Community > Posts By > LTme

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 07:31 PM
"where is pan islam" mh

It's on an otherwise lovely little planet called "Earth".
"and how many were involved?" mh

Depending on how you define "involved", most or all of them.
pan- prefix
Pan-. Involving all of or the union of a specified group: Pan-Hellenic.

[Greek, from pan, neuter of pas, pant-, all.]

Excerpted from The American Heritage� Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition � 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

"there are billions of muslims, so I still think that qualifies as not the rule,,,,," mh

Excellent.
My posted comment was:
When a Danish cartoonist depicted not Allah, but the prophet Mohammed with a bomb in his turban, the rioting in pan Islam was so severe that human life was lost.

Over a CARTOON!!

But Islam's reaction to the mass-murder of ~3,000 innocent Americans on 09/11/01 Islam's reaction seemed substantially more sedate.
QUOTE:
"All honors wounds are self-inflicted." Andrew Carnegie

I have NOT degraded Islam. ONLY Muslims could do that. And the violent sociopathic murdering Muslims do so by their conduct, and the non-violent Muslims do so by their silence.

There may be a silver lining.
But from where I sit, it looks like one huge grey cloud." Lm

So you please tell me mh:
What one specific factual error can you cite, in my posted words?
"and I doubt Pan Islam is the same as the Nation of Islam,,,," mh

a) What is "the nation of Islam"?

b) Is it recognized as a nation by the United Nations, the E.U., NATO, or any other well established international organization?

c) What is its capital?

d) What are the membership requirements?

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 07:12 PM
Delicate and precise wording is appropriate here.

I believe there are good and decent persons on this planet that are Muslim.
That's fine.

The problem is, they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

What evidence do we have of this?

When a Danish cartoonist depicted not Allah, but the prophet Mohammed with a bomb in his turban, the rioting in pan Islam was so severe that human life was lost.

Over a CARTOON!!

But Islam's reaction to the mass-murder of ~3,000 innocent Americans on 09/11/01 Islam's reaction seemed substantially more sedate.
"All honors wounds are self-inflicted." Andrew Carnegie

I have NOT degraded Islam. ONLY Muslims could do that. And the violent sociopathic murdering Muslims do so by their conduct, and the non-violent Muslims do so by their silence.

There may be a silver lining.
But from where I sit, it looks like one huge grey cloud.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 06:31 PM
I used to work in a factory, with a co-worker that was a practical joker, & married.
His wife called for him one day, though I answered the phone. The call came shortly after he'd tried one on me.
I didn't want to do anything elaborate.
So I just said to her:
"Hang on, I'll go get him; is this his wife, or his girl friend?"

Took care of that! (I gather he had the dog house carpeted)

PS
I'd like to congratulate myself on reaching the century mark on my post counter here @mingle2.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 05:19 PM
Correction:

Lm previously posted:
"the escape path includes having gone through thick prison walls" Lm

"the wall opposite the bars at the back of their adjacent cells were thick concrete" Lm

This is NOT correct.

A local news broadcast on this showed a still image depicting the wall as perhaps less than one quarter inch thick.
So perhaps the Dremel comment wasn't so far off.

That same still image also shows what appears to be an electrical wire.
So perhaps there are electrical outlets in prison cells.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 04:55 PM
"... the chase doesn't stop at the boarder" d1

True.

BUT !!

It introduces significant jurisdictional complications, including:
- Governor Cuomo has ~250 LEOs working the case. Their work is quite likely to stop at the border.

- That drops these two hot potatoes in Canada's lap. And they don't have a whole lot of $financial $incentive to fund a $multi-$million $dollar manhunt; to clean up the mess the U.S. is responsible for.

"They are not a country full of white people wearing berets." S2

Tidy whities?
I thought Canada was substantially White skinned. I know the larger cities may have minority residents.

But there aren't a lot of Black ***** on the Toronto Maple Leaf's bench.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 04:19 PM
Well SR,
I'm guessing you're right.
If they were sticking to main roads, they'd probably be back in custody already.

An hour ago local weather report is, by tomorrow morning, a cold front will move in from the Northwest. The temp. may drop, and there may be heavy rains.

They may turn themselves in, just for a dry blanket and a warm cup of coffee.

