Community > Posts By > Eljay

Eljay's photo
Wed 08/26/09 01:12 PM

Wow. So we, as humans, don't know how radioactive isotopes decay. I'm thinking there's a whole lotta people in trouble. People who work in nuke power plants, people who rely on atomic clocks, many on much of our navel fleet, anyone getting cancer treatments via radiation, ect. ect.
Eljay, I don't really care where you got your info. With just a wee bit of thought, one can see that it's just wrong.

I didn't say we don't know how radioactive isotopes decay - so what's your point?

Read my post - I said there is no way to determine the amount of radioativity in the parent element. Whether it was created 6,000 or so years ago - or 4.5 billion - it is a pure educated quess as to what the decay ratin is without knowing how much radioactivity existed in the first place. And since the hslf life of these elements is measured in the billions of years - how can there even be any information on what was lost - since there would be no measurable change within the lifetime of any of the scientists who are calculating this data.

And all of the examples you have cited for radioactivity is done in closed - controlled environments, and is not analogous to the information used in radiometric dating. Really bad analogy. If you're trying to prove a point - at least start wih as point to prove.

Eljay's photo
Wed 08/26/09 07:33 AM

Alright Eljay, just where does your research come from?

Not a single example supporting all these evolutionary claims of "fact" - and you want to know where I got my information from?

As soon as I get my question's answered - I'll answer yours.

Okay. I have gotten my information from several books. The Selfish Gene, The Blinde Watchmaker (both by Dawkins) and The Red Queen, Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Ridly Scott. That ought to get you started. These books should all be easy to find in your local book store.

So these are your authorities - a media whore and a movie director?

That's like saying "I believe Scientology is the truth because L. Ron Hubbard said so."

Hawkins is a devote egotist, and thinks he's correct about everything, and does not need his "statements of fact" verified. I don't consider him an authority on evolution. I've seen him in action in debates. He makes a fool of himself.

Ridley Scott is entertaining as a film director - but I would not rely on his opinion to support my world view. Unless this is a different Ridley Scott you're talking about.

But - hey, if that's what you want to use to support your arguement - I'll do some research on movie directors and see what they have to say about the subject.

Sorry, my mistake. I ment Matt Ridly as the writer of The Red Queen.

Dawkins books were written back if the 70s. Long before he gained fame from his latest book The God Delusion. Even if he is a media whore that doesn't change the the facts in his books. How about if you actually go to the trouble if understanding what he wrote before you attempt to debunk it.

So, where does your information come from?

Dawkin's logic and proofs against God come from his logical fallacies of appealling to emotion - which has nothing to do with reality (from a stand point of proof) and everything to do with subjectivity. Perception may denote reality at times - but it is not a viable representation of the "truth". So while I will admit, Dawkins is quite elloquent, an excellant writer and story-teller, he is not a logician.

I got my information from researching Isometric dating, from studying chemistry and biology in my youth, and from a degree in logic. While I cannot rattle the names of the scientists who's analysis of dating methods I "plowed" through - if you were to google Isometric dating and read the definitions, and descriptions of the methods, you will see for yourself how it is determined which dating method is used for what, and how the information is determined. A little knowledge of chemistry will be enough to determine that there are just too many "presumed" assumptions, and a priori's that cannot be substanciated (like the original quantity of radioactive substance in the parent element) in order to assert that these "dates" bantied around - like the earth being 4.5 billion years old - have no support of fact, merely presumption, mathematical formulars based on unsupported premises, and a world view that, rather than support the presumptions - contradict them.

Eljay's photo
Tue 08/25/09 08:12 PM

Not a single example supporting all these evolutionary claims of "fact" - and you want to know where I got my information from?

Okay. I have gotten my information from several books. The Selfish Gene, The Blinde Watchmaker (both by Dawkins) and The Red Queen, Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Ridly Scott. That ought to get you started. These books should all be easy to find in your local book store.

So these are your authorities - a media whore and a movie director?

That's like saying "I believe Scientology is the truth because L. Ron Hubbard said so."

Hawkins is a devote egotist, and thinks he's correct about everything, and does not need his "statements of fact" verified. I don't consider him an authority on evolution. I've seen him in action in debates. He makes a fool of himself.

Ridley Scott is entertaining as a film director - but I would not rely on his opinion to support my world view. Unless this is a different Ridley Scott you're talking about.

