no photo
Sat 05/30/09 02:48 PM
...the robot zombie army chicks are "hot"?
I SHCIVER JUST IMAGINING THE MONSTROSITY OF THE ROBOT ZOMBIE ARMY CHICKS
FOR GOD'S SAKE, DEAR, DON'T YOU THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE BUT HOT CHICKS? ? ? laugh

no photo
Sat 05/30/09 02:17 PM
According to DAN99:

Astrology - Bollocks

Extrasensory perception - Rubbish

Witches with magical powers - Poppycock

Aliens have landed on Earth - Bullsh1t

The lost continent of Atlantis - crap!

Dinsosuars and humans lived simultaneously - Mentalist!

Noah's flood - My arse!

Communication with the dead - HELLO?! Nope nothing

Ghosts - I have seen goolies in my underpants if that counts?

Actually had a psychic experience - oh piss off!

dowsing - with petrol?

Bermuda Triangle - Nonsense

poltergeists - Balderdash

biorythems- Hogwash!

creationism - LUNATICS

levitation - mumbo jumbo

psychokinesis - Claptrap!

UFOs - You F OFF!

remote viewing - Tripe

Kirlian auras - Spittle

emotions in plants - Prattle

monsters - Gibberish

graphology - Bollockology

crypto zoology - Dribble

clairvoyance - clairvoyance schmoyance

pyramid power - preposterous

faith healing - Muggy bonehead

big foot - twaddle

psychic prospecting - gobbledegook

haunted houses - hooey

perpetual motion machines - blah blah blah

antigravity locations - buffoonery

astrological birth control - redonkulous.

... And I might also add:
If you close your eyes and ears you won't see and hear!
. . . . -*-
Ignorance's a bliss!!!
But who gives a Fock for an opinion of a blind/deaf (and probably dumb) person? ? ? What makes him an authority on everything? ? ?
* * * (Perhaps his own delusion or ignorance? ? ?) * * *

no photo
Sat 05/30/09 01:31 PM
To those, who consider that everything is NOW:
__________REMEMBER THE SAYING:___________________
THOSE WHO FAIL TO PLAN, PLAN TO FAIL ! ! !

no photo
Fri 05/29/09 10:13 PM
I regret to inform you, guys, but the government couldn't wait for your conclusions, while you still argue about the feasability of the automated Mind Reading... (i.e. they decided to procede without your help -- and quite successfully, it seems...

For a good example, take a look at
http://www.archivum.info/sci.anthropology/2006-11/msg00009.html

P.S. Who knows, your indecisiveness could've been planted in your mind(?) :smile: :wink:

no photo
Fri 05/29/09 09:18 PM
tombraider:

..the way i view it is ..shyt happens.. no i dont think life is just ...it just is...smokin

Exactly.. Just/Injust is a purely psychological mstter. But:
If one does something wrong and is being consumed by feelings of remorse (guilty conscience, etc.), then -- sooner or later -- Fate will even the score... Though Justice has nothing to do with it: the wrong-doer will panish oneself (in one way or another) through his own thoughts...

The moral of the story:
YOU SHOULD NEVER REGRET YOUR BAD DEEDS -- TRY JUSTIFYING THEM! laugh

no photo
Thu 05/28/09 10:21 PM

Do you think we live in a "just" world?
People get what they deserve, or some form of karma?

____________HANDLEWITHCAUTION's REPLY: ___________________
*** The nature of the world is a matter of your point of view! ***
---------------------------------------------------------------
Explaining the world's justice (or injustice) from the point of view of Karma, is to navigate into the murky waters of Fate -- since nobody dare claiming to be an expert in either one...

[from the point of view of Karma -- which might span a few generations -- a poor child's ancestors might've been vicious killers...(Hitler?) There are too many unknowns to even begin to consider!]

***However, the truth of the matter is within us:
------------------------------------------------
if we beleive the world is just, then it will confirm itself as such. But if we believe it is unjust, then I fear for our well-being!

The reason there is so much injustice in the world is because some people believe they're more "just" than others!..***********

_________________________SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION_______________
Best answer of the day!!!

______________________DI's REBUTTLE_____________________________
Actually not really the best answer. (sorry Creative - but I need to make some points here.)

There are a few variations of the laws of karma. In the caste system in India, karma is the justice that places individuals into the caste of their birth. There is no mobility between the castes, in fact, people accept their status of their birth as justice and only their acceptance and how they live will determine if they break the cycle of rebirth or not. You see, re-birth is not a good think, nirvana is the goal that breaks the cycle.

