Community > Posts By > ...

no photo
Fri 09/06/19 02:54 AM
I honestly believe that if something so terrible happened to me, I would consider myself to be extremely lucky. There is no logical reason why I would suddenly start to believe in some mythical creature that decided to save me, and me alone, while allowing others nearby to be destroyed. Good luck is the only thing that would make sense to me in that situation. I would find it impossible to believe that I alone am worthy of saving yet those nearby are not worthy of saving, so they had to die.

no photo
Thu 09/05/19 03:57 PM
One day to go, hope it works well, fingers crossed.

no photo
Thu 09/05/19 03:54 PM
The SNP party is the one that wants Scotland to be separate from England. They also want to remain in Europe and they also want to keep the Engpish Pound currency! A few problems:

1. If that happens there will be another land border between England and Europe. Given the difficult over the one in Ireland, how will they handle it?

2. If we (the UK) leaves the EU, Scotland will, like it or not, leave with us because we are one country. If subsequently Scotland 'leaves' the UK and becomes a separate country, it will have to apply to join the EU as a 'new member country'. As far as I know, it is now a requirement of the EU that new countries joining must accept the Euro as their currency. Scotland will have to accept the Euro, but doesn't want to.

3. Scotland wants to 'keep' the UK pound as its currency, but how can it do that when it is a different country? It will need its own currency. Just as Canada, Australia and the US all have 'dollars', so Scotland can have 'Pounds' if they wish, but it will not be the UK pound, its value will rise and fall against the pound, just as the Canadian dollar rises and falls against the US dollar.

The UK government made all sorts of promises to Scotland to keep them in the UK. They now claim that not all those promises have been kept. Am I surprised that a government makes promises to get what it wants and then not keep those promises? Not really!

Now the SNP wants another go at leaving the UK. Personally I wouldn't mind if they did leave. I think they would be worse off and we in England would be better off. I like Scotland and would have to put up with taking my passport should I visit that country. Other than that I doubt it would affect me. Certainly nothing like as much as Brexit will, whatever happens. I think the difficulties of leaving the EU have been exaggerated and those using the scare tactics will feel very silly if and when we do actually leave. They will make mountains our of molehills at every opportunity, I'm sure!

no photo
Thu 09/05/19 01:12 AM
Edited by ... on Thu 09/05/19 01:17 AM
Looks like the remainers are trying to force Boris to do the one thing he promised never to do. That leaves him the option to call a General Election, because doing that will hold things up. Whoever becomes the next PM will then be forced to go back to Brussels, cap in hand, and beg for another extension. What will happen if the Tories do win the next election, and if Boris remains as PM? What will he do about an extension, if he is forced to go for one? What if we have a hung parliament next time?

I've never in my life spent so many hours watching politics on the box!

As far as I can see, politicians are full of remainers but they don't like to admit they are remainers because the two main parties both promised to honour the result of the referendum.

When we had that referendum, the idiot Cameron was so sure the country would vote to remain that he gave us a binary choice - leave or remain - with absolutely no discussion about how we would leave. Remainers said we'll leave the Customs Union, how terrible. Leavers also said we'll leave the Customs Union, but they said how wonderful! It seemed to me at the time that the choice was between WTO rules or remaining. The EU has constantly argued for 'ever closer union' meaning, as far as I can see, that we would move to becoming 'The United States of Europe' one day - just like the USA where there are no 'borders' between one state and the next. Given that choice, I voted for leave so we could return to where we were before we joined.

Since then, my position became described as a 'hard' Brexit while remainers divided into those who admitted they wanted to remain and those who pretended they wanted to 'respect' the vote but leave in a way that kept the Customs Union, some suggesting that we become like Norway or Canada.

The EU knew that May was a remainer at heart and didn't believe she would carry out her threat to leave at the end of March. They just sat back and waited for her reserve to crumble, as it did when she begged for an extension. And then another one.