But - hey, if that's what you want to use to support your arguement - I'll do some research on movie directors and see what they have to say about the subject.

Eljay's photo
Tue 08/25/09 04:30 PM

And no, Eljay. Since every single time I point out where you're wrong, you go off on the same old rant.
You wanna believe in your dogma. Fine. You wanna adjust(read that as change) or ignore the facts to fit your dogma. Fine. You wanna assmume that because you have faith everyone must also have it, fine.
Whatever floats your boat.
But, as I said, we're done here. You're no longer arguing science. You're arguing philosophy.
(wait wait....I can almost hear it....I know you are, but what am I?)
In any case, I don't wanna do that. Here.

Y'know Eljay, you CAN believe in your god thing and believe in evolution all at the same time. Lots of people do it.

I ask for an example of these "facts" - and you point out I'm wrong. For asking. Yup - whatever you say, I'm convinced.

Eljay's photo
Tue 08/25/09 04:28 PM

umm...if I had to guess, I'd say out his....umm...NEVERMIND

rofl rofl rofl rofl

And that's what you are - a guesser. All your "facts" - guesses.

Eljay's photo
Tue 08/25/09 04:27 PM

Eljay's photo
Tue 08/25/09 04:24 PM

A closer look at History would reveal that without religion, we wouldn't have modern medicine, schools, nor most of the sciece e have today.

Those who say what you've said above demonstrate a true ignorance themselves.

I beg to differ. I suggest that what you are referring to is actually false upon closer examination.

Whilst it's true that many of the great discoveries of science may have been done in religious a religious atmosphere it would actually be quite false to claim that religion was responsible for the work of those scientists.

For example, Gegor Mendel was actually a Christian Monk and did all of his work on genetics in a monestary. Yet, his work was totally dimissed by the Christian community of his time and wasn't rediscovered until about 30 years after he died.

Moreover, the only reason it might appear that religion was involved at all was because religion ruled as an integral part of the government.

But clearly religion was not promoting science. On the contary just look what they did to people lik Copernicus, Galileo, and even Isaac Newtown was truly supressed in many ways and had to do all his 'alchemy experiements' in secret. To hide them from the religious authorities.

So to claim that religion was helpful in any of this is utter nonsense, IMHO.

Even to this very day religion denounces evolution, and stem cell research.

Let's get real here?

I'm mean, I'm only voicing my opinion here, but I think if anyone takes a serious look at history with an open mind they'll have to see the truth of this.

Just look at what happened at the library of Alexanderia in the name of Christiantity.

Horrible stuff.

I hold that we would have been far better off without religion just like the graph shows that I posted previouisly.

Abra;
As with most - if not all of the threads here - the arguments fall short due to the wide interpretation of semantics. The poster says "religion", and you interpret that as Christianity. I see "Evolution" in that general term, and in doing so - I can agree with all you say. Most of the greatest inventions/discoveries pre-20th century were certainly effected by religion, as were just about all things. Without Christainity - who discovers America? Who can say. We just don't know - but what we do know - is that America was discovered by Columbus - who's purpose was to spread Christianity throughout the world. Penicillian was discovered by a devout Christian believer - but does that represent religion? Hardly.

The original post is impossible to "argue" based on any relevant data, as the term "religion" has a different meaning for everyone who posts here.

So - I'll leave it at that. There's just no way to determine if there's a right or wrong here.

Actually, the spice trade was the biggest factor in "discovering" America. If Columbus hadn't done it, someone else would've. There was a big push to find a cheaper way to the Far East. "Spreading Christianity", as you say, was more of an excuse, than a cause.

Yeah - we could "what if" this thread to oblivion. Hard to admit that it was Columbus though, and his intent was to spread Christianity. I hope you're not losing sleep over this.

Eljay's photo
Mon 08/24/09 01:43 PM

A closer look at History would reveal that without religion, we wouldn't have modern medicine, schools, nor most of the sciece e have today.

I beg to differ. I suggest that what you are referring to is actually false upon closer examination.

Whilst it's true that many of the great discoveries of science may have been done in religious a religious atmosphere it would actually be quite false to claim that religion was responsible for the work of those scientists.

For example, Gegor Mendel was actually a Christian Monk and did all of his work on genetics in a monestary. Yet, his work was totally dimissed by the Christian community of his time and wasn't rediscovered until about 30 years after he died.

Moreover, the only reason it might appear that religion was involved at all was because religion ruled as an integral part of the government.

