Community > Posts By > Blackbird

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:37 AM

Okay so the Ancient Greeks followed Zues and the Romans Jupiter.
We see their RELIGION as myth. So in 1000 years or more will our religion be myth?

dont know about your religion but I figure jews will still be around, heck, we've been here for almost seven thousand years, I guess we can weather another thousand...ohwell

Keep in mind there are isolated revivals of Sumerian followings, and the Hindu and Buhdist faiths have survived for a very long time. All of the wonderful diversity.

I originally did say that I doubted Christianity would become a myth within a mere thousand years, I qualified that the texts would probably exist as long as our race does because there are so many coppies in so many mediums. I simply think that it's face will change drastically.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:32 AM

I'm not an authority but according to authorities there are a lot more books or "texts" covering his teachings, life in general, and the times he lived in including key figures in the whole biblical story.

The apocrypha are not accepted for many reasons.

First, they were rejected by early Christians.
Second, they contradict accepted scripture.
Third, they are fragmentary.
Fourth, very few copies are existing...for most of the apocrypha, we only know the book from fragments.

Ok per your opinion are THOSE the only existing texts of those times? And on what basis were they rejected as invalid? Why does this not support the theory that texts were desrtroyed or lost into obscurity such as suggested on the other thread?

There are no other valid texts concerning the teachings of Jesus Christ, his life, times, or any of the key figures in the bible during his life written during the very long stretch of time it took for the new testament to be written?

Blackbird, I am afraid I can't discuss with you anymore. You are constantly posting strawman fallacies and I don't feel that I should have to wade through that with every response. Case in point: "There are no other valid texts concerning the teachings of Jesus Christ, his life, times, or any of the key figures in the bible during his life written during the very long stretch of time it took for the new testament to be written?" I have corrected you several times on this. The Bible is the only documentation of Jesus' life and teachings. Why do you insist on adding "times" to the list? Of course other documents were produced at that time. But only the Bible offers the lessons Jesus taught. I asked you several times to state which other books you feel have Jesus' teachings in them. You have flat out refused. I cannot waste any more of my time on this pointless discussion.

I'm sorry but that seems a bit reversed. I've mostly asked questions here concerning your statements that I made no claim about other than stating that Authorities elude to more texts about the life of Jesus, the times he lived in (quite appropriate if one wishes to understand the context of the bible), his teachings (which I think we all seem to find interesting and valid) and the key figures in his life. I was even careful to specify documents created during his "times" as loosely defined within the end period of the new testament being created.

You already stated that only the bible contains the lessons Jesus taught, even by your own admissions this would be false. In addition to texts you mentioned, there are texts mentioned by anotherk, and many texts still being found with valid dates of creation. In addition to actual religious books there are historical texts that detail the information about the times including key information about people who had direct interactional influence on his personal life, the state of the Jewish people, the Roman empire occupying the Jewish territory, and other texts.

I'm simply trying to keep up with your statements. If I refuse to offer additional information to someone insulting me or my logic while demaning I look up information for them that I have already provided enough keywords in a private email for them to find themselves without disturbing the public that would rather not hear about it how is that me being wrong in some way? I did point out that the texts do not all support what is said in the Bible and consider it personal choice whether anyone wants to read or have knowledge of them.

This is a discussion, if I am expected to act as your secretary or private fact finder because you can not or do not wish to find information yourself I would ask that you cut me a check or offer fair compensation first.

I'm being as nice as I can about all of this but civil discussion requires all parties to be willing to discuss things reasonably.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:09 AM

Erm...the other thread two questions he brought some up after claiming non existed and then instantly denounced them while still claiming no others exist...Second time he did this I believe.

Wait...what? Yah lost me dear...what other thread? A thread I was on or a different one?

This thread was started in parrallel to Two questions for Christians in which he denounced all texts not contained in the bible as invalid. At first he seemed to think non existed because no historians outside of the bible existed and then recanted saying that some existed but were discounted as contradictory and thus inaccurate.

tried to email you to tell you to leave the G of J and the G of M out of this to avoid causing a heart attack.

