Community > Posts By > BKLAW612

no photo
Sun 05/20/12 08:43 AM
I am not a fan of kale, but when my sister made this for me while recovering from surgery ...I was hooked!

2 large bunches of kale, thoughly washed and dried
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 Shallot, peeled and finely diced
1/4 Cup dry white wine
1/4 Cup water
A few knobs of butter
A handful of pine nuts
4 Strips of thickly-cut smoky bacon
A handful of golden raisins
1 Lemon
Parmeesan cheese, freshly grated

Remove the thick stems from each leaf of kale, and cut leaves into large manageable pieces.
In pan over high heat with olive oil, cook kale until lghtly softened and bright green, but still crunchy. Salt to taste. Transfercooked kale to bowl and cool. (you will want to cook kale in small batches to avoid crowding and use fresh oil for each batch. Wipe the pan between batches to avoid burnt oil flavor)

Over low heat, sweat the shallots with olive oil until translucent. Season with salt. Cover the shallots with wine and water. Bring to a boil and immediately turn heat down to a simmer. Reduce until liquid has almost but not quite evaporated. Pour the shallotts over the cooked kale and cool.

For the pine nuts, place a good amount of butter in a pan over medium heat. when butter becomes frothy, add the pine nuts. Cook, stirring constantly. Once they have become almost golden, transfer to paper towel lined dish to drain and cool. They will continue to cook from residual heat, so be sure to remove from direct heat early.

Cut bacon into bite size piece. Slowly render over low heat until crispy. Transfer to paper towel lined dish to drain. Add to kale.

Add raisins( I like diced apples too), lemon juice to taste and parmesan cheese to taste, toss to combine.

no photo
Sun 05/20/12 08:08 AM

you know, I never even thought of freezing it before, but I'm going to try that. I freeze spaghetti sauce all the time in those zip lock baggies. With my son's wedding coming up in September and many out state of guests filling my house, anything I can make ahead of time is a good thing. Thanks, breakfast easier... I like that bigsmile

Have you ever tried a breakfast bake cassarole? You put it in the frig overnite and bake in morning ..easy !

no photo
Sun 05/20/12 08:02 AM
I also froze left over french toast. He would just pop them in the toaster or George Foreman grill, add syrup, eat. Because I had to leave for work before he ate, I had to find quick breakfast food he liked or he wouldn't eat! noway

no photo
Sun 05/20/12 07:43 AM
my dad taught me the same trick. I also froze single servings of sauage gravy for my son to reheat for breakfast.

no photo
Sun 05/20/12 07:38 AM
Yes, I read all three in week's time.

no photo
Sat 05/19/12 11:00 AM

How do you prefer to use these forums?

Do you participate in all different forums, or just specific ones?

Do you just chat with friends, or do you try to get to know new people?

Do you prefer to participate in discussions that go back and forth quite a bit and can be more serious, or do you like light hearted threads better?

Do you try to understand what people are saying, or take what they say without question?

I read through most of the posts, see what I am interested in, some things I comment on. some things I dont.

I like to see peoples opinions and seeing how they respond.

Same here./

no photo
Fri 05/18/12 07:21 PM
laugh

no photo
Fri 05/18/12 07:19 PM
Sorry Eileena, I read and purchase books on my Verizon tablet. If I had a Nook, I would gladly "share ". flowerforyou

no photo
Tue 05/15/12 05:41 PM
Lafayette area

no photo
Tue 05/15/12 05:37 PM

it was a good vacation book(s), just not sure what the hype is all about. spock

LOL! Okay! I had wondered how they'd do a movie on it, if it was more risque than normal. But if it's really not, then there shouldn't be a big problem.

Definitely risque!! I am curious how they plan to make a movie shades x-rated?

no photo
Tue 05/15/12 05:27 PM
it was a good vacation book(s), just not sure what the hype is all about. spock

no photo
Tue 05/15/12 05:22 PM
While on vacation last week in Florida, I read these three books. I will admit all the hype around these books piqued my interest. Like being banned in some public libraries, and husbands/boyfriends buying it for their wives/girlfriends.
Harliquin/Romance, bit of mystery with a lot of erotica. Universal now has the movie rights.
Has anyone else read these?

no photo
Fri 05/04/12 04:50 PM
Happy Birthday!

no photo
Thu 05/03/12 06:04 PM
Carnation! Pretty accurate. Thanks for the interesting post.

no photo
Thu 05/03/12 05:58 PM
I always match for work. I have to dress in a suit or something professional. At home....not so much, but when I leave the house on the weekends, casual but matching.

no photo
Tue 04/17/12 04:55 PM
drinker Cheers to Put In Bay!

no photo
Tue 04/17/12 04:19 PM
My sister and her husband have a boat in Michigan. Fun times taking a trip to Cedar Pointe and Putting Bay. Love the water on a clear beautiful day. Not so much in a storm, which has happen more than once!

no photo
Sun 04/15/12 04:59 AM
Rain here today too. Lazy day , might catch a movie later. Have a great day Minglers !flowerforyou

no photo
Mon 04/09/12 04:47 PM
year 9

no photo
Fri 04/06/12 03:14 AM
Good Morning,

Having my first cup of coffee....with just a splash of Carmel Baileys. very yummy. Packed and ready to head to MI for some family bonding as soon as the sun comes out. Not happy with gas prices, however.
Have a great weekend!
waving