But clearly religion was not promoting science. On the contary just look what they did to people lik Copernicus, Galileo, and even Isaac Newtown was truly supressed in many ways and had to do all his 'alchemy experiements' in secret. To hide them from the religious authorities.

So to claim that religion was helpful in any of this is utter nonsense, IMHO.

Even to this very day religion denounces evolution, and stem cell research.

Let's get real here?

I'm mean, I'm only voicing my opinion here, but I think if anyone takes a serious look at history with an open mind they'll have to see the truth of this.

Just look at what happened at the library of Alexanderia in the name of Christiantity.

Horrible stuff.

I hold that we would have been far better off without religion just like the graph shows that I posted previouisly.

Abra;
As with most - if not all of the threads here - the arguments fall short due to the wide interpretation of semantics. The poster says "religion", and you interpret that as Christianity. I see "Evolution" in that general term, and in doing so - I can agree with all you say. Most of the greatest inventions/discoveries pre-20th century were certainly effected by religion, as were just about all things. Without Christainity - who discovers America? Who can say. We just don't know - but what we do know - is that America was discovered by Columbus - who's purpose was to spread Christianity throughout the world. Penicillian was discovered by a devout Christian believer - but does that represent religion? Hardly.

The original post is impossible to "argue" based on any relevant data, as the term "religion" has a different meaning for everyone who posts here.

So - I'll leave it at that. There's just no way to determine if there's a right or wrong here.

Eljay's photo
Mon 08/24/09 01:28 PM

Experiments have been done that prove "life" can come from an organic soup. Put the elements thought to be on the Earth before life in a sealed container. Add energy like electricity. And presto, you get self-replicating organic molecules. Tends to turn the inside purple.
This experiment has been done dozens of times. Works everytime. Now, we've never had something crawl out, but we've never let the experiment run for a few billion years either.
However, we have seen through this experiment, that over time, the molecules become more complex (information is added).
To say "abiogenisis", as Eljay has defined it, hasn't been proved, is simply untrue.

How can utting anything in a sealed container demonstrate the way life began in the environment it exists in.

You call this "proof" - do you think we're all idiots?

You can do better than this - really, can't you? Or are you just willing to believe anyone or anything that supports your world view, despite the total unacceptability of the premises presented.

well...I don't think EVERYONE is an idiot...laugh

oh....I'm sorry. That was too easy.
So....if self-replicating molecules can be made of some pretty basic elements, your counter was what exactly? happy

Quite easy. First off - your "self-replicating molecules" from your example were "discovered" - (as opposed to made) from materials believed to be on Earth before life. Hmmm... that's a stretch right there. Looks like a premise built on sand to me. Also - before this is accepted as "fact" - I wait for that time-travelor to return with verification.

Any high school math student would get that right.

Yeah....riiiight. Sorta like "discovering" a poop in the toilet you were sitting on.
I don't know what to tel ya, Eljay. You deny that humans know for a certainty the decay rate of radiactive isotopes and other well accepted methods of dating. You deny the well accepted facts that genetics shows how information is added all the time. I was pretty sure that Downsydrome was well known enough to show that. You refuse to allow yourself to even understand or acknowledge that self-replicating molecules can be MADE, artificially, in a lab, with some pretty basic elements.
I don't know what else to tell ya. I've poked holes in all your pet beliefs. If you still want to keep believing, well jolly well good for you.

Unless you've got some OTHER silly unscientific nonsense you'd like me to poke holes in, I think we're done here. Don't you?

In my research I've discovered these facts - although t is pretty obvious they are not well known.

Dating methods are acurate only within their assumed premises. A priori's to dating methods are: Uniformitarianism (Much like Judeo/Christianity is the a priori to Creationism), somethnig which science itself disproves, and the assumption that the amount of radioactive material in the parent element can be known. Scientists ADMITTEDLY claim that it cannot.

Okey - so much for the claim of accuracy of the dating methods. And since scientists themselves refute their own method of carbon-14 dating for these "ancient" fossils - due to the dates always (note - always) contradict their assumptions.

There are zero studies. Here, let me repeat that ZERO studies verifying that information is gained in a DNA genome. What is well documented and accepted as fact, is that every exeperiment attempting to show that information can be gained in DNA has demonstrated it has not. Were evolution true - with the advances of modern sciene - there should be thousands, if not millions of examples of iformation being added to DNA - else how does an Evolutionist get from an amoeba to man?