Now we have Boris who recognised that we cannot have the deal May 'agreed' with the EU because it has been voted down three times. So he wants another deal. I think he hasn't noticed that the EU will not budge. They will not alter the 'backstop' or the agreement in any way. His mistake is to refuse to go to Brussels until they agree to drop the 'backstop'. They won't drop it so he can't negotiate with them. He is full of bluster about 'getting a new agreement' but it just isn't going to happen.

His life is made impossible by the remoaners who just don't understand how brinkmanship works. Poor Boris, this country is in a mess. And the result could be a Corybn government when the remoaners finally come together, instead of arguing among each other and wanting slightly different things.

Any Remain voting people here willing to pick an argument with me?

no photo
Thu 09/05/19 12:55 AM

Thank you MK getting worried about a lot of things while I heal. I know I will have trouble reading posts here. So, I'd better find me some readers lol flowerforyou

How are your eyes, now? I do hope you can read the things people say on these forums. flowerforyou

no photo
Wed 09/04/19 02:40 PM
Edited by ... on Wed 09/04/19 02:41 PM

no photo
Wed 09/04/19 09:41 AM
480 ?

or 615 ?

no photo
Tue 09/03/19 02:56 PM

no photo
Tue 09/03/19 01:42 PM

we're back happy

no photo
Tue 09/03/19 09:30 AM
The Brexit party won't have anything to do with the Tories unless they become firmly in favour of WTO rules and no 'deal' - which means they would be the same as the Brexit party. Only in that situation would the two parties work together. If they don't do that, we could blame Farage for letting Corbyn in.

no photo
Tue 09/03/19 05:57 AM
Just when you think you are alone, along comes............

It's that man again!!! laugh laugh laugh flowerforyou

no photo
Tue 09/03/19 03:22 AM

'good morning ladies' ? Don't the men get a hello as well?

I think we should start a game in which the men are more likely to win, but I can't think of one that might work! flowerforyou

no photo
Mon 09/02/19 12:09 PM

no photo
Mon 09/02/19 01:13 AM
I think all those trying to stop the 'hard Brexit' option are all remoaners, but they prefer not to admit it because that would mean they are ignoring the Referendum result. Only the LibDems are brave enough to tell the country 'you got it wrong'. After all nearly half the country might vote for them next time! Labour has finally come off the fence on the side of the LibDems, and other parties. The worsth thing that could happen at the next election is that the Greens, SNP, Labour and others all join together and agree not to compete BUT the Tories and Brexit Party are too arrogant to do the same sharing. Result would likely be a hung parliament with a majority of remain voting MPs. That would be a disaster. Let's hope that if the remainers join forces, so do the Tories and Bexit party.

What a weird choice, no longer choosing between left and right, but choosing between stay or go as the only option! I think the next few weeks in politics will be even more interesting than recent months......

no photo
Mon 09/02/19 01:06 AM

no photo
Sun 09/01/19 02:17 PM
Boris has said that MPs who vote against him will be sacked and not allowed to stand at the next general election. Things are hotting up!

no photo
Sun 09/01/19 02:15 PM

flowers

no photo
Sun 09/01/19 06:45 AM

Those of you from America should come over here and live in England - we don't get such terrible weather here, we're lucky! flowerforyou

no photo
Sat 08/31/19 11:48 PM

laugh

no photo
Sat 08/31/19 01:37 PM
I think I said we were due to leave the EU on 29 March. That date has of course been and gone and so has a second date. Reason is that May was a remainer, trying to recogise the result of the referendum, but her heart was not in it. And the EU knew it, so they just waited, knowing she would cave in and request another extension.

The EU would have loved it if she were still in power, requesting extensions, one after another for ever - which is effectively remainining in Europe!

But no, we now have Boris who has made it quite clear that although he wants a deal, if he doesn't get one we will leave with no deal regardless, and there will be no further extensions.

Some Remain-voting MPs are reacting as though he really does want a no-deal exit and are doing all they can to stop us leaving. The old idea of each party having its own identity has now been replaced with each MP having his or her own idea of where to go and no interest whatsoever in cooperating with the others. The word 'compromise' is probably about to disappear.

Some Remainers are now saying that all they want it out. It's very difficult for business to plan when they don't know what they should be planning for.

Thoughts, anyone?