Community > Posts By > Zion

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 11:40 PM
Tom, you are a wonderful fountain of knowledge and have extensive information to be shared...you just need to learn how to regulate the amount you share at one opportunity. You overwhelm most people with the amount of information you offer. Most people ask for a drink of water and you give them Niagara Falls. You're kind of like the Sol Roth of Mingles2. If there is something that you need to know, you consult the "Book."

As far as Godzilla goes...He's my childhood hero. He alone sparked my interest in everything Japanese. My favorites range across his lifespan. I'd have to put my favorite order as Final Wars (#29), vs. Megalon (#13), Godzilla 2000 (#24), Shin Godzilla (#31) and Gojira (#1) as my top 5. I haven't seen anything beyond #31 YET, but I will eventually. As far as Godzilla (1998) goes, I've expounded on that in depth on other venues. https://letterboxd.com/psxtreme/film/godzilla-1998/

As for your reference to preferring older movies, I do but not for the points you raised. I have also watched my share of good and bad throughout the eras. Honestly, I seem to prefer a campy B-Movie with a bowl of popcorn over any A-Grade experience. At least the B-Grade movies of the 70s tried to be straight compared to the SyFy garbage that doesn't even put forth an effort. When you rely on Special Effects, expect to be disappointed.

I have nothing against remakes, or sequels. Some are actually better than the originals (Wild Card (2015) vs. Heat (1986) and Taking of Pelham 123 (2009 vs. 1974) come directly to mind). I just prefer the quality of the actors of older films over those of today.

Today has been a wonderful day as far as movies go. I've discovered one fantastic new franchise and a great new Submarine movie and a new bit of Baseball History. I'll have them all listed over the next few posts...

The Bedford Incident (1965)

“Hunt her down … until she comes up!”

During a routine patrol, a reporter is given permission to interview a a hardened cold-war warrior and captain of the American destroyer USS Bedford. The reporter gets more than he bargained for when the Bedford discovers a Soviet sub and the captain begins a relentless pursuit, pushing his crew to breaking point.

9 out of 10

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 09:55 PM
A career Criminal...

Resisting arrest after committing another just another in a long list of felonies...

Sounds like a legit reason to burn down buildings, loot and destroy businesses, deface monuments.

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 08:57 PM
Krispy Kreme Donuts

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 08:52 PM
L Devine - Boring People

https://youtu.be/yB6n2GpiqL4

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 06:44 PM
Edited by Zion on Mon 06/01/20 06:45 PM
Inigo Montoya

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 06:18 PM
Gumby

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 06:06 PM
Looks GREAT. Don't change a thing!!!!!

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 05:54 PM
Elmo...now tickle him...

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 05:51 PM
Why I'll tell you...

...let me give you
a little inside information about God.

God likes to watch.

He's a prankster.

Think about it.

He gives man... instincts.
He gives you this extraordinary gift,
and then what does He do?

I swear, for his own amusement...
...his own private, cosmic...gag reel...
...He sets the rules in opposition.

It's the goof of all time.

Look, but don't touch.
Touch, but don't taste.
Taste, but don't swallow.
And while you're jumping from one foot
to the next, what is He doing?

He's laughing his sick, ****ing *** off!

He's a tightass!
He's a sadist!
He's an absentee landlord!

Worship that? Never!

-John Milton The Devil's Advocate (1997)

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 03:09 PM

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 09:35 AM

Thinking... some website, coach, or tv person must be telling men to send women a cheesy opening line and an equally numbskulled question directly after that.
"Hi I like your profile! Cats or dogs?"

I can tell you, that doesn't work! slaphead

Yep, I’ve had about a dozen of those too laugh

Hihi, many do it it seems. I wonder who put that into their heads as being good advice.

I like it when they ask me that...because they obviously didn't look at my profile pic...just another easy delete.

laugh :thumbsup:

I just assumed it was the same ummm person who got deleted and came back under another name
Delete delete delete grumble

they seem to re-appear constantly...

now I'm just focusing on how many licks it takes...

