Community > Posts By > Douglas

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 10:30 AM

Curious and looking for honest answers, not the political correctness stuff.
Question for both genders, but mostly curious about men's feelings.

Let's say you're out and about, whether a shop, a pub, and so on, and you spot another person of your own gender that is incredibly attractive.
You can see that for yourself but you also see the other gender cast looks and turn their heads.

How does it make you feel to see / come close to another man or woman (your own gender!) who is seriously attractive.

I know women can feel very insecure or get competitive when this happens.
What happens for you guys?
Does it make you less confident, competitive, out-alpha-ed or something?
How does it affect you?
Would you befriend such a man? Or rather avoid that as it could mean you never get seen and never get interest from the ladies anymore?

Also... if you happen to be a popular man do you notice other men avoid you? Or does you being popular and a great guy make you more easily get male friends?

Again, I'm looking for honest answers as I'm genuinely interested how this works for/in men.

There is, always will be and always has been someone smarter, better looking, taller, faster, more knowledgeable, etc. than me. Part of becoming a man is to accept this and still feel confident in whom you are; still admire the person you are. 'Out-alpha-ed'? Tss, there is no thing as this alpha concept, no man (or woman) is on top everywhere and all the time.

When I am in an arena and mood when I feel genuinely confident, I have noticed I draw people (men and women, generally for differing reasons) to me. I suppose the naive might think at that moment I am the 'alpha male' but the next day I might be feeling lost and unsure in an environment I am unused to .. and nobody would look at me (or I might hope they won't, anyway).

As a man who has often been out with very beautiful women (despite my own looks, not because of them) I am used to my partner noticing other men. Why wouldn't she? I notice other women. It is not looking that matters, it's what a person does about it. Faithfulness is not about the lack of attraction elsewhere, it is about the lack of action despite that attraction.

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 10:12 AM
I was expecting this topic to be referring to something else.

I had an ex take a photo of me once at 'that' moment. She said no man would fake it because there's no way any man could deliberately make such a funny face.

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 10:00 AM
If it's hot: cold milk
If it's cold: Horlicks (a milk malt drink)

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 08:35 AM
It used to be Labrador, because that's what I grew up with.
Then Alsatian, because they are such handsome devils and devilishly smart.
Then I lived with a Boxer, and another. They are clever, loving, always up for a game and love to make you laugh. Even during training lessons, one of them—fully knowing what was expected of him—would goof about and get it wrong in funny ways. I can't ever imagine getting another dog that wasn't at least a Boxer cross.

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 04:08 AM

...Anytime the government threatens to take away any rights of the people it's a bad thing...

It is good to read this. We all should be caring about the rights of the most vulnerable people in society. This particularly includes, of course, the unborn, who deserve the choice to live.

Decades ago, feminists had a favourite phrase for men: "if they don't want a child, they should keep it in their pants." Equality is a ***** but the same works the other way: "if they don't want a child, they should keep their legs crossed." That is the point of choice, not later when the life of someone else is at stake.

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 02:41 AM

i never realized that i have a opium forum with other pollitic way of life that couldnt imagine i cannot wait for something happiness in life she can never amaze me everything i feel very plesant way of life i could never believe it that you day do it in your life i never pursue you every time i tell my happy way of my life every time i do that i broke my happiness i aszure my self every time i do dreaming of my road of life with my fantastic dreaming girl . I don't know why she shelter my dreaming opportunity in life she badly not good attitude of reality life! where are you weren't G?!🤬

May I suggest that you read it back to yourself aloud. When you find yourself pausing, put in a comma. When you draw breath, put a full stop (period). When you change the emphasis of what you are talking about, put a blank line.

That would not be perfect punctuation but it would help to make your writing easier to read.

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 02:22 AM

if all of us walk over to one side
we can flip it

Isn't that why people get so concerned about immigration? noway

Douglas's photo
Thu 05/12/22 02:15 AM
Flat

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 04:13 PM

Truth is stranger than fiction

A flat Earth is fiction, not truth.

Given that we can walk all over the earth without ever feeling that we are about to topple off or lose our balance (intoxicating substances aside), surely it is indeed strange that we live on a giant ball, instead of on a flat surface.

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 01:51 PM
Dole

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 01:09 PM
Edited by Douglas on Wed 05/11/22 01:12 PM

Maybe I'm just out of touch with dating but I really struggle with smalltalk. When I see someone I like on here I can't but help asking them if they would like to meet for some coffee and chat.

Online is not reality for me and it becomes a little awkward to chat. The excitement of meeting for real is much better than passing messages back and fourth. If meeting up works, Great, you've done brilliant to find someone, if not be polite and move on.

Online is somewhat false.

I agree that online can feel stilted. And getting along online doesn't mean you will get along in person.

But many people here are shy (that could be why they haven't found a partner offline) and some are a little scared. So they want to talk a little, get a feel for what kind of person you are, before making that big scary step of actually coming face-to-face with another human being.

So be willing to explore common interests, not to discuss them much but just to find if you have any. Is this a gormless person who you won't be able to tolerate when you do meet, or will there be something you can talk about?

As for small talk.. I remember once at a chamber of commerce event, a speaker asked the roomful of over a hundred, who among us felt they were good at small talk. All of us in the high-powered, go-getter category of people. Two people put up their hand: just two! Most of us are even worse than that 2% and we could all do with a little help and sympathy.

Like Mark says, sometimes it is so hard to get any kind of conversation going. I suspect such people would not be those you want to meet for a cuppa and chat, anyway, so don't feel bad about it: you are weeding them out already :smile:

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 05:42 AM
Iran

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 04:43 AM
Real

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 04:40 AM

I might add that want and need are two separate things.

I thought that, too, but someone who doesn't use the article or capital letters probably does not have a command of the English language that makes the distinction clear.

Also, I look back on my younger days and see that there was a real 'need' in me to mate, to be with a woman. Only later in life has that changed to being a simple desire, something I could live without but be happier with. :smile:

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 04:28 AM

i need relationship

Doesn't this belong on the 'Say something vague' thread.

After all, isn't everyone here wanting a relationship? Surely that is the entire purpose of this site? ohwell

But what kind of relationship, with whom, where?

I find it annoying the women who write and say "I want a relationship." It seems such a dead-end and useless comment. frustrated

/rant over! spock

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 02:51 AM

A person never knows what they like till they try it

False.

One thing that separates sapient men from animals is our imagination. We do not have to put our foot in a fire to know that we will not like it: we can extrapolate from other experiences, examine our feelings and gain knowledge.

Douglas's photo
Wed 05/11/22 02:45 AM
Edited by Douglas on Wed 05/11/22 02:45 AM
Does the Quran ever mention Jesus by his name? It amazes me that the Bible calls him by the Roman version of his name - effectively naming him according to his cultural enemies. It seems a huge insult.

Douglas's photo
Tue 05/10/22 12:23 PM
Well, you know, it's like this, ain't it, see?

Douglas's photo
Tue 05/10/22 07:51 AM
I think the search results are ordered by last seen. It might not be to the instant but certainly those who have not been around a week, are further back on search results, and those not seen for a month are even later in the results.

Douglas's photo
Mon 05/09/22 09:01 PM

FNG?

I'm guessing effing new guy. Anybody have another guess? Can be a new game thread

Or Finna Nut Gang according to the Urban Dictionary

Not that that tells me anything!