Community > Posts By > Dan99

Dan99's photo
Sun 04/01/12 12:47 AM

Mankind has had religion since the beginnings of what we can dig up. One could say it is part of what makes us unique. Since it has such a long history as being part of our daily lives, it is hard to understand how one could say it is alien, harmful, or damaging.

One only needs to look at the state of
the world to understand how it has been damaging.
Eons of indoctrination has not served us well.
No difference between teaching a kid to make a bomb
and teaching a kid to use a gun to kill.

Now again since I can't account for all the different beliefs. Just look at the Christian point of view on what you have said. Heck the scriptures teach the same as they teach in elementry about your conduct "treat others the way you wish to be treated".

Matthew 7:12
12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

do you need scriptures to tell you this or can't you think on your own?Matter of fact how stupid were people thousands of years ago to need someone to tell them,"you need to treat others as you want to be treated"

If it is not needed to be told, then why do they teach this to our children in early school? If they already know, then why tell them? And do you think children truly know this when they are born?

Some things are in our genes and do not need to be learnt, other things we pick up throughout life.

Children are instinctively gullible for a reason, it is in our human nature to trust our parents for reasons of survival. 'Dont swim with the crocodiles' for example, is good survival advice, and if we didnt listen to our parents advice we would not be as strong a species as we are.

This is why it is wrong to bring kids up with religion, because they will believe whatever you tell them even if it is wrong. If Christianity happened to be correct, then all those poor islamic and jewish kids are being led to a life full of wasted time, money and beliefs.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 09:34 AM
Edited by Dan99 on Sat 03/31/12 09:35 AM

I think you should look at the big picture. I went to Church as a child but my parents did not tell me what to think. Later in life, my dad told me it was my responsibility to learn and choose my directions.

Mankind has had religion since the beginnings of what we can dig up. One could say it is part of what makes us unique. Since it has such a long history as being part of our daily lives, it is hard to understand how one could say it is alien, harmful, or damaging.

There are religions who preach to kill, throw virgins in volcanoes, and cut out the hearts of men out while they are still alive. Just as with men, all are not good.

Within each branch of any religion there are those who are sick and demented and should not be allowed in any society. But that is just the statistics of mankind and the way it has always been.

Teaching religion is usually good, for it teaches moral behaviors as the right way to live. It has worked for thousands of years.

Teaching a child to strap on a bomb ... That's evil.

People dont need religion to have morals, including children. Whilst not all religious people are bad, or immoral, the number of bad things done in the name of religion is massive. So teaching religion, in my view, is generally bad.

I have never heard of anyone doing anything bad in the name of athiesm.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 09:26 AM

Very true, but one thing I have always argued with my parents on. Is this, as a scientist, I can say "Aha new data, WE WERE WRONG ABOUT THAT". This is because religion was created as an early form of government.

Science is the quest for knowledge, it is adaptable, agile and evolves as we learn more.

By its very nature, religion is stagnant and unchanging, because the idea of a monotheistic god figure is absolute, unchanging. etc. I know some polytheistic religions that have a more adaptable ideological structure but still no real evidence. And that there is the problem - evidence - evidence to support the claims made by religions and the subscribers to religions can not adequately compete with the evidence and theories that advances in science have proven true, or at least consistent when applied.

But science and religion truly can't be compared all that much. Now please keep in mind I'm stating this from a Christian aspect, and not from a general "religion" aspect, for I don't know an entire lot about the different religious beliefs.

But the scriptures we have don't tell about molecules, cells, ect. That is where science is good. For it has allowed us to progress much as a civilization in general.

But as for the creation of us and the world as a general aspect, even science places it as a "theory". And a theory all in all is nothing more then an educated guess. It's not an exact without a doubt fact.

And the scriptures and or the belief in general is about things that happened in the past eg., "history". Or things that are to come. So again, has really not much to do with "science".

Why are you turning this into a religion versus science discussion?

This thread is about how religion abuses(Or doesnt abuse depending on your view) children. Are you trying to divert the attention away from child abuse on purpose?

No, my apologies for that. Was discussing what was said, not specifically the topic of the thread.

But I ask you this, how is it abusive? Doesn't matter if one's parents believe in a religion or not. If they force or continuously make their child feel guilty using a religion, that is that parent's fault. Not the religious belief in general.

Many religious beliefs are abusive in themselves. Burning in hell for eternity, the stoning of heathens, of gays etc etc etc

Many many beliefs within the bible and other scriptures are truly awful.

No one will ever burn in hell for eternity. Hell will be destroyed in the end of times. It will be thrown into the lake of fire. And no one said being thrown into the lake of fire will be an everlasting torture. It says "This is known as the second death". If one is dead, one wouldn't be tortured, now would they?

And no one better stone anyone anymore, for Jesus is our judge. And the scriptures referring to the stoning and what not was when the world was very remotely populated. It's not like they were just going around stoning everyone, stoning was the last option if the person refused to turn from that which was in question.