In the Western or American version of karma, the 'just world' phenomenon is directly tied to the good and bad actions of a previous life. What one is striving for, depends on what a person thinks is the reason for re-birth.

But karma does not explain a just world theory because no matter what version of karma a person considers, they all have one element in common - people have a choice, have control over their own actions and emotions, so it makes little sense to think that karma is the mechanism that creates a just world. Especially since a person is re-born with absolutely no previous knowledge, nor even current knowledge of what they need to do to prevent karmic retribution.

Actually, karma is yet another example of how religious beliefs were used by governments and people in power to manipulated people into 'accepting' thier lot in life. On the other hand keeping the masses under control via this mechanism, may be a form of cosmic justice. If people are so willing to accept this kind of oppression, perhaps they are being justly rewarded by cosmic forces...

Finally - the world IS UNJUST. But what makes it unjust? Creative wrote:
But if we believe it is unjust, then I fear for our well-being!
The reason there is so much injustice in the world is because some people believe they're more "just" than others!..

Creative thinks injustice exists because some people believe they are more just than others. In other words, a Christian may think their religious law is more accurate and therefore more just than Islam. (or vise versa) So one side treats the other side with discrimination, which inflicts harm - and thus, injustice.

This is also true of people, whole villages that are suffering severe drought, or poverty, illness epidemics, and hunger. Are they suffering justly or unjustly. How many would help a neighbor, or a person a few blocks over, or a flood victim in the next county. But when a country is afflicted, we expect our government to act in the same responsible way we might if we could. So where is the injustice? Did nature cause the drought, the illness, the poverty? If so, is it a just world?

Did people cause the harm to those living with illness, poverty, and hunger? If so, then how to so many escape the justice of a just world?

Creative - fear it if you must, but we do live in an unjust world.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[b[____________(HWC) HANDLEWITHCAUTION'S CLARIFICATION: _________
First of all, Di, thank you for considering me a CREATIVE person! (I hope you didn't confuse me with Creativesoul, though * * * LOL)

However, you must've misinterpreted my message, judging from the last sentence of your message! (I, for one, have experinced some of the aspects of the world's injustice on my own skin much too often... Though my confidence has prevailed...) Nevertheless, the confussion insued (vecause you didn't indicate exactly what kind of justice you have in mind...) * * * * * * *

Certainly, the justice/injustice of the world is a relative matter.. Therefore I stated that the nature of the world is a matter of one's perception (i.e. point of view):
**the winner's perspective is quite different from that of the loser!**
From the point of view of "Cause & Effect", there's a reason for everything -- including poverty, hunger, natural disasters, etc. (if not in this lifetime, then in any of the previous...)

However, as I mentioned, I'm not an expert on Karma -- in fact, as I pointed out, I'd hesitate navigating into the murky waters of either Karma or Fate. (You seem to be more knowledgable on that...)
But what I did state is that IT IS WITHIN THE INDIVIDUAL'S POWER TO ALTER THE SO CALLED KARMA!!!
(whether that's commonly achievable is another question which depends to the great degree on the individual's upbringing, though not exclusively...)
Thus, THERE'S NOTHING TO FEAR BUT THE FEAR ITSELF!!!

P.S. The reason why humans will become extinct has nothing to do with their self-destructiveness, but is a cyclical phenomenon, which happens roughly every 65 million years -- approximately that's when the dinisaurs became extinct -- and has something to do with the orbit of the solar system around the center of the gallaxy. Apparently, even our future grandchildren have nothing to worry about...

no photo
Tue 05/26/09 09:36 PM
Dear JB, once again u surprised me with your intention of proving something to skeptics! After all of the time and effort spent on creating the mass skepticizm, u go and disclose such a potent secret (as mind reading) to the mere mortals...(who choose to argue with you because that would undermine their Assumptions about the status quo Reality!) Don't you have enough dignity to obstain from such fruitless arguments? Really! Who are they that u feel the need to convince them? Let them wallow in their own ignorance!!!

I, once, mentioned to one of those skeptics: NEVER Assume, cuz when you ASSuME, you're making an ASS out of U and ME -- nevermind himself (i.e. U) but leave ME out, please!
I also suggested to that skeptic to create his own thread -- THE HOLY TRUTH -- where he could post only scientifically confirmed facts -- and see if he would get many responses before switching the discussion back to sex...

* For Pete's sake, we are at the Singles' Site! (even though the forum is "Science and Philosophy"). Does it have much to do with Science? OH, please, GIVE ME A BREAK!!! No science degree is necessary for participation!!!

