Community > Posts By > Eljay

Eljay's photo
Wed 01/27/10 02:55 PM

i just recently moved to n.h from south boston whats there to do up here ??

Well - you can drive down to Boston and see the town.

Where in N.H. are you?

Eljay's photo
Wed 01/27/10 01:14 AM

yes and this can go on for hours. Only person that would win on this note would be the one that can read the original writings of the bible and not depending on translations.

Cowboy...are you also claiming that what written or translated in the bible is inaccurate? ....where have your faith gone my child

No, and another thing poppped into my mind. Just like in todays world, for most people money is God for them. So that would be the same as those people in the time Jesus came to earth. The gods they were worshipping were "THEIR" gods. Does not meen they were true Gods. Cause i know money isn't truely a god but it is God to most people in this world these days.

Cowboy...for anyone that doesn't live in the forest eating fruits and berries among the woodlen creatures then money is God

lol how nieve can you be funches? Money is not God. Money is the root of all evil. All evil actions have some form or way to do with money.

Actually - money is not the root of all evil. The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

BIG difference.

Eljay's photo
Wed 01/27/10 12:41 AM

It is a tragedy what happens to people during natural disasters, but they are a part of the earths process and not an inherent evil. When people survive these types of disasters, it is not unreasonable for them to feel blessed or that God answered their plea for help somehow. I dont think God intervenes in the earths natural cycles, but I do believe he answers prayers and HELPS those who seek his help. It helps for me, personally, to not see death as a terrible thing but as another way God also calls his children to a better place. Some of his children who have not completed their purpose are made to remain here until they do and others are taken when their purpose is done.

That is just my outlook though,,I know everyone views death differently.

oh that is so silly and illogical. Helps those that seek his help? Really? Are you really claiming that? So, all those other people that died from that tradgedy--are you now claiming that not 1 of them sought his help? And noone else sought his help for them?

Why can't religious people see the absolute absurdity of claiming that "God answers prayers and HELPS those that seek his help"??

I dont think you are reading my ENTIRE post. I also said I see death as God calling people home who have served their earthly purpose. Those who died, obviously served their purpose, which is a blessed thing although in the flesh it seems awful. The earthquake served a purpose for the earth. And those whose time was not up were spared to give Glory to God another day. It is not absurd at all, as I explained before, how can one get assistance that they refuse to apply for..it just doesnt work that way.

I read your entire post. I also elected to ignore the logic circle you spun.
I will address it now.
So, you contend that God answers prayers for help to stay alive. You also believe that God kills or allows to be killed those He wishes to call home, even if that home ends up being in Hell.
This, of course makes no sense.
What if someone prays for help to stay alive AND God calls that person home? Answer: The prayer is unanswered. And God is a liar about prayer.
What if someone doesn't pray for help to stay alive and God doesn't call them home? Answer: Prayer is unneccesary. And God is a liar about prayer.
What if someone prays for help to stay alive and they do stay alive?
Answer: could be God's doing OR could be random chance or any of a number of other factors.
What if someone doesn't pray for help and dies? Answer: could be God's doing OR could be random chance or any of a number of other factors.

It doesn't look all that good for God and efficacy of prayer.

Oh and in the case of God calling home people he plans on sending to Hell, that pretty much makes him an sob, doesn't it?

As to your post - you are completely wrong about 2 things.

First - God answers all prayer. However - the answer isn't always - "Yes, I'll do that."

Second - God doesn't "send" anyone to hell - He just grants the wish of those who have chosen to reject Him - thus allowing them to spend eternity without Him in their presence. This "state of being" has a name - it's called Hell. Occupancy by choice - not decree.

Other than missing these two obvious points - your post is right on.

Oh - wait. You only made two points.

Hmmm.....

Eljay's photo
Wed 01/27/10 12:17 AM

Pat Robertson - Remarks regarding Haiti earthquake & people.huh

Pat Robertson recent remarks about Haiti have caused some controversy.
What do you think about what was said?

according to the belief it is God that cause all natural disasters and it is up to the believers to spin it as being a good thing in order to justify why God would kill a massive amount of innocent people .. ....

the only way to do that is to somehow take away their innocence so that the victims can be blamed instead of God ..

so by claiming that Haiti made a pact with the Devil it would explain and justify why God used the holy spirit to cause the Earthquake as being a blessing...as being a good reason why God comdemn these people to die

I hate to dillute your argument Funches, but if I'm not mistaken, doesn't God condemn EVERYONE to die? Or - is it actually a choice that every human makes? Granted - unwillingly - but non-the-less, man's pride and ego cannot prevent him from chosing death. Something - which often goes unmentioned - he has no control over.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/26/10 06:59 PM

His religion is one of the things I held against Obama but he was still a better choice than McCain.

