Community > Posts By > actionlynx

actionlynx's photo
Thu 11/29/18 03:58 PM
Watching videos and tv, but still feeling bored anyway.

actionlynx's photo
Tue 11/27/18 07:57 AM
I once read somewhere that the best approach is to ask a question, like for some help or for a small favor.

Corollary to that was asking about something obvious that establishes a common link.

For instance, say you are into tattoos, and you come across someone you're interested in who has some tattoos. You might make a pleasant remark about the person's tattoo. Going back to the first point, you might even ask if you could have a better look at the person's tattoo. If you have your own tattoo, you might make mention of it, then ask if the other person would like to see it.

The point here is that it creates a topic of conversation that both people have interest in.

A lot of people will pretty much just ignore someone who simply says 'hi'. Sure, they might say 'hi' back, but it won't go any further than that. Next thing you know, there's that awkward silence as you try to figure out what to say to get the person's attention enough to actually strike up a conversation that is more than just polite small talk. Many people aren't into small talk, so just having a pleasant but superficial conversation may actually be a turnoff.

Awhile back, I mentioned a story about a young woman on the bus whom I noticed was interested in me. By taking time to observe her over several weeks, I already had plenty of ways to approach her for conversation. For instance, I noticed that she was into Japanese anime - something we both have in common. I also noticed that we both listened to music on the bus. Since I have very broad interests in music, that was another potential icebreaker. She had a very colorful tattoo on one forearm that I never got a good look at. Normally I don't like tattoos, but I had never seen one with such great colors. I would have liked to get a better look at it, and maybe learn why she chose that specific artwork (often there's a story behind a tattoo like that). I had several more potential icebreakers as well. All I had to do was act. But as I mentioned elsewhere, by the time I worked up the nerve, I stopped seeing her on the bus. The opportunity was gone because I waited too long.

But this is why I like to observe people first. I'm not good at instantly striking up conversation. I need time to find something to work with. Of course, sometimes that's a disadvantage.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:54 PM
yawn asleep

G'night

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:51 PM
Preparing for bed

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:49 PM
It's called the guest room. rofl

Fine, I'll leave some water on the nightstand, and make breakfast in the morning. And I'll lay out some soap and towels for when you shower and a new toothbrush.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:45 PM
Hey! That's not my tongue!

Maybe I should do something, like tuck it back where it came from? what

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:39 PM
tongue2

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:38 PM
Oh hell yeah, if you're gonna take my bed, you better give me one! laugh

And just for that, I'll even let you keep the nice soft blanket rather than giving you the old scratchy one. bigsmile

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:35 PM
That's what they all say....until you find that one spot that makes them squirm.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:31 PM
Good. Just let me strap on my armor to avoid getting clobbered...

...and then I can chase off the competition. bigsmile

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:28 PM
Wha-??? She expects to get my bed and a massage??? slaphead

Sadly, I'm just enough of a sucker to do it. tongue2

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:24 PM
Dagnabbit and jumpin' Jehosephat!

I'm gonna win, even if it means tickling everyone into submission. pitchfork

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:23 PM
Thinking...

I'm me, imperfections and all. If a person cannot accept that, then what makes a person think I would ever be willing to change *just for* him or her?

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:16 PM
Wonder how she find my new hidey-hole???

Ah well, I better tuck her in, and go sleep in the recliner.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 09:08 PM
Nope. I'm winning. smokin

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 08:20 PM

I'm late coming into the thread, and still at work....so forgive me for not having read the other posts yet.

Personally, I like a woman who takes initiative. I've said as much several times in these forums.

I don't like games or guesswork. So having a woman chase me or make her interest very clear is flattering at the very least. I may not be as interested in her as she is in me. Or maybe I had the impression that I wasn't her type. But if she approaches me first, it helps me to clear up any misunderstandings. It also makes me inclined to give her a chance to impress me, a chance to gain my interest if she didn't have it before.

What I'm not comfortable with is being placed on a proverbial pedestal. It's happened to me before. I always felt awkward when it happened. I know what I am, and what I am not. So being put on a pedestal (in my mind) is a surefire letdown - eventually it will be apparent that I'm not all that was expected. Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who will try to live up to those unrealistic expectations, which only makes the letdown that much worse. Therefore, I shy away from anyone who treats me like that.

By pedestal, do you mean you don't like being treated like a king?

Games or guesswork isn't fun or nice, it's best to just come out and let the person know you like them. I agree!

No, not as king, per se. It's more idealistic than that. Making me out to be more perfect than I am. I am far far far from perfect, and I will cave under the pressure of such idolization.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 07:58 PM
I'm late coming into the thread, and still at work....so forgive me for not having read the other posts yet.

Personally, I like a woman who takes initiative. I've said as much several times in these forums.

I don't like games or guesswork. So having a woman chase me or make her interest very clear is flattering at the very least. I may not be as interested in her as she is in me. Or maybe I had the impression that I wasn't her type. But if she approaches me first, it helps me to clear up any misunderstandings. It also makes me inclined to give her a chance to impress me, a chance to gain my interest if she didn't have it before.

What I'm not comfortable with is being placed on a proverbial pedestal. It's happened to me before. I always felt awkward when it happened. I know what I am, and what I am not. So being put on a pedestal (in my mind) is a surefire letdown - eventually it will be apparent that I'm not all that was expected. Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who will try to live up to those unrealistic expectations, which only makes the letdown that much worse. Therefore, I shy away from anyone who treats me like that.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 07:45 PM
DA

What happened? I hope everything is okay. As a friend, you suddenly have me worried. But if you need to talk, I'm here for you.

actionlynx's photo
Mon 11/26/18 07:33 PM
Marcus Fortin Ovich

actionlynx's photo
Sun 11/25/18 09:32 PM
Opus