- or -

Maybe they'll get eaten by bears.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 04:03 PM
" I didn't know the Canadian border was unguarded." ue

At the heavily trafficked border crossings that handle thousands of automobiles a day, there are multiple guards, identity checks, and more.
But my comment was:
"the Canadian border (which is substantially unguarded)" Lm

Contrast it to our Mexican border.
I gather much, if not most of the U.S. / Mexico border has a fence, and is patrolled both on the ground and in the air.
But the ~3,000 mile long U.S. Canada border is mostly unguarded.
It's just woods.
Not only not a fence.
Potentially not even a sign.
A hiker might cross the international border, and not even know it.
That's far less likely on our Southern border.
" These suspects will be extremely difficult to find. " ue

Could be.
I was astounded at how quickly the French police identified the masked gunmen that shot up Charlie Hebdo.

Today police work isn't the way it was 30 years ago.
5 or ten years ago a group of escapees holed up at a camp ground. When the authorities showed up to rearrest them, they were circled around a campfire, studying the Holy Bible.
Odd, as I think one of them murdered a guard to escape.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 03:27 PM
Thanks for the additional info. S2.
I just caught a local news report on it that the prison they escaped was the largest of its kind in New York State.
"There are many places within a large prison where power tools could be used and masked by other sounds, such as boilers, machinery and such." d1

Yes, BUT !!
The pics I saw of it on TV indicated the wall opposite the bars at the back of their adjacent cells were thick concrete, and that power tools were used to cut through that. Looked to me like the hole in the wall was orthoganal.
Dremels are indeed powerful tools. BUT!!
I've never seen a saw blade on a Dremel that's more than about an inch in diameter.
It might be a weeks or months long project to get through such a thick concrete wall as that. AND, where would they get the electrical outlet to run such a tool? Do they have electric outlets in prison cells?

If it was a month long project, I suspect the plot would have been detected. So the suggestion is, they got it done in the time between bed-checks.
At least ONE of the other prisoners in the cell-block would have had to have heard it.
"I would not be surprised if ( as this story unfolds) they had some assistance from the inside. Someone looked the other way..." d1

I agree. I'd consider that nearly a certitude.
I'd be curious to know what the pay-off was.
Would it be worth it to prison guards to lose their job, and perhaps end up being residents of the prison they formerly "guarded"?
"I just hope they get caught before they hurt a innocent person as they run" d1

Me too.
I printed a pic of the two, and motorcycled over to a neighbor earlier today to look in on her.
She was at home, with only her 4 year old granddaughter for company (protection).

At least now she's aware of the problem.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 02:11 PM
A day ago or so two convicted murderers made a mystifying escape from an up-State New York prison.
What's baffling authorities is, the escape path includes having gone through thick prison walls; apparently with power tools.

a) Where did the power tools come from?

b) How could such power tool use be conducted in such densely populated area; and yet go undetected?

c) Where are they now? And where are they headed? And what are their intentions?

My neighbor suggested they're close enough to the Canadian border (which is substantially unguarded), they may be trying to escape to there.

My suspicion is, rather than them digging their way out; they had some outside help that cut their way in; and released them.
But that's a wild guess, based on information from preliminary reports, which are quite often inaccurate.

Do you think they'll be caught?
If so:
- where?
- when?
- by whom?

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 01:48 PM
"since it will be while to get a light year from earth" mm

True.
"it will a bit hard to test..." mm

Also probably true; but not or reason of distance.

BUT !!

On TV news reports where the anchor introduces and interviews a "foreign correspondent", there can be a lag time of several seconds between the end of the question and the beginning of the answer.

If we had this technology today, we could use it to eliminate that time delay.