How so?

Because he won the Nobel peace prize for - what was it - something he MIGHT do?

Religion or believing in one can be a bad mark against someone in power. Because they will make choices based on the philosophy of the religion making them possibly very dangerous.

But that goes to the incapabability of an individual to make sound judgements - not to the core of religious philosophy. If I have a corrupt leader using religion to support a subverted agenda, and I mix that with someone devoid of sound discernmet of what is right or wrong - the issue is not one of religion - but of human nature.

Considering that religion encourages divisiveness, superiority, hypocrisy, I will disagree that it is just a human nature problem. Religion encourages wishing bad on humans who do not believe as you do. Religion encourages less self responsibility. To name a few of the issues with religion. Then add a position of power to all of those issues that religion has and you are asking for trouble.

Until the religious can realize they are the same as all other people in the world regardless to belief with no special priviledges with god and no special treatment when they die and no superior morality or superior judgements, they should not be trusted in places of power.

I've been a member of a religion most of my entire life - and I haven't experienced any of what you "claim" reliigon is responsible for. What are you basing your statements on? What experience do you have with religion? What are some examples that you can site where a religion is to blame - and not an individual or group of individual's interpretation of a religious philosophy is not to blame. The only example I can think of is Satanism and some forms of Witchcraft or Paganism where what you claim is more a part of the religious philosophy than the individuals who are interpreting it.

And I know of no religion with a special priviledge with God. As a matter of fact - it is religion which keeps one from God more often than not.

Obviously you are blinded by your own beliefs to see what I am talking about because the examples you gave are not even slightly on target.

I was raised both Catholic and Baptist and have been around religious folks all my life. So I am speaking from personal observation. I have seen religion take a logical person and turn them into an illogical "righteous" mess. I have seen the damage religion has on children. I have seen personally people who feel "justified" and "righteous" that those who do not believe as them are deserving of bad things to happen to them.

Every religion teaches divisiveness, superiority and hypocrisy. I have studied different religions and it is the same with most of them. The major religions definitely do this. All of Christianity does it.

All of the concepts in most religion contort logical thought and create a twisted sense of reality. So a person in power with this twist is not necessarily the best to make important decisions.

I'm not blinded by my own beliefs - I just don't see the same thing you do through the clouded specticles you see life with.

First off - we are not in disagreement about what goes on in the world - i see the same things you do as far as people doing injustices to themselves, and teaching children to do the same - but I don't see where the blame is on "religion" - and not the people intelligent enough to understand what it is they think they believe.

Your caim that every religion teaches divisiveness, superiority and hypocracy is blatenly false. Period. not only is this not true - i say that you cannot name one religion outside of Satanism that can support this claim of yours. Certainly not christianity. And if that's your claim - I attest that you don't know what christianity is.

Now - I'm not going to sit here and admit that there are not religions in this world who's philosophy is not inherantly damaging and dangerous. I would never make that claim. In fact - for the most part, I would tend to agree with the OP about his initial intent behind the firdt post. But for radically different reasons. I've seen all the damage that has been done since the religion of "Evolution" has been introduced into the main stream, and our children forced to accept it as truth. There has been no other religion throughout time that hs done more damage to the human race than that of evolution. From it we have the autrocities of Hitler and Stalin - euthanasia - abortion, all born out of the philosophies of Evolution.

But my sense is - that this is not the aspects of religion that you'd agree with me on as far as it's destructive influence. Why?

Because you are blinded by your own beliefs.

So who's the blind one here? Who see's only what they want to see?

Obviously you.

You have missed on all of your examples still about the teachings of christianity.

I cannot help you because of your blinders. You will continue to believe what you do, be it right or wrong.

Most religions teach divisiveness, superiority and hypocrisy, there is not way around it and individuality doesn't change it. If you follow the religion you will incorporate divisiveness, superiority and hypocrisy in your beliefs, projections and judgements.

So - are you going to answer my question and name a religion that supports your claim? Or are you merely prefering not to contaminate your opinion with facts.

