Community > Posts By > LTme

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 01:26 PM
according to source, US based hi-tech communication firms lost up to $180 billion in foreign sales due to privacy concerns since snowden's outing of the NSA. of course everything now is privacy.... privacy .... privacy ..... in order to get those markets back. when corporate America gets upset... congress listens.

http://www.thenation.com/article/205953/privacy-and-profit-motive#

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 12:22 PM
SS,
I respect your contribution.
But as a literalist, I'm not in step with your approach.

"Words mean things." Rush Limbaugh

If all we can do to dismiss Bloomberg is to post lies about him, then he's probably a pretty good guy.

I'd rather annihilate an opponent by speaking the truth, then giving him a pass by switching from topic to ad hom.
"Don't be fooled by this idiot!" SS

Bloomberg is a self-made $Billionaire.
I don't think stupidity is his problem.
"The father of "stop and frisk"" SS

I don't think so.
I thought "stop-&-frisk" was a staple of "New York's Finest" since the 1970's if not before.
"If you think the NSA is out of control now under Oblowme, under this clown the Gestapo would pale in comparison!" SS

I believe you believe that.
I don't.
I've been profiling people, including politicians for decades. I do get surprised once in a while. But usually I'm pretty close.

But if you want an example of the "Gestapo" scenario you cite; can anyone come up with a better example than U.S. President Bush (younger)?
His father, President Bush, was head of the CIA before he became VP, and then P.
The sky did not fall.

It was his son, Dubya, ran afoul of:
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

FISA, TSA, and a whole bunch of other matters of wire-tap, etc; new unprecedented ground in undermining the rights of U.S. citizens.

I surely don't think portion control on corrosive beverages is as far out of line as Bush's "roving wire taps".

Looks to me like you've put the bogus in boogeyman.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 11:50 AM
It's silly to pretend Bloomberg is trying to "control".
What he says he's trying to do, and what he appears to be doing is promoting public health.

If Bloomberg wants the maximum size Pepsi to go from 32 oz to 16 oz, all a restaurant diner need do is order two.

For those drinking Pepsi at home, it can be purchased in any jumbo-sized container it's marketed in.

The public health aspect:
a) Both obesity, and diabetes are common among our population, particularly (ironically) among the poor.
The statisticians determined that the health affects of this portion control measure would pay for itself in city services saved, due to reduced obesity and diabetes.

While I enthusiastically share t8's libertarian leanings, I don't think Bloomberg's actual position is so persuasive that we have to lie or distort about it, just to make our position look better.

I'm all for free will, Liberty, and all the rest of it.
But the amount of refined sugar and or other harmful contents in these factory manufactured beverages is not natural. The human body isn't designed to handle it. I think either water, or even beer would be more healthful than soda-pop.

b) Is it really any secret what these soda-pop marketers are doing? They addict pop drinkers, and then keep them buying these beverages that can mar an automobile's finish (you don't want it on your car paint, but you're willing to drink it by the liter?!).

The history of this addiction is unmistakable.
The original recipe for Coca-Cola included cocaine. OF COURSE those that drank it got addicted.
So the "this guy doesnt understand what the word "free" means. he thinks every thing should be regulated" crowd said that's it: no more cocaine in soda-pop.
So the product addiction engineers switched to substitutes like sugar and caffeine. And sales remain brisk.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 06:50 AM
We seem to be in accord on meta-data.

But I'm not so casual about U.S. national security, and international relations.

How does it benefit the People of the United States to know that our government was spying on German Chancellor Angela Merkel; listening in on her phone calls?
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jun/18/edward-snowden-leaks-grave-threat

Jun 18, 2013 ... Edward Snowden's leaks are a grave threat to US national security ... We do not yet know whether Snowden jeopardized US agents, but ... Snowden's initial leaks on NSA programs also caused substantial political harm ...

We may never know the details of the harm caused.

I've never seen a one-sided coin.
"What is a hero?" SS

A large sandwich?