Poking holes in my pet belif - I'm dodging the canyons in yours. We haven't spent any time discussing my beliefs. We're focused right now on what I DON'T believe, and that is your claim of truth and facts. I don't see much in the way of facts, and your truth's are subjective - don't claim them as proven or otherwise, they exist for you as a matter of faith.

Eljay's photo
Sun 08/23/09 09:01 PM

Experiments have been done that prove "life" can come from an organic soup. Put the elements thought to be on the Earth before life in a sealed container. Add energy like electricity. And presto, you get self-replicating organic molecules. Tends to turn the inside purple.
This experiment has been done dozens of times. Works everytime. Now, we've never had something crawl out, but we've never let the experiment run for a few billion years either.
However, we have seen through this experiment, that over time, the molecules become more complex (information is added).
To say "abiogenisis", as Eljay has defined it, hasn't been proved, is simply untrue.

How can utting anything in a sealed container demonstrate the way life began in the environment it exists in.

You can do better than this - really, can't you? Or are you just willing to believe anyone or anything that supports your world view, despite the total unacceptability of the premises presented.

well...I don't think EVERYONE is an idiot...laugh

oh....I'm sorry. That was too easy.
So....if self-replicating molecules can be made of some pretty basic elements, your counter was what exactly? happy

Quite easy. First off - your "self-replicating molecules" from your example were "discovered" - (as opposed to made) from materials believed to be on Earth before life. Hmmm... that's a stretch right there. Looks like a premise built on sand to me. Also - before this is accepted as "fact" - I wait for that time-travelor to return with verification.

Any high school math student would get that right.

Eljay's photo
Sun 08/23/09 08:24 PM

Would we be technologically ahead or behind if religion did or didn't existed.

Some say that religion is the reason why we aren't landing people on Mars yet. Other says we would already have discovered warp drive and flew to other galaxies by now already.

Some say we would still live like cave men if religion wasn't a part of our lives.

What do you believe to be true?

Eljay's photo
Sun 08/23/09 11:26 AM

I would like to propose that we, atheists and agnostics, non-believers and heathens, stay away from the General Religion Chat forum.

This I say because it must be bugging the Religionists that we infiltrate their site, and they have to spend their energies arguing with us. Maybe most of them do not like and do not enjoy that. Maybe the Religionists would like to have a peaceful and quiet place to discuss their issues that only they understand and enjoy discussing.

While I am not trying to make it into a segregational site by philosophy, I admit that I don't want Jehova's Witnesses in my home, or biker groups, or Raquel Welsh begging me to extend my sexual favours to her.

I am trying to say that any person, family, community and nation should have its own internal management left up to that unit. Furthermore, that each unit of community, from person to nation, should have a sanctuary where they can rest and feel relaxed. If we, the non-religious and the non-believers keep coming here and keep attacking the discussions of the Religionists, while it cannot be legally stopped, I think we should stop doing that anyway, if not for anything but for doing the proper thing that our respective mothers old us: Behave, my son/daugher, don't bully, don't smell bad, don't push the other kids down, don't bite the bloodhound protecting the kindergarterbelt, etc.

Maybe those who know how to talk to the organizer should ask him/her/them to open a third forum in this religion/atheism section, I don't to be called what, where two camps, the non-blievers and the theists, can meet and compare their own strength in debate to that in the other camp.

In other words, I realized I was rude in coming here and causing havoc. I hope never to do that again, because it is not fair to the spirit of "safe haven" that I believe this forum is supposed to be for theists and the religious and the believers.

And we should let these people in peace even if they decry in their discussions things that are close to our, atheists', hearts, such as evolution, or anything else.

Leave the religionists and theists and believers in peace, I implore and beseech the atheists.

But this is the section for Atheists and non-believers. Because those are misnomers to begin with. Just terms to redefine believing in oneself as a religion.

So - come in here and say whatever you like.

Eljay's photo
Sun 08/23/09 11:11 AM
Edited by Eljay on Sun 08/23/09 11:12 AM

Goog said:

I am sorry, I cannot help you in finding the definition, beyond the extent of my saying why I can or can't accept any instances of it as you come up with them. I thought we'd divvied up the job: You state the definition, I state the argument that Evolution is based on facts, you attempt proving my argument wrong, I prove why your counter-argument is wrong. I hope you can agree to this road plan.