*** Yet, some member(s) have the audacity of suggesting other members should "Stop Posting" -- because, in their view, others aren't scientific enough... (such suggestions are good enough grounds for reporting the member -- other than for the chauvenistic attitude!)
--And I begin wondering, Just who the F.. do they think they are???

Apparently, JB, u pose a great obstacle to that member because he wants to fly Solo in this thread! O'K let him -- just ignore him! (.. at least until he matures enough!!!) Let him communicate only with male members -- since females are too weak in their minds to compare with him... (hopefully, he will find many other male members who've joined the Singles' site especially for scientific discussions with some obnoxious sucker!!!) * * *

Being in a Single's site, HE CAN TAKE HIS SCIENTIFIC REASONING (i.e. verifying/testing/confirming every idea) AND SHOVE IT! ! ! ***

no photo
Tue 05/26/09 09:09 PM
[bu]Dear JB[/b/u], once again u surprised me with your intention of proving something to skeptics! After all of the time and effort spent on creating the mass skepticizm, u go and disclose such a potent secret (as mind reading) to the mere mortals...(who choose to argue with you because that would undermine their Assumptions about the status quo Reality!) Don't you have enough dignity to obstain from such fruitless arguments? Really! Who are they that u feel the need to convince them? [bu]Let them wallow in their own ignorance!!![/b/u]

I, once, mentioned to one of those skeptics: NEVER Assume, cuz when you ASSuME, you're making an ASS out of U and ME -- nevermind himself (i.e. U) but leave ME out, please!
I also suggested to that skeptic to create his own thread -- THE HOLY TRUTH -- where he could post only scientifically confirmed facts -- and see if he would get many responses before switching the discussion back to sex...

* For Pete's sake, we are at the Singles' Site[/u/b]! (even though the forum is "Science and Philosophy"). Does it have much to do with Science? OH, please, GIVE ME A BREAK!!! No science degree is necessary for participation!!!

*** Yet, some member(s) have the audacity of suggesting other members should "Stop Posting" -- because, in their view, others aren't scientific enough... (such suggestions are good enough grounds for reporting the member -- other than for the chauvenistic attitude!)
And I begin wondering, Just who the F.. do they think they are???

Apparently, JB, u pose a great obstacle to that member because he wants to fly Solo in this thread! O'K let him -- just ignore him! Let him communicate only with male members -- since females are too weak in their minds to compare to him... (hopefully, he will find many other male members who've joined the Singles' site especially for scientific discussions with some obnoxious sucker!!!)

Being in a Single's site, HE CAN TAKE HIS SCIENTIFIC REASONING (i.e. verifying/testing/confirming every idea) AND SHOVE IT! ! !

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 11:15 PM
Edited by HANDLEWITHCAUTION on Mon 05/25/09 11:18 PM
...Some people would doubt anything Until they hear/see it in the mass media! ! !
:biglaugh:

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 11:04 PM
. . . . Jeannibean's discussion with Creativesoul:

Well, for one thing, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. (mine)

This supports nothing. Your experienece shows a lack of reasoning skills, from my point of view.

Lack of reasoning skills? Anyway it doesn't matter because your point of view is meaningless. The question you asked me was:

"If it doesn't happen between two hemispheres of the same brain, why on earth would anyone believe that it can happen between two separate individuals? "

I simply said PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Which I do have. I experienced very clear messages in the form of words from someone I knew very well! It was confirmed! I know it exists. What YOU believe "from your point of view" is meaningless to me as far as my reasons for believing it.

Just because you have never experienced it and you are a skeptic does not mean that I lack reasoning skills. I just don't reason away my PERSONAL AND CONFIRMED EXPERIENCE just because someone like you comes along and refuses to believe for lack of his own experience with telepathy.

Anyway, your example assumes that the type of communication is the same as would be in a normal brain's communication. You don't know that-- and neither does science because science assumes that telepathy does not exist, (or at least some scientists do.)

My example assumes nothing. Each hemisphere is independently responsible for different types of thinking. They both think independently of one another. That is a fact!

Now, assuming that a single brain has a single receiver and a single sender of thoughts and feelings, I don't see how one side of a brain could communicate via telepathy with the other side unless each side had a sender and receiver. I can't see any reason it would since it is a single brain.

You are confused... read the above again. Do you have any logical refutation to offer to mine? Opinions are great and all, but we could, and have gone on and on using those alone. I am more in the mood for something else, like substantive grounding.

flowerforyou

I think it would be cool, but so would flying pink elephants. Know whatta mean?

I am not confused. YOU are.

Have you forgotten of the brane's Central Processing Unit (CPU) that's located at the lower back of our heads -- thus uniting both hemispheres -- serving both of them as a common Receiver/Transmitter: I am referring to the HYPOTHALAMUS! ! !