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 06:19 AM
" he did what was right " t8

On the meta-data issue, perhaps.

You're not concerned about the harm done to our security?

I don't know much about it.

But some experts, head of Homeland Security for example, have suggested what some of what Snowden did set us back 20 years.

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 06:13 AM
Germany to host G-7 summit, Obama to attend, 17,000 "police officers" for the alpine meeting
G-7 Summit: Huge Security Operation Around Castle Elmau, Germany
NBCNews.com - ‎1 hour ago‎

ELMAU, Germany - World leaders including President Barack Obama will be guarded by 17,000 police officers when they arrive high in the southern German Alps for two days of meetings at the G-7 summit this weekend.

a) 17,000 police officers? Are they expecting to need to repel an invasion?

b) Some in the E.U. think Chancellor Merkel wields too much power. Is Germany hosting this G-7 playing into that?

c) It's G-7, not G-8? Does that mean they're keeping Putin out? Punishing him for Crimea, and Ukraine?

d) What do you think the G-7 should concentrate on? If they discuss China, should the argue to more wary of China, due to things like the recent hack of the U.S. government's computer, obtaining personal information of as many as 4,000,000 U.S. government employees?

- or -

Should we do as Secretary Paulson recently suggested, and try to solidify a more constructive relationship with this emerging global power?

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 05:49 AM
"Uh, no. That sectarian hatred has been happening for more than 1000 years." DD

Alright.
"If modern-day westerners think that they can come up with a magical solution to end the sectarian hatred, then they are just fooling themselves." DD

But neither Brooks, nor Biden have suggested that.

Instead, they can continue to hate one another to kingdom come.

BUT !!

a) When the Sunni in the upstairs apartment plays Muslim call to prayer too loud on the stereo, the Shi'ah in the apartment below needn't slit the upstairs guy's throat. He can bang on the ceiling with a broomstick.

b) ISIL absolutely routed the Iraqi military.
Why?
Because Iraqi confidence in central government has eroded, and the Iraqi military members didn't think the weak federal leadership was worth dying for.

BUT !!

If instead of being a single federal force, the Iraqi military were regional militias:
- One for Sunni,
- One for Shi'ah, &
- One for Kurds
instead of cut & run, they'll stand and fight; SO WE WON'T HAVE TO!!

It was never about: " a magical solution to end the sectarian hatred ".

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 05:02 AM
Brooks does a tidy job of summing up what's wrong in Iraq.

But then Brooks mentions a plan Senator Biden (now bereaved Vice President) had to decentralize control; give Iraqis a greater stake in the welfare of their territory.

America’s goal should be to help lower sectarian temperatures so that eventually a moderating dynamic replaces the current brutalizing one. The grand strategy should be to help the two sides separate as much as possible while containing the radicals on each side. The tactic should be devolution. Give as much local control to different groups in different nations. Let them run their own affairs as much as possible. Encourage them to create space between the sectarian populations so that hatreds can cool.

This was the core logic of the Biden/Gelb style decentralization plan, and it is still the most promising logic today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/opinion/the-separation-strategy-on-iraq.html?rref=opinion&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article

The embarrassing rout by ISIL of the Iraqi military was exceedingly costly to the U.S.

Some say a quarter of the U.S. lives lost in our War in Iraq were lost battling for Iraq territory now under ISIL control.

The equipment the Iraqi military abandoned there $cost $U.S. $huge. And now it's in ISIL's hands. Thus it's now costing us $millions $more to blow it up with costly air strikes.

Was Biden right all along?

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 04:40 AM
PS
Body of Boston terror suspect Usaamah Rahim refused by cemetery: report
New York Daily News - ‎1 hour ago‎

The burial of Boston terror suspect Usaamah Abdullah Rahim is being held up - because a local cemetery refused his body. “They wouldn't take him because he was a suspected terrorist,” Abdullah Faruuq, Imam of the Mosque for Praising Allah in Roxbury, ...

This is the suspect LEO claimed charged at them with a knife, and after failing to ground his weapon, was shot dead.