Eljay said:

So then give me a definition of "fact" that I can live with, and then demonstrate how it supports evolution. And from this point on, there's no need to introduce the concept of God or creation. I've already given in to the opint that Creationism is not supported by "fact" as I've stated it. Judeo/Christianity is a faith based concept. A philosophical theory - not a scientific one.

You just quoted me where I said I can't help you find a definition. Right away you ask me to find a definition.

That's your job, not mine, to find a definition for the word "fact" that we can both live with.

We'll pick up and continue when you've done that successfully.

Thanks.

I gave you one. Refute it if your unsatisfied - else just admit you're not prepared to continue the discussion, and conceed your defeat to being able to show Evolution is a fact.

Eljay's photo
Sun 08/23/09 11:09 AM

Someone keeps asking for an example where DNA information is added.
I have one. One that we can all agree is true, verfiable, and w/o question.
Victims of Downsydrome. Downsydrome is where the DNA incorrectly replicates and adds a chromosome. Adds a chromosome, as in adds information. Granted, this additional information spells genetic garbage, but it IS added information, nonetheless.
Since mutations are random, one would expect most of them to be harmful. However, if one conceeds that mutations do indeed add information, one must conclude that occasionally, given enough time, this information added by a mutation would be helpful to the species. And given enough mutations, you have a different species.

I'll take that Nobel Prize now. No, wait, they don't give those for stating the well known....oh well.

And where is the documentation for this? Or should I just take your word for it?

Eljay's photo
Sun 08/23/09 11:08 AM

Also, there are many ways to date fossils to a high precision. Anyone who denies this is simply denying the facts.

Do you know anything about dating methods? Precision isn't even considered part of the equasion. In order to have precision - one needs verification. Impossible to do when dating fossils. If you aren't aware of that, you need to do a little more research.

Eljay's photo
Sun 08/23/09 11:06 AM

Eljay's photo
Fri 08/21/09 11:27 PM
Edited by Eljay on Fri 08/21/09 11:27 PM

Eljay, I hoped so much that you would give me a working definition of fact that I could accept.

I would love to accept your definition as stated in the first paragraph of attempts. But it has huge problems. To you it's generally known to be true that God created the world, whereas for me it is generally known to be true that God did not create the world. Which "general" knowledge is superior to the other? Neither. This part is useless, therefore.

I could go for the part that it is not absolutely necessary to have empirical evidence to support a claim that something is a fact. You could keep your God, I could keep my evolution, without any further arguments, or despite any amount of further arguments. Again, no tie-breaker there.

Actual existence, not a supposition, not a belief -- careful, you're denying your righ to believe in God.

That's paragraph 1.

But this does not deny my right to believe in God - because I don't extend the criteria of needing "facts" to justify His existance, nor his claim of being the Creator (done so throuh inspiration). I'm not claiming that the existance of God is "fact". I'm more interested in your having facts that He does not exist. Or is that merely a belief on your part? I don't deny you your beliefs - those come from life expereince, study and observation, and your personal grasp of logic. But the matter we're discussing here is "fact".

Do either of us have "facts" to support our beliefs which do not stem from subjective observations and interpretation of our world view? I don't claim to have any. Do you?

Paragraph 2:

"True for all people for all times" -- again, no tie breaker. Evolution certainly is true for all people at all times, it affects us all -- and in your books God functions much the same way. Worse, we both deny the other's right to claim the named particular truths here.

"Now - it should be noted here that the issue is of Abiogenesis, Uniformitarianism, and premises without empirical evidence to support it - not whether or not organisms mutate." -- this excerpt makes no sense to me, it uses words I don't understand, and it restricts the definition of "fact" to a specific area of thought, it goes away from a generality in the definition. I am not sure what you are saying there, and if you like, you can explain the meanings of the words Abiogenesis andUniformitarianism, in easy, laymen's terms, but it seems that you are forbiddig me to come up with ideas and facts related and integral to DNA and evolution, since the "issue" is Abiogenesis and Uniformitarianism, as you claim here, but which are clearly not the issues. You diminish, without any further ado, my reliance on mutation, which is nothing but a forceful, forced and entriely unfair and illogically conceived castration of my ideology. As an illustrative example, and nothing more, to accent what I object to, and without intending to bring this into the topic: With the same token I could tell you that you could argue for the existence of the Holy Trinity but the issue is the numerical possiblity, and please don't bring the ideas of Jesus or the Holy Spirit into the picture. You see that would be unfair and unjust to place that restriction on an argument for them. It's like bindig one arm of a fighter to his back and not his opponent's. By trying to trick me into staying away from using mutation in the arguments, you cut off the penis of my arguments, and it is an unfair and ucalled-for request. Why should I not talk about mutation? That is a preposterous claim on your part when you challenge someone to prove to you that Evolution is based on facts.