I'll answer that question for Dragoness since she isn't here right now. I'm not concerned with contamination...

Any religion that teaches children that their religion is the only true one and all others are false.
Any religion that teaches children their version of what a "sinner" is.
Any religion that condemns another's lifestyle choices.
Any religion that teaches children those who do certain things will surly go to hell.
Any religion that uses fear and of eternal damnation to keep their congregation in check.
Any religion that uses guilt as a means to keep their congregation in check.
Any religion that teaches it is their responsibility to preach the word and save others.

That would be a few things..there are more and I could absolutely name specific religions that do that. I wouldn't want to offend anyone by mentioning their specific religion. And it could possibly be a mingle rule breaker..

You bring up a lot of interesting points - however, they have nothing to do with the question that I asked Dragoness - AND you did not name a single religion - just attributes of something that you "perceive" exits. I contest that there isn't a religion that fullfills all of your premises, and since you didn't cite one - I doubt you can as well.

So - I'll just wait and see if Dragoness can support her own statement - since you did a lousy job of it. Thanx for trying though.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/26/10 06:51 PM
Edited by Eljay on Tue 01/26/10 06:52 PM

I dont believe religion is the basis for why we cant live peacefully, if I am wrong point me to the nearest utopian atheist community....

People , by nature, will divide and survive and oppress, with or without religion.

Show me the atheists of war and division?

They are mixed in with everyone else, just like those of peace are, because people are flawed, with or without religion.

If you look through history there are no atheists of war.

So your logic doesn't stand the test of truth.

My logic is more like common sense actually, Far too many people since the beginning of time have been atheists for me to believe NONE of them encouraged or supported war.

Most wars are fought over property and power, not things that only the religious are guilty of wanting.

I know you cannot find the atheists because most of them were not part of creating the reason for war.

What do you think religion is???

Power.

You cannot dispute it. Not legitimately anyway,

funny, can you please enlighten us with some ways Christianity in general has anything to do with gaining power for ones self?

I you use the brain your god gave you you will see it.

Interesting way of saying "Gee, I don't know".

Eljay's photo
Mon 01/25/10 01:43 AM

This is not Christ like, and I am sorry these are the types of experiences you have had. In trying to follow the example of Christ, I do not feel superior to anyone, I feel we all sin and that is mostly what I get the most flack about. I never say that I am better than anyone because I dont believe I am. I do aknowledge wrong from right though, regardless of if I am the transgressor or someone else,, and I get flack for that as well.

Actually it is Christ like because it is the practice of Christians.

Christianity cannot teach equality because it teaches divisiveness ie "my religion is the one true and right religion", it teaches superiority ie "some humans will go to hell because of what they believe but it won't be me the great Christian", it teaches hypocrisy ie "I am not held responsible for my sins because I go to church on Sunday and get forgiven"

Until religions embrace all other religions and non religious as equal and deserving of heaven including all sexual orientations they will be discriminatory and not healthy for humans to follow.

This is flawed logic in my opinion.

First,Christ like means like Christ, of whom there was only one,, not like any and every one who claims to be christian.

I dont believe anyones RELIGION(religious title or affiliation) makes them any better or worse than anyone else. It is how we live our lives that will be judged by God , not what title we give ourself.

I also dont believe I know who will go to heaven or who will not, I was taught that only God knows or will decide. I do know the paths that Christ set out for us to follow and I choose that path hoping to reach the destination I seek.

I also have never not felt responsible for sin, forgiveness doesnt absolve one of responsibility and I was never taught this either.

I embrace religious beliefs, I dont embrace all actions and words anymore than a non religious person does. I dont think it would be healthy to have an everything is fine to do attitude(regardless of religious or non religious affiliation).

I do think there are paths to heaven and paths which dont lead to heaven, just as some paths will get me from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and others wont. If I am trying to get to Los Angeles, I just follow those paths,, it doesnt mean I feel better than those trying to get to Arizona, or those trying to get to Los Angeles by way of Indianapolis.

I just feel we all choose different paths and they dont all end up at the same destination.

You did not dispute any of what I stated on my post...lol

There is no way around the divisiveness, superiority and hypocrisy of the religion.

I am glad that you feel as though you are doing yourself a favor by believing it.

Humans are not better off because of religion. It hasn't done anything to help the human condition at all.