The New Testament is less awful but it is hardly pleasant. You believe in Genesis(it was your posts i was reading when i was inspired to write my original post), so you must also think the entire old testament is justified and true, or do you pick and choose the nice bits? I know Jesus changed a few things about but you cant argue that its all nice and about love, can you?

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 09:16 AM

Very true, but one thing I have always argued with my parents on. Is this, as a scientist, I can say "Aha new data, WE WERE WRONG ABOUT THAT". This is because religion was created as an early form of government.

Science is the quest for knowledge, it is adaptable, agile and evolves as we learn more.

By its very nature, religion is stagnant and unchanging, because the idea of a monotheistic god figure is absolute, unchanging. etc. I know some polytheistic religions that have a more adaptable ideological structure but still no real evidence. And that there is the problem - evidence - evidence to support the claims made by religions and the subscribers to religions can not adequately compete with the evidence and theories that advances in science have proven true, or at least consistent when applied.

But science and religion truly can't be compared all that much. Now please keep in mind I'm stating this from a Christian aspect, and not from a general "religion" aspect, for I don't know an entire lot about the different religious beliefs.

But the scriptures we have don't tell about molecules, cells, ect. That is where science is good. For it has allowed us to progress much as a civilization in general.

But as for the creation of us and the world as a general aspect, even science places it as a "theory". And a theory all in all is nothing more then an educated guess. It's not an exact without a doubt fact.

And the scriptures and or the belief in general is about things that happened in the past eg., "history". Or things that are to come. So again, has really not much to do with "science".

This thread is about how religion abuses(Or doesnt abuse depending on your view) children. Are you trying to divert the attention away from child abuse on purpose?

No, my apologies for that. Was discussing what was said, not specifically the topic of the thread.

But I ask you this, how is it abusive? Doesn't matter if one's parents believe in a religion or not. If they force or continuously make their child feel guilty using a religion, that is that parent's fault. Not the religious belief in general.

Many religious beliefs are abusive in themselves. Burning in hell for eternity, the stoning of heathens, of gays etc etc etc

Many many beliefs within the bible and other scriptures are truly awful.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 09:04 AM

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:52 AM

My thoughts exactly, in much better words than i am capable of writing myself.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:42 AM
Edited by Dan99 on Sat 03/31/12 08:46 AM

@Jermanicus

Dude, what are you talking about, they are totally different.

Religion is the proliferation of an ideology that embraces fantasy over reality and uses "faith" as an excuse for ignorance, thus making ignorance their way of life. Both my parents were ministers ordained and devoted, when to seminaries and such.

I most of my life following that way of life. The Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy? People don't kill or destroy the lives of others, or live their lives in a why that is destructive for the scientific advancement of humanity for these characters.

Religion is the protective sheath of ignorance - and ignorance is the disease that breads only death and degenerative live styles.

Instilling ignorant behavior in children is child abuse, in my opinion.

Religion is the proliferation of an ideology that embraces fantasy over reality and uses "faith" as an excuse for ignorance, thus making ignorance their way of life. Both my parents were ministers ordained and devoted, when to seminaries and such.

Not totally.

Science is the same in that aspect. Yeah you can read a book up on certain things that a scientist says is true or not true. But you are placing faith in what they say to be true, for you have absolutely no way if this scientist is right or not. You just take on faith that what he says is true about the science in mention.

People who believe in science are willing to change their views when new evidence arises.

There isnt an Ancient Book of Science, which people will believe no matter what.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:38 AM

No parent will disown their child when they denounce the Easter Bunny either.

Its an abuse which often continues throughout the childs entire life.

No parent will or should disown their child when they denounces God either. It is each persons choice. Doesn't make someone any better of a person or any greater of a person when one accepts God. We are all just people that make different choices. It is no one's place to judge another, not even a mom or dad to a child.

No parent should, but many many many parents do.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:36 AM

This was going to be a post in another thread, but i thought it deserved a thread of its own..

Its funny to see people arguing over things written in Genesis. Arguing like they truly believe that the story is real.

Actually, it isn't funny at all, its a massive shame. Its a shame that their brains have been so polluted that they cannot see what is obvious to many others(that being that the story is just a story, which even many religious people acknowledge). It is a shame that no matter how much evidence and logic is put before them, that they will keep on believing.

The biggest shame of all, is that when these people have children, they will indoctrinate the same rubbish into their babies tiny brains, and they'll grow up as misguided as them. And the vicious cycle continues to continue. This is one major reason why so many people in the world believe so much in their imaginary friend they call God. This is nothing short of Child Abuse. The abused grow up and keep abusing, and they think its perfectly normal.

Installing religion into a childs gullible mind, is wrong, and abusive. Agree or Disagree?

And I can say the same for the other side of the coin here.