Please do not muddle the issues. Stay with the topic, I ask you, which at the moment is trying to find a definition for what constitutes a "fact".

End of your paragraph two.

Abiogenesis is the idea that life began from the primortial "ooze". That lifeless material somehow became life. This is an "a priori" of evolutionary theory. (a postulate - if you will, as there is no evidence of it, and it has not, and likely will not be recreated in a laboratory) Think of it as the "genesis 1" of evolutionary theory. Though there are a number of evolutionists who do not adhere to this premise, but actually state no claim about the origin of life - just that it didn't involve a "Creator" - known to most as "God".

Uniformitarianism is the theory that the same geological process that occured in the past - occurs today. Thus, by interpreting occurances in the present - the observations can be extrapolated into the past as having occured this way - and this can be accepted as fact.

And of course - empirical evidence is simply catogorising something by observing it, rather than drawing conclusions by establishing a theory on it. Isometric dating would be an example of non-empirical evidence, as it relies solely on a theoretical occurance based upon the uniformitarianistic observations of radioactive decay in elements observed in the present.

so - the point being, that if you are refering to evolutionary theory as the mere observation of daughter organisms mutating into something that is different from the parent organism, then we have a different understanding of what evolutionary theory is, and are not in disagreement. I don't deny that organisms "evolve" - as it were. Although, I am waiting for the evidence that this "evolving" involves the adding of information to DNA - to me - a prerequisite to support the Darwinian concept of the "tree of species evolution".
Simply put - the justification of the claim that man and Apes share the same ancestor. To date - there is no evidence of any information being added to any DNA in any genome that has been, or is being studied. This is the "brass ring" on the carousel of evolutionary biologists throughout the world - for whoever can demonstrate that this can occur in a laboratory, will have a Nobel Prize with their name on it, and will grace the cover of every magazine in the world - not to mention Time magazines "person of the millenium".

I am sorry, I cannot help you in finding the definition, beyond the extent of my saying why I can or can't accept any instances of it as you come up with them. I thought we'd divvied up the job: You state the definition, I state the argument that Evolution is based on facts, you attempt proving my argument wrong, I prove why your counter-argument is wrong. I hope you can agree to this road plan.

So then give me a definition of "fact" that I can live with, and then demonstrate how it supports evolution. And from this point on, there's no need to introduce the concept of God or creation. I've already given in to the opint that Creationism is not supported by "fact" as I've stated it. Judeo/Christianity is a faith based concept. A philosophical theory - not a scientific one.

However - I contest that Evolution is nothing more than a faith based philosophy as well, as there is nothing about it which can be demonstrated scientifically - so it isn't science, and it has at is base core - Uniformitarianism - which can be demonstrated as false through simple scientific demonstration. As with Christainisty and Creationism - belief in evolutin is based solely on faith in the subjective interpretation of one's world view, and how it relates to what is being observed.

A classic example of this are fossils. They exist - we both can agree on this as fact. But how they originated, and how old they are... immpossible to prove by either theory. It all depends on what one's world view is; what they are willing to believe.

Eljay's photo
Fri 08/21/09 12:30 PM

I would like you to tell me first what it is that you consider a fact. Not an instance of it, but a general definition.

Generally speaking - a fact is something that is known to be true.
The truth or actual existance of something, as opposed to the supposition of something, or a belief about something. Ideally - there should be empirical evidence to support a claim, but this may not necessarily be the case for something to still be a fact.

I'm not going to give you facts for you to reply that those are not facts. If you can say that it's evolution that's holding up DNA research then you can say anything and I can't hold you to it.

This statement of mine is purely subjective. I don't claim it as fact, and, as a fact - I have never claimed it as fact. It's just an opinion. While this claim may be true, I have no evidence to support it - other than the experience I have of the claims of "third parties". And any "evidence" of this nature is unacceptable as a premise toward claiming "fact".

Please define "fact", as it applies to all facts, and then I'll see what I can do for you. I would like you to give it your best, and if I say something that corresponds to all aspects of what you say is a type of thing that is a fact, AND it has to do with DNA research and linking it to evolution, will you surrender in the debate? Will you agree that evolution is a valid theory?