I am not here just for dispute. I am also here to share. I, as a christian, read many blatantly false things in these posts about what I supposedly was taught to believe. I just try to clarify what is the truth from what is broad generalization. Humans are no worse off because of religion. Humans would commit all the atrocities they commit without religion, they would just find some other scapegoat to blame it on besides personal responsibility. Funny, since christians are being labeled in this thread as those who dont take personal responsibility but the same people are claiming that they do horrible things not because of who they are personally but because they are christian....cant have it both ways

I take full responsibility for my actions, I use Gods laws as a guide just as others use mans laws. When I do things wrong, it is not the fault of laws existing,, it is just my personal bad choice.

I'll admit I do see christians, on the whole, as being inherently evil. Though this is not a predjudice w/o cause, I assure you. I've known far too many professed "good" christains who had no problems commiting blantantly evil acts. And history is repleat with such examples. And that pretty much goes for just about anyone with a belief system that has a godthing or things at it's head.
However, I do make the effort to take into account any individuals actions or words.

I have to disagree with you on the "fault of the laws existing" thing. There have been many many bad laws in human history that good people should've and indeed have, railed against. If I had been born in the mid 1800's or before, I would've been proud to break laws to free slaves. And I would've been quite happy to kill slave owners to do it too. I would've defended indians, women, or whatever group of intelligent lifeforms were being oppressed or enslaved. The laws be damned. God's or man's.
Which brings me to another point, christianity has been an excuse for slavery and the oppression of women. For almost it's entire history. Doesn't that bother you?

Actually - what is historically accurate is that were it not for two devoted Christians - there would still be slavery in England and in America. Christianity is not responsible for the creation or furtherance of slavery - but for the irratication of it.

Eljay's photo
Mon 01/25/10 01:32 AM

athiests use logic? What kind of logic contends that humans came from monkeys when there are still primates in existence?

The logic is only one chromosome being different, the similar skeletal structures, that there are an overwhelmingly large amount of physical similarities. In religion there is no logic, that is where blind faith comes in. In atheism, there is a reliance on the scientific method. A person using this method doesnt necessarily look at something as it being entirely right without testing it rigorously. The science-minded person will take a hypothesis and conduct the tests with the aim of disproving old theories. Religion teaches us not to question our faith. There is no logic in not evaluating something. So, yes, atheists use logic, and are some of the most logical individuals out there. There are sub-species that are formed, but the original creatures in which the sub-species formed from are still in existence. There is absolutely no logic in that a deity made a man out of dirt, then breathed into his nose, then he came to life, or that a rib was taken from a man in his sleep, and formed into a woman. But, then again, thats where blind faith comes in.

While I can't find fault in your claim that there's no logic to creation - as far as the limit's of man's observation and perception go - I can find absolutely nothing to support your argument that Atheism has anything to do with logic what-so-ever. Nor does it have anything to do with science.

A staunch Atheist is as logical as a legalistic religious fundamentalist, because they are both essentially practicing and putting their faith in a philosophy. What is scientific and logical about that?

Eljay's photo
Mon 01/25/10 01:26 AM

His religion is one of the things I held against Obama but he was still a better choice than McCain.

How so?

Religion or believing in one can be a bad mark against someone in power. Because they will make choices based on the philosophy of the religion making them possibly very dangerous.

But that goes to the incapabability of an individual to make sound judgements - not to the core of religious philosophy. If I have a corrupt leader using religion to support a subverted agenda, and I mix that with someone devoid of sound discernmet of what is right or wrong - the issue is not one of religion - but of human nature.

Considering that religion encourages divisiveness, superiority, hypocrisy, I will disagree that it is just a human nature problem. Religion encourages wishing bad on humans who do not believe as you do. Religion encourages less self responsibility. To name a few of the issues with religion. Then add a position of power to all of those issues that religion has and you are asking for trouble.

Until the religious can realize they are the same as all other people in the world regardless to belief with no special priviledges with god and no special treatment when they die and no superior morality or superior judgements, they should not be trusted in places of power.

I've been a member of a religion most of my entire life - and I haven't experienced any of what you "claim" reliigon is responsible for. What are you basing your statements on? What experience do you have with religion? What are some examples that you can site where a religion is to blame - and not an individual or group of individual's interpretation of a religious philosophy is not to blame. The only example I can think of is Satanism and some forms of Witchcraft or Paganism where what you claim is more a part of the religious philosophy than the individuals who are interpreting it.