Installing atheism into a dhilds gullible mind, is wrong, and abusive.

Its not necessarily directly comparable, but i do agree with you in principle.

I'll give my child the opportunity to make his own mind up, and when he is old enough, he can call himself a Christian, a Muslim, a Gay, or whatever he chooses.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:30 AM
No parent will disown their child when they denounce the Easter Bunny either.

Its an abuse which often continues throughout the childs entire life.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:28 AM

It's no more abuse than making a child believe in Santa Claus,Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy?
but they don't end up going to hell if the don't believe in the ones you mentioned,but if they don't believe in the mythical God they are taught they go to hell.

This is true, many kids truly believe they will end up in hell. This is one of the reasons why i believe religion abuses children.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:24 AM

It's no more abuse than making a child believe in Santa Claus,Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy?

Are you sure? Shall i give you more time to think about this?

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 08:19 AM
This was going to be a post in another thread, but i thought it deserved a thread of its own..

Its funny to see people arguing over things written in Genesis. Arguing like they truly believe that the story is real.

Actually, it isn't funny at all, its a massive shame. Its a shame that their brains have been so polluted that they cannot see what is obvious to many others(that being that the story is just a story, which even many religious people acknowledge). It is a shame that no matter how much evidence and logic is put before them, that they will keep on believing.

The biggest shame of all, is that when these people have children, they will indoctrinate the same rubbish into their babies tiny brains, and they'll grow up as misguided as them. And the vicious cycle continues to continue. This is one major reason why so many people in the world believe so much in their imaginary friend they call God. This is nothing short of Child Abuse. The abused grow up and keep abusing, and they think its perfectly normal.

Installing religion into a childs gullible mind, is wrong, and abusive. Agree or Disagree?

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/31/12 07:53 AM
I suffer greatly from Morning Wood. So greatly in fact that i also get it in the afternoon and evening too. When i say 'i suffer', i really mean 'my partner suffers', because i always poke her with it until it goes away.

Dan99's photo
Tue 03/20/12 01:19 AM
It is so easy to use the bible for evil partly because religion gets unnecessary respect. You aren't allowed to say anything against religion in many situations without being branded a bigot. The views of religious folk are too often taken into account too strongly about too many subjects they have no justified expertise on. These views are very often unfounded and full of bias. All of the main monothiest religions are based on the evilness of god(which they will strongly disagree with even though it is plain fact), and this evilness transmits to a large number of the religions followers.

Dan99's photo
Tue 03/20/12 01:01 AM

Its a wonderful book and I loved reading it. I especially like the part of how to give a genuine compliment. Now wonder Dale got so rich.

Never needed a book to tell me how to do that, or how to be nice to people.

If you read the book you would find things in there that you dont know, which would help you to be able to do things even better than you already can. I can see why people are quick to dismiss this book, and not see how it could be useful or relevant to them, but it is in fact relevant to everybody in one way or another. Anyone who thinks they know everything about anything, is always going to be wrong.

Dan99's photo
Sun 03/18/12 01:16 AM
She might appreciate the cash more. In three years the tech shares might be worthless.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/17/12 11:58 PM

For most of my life I had a negative attitude toward this book. Dale Carnegie was a salesman and I am very mistrustful of salesmen. I don't think I ever read it when I was a kid, but if I did it still would have put me off. Part of it was the word "Influence" in the title, which I interpreted as "Manipulate."

HOWEVER, within the last year I did read it from cover to cover, and I was very impressed. The methods he talks about in there will work. It is actually a terrific guide to improving your social skills. It's a little bit dated now, but not nearly as much as you might expect for a book of its age.

Optomistic, he uses the term "win" friends in the sense that you have to earn people's friendship. Like winning their trust and respect.

I cant stand salesmen, or being sold to. Mainly because you know what the salesman is doing and saying is trying to manipulate you into something for their own benefit. But as you know the teachings in the book are more towards techniques of advising people for THIER own benefit. I'm not a salesman in any shape of form, i look at the books advice from a different angle, like more towards just being more friendly and honest to people in general, this might have an outcome beneficial to myself, but it is more directly beneficial to other people.

The book is definately dated in terms of many of the examples it gives, but the general ideas are timeless because they are based on underlying aspects of human nature which don't really change.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/17/12 11:44 PM

I know it's very Machiavellian,but if people think they're your friend they're easier to manipulate.

You are correct, although the book stresses the need to be sincere, and that if you are not sincere that people will see through it.

Dan99's photo
Sat 03/17/12 09:28 AM

Can't figure out why anyone would want to "Win Friends"

Maybe it gives advice. Who knows? lol.

The title of the book doesn't really indicate the true ideas in the book. It is more geared towards how to be liked, rather than how to win friends. It is also more related to how to be liked by and win the trust of people in a business setting, although some of the ideas do apply to all kinds of relationships.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25