Community > Posts By > CM9999

CM9999's photo
Sun 10/02/22 02:28 AM
Edited by CM9999 on Sun 10/02/22 02:29 AM
It was either Putin ... or a Republican terrorist group financed by and acting at the behest of Trump. Come to think of it, they are pretty well one and the same thing.

CM9999's photo
Wed 09/28/22 12:00 PM
Somehow the quote and what I wrote have been interchanged. Sorry.

CM9999's photo
Wed 09/28/22 10:30 AM
I visited Georgia about 20 years ago. Russians are not well thought of there; they often command their dogs in Russian ... if you ask why, they will tell you that "only a dog would speak Russian"! Georgian humour is very sharp.
My perception is this ... those fleeing across the border generally seem to be those who can afford to do so, possibly those with better jobs, although that is just a supposition on my part. But even if it is only partly true, it will lead to skilled jobs not being filled, which will worsen the Russian economy still further.
And as more and more people leave Russia, and are finally free of their propagandist news and are able to see the real situation in Ukraine, they will phone their friends back home in Russia, and slowly the truth will come out...
... snd when THAT happens, that is when Putin will need to start looking over his shoulder.
I will stick my neck out and say that Putin will have been overthrown within two years at the most.

CM9999's photo
Wed 09/28/22 10:17 AM

Then, Georgia, there's a massive backup of border traffic trying to enter, an estimated 50 hour wait, with countless thousands already in.

CM9999's photo
Sun 09/18/22 05:48 AM
If it's any help:
The "capital E" that Merry referred to is in fact a Sigma character from the Greek alphabet. If you google "Sigma symbol" it will show you. Here it is: Σ
Best wishes!

CM9999's photo
Thu 04/01/21 03:34 AM
Several of you mention Pink Floyd ... I would put them WAY above Queen.

CM9999's photo
Sun 03/28/21 02:23 AM
Saw Roxy Music twice, both times as a guest. I had no great expectations of them, but they were absolutely superb. Phil Manzanera's guitar work was nothing short of exquisite.
Also saw Country Joe twice, once solo, once as Country Joe and The Fish (for those NOT of a certain age, they played at Woodstock!).
The surrealistic experience of sitting in a field in Oxfordshire, England, singing along "And it's one, two, three, what are we fighting for, don't ask me I don't give a damn, next stop is Viet Nam" probably will not be surpassed in my life!

CM9999's photo
Fri 02/26/21 10:42 AM
Another thing that seems to have become more prevalent recently is people whose profiles say that they are in the UK, so you message them, then when you get to talking it transpires that their profiles change to show that they are NOT in the UK!
And especially the ones that say they are in Africa. I block them immediately because that means they are scammers.
I wonder if there is a way that the people who run this site could at least "localise" peoples; location, maybe using the IP number of their login device?
Just a thought ...

CM9999's photo
Mon 11/30/20 03:18 PM
I suppose if both bands had a "magnum opus", for Queen it would be Bohemian Rhapsody, and for the Beatles it would be I am the Walrus.
I have never been able to stand "Rhapsody" - for me it is pretentious nonsense. On the other hand "I am the Walrus" is one of the most incredible songs ever produced. And if you like "Walrus", there is a Dutch band called The Analogues who play it live! You will find it on Youtube - it is quite magnificent!

CM9999's photo
Sat 11/21/20 09:41 PM

He's only speaking for himself. Boobs out are a good thing.
#Allboobsmatter

Only because it tells me that someone who is prepared to put their anatomy on display for men to drool over is NOT the kind of lady I am looking for ...

CM9999's photo
Sun 11/01/20 07:20 AM
Edited by CM9999 on Sun 11/01/20 07:21 AM
Another thing that is annoying is people who say they are from somewhere in the UK on their profile, then when you chat to them they say they are in Ghana. What's all THAT about?!?! Obviously scammers, but why "Ghana"?!?!

PS: I HATE pouty lips! They make me think of a rubber dinghy!

CM9999's photo
Sat 09/19/20 09:21 AM
My pet peeves (in no particular order):

1. People who demand that you go to some web site in order to chat to them; I block them immediately.
2. People who totally ignore what you write and just say that they want sex.
3. People who post fake pics. Nowadays I always check pictures on Google to see if they are just copied from the internet.
4. People who demand money. I always report them to the site admin as scammers.
5. people who cannot write proper English. The most common one is when they mean "you're" but write "your". As a writer myself, that really annoys me!
6. People who say they are in England on their profile, but when you get chatting it turns out that they are in the USA or Ghana or somewhere.
7. People whose entire profile consists of "No answer".

I think that just about covers it!

CM9999's photo
Mon 07/06/20 06:01 AM
My favourite "classic" movie has to be "Casablanca", because of what is maybe the most uplifting scene in any movie ever ... it is the scene where the Nazis start singing their Nazi songs in Rick's Cafe ... and are outsung by the rest of the bar singing The Marseillaise. Probably no scene in any other move better portrays the triumph of Good over Evil.

For a more modern movie, without doubt I would choose "Songcatcher". I won't say any more about it other than if you like Roots Music, this is for you!
PLEASE try to watch it!

CM9999's photo
Thu 03/19/20 04:00 AM
THANK YOU MINGLE!
Thanks for restoring the "old" format!
xxx

CM9999's photo
Wed 03/18/20 04:37 AM
I am sure that some will like the new format as it is similar to the "bubble" format used in some smartphone messaging applications.
But as someone who uses Mingle 100% on a laptop it is in my view a step backwards.
Having in the past written software to produce web pages automatically, it should be possible to allow users to choose between "old" and "new" formats.
Also, on the laptop, I think the font has been made even smaller than it used to be!
I can barely read it without a magnifying glass now!
These are meant to be constructive criticisms; could something be done, please?!

CM9999's photo
Mon 12/16/19 09:50 AM
Thank you! Will do that.

CM9999's photo
Mon 12/16/19 05:48 AM
Edited by CM9999 on Mon 12/16/19 05:49 AM
Thank you!
An interesting thought!
I think *most* of them are genuinely the same people ... I often remember their supposed locations, for example. And yes, scammers do that, as I have noticed.
I do suspect that the algorithm has changed though - my serach parameters are quite specific, and in the past I would occasionally get a message that there were "no more matches". And that has not happened for a long time!
Thanks for your reply though.

CM9999's photo
Mon 12/16/19 05:08 AM
Am I being stupid?
Is there something of which I am not aware?!
Can anyone tell me why, when I "Match" on Mingle2, I see the same collection of users every time? I probably see fewer than 40 profiles, and never any new ones! This has been going on for a month or so now.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

CM9999's photo
Sat 12/15/18 05:27 AM
That is a *lovely* story to hear.

But sadly, there is a certain "breed" of person on dating sites who use the "L-word" as a weapon to try and persuade you to give them money, cards etc.
Please beware of such people, and do not give in to them.

CM9999's photo
Thu 07/19/18 12:01 PM
If you click on a pic or a profile, you get "Application Error".
Windoze 7, accessing via Chrome