And I know of no religion with a special priviledge with God. As a matter of fact - it is religion which keeps one from God more often than not.

Obviously you are blinded by your own beliefs to see what I am talking about because the examples you gave are not even slightly on target.

I was raised both Catholic and Baptist and have been around religious folks all my life. So I am speaking from personal observation. I have seen religion take a logical person and turn them into an illogical "righteous" mess. I have seen the damage religion has on children. I have seen personally people who feel "justified" and "righteous" that those who do not believe as them are deserving of bad things to happen to them.

Every religion teaches divisiveness, superiority and hypocrisy. I have studied different religions and it is the same with most of them. The major religions definitely do this. All of Christianity does it.

All of the concepts in most religion contort logical thought and create a twisted sense of reality. So a person in power with this twist is not necessarily the best to make important decisions.

I'm not blinded by my own beliefs - I just don't see the same thing you do through the clouded specticles you see life with.

First off - we are not in disagreement about what goes on in the world - i see the same things you do as far as people doing injustices to themselves, and teaching children to do the same - but I don't see where the blame is on "religion" - and not the people intelligent enough to understand what it is they think they believe.

Your caim that every religion teaches divisiveness, superiority and hypocracy is blatenly false. Period. not only is this not true - i say that you cannot name one religion outside of Satanism that can support this claim of yours. Certainly not christianity. And if that's your claim - I attest that you don't know what christianity is.

Now - I'm not going to sit here and admit that there are not religions in this world who's philosophy is not inherantly damaging and dangerous. I would never make that claim. In fact - for the most part, I would tend to agree with the OP about his initial intent behind the firdt post. But for radically different reasons. I've seen all the damage that has been done since the religion of "Evolution" has been introduced into the main stream, and our children forced to accept it as truth. There has been no other religion throughout time that hs done more damage to the human race than that of evolution. From it we have the autrocities of Hitler and Stalin - euthanasia - abortion, all born out of the philosophies of Evolution.

But my sense is - that this is not the aspects of religion that you'd agree with me on as far as it's destructive influence. Why?

Obviously you.

You have missed on all of your examples still about the teachings of christianity.

I cannot help you because of your blinders. You will continue to believe what you do, be it right or wrong.

Most religions teach divisiveness, superiority and hypocrisy, there is not way around it and individuality doesn't change it. If you follow the religion you will incorporate divisiveness, superiority and hypocrisy in your beliefs, projections and judgements.

So - are you going to answer my question and name a religion that supports your claim? Or are you merely prefering not to contaminate your opinion with facts.

Eljay's photo
Mon 01/25/10 01:20 AM

I am assuming no such thing. An atheist is a person who believes in SOMETHING. But God is no one of them. The term atheist means a person who has no belief in God. Any other beliefs you think he may have that you think goes along with that is your own assumption and interpretation of the word.

JB is correct. We can say that atheists have beliefs simply because they are human, not because they are atheists. There is only one belief universal to 'strong atheists' (the positive belief in the nonexistence of deities) , and there are no beliefs universal to 'weak atheists'.

But you are assuming that an Atheist is without belief - however this is not true. The religion of most - if not all atheists is Secular Humanism, and if not that - it's Uniformalism. Just because a "God" isn't involved, or believed in - does not mean there isn't a "religion" present.

This sounds like Fundamentalist Christian Kool Aid to me. If you are talking about a Secular Humanist, the intelligent thing to do is to say "Secular Humanist." To say "atheist" when you mean "Secular Humanist" is both dishonest and contrary to an intelligent development of thought, IMO.

Its obvious to me, from listening to tons of Christian talk radio and reading many books on apologetics (intended for lay people, not theologians) that there is a massive trend of Fundamentalists Christians continuously repeating bizarre ideas, promoting false logic, and taking arguments out of their original context to obtain a kind of 'mass hypnosis' of the ridiculous . Saying that "atheism is a religion" is one of those phrases/memes/beliefs.

It is complete an total nonsense, and obviously so if you just take a look at words composing the sentence.

There are similar statements that an honest and intelligent person could make.... such as, "it looks like all humans, including atheists, have a belief system of some sort" or "it looks like all humans, including atheists, take a lot of their belief system on faith" or "many atheists participate in some cultural phenemona that are atheist in nature and yet which have the same qualities of religions" and on and on.