A "fact" is something that should hold true for all people at all times, (for the sake of this discussion), and should not rely on a consensus of popular opinion. If there is a fact within DNA research and evolution that fits this criteria - I would then consider the validity of Evolutionary theory. Now - it should be noted here that the issue is of Abiogenesis, Uniformitarianism, and premises without empirical evidence to support it - not whether or not organisms mutate.

If you can give me a general definition of "fact" and if you promise NOW to admit to defeat in the debate in the case that I use your definition of "fact" and apply it to the evolutionary model successfully, then I'll try. Otherwise it's words words words.

Let's go for a real challenge here.

Well - here's a start. If you would like to amend or qualify my "definition" of fact then do so, but I agree - lets agree on the semantics first - then let's examine evolution as it holds up to "fact" or "faith-based". I look forward to it.

Eljay's photo
Thu 08/20/09 12:58 AM

You are presuming that Darwinian theory is supported by DNA. Nothing could be further from the truth. In actuality - it is Darwinian theory which is keeping DNA science from advancing. It's rediculous how much money is wasted pursuing Darwinian theory with zero success in the results. Billions of dollars. Yet, everyone screams because there isn't enough being done to radicate the diseases running amok. And those screaming the loudest are the ones who support the massive waste of resources used to the research and chasing of fairytales.

Halleluyah!!! You have proved, without a shred of doubt, that arguing CAN be done with absoulutely no regards to facts, to knowledge, to logic, even to spelling.

I have no problem with the spelling - it's my typing that's atrocious. Speaking of "facts" - found any yet? I asked you for - well, just one. You're having a hard time coming up with it though.
Who's got the problem with facts and knowledge - eh Einstein?

This is the greatest breakthrough in philosophical conventions since Plato's "Republic", in which the "Socratic method" was shown as it developed. Your way of putting down words is a new paradigm of Biblical proportions. Well done, lad.

Lad?... okey docky junior. Please - enlighten me with some "facts".
Since your presuming that I'm unaware, could you condescend to share some of your vast knowledge with us less informed "lads". Oh please oh please, Sir - can you share your wisdom of the ages with us.

Eljay's photo
Tue 08/18/09 08:39 PM

This discussion isn't about you. The question is can evolution and the bible coexist? It is my opinion that they cannot. Let's stick to the point shall we?

Hallelujah! Finally I am learning what this topic is discussing.

The answer is easy, YES. The Bible certainly exists; and evolution is certainly here. The entire DNA-related research supports Darwin's evolutionary theory; a whopping thirty-two percent of all biochemical research in the USA is doing DNA probing. Some say almost all future drugs will be directly related to findings in DNA research which means that evolution, though not proven (to whom? To three-year-old deaf-and-mute-and-blind autistic retards?), is certainly changing the way of life of every American family (more correctly, of those American families that produce offspring.)

Drug research, by the way, is only one of the many endeavours in which we use Darwin's theory. We use it in forensic science, in police work, in the courts; we use it in biology, in anthropology, in historical research, in dentistry, in warfare, in agriculture, in zoology, in mathematics, in chemistry, in literature, in forums on the Internet, in recreation (such as when playing Trivial Pursuit), in sports (whow), in motorcycle maintenance. Okay, I grant it, we don't use it in motorcycle maintenance. It's so only because that uses Zen, and no self-respecting upright and honourable religion will use Darwin's Evolutionary Theory for anything but to wipe its feet on.

The existence of evolution as theorized by Darwin and proved in so many different ways, the most convincing to date being DNA research, is not in any way a contradiction to the Bible's existence. Yes, the Bible exists!! In many copies. Some say it't the absolute best-seller of all books of all times. If someone denied the existence of the Bible, that person would be no better than a three-year-old deaf-and-mute-and-blind autistic retard.

You are presuming that Darwinian theory is supported by DNA. Nothing could be further from the truth. In actuality - it is Darwinian theory which is keeping DNA science from advancing. It's rediculous how much money is wasted pursuing Darwinian theory with zero success in the results. Billions of dollars. Yet, everyone screams because there isn't enough being done to radicate the diseases running amok. And those screaming the loudest are the ones who support the massive waste of resources used to the research and chasing of fairytales.

1 2 3 4 6 8 9 10 24 25