Of course, I'm not sure that would justify blowing $Billions on developing the technology. At this point it may not even rise to the level of research. I gather it's mainly just a characteristic of entangled particles that we have discovered.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 11:55 AM
n1,
To thank her for the bald spot; get into her bathroom, and loosen some of the light bulbs, so when she turns the light on, it's kind of dark in there.
Then with toilet lid & seat in the upright position, cover the toilet bowl with Saran Wrap (the kind of clear food wrap that in the UK is known as "cling film".
When she goes in there to pee, it'll be too dark for her to see the plastic film, the pee goes all over the place, except in the bowl.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 11:09 AM
C7 is right. COPs may have a lot of balls, but none of them are crystal.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 10:38 AM
"Maybe there's more not being told." al

" i could be over reacting and there may be more to the story. " t8

"When the picture doesn't make any sense, a piece of the puzzle is missing." psychologist Joy Browne

You guys make a sharp point. You're probably right.
"how about for starters not sending" t8

You're swiffing here t8.
We've already agreed they shouldn't have.
The question is; what should they have done instead.
This didn't answer the question, merely affirmed it.
"maybe send 1 officer, or some kind of city employee to talk" t8

al may already have addressed this:
a tersely worded letter might make more sense.
I think al's counterpoint is; they already did some or all that.

What I do not understand is: what was their mission objective.
Were they there to insure the pilot light on her stove was off?
Or just to make her want to move to Cincinnati?
"10 different ways to do it" t8

To do WHAT?!

btw al, I love the hat! Does it keep pink elephants away?

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 08:43 AM
Could "Entangled Particles": enable instantaneous communication across light-years of distance?

"Entangled Particles": Could this be the way to communicate instantaneously across light-years of distance?

According to my understanding of author / professor / astronomer Bob Berman, entangled particles by unknown means communicate with one another.

So that if one of them does something, we know what the other particle will do. That's why we call them "entangled".

BUT!!

Physical proximity does not appear to be the means of their entanglement.
If I understand Berman's point, one "entangled" particle could be light-years away from the other; yet the predictability of their action / reaction would be retained.

By the time Humans live light-years away from Earth, will we have the technology to communicate with them as easily as you and I might communicate by telephone?

Or would we still be communicating by radio, the signal of which would take one year, to cross each light-year?

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 08:24 AM
"her gas was shut off which is against city ordinance, so a swat team raided her house with assault rifles. and it was a no knock raid so the "responsible" pet owners had no time to restrain their dog. a no knock raid with a swat team is beyond insanity for a violation of city ordinance." t8

I agree. You've made a constructive, enlightening, well reasoned, persuasive argument. Thanks.

BUT !!

That's only half of it.
It's very easy for you and me to sit in our comfortable chairs in our safe secure homes, and back-seat drive the COPs to the dog house.
The question isn't merely what the COPs should not have done.
The question is, what should have been done instead?
Perhaps not a SWAT team, but a social worker, or a banker.

But I don't necessarily blame the SWAT COP responders.
I think their command, the one or ones that dispatched them to this case.
As you say, wtf is that about?!

I would sincerely like to know t8:
What do you think should have been done instead?
And how do you think that would have achieved the objectives of the mission?

"if your that deathly afraid of a dog the size of a football you have some serious issues and should not be a cop." t8

It's not that simple.

a) Even a scratch from a rabid animal can be deadly.

b) Most COPs will tell you, the kind of case they hate to cover most is domestic disturbances. They're tired of having to arrest the guy, and while they're installing the bracelets, the girl friend brains them with a frying pan.
It's why COPs sometimes order residents to the floor.

c) The dog could be a distraction, while it's menacing, the guy may be reaching for his .38 under the seat cushion.
COPs do NOT like distractions.

LTme's photo
Sun 06/07/15 07:03 AM
" Unable to Pay Utility Bill " Lead

Around here, if a customer gets too far in arrears on an electric bill, the power company simply removed the power meter. This opens the circuit, cutting off electric service.
"they are unable to pay their natural gas bill."

For natural gas customers, I thought gas meters had main valves with integrated hasp, so the service can be shut off, and locked.
"this happens all the time, even to peaceful pets who pose no threat."