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 08:50 AM

Watch high action films with lots of flashes in a dark room and you will cry.

I cried at the end of Godzilla (2014) when I thought Godzilla was dead but he got back up. Tears of Joy.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah brought tears to my eyes when Jr. gave his roar before the credits rolled...

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 07:34 AM
Edited by Zion on Mon 06/01/20 07:36 AM
Xu

(a monetary unit of Vietnam, equal to one hundredth of a dong.)

you can't make this up...

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 06:51 AM
I had to give up on Skyrim....just too damn many bugs were ruining the adventure.

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 06:00 AM
Very Cranky Weasel

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 05:41 AM

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 04:46 AM
The 40 Year Old Virgin...

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 04:36 AM

Thinking... restaurants will probably be insanely busy! Especially today, it being the first day they're allowed to open up again -with restrictions that I expect won't be met- and it being Whit Monday and glorious weather.
There are chitloads of tourists here and I'm sure they all want to go to a restaurant.

I wonder how many will get disappointed as they have to keep space between tables so not on top of each other as usual. And restaurants can only accept customers who made reservations.
And I believe they only do 2 sets of times for dinner to prevent a constant coming and going of people.

They opened up Missouri at the beginning of last month but still have stringent restrictions for restaurants limiting them to 25% capacity. Many of the restaurants decided to stay closed, if they didn't have take-out/delivery abilities because they couldn't run in the black with those limits instituted. Many of the event venues down in Branson were also complaining about opening up and not being able to fill enough seats to break even. The news was interviewing people and most expressed surprise that there were not more people out and about.

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 04:12 AM
Edited by Zion on Mon 06/01/20 04:13 AM
I'd like to see the amount of outrage if there was a white Shaft or Axel Foley (Beverly Hills Cop) remake. Or better yet, let's make them someone with an alternative lifestyle and see how open-minded these Progressives demanding change actually are. For most movies, the demographics aren't important. However, there are just certain roles that can not be replicated as simply.

Hollywood has tried to recreate some past gems like True Grit, Death Wish and Ben Hur and are shocked when they fall flat on their faces. Even the remake of Evil Dead, when they switched the Bruce Campbell character with Jane Levy; it just doesn't have the same character and feel, plus part of the movie's charm is the low-budget look with the inventiveness of a developing crew and cast.

Finally, I would have to say that today's group of actors just don't have, well the easiest way to put it, is Presence. Bruce Willis and Lawrence Fishburne are not Sidney Poitier or Humphrey Bogart, but they do at least command a screen presence. This new wave of actors just don't have that same aura. Watch The Expendables 3 to see first-hand what I'm talking about. The older actors, even the B-Grade ones, have pizzazz while most of the younger ones seem interchangeable and anonymous. IMO, you can't remake classic films without having strong enough actors/actresses to pull of the roles.

Police Academy: Mission to Moscow (1994)

Just when we thought the Cold War was over, leave it to these guys to heat it up again.

The Russians need help in dealing with the Mafia and so they seek help with the veterans of the Police Academy. They head off to Moscow, in order to find evidence against Konstantin Konali, who marketed a computer game that everyone in the world is playing.

5 out of 10

Deadline Auto Theft (1983)

After the attempted theft of his daughter's husband's car, LAPD Captain Gibbs declares war on master car thief Maindrian Pace, whose insurance investigation company provides the perfect front. A South American drug lord pays Pace and his team to steal 48 cars for him, so they set out on the job while the police frantically try to track him down. Their efforts pay off when Pace's boss double-crosses him and tips them off on his next job. Police pursue Pace in "Eleanor", the last of the cars needed to fulfill their contract, through southern California as he tries to get away.

7 out of 10

no photo
Mon 06/01/20 02:55 AM
Because sometimes Kangaroos bark.