Is the cemetery out of line in this case? Has the deceased been convicted of anything?

I also note, this portion of the report I found does not mention Islam, but does use the word "terror".

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 04:30 AM
Former NSA contractor Snowden had access to lots of delicate information within the U.S. National Security Agency.
Some reports indicate Snowden escalated his concerns to his NSA supervisor, but Snowden's concerns were dismissed.

So Snowden went public with some information that might have been OK; perhaps somewhat akin to The Pentagon Papers.
... Two years on, the difference is profound. In a single month, the N.S.A.’s invasive call-tracking program was declared unlawful by the courts and disowned by Congress. After a White House-appointed oversight board investigation found that this program had not stopped a single terrorist attack, even the president who once defended its propriety and criticized its disclosure has now ordered it terminated.

This is the power of an informed public. ...

We are witnessing the emergence of a post-terror generation, one that rejects a worldview defined by a singular tragedy. For the first time since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, we see the outline of a politics that turns away from reaction and fear in favor of resilience and reason.

Edward J. Snowden, a former Central Intelligence Agency officer and National Security Agency contractor, is a director of the Freedom of the Press Foundation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/opinion/edward-snowden-the-world-says-no-to-surveillance.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

Is Snowden right, that the next gen thought we'd given up too much liberty* for security, and have backlashed? Or is the timing coincidental?

And while it seems Snowden seems to consider himself a hero, what he doesn't mention is, in addition to some legitimate concerns; Snowden also needlessly released much more classified information, that doesn't do individual citizens any good, yet severely harmed our intelligence gathering.

Is Snowden a hero?

* "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

LTme's photo
Fri 06/05/15 03:18 AM
"Your 'contempt' is derailing us from any path towards a solution." JG

Flattering, but I doubt LTme is the cause of unrest in the Middle East.
My comment was both contemptuous and insulting.
Deliberately so.
I don't think mass decapitations, fomenting global terrorism, and burning a man alive while he's trapped in a cage is constructive.

ISIL are metaphorically knuckle-dragging barbarians.
And I strongly suspect they could achieve a geo-political objective more efficiently without the primitive sadism.

I'm a U.S. citizen, but not a xenophobe. I have lived abroad for years; and felt welcome in the foreign lands I lived in.
True to the ancient Latin legal maxim, generally think the best of persons, unless I have a reason to think otherwise.

Having contempt for the contemptible is no shame.
ISIL are thugs.
They rob banks, steal oil, kidnap, destroy priceless irreplaceable artifacts, and murder.
"If I may quote American words: “Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”" JG

FDR had his hands full. There were megalomaniacs in Europe trying to conquer the planet.
Japan put a big fat dent in our Naval inventory.
The quotation you've posted might have settled some nerves back then.
And I'm not advocating fear.
But I don't think self-defense; protecting ourselves and our allies and trading partners is that far out of line.

Do you?

I realize not everyone that wears a turban is an ISIL member.
If my comment offended non-terrorist turban wearers, my apology.
My comment was intended as directed to the bad guys, and I know not every Muslim is in that group, BUT !!!
"With all the mis-information going on about todays Muslims" JG

When a cartoon was published depicting a bomb in Mohammed's turban, the rioting in Islam was so fierce that human life was lost.
Because of a cartoon.
But when the attacks of 09/11/01 occurred, resulting in the mass murder of thousands of innocents; pan Islam took it quite sedately.

Doesn't that seem just about precisely backward to you?

I know of two possible explanations for this.

a) Either Muslims as a group just aren't that fussy about the loss of human life, and think a cartoon is vastly more important.

- or -

b) Many Muslims are rational human beings, but are so terrorized by the numerous terrorists among them, that they cower in silence, despite their humanitarian objection.

Which of those two explanations would you prefer U.S. to accept?
"... under-educated, unemployed and mis-informed Muslims all over the world are looking to 'play' with soft spots in the world as their target." JG

Many Islamist terrorists are quite well educated; some holding advanced degrees, some even doctorate level.
And among these, some are willing to undertake suicide murder missions.