This is an amazingly silly comment.

a) Most dogs are keen to identify the "Alpha". Most dogs already know the alpha in their own "pack" (known to humans as "family").
A dog that may generally have a docile disposition, can become aggressive if it perceives it's own pack's alpha is threatened. Dogs recognize the threat. Very real.
BUT !!
They're just not sophisticated enough to understand it's not like the COP is going to sniff the husband's butt, and then bite his leg. Dogs don't understand our legal system.

b) It is very sad that pet custodians (aka "owners") are so commonly irresponsible. When the COPs arrive, the dog should be chained out of reach.
It's shocking how frequently this spectacularly sensible protocol is ignored; to the detriment of all involved!
Simply failing to chain the dog out of reach proved fatal in this case, and according to t8, in many other cases.

c) I put 60 miles a week on my Schwinn. It's an excellent form of cardiovascular exercise, but there are risks:
- road hazards: I've gotten flat tires more than once
- mechanical failure: cable snap, chain break, etc.
- being caught out in bad weather, including downpour & lightning
- wild deer bolting, most dangerous at dawn and dusk
- wild turkey could easily knock a rider off his ride
- wild bear, less common than deer, but more threatening
- drunken rednecks in rusty pickup trucks
- * being chased down by automobiles and accosted
- By far the most severe danger is ostensibly domesticated canids. We have both fox & coyote here. I've never had a problem with them. The nearest problem I've ever had was a coyote trotting toward me (perhaps it neither saw nor smelled me). It got within about 20', and then turned 90 degrees and disappeared in the vegetation.
It is the ostensibly domesticated dog that is so dangerous.
Don't take my word for it. Ask any postman you know.
And in fact, dogs are so dangerous, they're more dangerous than all these other bicycling risks combined.

And if you put 1,500 miles a year on a bicycle, you'll soon discover that.

The police don't shoot dogs for sport. Most COPs I know are professionals.
And if it's as common as t8 says, there's likely to be a reason for it.

* In every case, in conjunction with my defending myself against a dog attack. In all cases the angry owner, the criminal sociopath has been perfectly content to break the leash law, and allow their cute little fluffy to threaten human life. They don't have a problem with their dog attacking me. They're angry with me for defending myself.

And the saddest thing of all is; it's the irresponsible pet custodians that deserve the penalty; but it's the dog that loses.

How terribly, and entirely NEEDLESSLY sad!

LTme's photo
Sat 06/06/15 06:21 PM
In 6th grade, during recess, I persuaded some of my classmates to help me steal one of the faculty member's cars. It was a VW beetle.
She had left the door unlocked, and back then there weren't steering wheel locks or other such anti-theft devices.
We pushed it from the front of the school building to the back of the building.
Then the bell rang, so we went back inside.
Some time later the teacher showed up in our classroom, in tears: "My car's gone!"
Our teacher went outside, found it where we'd left it, and rolled it back down the hill to where it was originally parked.

Good times.

Over a decade later I was in Germany, and some friends and I were walking to a bar when we saw a tiny car parked by the side of the road. Didn't take much discussion, we just picked the car up, and turned it around and set it back down, facing the wrong way.

More good times.

There's a tiny car called the "Smart".
In Venice, it's a popular hobby to toss them into the canals.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 02:31 PM
In the early 1970's I worked in a carwash in Nanuet, NY.
It was brand new, and we were only in business a few months when they brought in some equipment to get us through the Winter; an "air curtain" a big heavy machine that kept the water from freezing inside.

To lift it into place, we also had a HD fork-lift.

Turns out the boss drove a VW "squareback" a little 2D station wagon.

When he wasn't looking, we used the forklift to pick up his car, and set it on the flat roof of the carwash.

At first he thought it was stolen.
Then, in mock surprise, I told him: "There it is!" and pointed to the roof.

He didn't know how to work the forklift, but we let him fiddle with it a little before we set his car back down on the pavement.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 02:19 PM
t8,
It's a fundamental difference between math and ethics.

Two negatives may make a positive.

But two wrongs do not make a right.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 01:55 PM
This year's triple-crown hopeful has signed a marketing deal with Monster Energy Drinks for $7,000.000.oo
And if he doesn't win the triple-crown, he has a backup deal with Arby's.
Seth Meyers

"... Ford announced a recall of more than 3,000,000 cars & trucks. They say the cruise control can catch fire.
How about that. One day you're driving an Explorer. The next day, it's a blazer."
Jay Leno

Former Rhodes Island Governor Chaffee announced yesterday he's running for president.
Chaffee wants the U.S. to switch to the metric system.
I will start.
Lincoln Chaffee won't get within a kilometer of the White House.
Seth Meyers

"270 prominent scientists say within 40 years robots will be doing most of the jobs we do not want to do. Especially illegal robots from Mexico." Jay Leno

Enjoy your weekend everybody.