Community > Posts By > ...

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 11:13 AM
Edited by ... on Wed 10/02/19 11:14 AM
The answer to your first question is a definite YES but I do not understand your second question. I just tell it as it is, nothing as complicated as you seem to imply!

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 11:10 AM
nine

zero

SEVEN

waving waving

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 09:40 AM
May I assure you that I believe everything I have said. I'm sure you believe all the nonsense you have spouted, complete with all those capital letters and all that bold type. Your reply is weird to say the least.

Let me repeat, there is no such thing as god, the idea was invented my man, and not the other way around. People who believe that nonsense are deluded and if I was sufficiently interested I would feel sorry for y'all.

I promise that I truly believe all of the things I have said in my posts. I assume you believe all of what you say? I cannot imagine why anyone would post something they do not believe in. What a weird idea!

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 03:40 AM

eight

five

ONE

:banana: :thumbsup: waving waving

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 02:13 AM
Queen

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 01:16 AM
Curious that no complaint was made at the time, but now it could harm Boris, or BJ as I suppose you could call him..... they bring it up in the hope of causing maximum harm. So sad that politics has gone this way but they do say that what happens in the USA will happen here aobut ten years later. Perhaps now we should say 'will happen here next year'.

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 01:13 AM
eight

five

ONE

:banana: :thumbsup: waving waving

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 12:42 AM

eight

five

zero

:thumbsup: waving

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 12:31 AM
eight

five

zero

:thumbsup: waving

no photo
Wed 10/02/19 12:28 AM
Now that I know reality what reality is - not following someone else's path while thinking it is my own - I too am at peace. When I die, that's it, no devils or angels waiting to meet me, not even a thousand virgins (boo hoo!).

I too am not scared of death, so long as it is quick, not slow and painful. A friend knew she was dying of cancer and when the doctors had given her all the available drugs they could she finally decided to stop taking the pills and two weeks later she was no longer with us. That was one brave lady, don't know how I would cope if that happened to me, as of course it might do one day.

I really didn't like having to go through my Father's belongings when he died and I don't want others to be going through my things when I'm no longer around. The thought of that is far more upsetting than the thought of just not being here any longer. I would feel that my privacy was being invaded. Maybe if I feel my end is near I should wipe the computer and lose all my passwords.

I am so pleased that the god delusion has gone from my life and of course I do feel pity for those who cling on to their beliefs. In particular, those whose faith is what I would call 'aggressive'. Sometimes, it is only because they want you to join their particular version of it. Look at the living style of the Mormons and JWs or in particular the cults that use religion to persuade you to join. That is easily enough to convince me that they are not really 'religious' groups at all. They are money making organisations, but the 'product' they are selling is 'eternal life for the good' which from a salesman's point of view is unbeatable. The 'product' will never be 'faulty' and require a return to the 'manufacturer'. A salesman's dream come true!

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 12:22 PM

Some embrace reality and allow the conditioning to slowly pass from them.

I'm in this category. I embraced reality in my late teens when I realised I had been gullible as a youngster. A bit like believing in Santa, but I gave that one up earlier!

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 03:54 AM
next will be River, I'm sure of it

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 03:53 AM
yes please - are you offering me one? laugh :thumbsup: waving

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 03:53 AM
seven

eight

eight

waving

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 01:28 AM
... and it's getting worse by the day

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 01:26 AM
:thumbsup: :smile:

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 12:56 AM
Edited by ... on Tue 10/01/19 12:56 AM
Live Science sums it up like this:

Earth is estimated to be about 4.5 billion years old, and for much of that history it has been home to life in one weird form or another.

Indeed, some scientists think life appeared the moment our planet's environment was stable enough to support it.

The earliest evidence for life on Earth comes from fossilized mats of cyanobacteria called stromatolites in Greenland that are about 3.7 billion years old. Ancient as their origins are, these bacteria (which are still around today) are already biologically complex—they have cell walls protecting their protein-producing DNA, so scientists think life must have begun much earlier. In fact, there are hints of life in even more primeval rocks: 4.1-billion-year-old zircons from Western Australia contain high amounts of a form of carbon typically used in biological processes. (7 Theories on the Origin of Life)

But despite knowing approximately when life first appeared on Earth, scientists are still far from answering how it appeared.

"Many theories of the origin of life have been proposed, but since it's hard to prove or disprove them, no fully accepted theory exists," said Diana Northup, a cave biologist at the University of New Mexico.

The answer to this question would not only fill one of the largest gaps in scientists' understanding of nature, but also would have important implications for the likelihood of finding life elsewhere in the universe.

Lots of ideas

Today, there are several competing theories for how life arose on Earth. Some question whether life began on Earth at all, asserting instead that it came from a distant world or the heart of a fallen comet or asteroid. Some even say life might have arisen here more than once.

"There may have been several origins," said David Deamer, a biochemist at the University of California, Santa Cruz. "We usually make 'origins' plural just to indicate that we don't necessarily claim there was just a single origin, but just an origin that didn't happen to get blasted by giant [asteroid] impacts."

Most scientists agree that life went through a period when RNA was the head-honcho molecule, guiding life through its nascent stages. According to this "RNA World" hypothesis, RNA was the crux molecule for primitive life and only took a backseat when DNA and proteins — which perform their jobs much more efficiently than RNA — developed.

"A lot of the most clever and most talented people in my field have accepted that the RNA World was not just possible, but probable," Deamer said.

RNA is very similar to DNA, and today carries out numerous important functions in each of our cells, including acting as a transitional-molecule between DNA and protein synthesis, and functioning as an on-and-off switch for some genes. (Extreme Life on Earth: 8 Bizarre Creatures)

Either it happened the obvious way that most scientists believe, or for some reason there was a magical wizard that nobody has ever seen who decided to 'create' all this. Why? For her own amusement? Bizarre!

The deluded believers think this being exists, others think that life just happened. Take a few chemicals and a bolt of lightning and you can start it yourself!

My question is, does it really matter? Maybe this being did all those things claimed of it, but why would it matter to any of us humans? Why would it make a difference? As I've said, personally I believe that the simpler answer of "it just happened and here we are" is the more likely. Would it make a difference if I was wrong? I doubt it but I don't have the time or interest to speculate on the "what if I'm wrong" idea. No point at all in doing that because nobody can prove an answer! I will just carry on enjoying my life. If others choose to have some sort of belief, then good luck to them!

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 12:42 AM
I guess I live in a different universe. Wikipedia says:

In physical cosmology, the age of the universe is the time elapsed since the Big Bang. The current measurement of the age of the universe is 13.787±0.020 billion (109) years within the Lambda-CDM concordance model.[1] The uncertainty has been narrowed down to 20 million years, based on a number of studies which all gave extremely similar figures for the age. These include studies of the microwave background radiation, and measurements by the Planck spacecraft, the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe and other probes. Measurements of the cosmic background radiation give the cooling time of the universe since the Big Bang,[2] and measurements of the expansion rate of the universe can be used to calculate its approximate age by extrapolating backwards in time.

no photo
Tue 10/01/19 12:38 AM
someone else waving

no photo
Mon 09/30/19 12:44 AM
Unfortunately there are none so blind as the deluded who just will not see!

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25