Aah...yeah, I had missed that thread somehow. I'll have to hunt it up and take a look at it :) And did my filter catch you? I thought I had fixed it, but maybe not. :P I'll have to take a look. And originally I had...my first post to this (without flipping over to go read it verbatum) had said something about meh from space coming 1,000 years from now and finding a dead planet to which everything would be lore. lmao

Yes but I never have much of interest to say anyway it's ok :)

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:02 AM
Edited by Blackbird on Thu 06/12/08 10:05 AM

Erm...the other thread two questions he brought some up after claiming non existed and then instantly denounced them while still claiming no others exist...Second time he did this I believe.

Wait...what? Yah lost me dear...what other thread? A thread I was on or a different one?

This thread was started in parrallel to Two questions for Christians in which he denounced all texts not contained in the bible as invalid. At first he seemed to think non existed because no historians outside of the bible existed and then recanted saying that some existed but were discounted as contradictory and thus inaccurate.

tried to email you to tell you to leave the G of J and the G of M out of this to avoid causing a heart attack. But alas I'm an old geezer I can't message you :).

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:54 AM

1) Please quote a couple fullfilled Eqyptian prophecies. If they weren't fullfilled, then how do those prophecies support Eqyptian beliefs?

2) Christian history contains a lot of detail, mixed in with their religon. Hindus and Muslims have the same, but their texts mention cities and rulers and people that never existed (as far as archeology can prove), but Christianity has continually been supported by history. One example is that historians didn't believe that crucifixion was done as described in the Bible, until a heel bone was found with a spike through it. This proved that crucifixion was done, but they still doubted it was as common as the Bible implied, since only one example had been found. This mystery is solved by the Talmud, which described a practice where Jews and Romans alike would take the spikes from the hands and feet of the crucified to use as magic talismans.

3) Christianity has a unique history of martyrs. Thousands of Christians went to their death in the arenas of Rome rather than kneel before Ceasar. Christians in many parts of the world are killed for their beliefs to this day. Ex-muslims risk death daily by converting from Islam to Christianity. Christians aren't just believers, they are remarkably willing to die for their beliefs.

4) There is no evidence of the alterations you speak of. The Bible isn't written on stone, it never was. The fact that 24,000 copies exist of the New Testament, when it is written on fragile material is a testament to the sheer number of documents which must have been in circulation.

1. There was the Prophecy of Neferty, but, like any prophecies...they are fully subject to interpretation. Take Nostradamus for example...several of his prophecies could be for several different things, it's based upon interpretation. So, by those standings...prophets from Ancient Egypt could say something and it be used for interpretation by the King.

2. I didn't say that the entire history couldn't be proven or wasn't based in fact, just saying that the Ancient Egyptians have more that can be seen today than Christianity will have 1-2,000 years from now. Speaking more along their pyramids, the sphynx's, remaining buildings, written original texts..etc. As we're speaking of the original question "will today's religions be myth 1000 or more years from now, like we view the religions from ancient civilizations". I was saying that they were just as supported by history as Christianity is, and they still eventually died out and became myth.

3. Again, wasn't saying Christians are not dedicated to their beliefs, was just saying that the Ancient Egyptians were just as dedicated, if not more-so...as their religion dictated every aspect of their lives. Christianity (and some other religions) allow for their followers to break from the mainstream and live their own life. It's not dictated to them and does not control each movement they make. Again...was simply pointing out the similarities between the religions...not saying that Christians are not devote to their faith.

4. I didn't say it was written in stone, but there have been several controversial articles written proclaiming documentation that was never put into the bible that should have been, that was removed by Priests aages ago because it was considered inaccurate. Those documents have since been found missing or still not included in an updated version of the bible or otherwise. The articles I'm making reference to were written about the same time that the Da Vinci Code came out and if you'll give me a moment I'll try to find which magazine I had read them from and provide a link. But again...I was not trying to say anything about Christianity, merely pointing out the similarities and differences between the religions, and using Ancient Egypt documents as example to provide quantity and age, pointing out that the original originals are still available for public viewing...and showing that this civilization's religion still ended up becoming myth and that it is likely (given 1-2,000 years) the same will happen with Christianity and other religions by that point in time.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:46 AM

I'm not an authority but according to authorities there are a lot more books or "texts" covering his teachings, life in general, and the times he lived in including key figures in the whole biblical story.

The apocrypha are not accepted for many reasons.