Is that a sensible perspective on how to handle an asset as valuable as a college education?

LTme's photo
Thu 06/04/15 04:52 PM
"looking for Australian women"

Have you checked Australia? I think they've got several over there.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/04/15 04:33 PM
"The Clinton Foundation uses it too. In Liberal speak it's called tinkle down economics." al

IV is right.
We're not going to solve a $500 $Billion $problem w/ $1.2 $M.

Don't hunt bear with a fly swatter.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/04/15 04:13 PM
It's an "interesting" history.
NYC wasn't much interested in "Mayor" Bloomberg.

In his campaign to be elected to the office of Mayor of NYC (a political dead-end) his advisors told Bloomberg how much he'd need to spend to get elected.
They told him.
He did it.
And while I haven't confirmed it, one news report I caught of it indicated Bloomberg spent ~$37.oo per vote to obtain the office.

And it seems, he might not have been that horrid a mayor.

Would he be a good president?

- good question -

LTme's photo
Thu 06/04/15 03:50 PM
"This is a very nasty business... "

Yep.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/04/15 03:21 PM
"Wahhabism is very very very different than your average Sunni." iV
So much so that; ostensibly in adherence to the Holy Qur'an:
"... slay the infidels wherever ye find them..." Holy Qur'an: Sura 9 Verse 5

That Sunni, Shi'ah, and Wahab not only slay atheists.
They'll slay one another; Sunni treating Shi'ah as infidels, etc.

What a cesspool!

NO WONDER they wear diapers on their heads!

LTme's photo
Thu 06/04/15 04:46 AM
It's a sobering regret that as the good book warns, "the love of $money is the root of all evil".
This depraved preoccupation with spamming us blocks us from contacting one another.

Circumventing their greed is fairly easy.
I could spell it out here; but don't want to clear the way to a whole new level of scamming.

BUT !!

Simply posting that should give legitimate e-mailers the necessary insight to evade the obstacles the scammers have created.

LTme's photo
Thu 06/04/15 02:03 AM
"its all BS and a sham. the US creates terrorist networks so we have an excuse to invade other countries and steal their resources" t8

We'll, we're doing a horrid job of it.
We spent $hundreds of $billions if not $Trillions in Iraq, and lost thousands of our troops there; all for the "benefit" of severely destabilizing the region; handing substantial parts of Iraq over to ISIL.
"steal their resources" t8

Did we get so much as a toaster out of the deal; the way we could here by opening a bank account?
And get a look at all the plunder we're getting from Pakistan & Yemen, the locus of our up-tempo predator drone strikes.

The U.S. military invasion / occupation of Iraq was one of the worst U.S. foreign policy blunders in history.

btw:
The Bush administration originally planned to call their U.S. military invasion & occupation of Iraq "Operation Iraqi Liberation".
But when they figured out the acronym, they kept quiet about it.
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq the United States and our allies have prevailed." U.S. President Bush (the younger) May 1, 2003 beneath the "Mission Accomplished" banner supplied by the White House displayed on the ACC U.S.S. Lincoln

What a BUFFOON !!!

LTme's photo
Wed 06/03/15 08:48 AM
How many thousands of innocent U.S. citizens have died as a result of these ostensible lies you assert Obama has made?
" just because you don't agree with the war, doesn't make bush a criminal... " mm

The Bush administration misrepresented the facts.
"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt, that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised."
U.S. President Bush (the younger) televised address to the U.S. March 17th, 2003

How can there be "no doubt" (Bush's exact words) about something that was not true?

And Bush was speaking not merely on behalf of his own administration, but on behalf of multiple allied governments as well.

Bush expressed it as a certitude. And it could not possibly have been.

LTme's photo
Wed 06/03/15 08:08 AM

HOW WOULD YOU SUCCEED AT MARRIAGE?
Tell your wife she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck hit her.
-- Ricky, age 10