no photo
Mon 09/30/19 12:32 AM

I'm here too waving

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 02:22 PM

yay! waving waving waving

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 11:01 AM
I would say that 'it just happened' is a simpler explanation than 'it was programmed to happen' because that option involves the existence of some very clever being, whose existence has never been proven and cannot be proven, but is instead 'taken on faith alone' - NOT very scientific!!!

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 07:56 AM
from Wikipedia:

Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor) is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exists two explanations for an occurrence. In this case the one that requires the least amount of assumptions is usually correct. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation. Occam's razor applies especially in the philosophy of science, but also more generaly.

As I said, this principle states that the simpler of two explanations is more likely to be the correct one.

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 07:54 AM
I do indeed have a very relaxed view of life, and I enjoy it very much.

I am not in the slightest bit convinced about the reasons for the relatively recent shootings that are taking place, even here in England, but nothing like as much as in the USA. I think you are comparing apples with oranges here. The one is not the cause of the other. :smile:

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 06:58 AM
I can guess who the last one was........

Perhaps it will be river again? Or Dee? Or Cutie? Probably one of those three!

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 06:44 AM
As seen from the UK, it is interesting to watch the impeachment proceedings.

Almost every time the trump says anything it turns out to be a lie. When he came to visit us here in England, he reported that there were no protests - but we saw thousands of people protesting on our own TV screens!

Will he get elected next year for a second term? Difficlut to tell at the moment.

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 06:41 AM

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 01:10 AM
Better

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 01:09 AM
nope c'est moi waving

no photo
Sun 09/29/19 01:06 AM

oops naughty girl river, you jumped up by 10 - no wonder you ladies always win! love flowerforyou waving

no photo
Sat 09/28/19 12:54 PM
The fact that I'm alive and have the breath of life is enough to convince me that my parents were successful in creating me, and here I am nearly 70 years later and still breathing.

What has 'god' got to do with it?

Nothing!

no photo
Fri 09/27/19 11:57 PM

6 ↓

2 ↓

7 ↓

waving

no photo
Fri 09/27/19 03:24 PM
6 ↓

2 ↓

5 ↓

waving

no photo
Thu 09/26/19 01:18 PM
um...

er...

?
?

no photo
Thu 09/26/19 10:07 AM
Your description might apply to Americans but it certainly does not apply to those in English schools when I was at school.

If something is random, it is not programmed (no need for boldface or capitals, those are considered to be shouting). On the other hand if something is programmed, it is not random. Those words are near enough opposites!

Believers in some sort of faith would say that what happened from the dawm of time has all been programmed by the fantastic being they believe in. People like me say the opposite. The universe was created by random acts, which clearly do not need trillions of years. The very meaning of the word random is that something might happen tomorrow, or not for a very long time. What actually happened is that life formed in a random way over the number of years that it took to happen, nothing more, nothing less than that.

I can't understand why some people behave like conspiracy theorists and just cannot accept that what happened is what happened, and was not 'created' by some amazing being. If I find I'm wrong and I get to meet this being, my only question would be, "Why?"

Apply Occam's Razor to this situation - the simplest explanation is most likely to be the correct one. I go along with that!

no photo
Thu 09/26/19 02:21 AM
I guess that's one way of looking at it! All sounds very complicated to me!

I have no need to inherit anything as my parents are now both dead and I have the inheritance they left me.

As for including gay people in your long list of 'bad' people that is so last century and rude towards those people. Most churches now offer a wedding service for gay couples. What does your belief say about that?

no photo
Wed 09/25/19 01:05 PM
I guess things are a bit different here in England. I was sent to a Catholic school and that is where I learnt human values. These were of course wrapped up in the Catholic system but somehow that all went over my head and when I left school I stopped going to church or having any belief in it. My parents and teachers managed to teach me the right and wrong things to do and once I grew up after school I was easily able to discard the Catholic part of my upbringing and continue leading a normal life.

I think it is naïve to suggest that the increase in general violence around the world is the result of a change in the policy of the shool you attended! As far as I know the school I went to has not changed its policy in that respect at all, but it hasn't stopped the worldwide violence we sadly see these days. I do believe that these two are not in any way connected, at least not here in England.

no photo
Wed 09/25/19 09:26 AM

:smile: flowerforyou

no photo
Wed 09/25/19 09:24 AM
With respect, I say it is you who are brainwashed. It is you who believe in a non-existent mythical being and it is you who live your life by rules laid down by men who think they are the required rules of this mythical being.

As a humanist, I live by the 'christian' ideals of treat others as you would be treated, in other words be nice to people, don't kill or steal, and so on. As an adult I can do all of this without needing some imaginary friend to tell me what to do!

It is certainly you who are too ignorant of the real world to realise that this mythical being who loves you so much is nothing more than an imaginary friend who exists only in your mind.

Even better I have no expectation whatsoever of reward or punishment in some sort of life after I cease breathing and am dead. It is a fault of the human race that we are arrogant and find it just too hard to accept that there is absolutely nothing after death. We are animals (advanced, of course) but when we die there is nothing left but memories shared by our friends and family. I am comfortable with that, but people who have not yet grown up still cling to this very old-fashioned belief that there is some sort of 'spirit' that continues to exist after death and that somehow this 'spirit' is rewarded or punished according to our behaviour while alive.

Sorry pal, you're just wrong, it's not like that!