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 08:51 PM

If a mind want to communicate to another mind, then it must use a series of signs for in order for the other mind to understand the message.

Of course both of the minds have to have the similar upbringing on knowing what the signs are first, before any real communication can be served with a purpose.

That's just stating the obvious!
Just like it is impossible to read the mind of a foreigner... (or that of an animal)

But as long as both -- Receiver and Transmitter -- speak and think the same language, mind communication is quite possible!

Let's say that both speakers speak the same language, trained in the same schools together from early childhood to adulthood, and then say "dog" to each other. One person might say "what specific dog do you have in mind," and the other replies, "golden retriever." So, there you go. Mind communicated by another mind as long as the signs are precisely given so that one will have somewhat the exact picture as the other mind has thought of.

So there can't be mind reading without signs being presented.

Perhaps u misunderstood me:
if I possessed the gift of Mind Reading, I wouldn't need to be told "what specific dog do you have in mind," -- I would be aware of the kind of dog (read, i.e. sensed, from the mind of the other friend). It wouldn't matter whether I knew the other person...
A true Mind Reader can read the mind of any person in his/her vicinity -- if they think in the same language...

Have you seen the Mel Gibson's movie "What women want?" That's exactly what happens -- except of he was doing it involuntarily -- while the present level of Mind Reading requires the Reader "tuning in" to the subject being read (and, of course, the subject is a willing participant)... But there's no need for both sharing the same experience!
For your own sake -- especially when in public places -- I urge u to control your thoughts.. U never know who might be beside you!

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 04:18 PM
Damn clothes moths.

Shame on you, dear:

Judging from the name of the topic, I thought u were talking about catching your "Significant Other" with her Lover... [S.O.w.h.L] laugh

And all of that concerns to is just some pests?!!

Well, that's quite a waste of a good topic! ! !

But in case you really catch them -- i.e. S.O.w.h.L -- just let them fly away.. they desesrve each other (hopefully they will chock on somebody else's sweaters!!!)
:biglaugh:

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 02:59 PM

mind reading is imppossible.
but logical deductions based on observations and past experiances with a person can kinda clue you in on what somebody is thinking.
but to read a total strangers mind? well you would just be guessing based on.....only what you see with your two eyes. and interpreting what you see however YOUR mind wanted to.

Darling, you seem to be stating a point of view which is based upon YOUR personal experience with mind reading. But just because you haven't experienced something yet, doesn't mean everybody else haven't either, or that you never might experience it...

So don't be so cathegorical!
In this universe, many things are possible -- you simply haven't discovered them yet! (i.e. aren't aware of the possibility...)

Unfortunately, some of the people you've dated could possibly possess the ability -- though they will never admite it (to save you the embarrasment)! :smile:

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 02:33 PM

If a mind want to communicate to another mind, then it must use a series of signs for in order for the other mind to understand the message.

Of course both of the minds have to have the similar upbringing on knowing what the signs are first, before any real communication can be served with a purpose.

That's just stating the obvious!
Just like it is impossible to read the mind of a foreigner... (or that of an animal)

But as long as both -- Receiver and Transmitter -- speak and think the same language, mind communication is quite possible!

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 02:12 PM

If surgically separated one brain cannot telepathically communicate between hemispheres, so why would two completely separate ones be able to???
Way too much conjecture...
laugh

I do not know where you keep your brain at night but, clearly, you must've forgotten putting it back in the morning... LOL :smile:

no photo
Mon 05/25/09 01:43 PM

I was addressing the "mechanical process" of reading and transmitting human thoughts and memories because that is what I thought was asked.

IBYP, Joe, but I thought the topig was simply whether MR is possible at all -- not necessarily only from the tecnical point of view... Though, your train of thoughts exhibits a tipical male response -- the feasability of the subject matter -- which is a bit too technical for my taste, but interesting, nevertheless...

As to the human MR; as you stated, women do it anyway.