Saying that "atheism is a religion" is at least as foolish as saying that "theism is a religion".

Forgive my being absent, and trying to catch up here.....

As I said in the second part of the post to Jeannie - that it is a matter of semantics.

The issue is not one of defining an "Atheist" - I think Jeannie nailed it.

However - What is at issue is what one considers "religion" and how one equates an Atheist's not believing in a "deity" to not being religious, and therefore not "quilty" of the OP's original accusation. Which is the point I'm trying to make. I've never met an Atheist who was not religious. And I lived in Harvard Square for years - and have met more than my share of strong-atheists, weak-atheists, strong agnostics, weak agnostics, agnostic-atheists, and atheistic-agnostics. Never met anyone who didn't believe in some religion or another.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 11:24 PM

How so?

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:41 PM

is not believing the same as believing in nought?

Only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Tuesdays.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:36 PM
Edited by Eljay on Tue 01/19/10 10:40 PM

The Supreme Court ruled that Atheism is a religion as well. Atheists have a belief that they follow as well as churches.

They only did that for a purpose during a trial.

It still doesn't classify as a religion.

What?????

frustrated

What have you been smokin

Atheism is not a religion it is a logic.

Say's who?

Are you the authority on this? What do you mean by "logic"?

I have as much authority as you do.

Logic means it makes sense. The deductions can be made to make it make sense. Religion doesn't have that luxury, it is a leap of faith.

Well - I've spent the better part of the last 30 years studying logic. Atheism and logic do not belong in a sentence together - unless it is to say that one has nothing to do with the other.

Logic is built on acceptable premises which lead to inevidible conclusions. It is a branch of mathematics. Atheism - or religion for that matter, is a part of philosophy. While it may be true that logical conclusions can be drawn in Atheism - they can also be drawn in belief of the tooth fairy.

Atheism is no more or less logical than Christianity, Hinduism, or blief (or lack of) Santa Claus.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:32 PM

How so?

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:24 PM

The Supreme Court ruled that Atheism is a religion as well. Atheists have a belief that they follow as well as churches.

What?????

frustrated

Atheism is not a religion it is a logic.

Say's who?

Are you the authority on this? What do you mean by "logic"?

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:23 PM

all in all. the reality.
god was invented to explain mystery.... when you finally discover how something works, you dont need him anymore. but you need him for the other mysteries. so therefore you leave him to create the universe because we havent figured that out yet. and to explain consciousness...stuff like that.

I think its much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which MIGHT be wrong. I dont feel frightened by being lost in a universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell

Yet you seen quite convinced to dismiss the possible actuality of God, and you do this by your own measure of intelligence - which you have just claimed is lived with the comfort of NOT knowing.

Surely - even you can see the absurdity of this logic. By your own post - we should dismiss your opinion right away, thus considering the reality of God the better idea.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:18 PM
Edited by Eljay on Tue 01/19/10 10:25 PM

How so?

But that goes to the incapabability of an individual to make sound judgements - not to the core of religious philosophy. If I have a corrupt leader using religion to support a subverted agenda, and I mix that with someone devoid of sound discernment of what is right or wrong - the issue is not one of religion - but of human nature.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:11 PM

I was under the impression that Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a God.

You cannot have a belief that something does not exist. That is like a double negative. laugh laugh

Its just a disagreement with the people who do believe in God.

One person says: I believe in God.
The other persons says: I don't believe.

Not believing is not a "belief."

But you are assuming that an Atheist is without belief - however this is not true. The religion of most - if not all atheists is Secular Humanism, and if not that - it's Uniformalism. Just because a "God" isn't involved, or believed in - does not mean there isn't a "religion" present.

Personally - I don't think any man is a God - especially his own. Does that make me an Atheist in terms of secular humanism? Does that now mean I am without religion and immune to the curse of the OP?

Seems to me - the issue here is one of semantics and definition. And as with all posts where any personal definiton of the terms will do - this will go on for about 50 pages - if it doesn't get locked before then.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:05 PM

You have to define "religion". For example, do you consider Buddhism a religion?

Religion is any belief in a deity or deities of unknown or unseen origin that has a book or set of doctrines that determine actions for the practitioners.

Atheism by definition is not that.

Assuming of course that you are the standard by which we define religion.

Eljay's photo
Tue 01/19/10 10:01 PM

What?????

frustrated

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25