
You may want to download a Live CD and try out Linux that way.
It's quick, easy and doesnt require any work. You just plop the CD in your PC and boot up. Everything will run in RAM and there will be no changes to your hard drive at all. If you like what you see you can then later do install the software onto your hard drive. Keep in mind that Linux will run a better/faster in it's native environment versus running under any type of emulation.

After permanently installing Linux on your PC if you run into a situation where you need to run a windows program because you are unable to find a free Linux alternative simply install WINE or another windows emulator and run the program that way. Afterward, if there's a windows program you really miss and cant find a free Linux alternative, you can always download a windows emulator like WINE and run you windows program using windows emulation.

If you have any questions or if there is something I can do to help out just let me know.

Kind regards,
Richie

Richie's photo
Fri 05/21/10 10:01 AM
Edited by Richie on Fri 05/21/10 10:02 AM

LOL...have internet and you're all set.

I just watched 2012. Don't ask how. oops

With 2012 and the apocalypse right around the corner who's really going to need TV anyway? LOL

Richie's photo
Sun 11/22/09 12:56 AM

Anyone looking to go to the Thanksgiving day parade with me?

I haven't had time to make plans and just realized that Thanksgiving is just a few days away. I'll probably be taking the train into NYC from Long Island or maybe I'll just drive in early and get a good parking spot.

The parade starts at 9:00 and should end by around 12:00 the latest.

If interested just drop me a note,
Richie

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 10:54 PM

OMG.. I watched the video..

I think buying a BOB would be a lot easier and a lot less costly.
but then again.. if the BOB doesn't do the trick you may want to look this doctor up.

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 10:20 PM
Edited by Richie on Tue 09/08/09 10:43 PM
K7 doesn't need any credit card information whatsoever I don't even think they require your name.

This is how they stay in business and make money:

1. Behind the scenes all telephone providers charge termination rates. It can be as little as .00000021 cents per minute but there is always a charge.

For example let say you have a plan with Verizon that includes unlimited USA calling for 30 bucks a month and you make a call to an AT&T customer. Verizon pays AT&T a termination fee for that call.

The more calls you make on your plan the less Verizon will make.

2. The company that owns K7.net is another telephone company that has a blocks of telephone numbers In both Seattle and just outside Seattle Washington. Since this is a rural area and they don't have many people living over there , the company will give you a free fax to email number. It cost nothing for someone to send you a fax and they still make a small amount of money.

The only requirement K7 has is that you receive at least one fax a month. When you set up your fax to email account hey also give you the option of having a free voice mail account on the same line.

It's a great service and it works out well especially when you have a office full of people that sometimes have to receives faxes at home but don't have fax machines there. Or, even if you have a real fax machine you may want to look at he faxes before printing them and only use your existing fax for sending.

If you have any questions about free fax lines or free incoming phone lines please feel free to drop me a note and I'll be glad to help you out. You can also get free fax numbers and phone numbers from numerous other countries as well. Its great for creating a 'global presence' for you company if you have one.

There's also another option. If you don't like fax to email you can also get a free line for your faxes without a monthly fee. But with that option you will need to have a dedicated fax machine at your location.

Hope this info helps,
Richie

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 03:56 PM
Edited by Richie on Tue 09/08/09 04:01 PM

I'm not worried about catching Swine flu, TB or anything like that while visiting overseas place. I'm more concerned with what type of aircraft I am flying in.

There are still many aircraft in the sky that do not have UV air cleaning systems in them. The UV kills airborne virus and bacteria. Planes that don't have this recirculate dirty air.

For example if you fly in an A-340-600 the air is run through UV but if you happen to fly in an A-300-200 the air just circulates around without running through a UV system.

Depending on what you flying in, I'd be more worried about catching Swine Flu on the plane than anywhere else.

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 03:42 PM

I've been to Senegal, Sierra Leone, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mauritania and South Africa.

For a visitor each country has its many pros and cons.

Of all the countries over there I think the only two I would ever go back to is Botswana and South Africa.

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 03:37 PM

Not only that, but be VERY careful- some regions of Africa (Somalia in particular) have become rather unfriendly toward westerners due to an increasing Muslim-extremist presence.

Not only that, but South Africa has become a hotbed for crime and murder since the abolition of Apartheid in the 1980's. I've heard it's so bad there, that they've put up signs pleading with the local miscreants NOT to attack tourists, as they bring much-needed money to the area.

I can tell your first hand... You have heard WRONG.

After living in Cape Town, South Africa for over three years I returned to the USA in December. Last month I went again for a short visit and returned a few weeks ago. Having traveled the entire country and seen the best and the worst of he place I can tell yo there are no signs asking you not to attack tourist.

Yes, statistically the rates of violent crime, murder and rape is off the charts over there but as a tourist - you typically stay in tourist areas and you follow simple protocols that you would follow in any foreign country. I agree that crime has increased in the last 13 years since apartheid ended. But overall South Africa is the best place on the continent to visit if you ever want to visit Africa. And Cape town is a very cosmopolitan, trendy and upmarket place to visit.

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 03:21 PM
Edited by Richie on Tue 09/08/09 03:24 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Just got back a few weeks ago. It was awesome!

FUTURE PLANNED TRAVEL

September:
9/11 - 9/14 Camping upstate NY and rafting down the Delaware River.

December:
12/4 - 12/7 Florida to get away from the cold. Going to Disney.
Already got my plane tixx.

12/23 - 1/2/2010 Cape Town to see my daughter.

February:
Trinidad and Tobago
Already got my tixx.

February/March:
Cape Town, South Africa for 2 weeks(company paid tixx)then off to Singapore (1 week).

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 03:11 PM

Not to pile on here, but although you might be able to get at data that hasn't really been overwritten, and you might be able to even get at some that appears to be overwritten, you're not likely going to be able to piece much of this together.

Now if you have something that is of national security, I'm sure the government has the resources to piece it all back together :wink:

I've got some special forensics software that may help. happy

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 03:02 PM

Vista is definitely junk. Haven't had time to play with Windows 7 yet but am looking forward to it. For now I'll continue to run Linux and XP on my machines.

If I didn't have to test software once in a while for windows users I wouldn't have windows at all.

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 02:58 PM

The reason for switching from analog to digital was to allow broadcasters to multcast and to free up some of the RF spectrum in the United States.

It has absolutely nothing to do with 'radiation'.

There's other reasons for it also. There were lobbyist funded by big companies pushing for the switch to digital. Some of the points were good in that Digital TV allows for more video (channels so to say) on the same amount of spectrum and also makes it possible to transmit HD video. But a lot true motivation to the digital switch came from corporations wanting to cash in.

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 02:36 PM

Free fax to Email...
No Advertisements.. No gimmicks, Great Service

http://www.k7.net

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 02:33 PM

I agree.. definitely get yourself a copy of bootable linux CD such as Knoppix and mount your hard drive. Then save whatever you need to another CD/DVD or flashdrive.

If you want a small linux version to boot from try "Puppy Linux".

The whole operating system should load in RAM and you can then mount your hard drive, remove the bootable disk and start copying the files.

It's a very small learning curve and you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Good Luck!
Richie

Richie's photo
Tue 09/08/09 02:01 PM
Mastic Beach is 'maybe' halfway.

Previous 1