I think men cannot transmit and receive thoughts to each other because the part of the male brain that would normally communicate with another male is in sync all the time anyway. When scientists finally get around to recording the male brain patterns it will probably come across more like a chant ....

sex, beer, food
sex, beer, food
sex, beer, food

:smile:

Oh, how cute! LOL
But MR has nothing to do with sex of the transmitter:
my brother is (and a few of my past boyfriens have been) also capable of transmitting and receiving thoughts to some degree. Such an ability is very convenient in the intimate situations -- when verbalizing your desires would be a bit awkward... But responding exactly to one's desires (or get your desires fulfilled) without a single word creates a strong bond between the participants! :smile:

no photo
Sun 05/24/09 11:40 PM
Joe, darling, you seem to get too technical with the simple concept of mind reading -- MR -- (although I do not dispute your words -- as usually, your arguments are very exciting!) Though I rarely happen to read minds of others -- usually I transmit my thoughts (wishes) onto others... For example, while disputing with my boyfriends, I'd often used to send them a mental command:
"STOP ARGUING, AND MAKE LOVE TO ME!" In about 3-4 minutes (most men are a bit slow), they would have forgotten what they were saying -- being consumed with the sudden attack of passion...

You see, the brain does not interpret every single thought, but receives them in a batch of thoughts, and interprets them in a similar manner, as a butch. * * *

As far as controlling the artificial limbs with the power of thoughts, I've seen a documentary where kids amputees (equiped with a mini amplifyer) were capable of bending the fingers of an artificial arm... (the research is stil being conducted...

You are correct in assuming it is just a matter of time until we'd beforced to wear some kind of hats to protect our privacy,,,
I hope, MR would not be adnissible in courtd -- otherwise the courts will be forever tied up with the cases of personal insults: "F. you..."

As far a creative's atgument, "there are only finite amounts of chemical reactions -- but there id an infinite vsryety oh the fegree f imtrnsity,

As fa as Creative,s argunebt -- There is no measurable product of thought which accurately defines the content of it -- electric impuldes prodiced by thoights are wuite mesdurable#

no photo
Sun 05/24/09 11:39 PM
Joe, darling, you seem to get too technical with the simple concept of mind reading -- MR -- (although I do not dispute your words -- as usually, your arguments are very exciting!) Though I rarely happen to read minds of others -- usually I transmit my thoughts (wishes) onto others... For example, while disputing with my boyfriends, I'd often used to send them a mental command:
"STOP ARGUING, AND MAKE LOVE TO ME!" In about 3-4 minutes (most men are a bit slow), they would have forgotten what they were saying -- being consumed with the sudden attack of passion...

You see, the brain does not interpret every single thought, but receives them in a batch of thoughts, and interprets them in a similar manner, as a butch. * * *

As far as controlling the artificial limbs with the power of thoughts, I've seen a documentary where kids amputees (equiped with a mini amplifyer) were capable of bending the fingers of an artificial arm... (the research is stil being conducted...

You are correct in assuming it is just a matter of time until we'd beforced to wear some kind of hats to protect our privacy,,,
I hope, MR would not be adnissible in courtd -- otherwise the courts will be forever tied up with the cases of personal insults: "F. you..."

As far a creative's atgument, "there are only finite amounts of chemical reactions -- but there id an infinite vsryety oh the fegree f imtrnsity,

As fa as Creative,s argunebt -- There is no measurable product of thought which accurately defines the content of it -- electric impuldes prodiced by thoights are wuite mesdurable#

no photo
Sun 05/24/09 01:27 AM
Edited by HANDLEWITHCAUTION on Sun 05/24/09 01:54 AM

Could anyone explain the reasons why the possibility of mind reading is high?

Thoughts are things. Vibrations. We sense vibrations.

As usually, Gloria, you hit the neil right on the head! Though Vibrations are a popular way of explaining the phenomenon of mind reading, to be exact the heart of the matter is in receiving the brain waves (vibrations) and intepreting them. (while vibrations can pic up the mood, etc,)

Definition of terms:
-- (R)eceiver - the one who receives the vibrations; (Subject)
-- (T)ransmitter - the source of vibrations. (Object)

Obviously, the closer R is to T, the better the transmission is. The R, at least, has to see the T. I doubt whether its possible to read the mind of any arbitrary T... (although I can often read in between the lines of the messages that I get in here, but that's not the same -- comprehension isn't the same as mind reading)

In my youth, I've known a professional hypnotist who's been capable of performing a fit of mind reading in public:
all he had to do is gaze into eyes of the T for a few seconds to guess the specific thought which the T was thinking about...

As a matter of fact, I can still do something similar:

1, think of the number (1 through 9) -- an X,
2. Add 10 to X, (Sum1)
3. Substruct 6 from the sum1, (result1)
4. add 1 to result1 (sum2)
5. substract X from sum2
************************You have left 5! ! ! * * * * * *

As you can see, mind reading isquite straight forward! (LOL)

no photo
Sat 05/23/09 03:12 PM
On the other hand, the reason might be simply that

YA HAVE A BAD BREATH!!!?

SO, WATCH YOUR ORAL HYGENE! HA HA HA

(just joking...)