First, they were rejected by early Christians.
Second, they contradict accepted scripture.
Third, they are fragmentary.
Fourth, very few copies are existing...for most of the apocrypha, we only know the book from fragments.

Ok per your opinion are THOSE the only existing texts of those times? And on what basis were they rejected as invalid? Why does this not support the theory that texts were desrtroyed or lost into obscurity such as suggested on the other thread?

There are no other valid texts concerning the teachings of Jesus Christ, his life, times, or any of the key figures in the bible during his life written during the very long stretch of time it took for the new testament to be written?

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:38 AM
Edited by Blackbird on Thu 06/12/08 09:41 AM

1) Christianity is supported by prophecy.
2) Christianity (and Judaism) is supported by History.
3) Christian believers are usually dedicated to their beliefs.
4) Christianity has a very unusual history of documentation. In terms of the number of existing historical documents, we have more proof that Jesus lived than we do of anyone born before the invention of the printing press. There are close to 100,000 copies of the New Testament, some books dating back to 70 AD. With the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the accuracy of the Old Testament was proved to be unparalleled. A document of that size with hudreds of years seperating the copies and only a few errors were discovered. None of the errors even changed the meanings of the verses.

However, the same could be said for other religions, such as the Ancient Egyptians.

(In reference to your numbered order :smile: )
1. Ancient Egyptians had prophets and prophecies as well, which..in modern-day Christianity, there are no more prophets, unless looking at the Mormon branch of Christianity - in which case they do believe in a Prophet and that he is the mouth of god.

2.Ancient Egyptians are also supported through history, and have a more "scientific" leg to stand on, as much of their culture is still standing, touchable and preserved. Original writings and documentations available to be seen firsthand and read. For Christianity, it can not be proven (such as it can with Egyptian kings and queens, who were considered almost god-like in their stature, hence the pyramids and such to their honor) that Jesus actually lived, aside from the bible. Hence the reason many people have a hard time following the religion (for those wanting scientific proof). As to the religion and deities of the Egyptian gods and goddesses, no...they can't prove that they exist/ed, however we're looking at this from an angle of "1000 years or more from now" and simply comparing the "then civilization" to the "current ancient civilization" and on those terms...no religion can provide "unequivicable proof" that their deity is real. And on those basis...I believe that there is more proveable history for the Egyptians than there will be for Christianity.

3. The Ancient Egyptians were dedicated to their beliefs as well, and in fact, their religion WAS their state and way of life. Religion dictated every movement they made, how they lived, what they did...everything. Now that religion varied King to King, Queen to Queen as they implimented their own personal beliefs into the current beliefs of the time...but, in manner of how they lived...their religion by far played a much more direct role in their daily lives and etc than Christianity does with it's followers.

4. Ancient Egyptians also had a very unusual history of documentation, however...the originals are still intact and readable. Christian documentation has been altered and originals missing, destroyed or shrouded in secrecy to the point that the true existence of the documents could be questioned. And the Egyptian documents date back by 3-6,000 years ago, well before the B.C./A.D. timeline was implemented and used.

The reign of the Ancient Egyptian religious ruling was almost 3,000 years. Based upon that information and given the similarities in culture and etc...it could be said that 1000 years from now will see the end of Christianity as a mainframe religion and 1000 years from then would see Christianity as we see Ancient Egyptians today. Argueably an extreme influence on the people of the time, but outdated and turned into myth and bedtime stories.

1) Please quote a couple fullfilled Eqyptian prophecies. If they weren't fullfilled, then how do those prophecies support Eqyptian beliefs?

2) Christian history contains a lot of detail, mixed in with their religon. Hindus and Muslims have the same, but their texts mention cities and rulers and people that never existed (as far as archeology can prove), but Christianity has continually been supported by history. One example is that historians didn't believe that crucifixion was done as described in the Bible, until a heel bone was found with a spike through it. This proved that crucifixion was done, but they still doubted it was as common as the Bible implied, since only one example had been found. This mystery is solved by the Talmud, which described a practice where Jews and Romans alike would take the spikes from the hands and feet of the crucified to use as magic talismans.

3) Christianity has a unique history of martyrs. Thousands of Christians went to their death in the arenas of Rome rather than kneel before Ceasar. Christians in many parts of the world are killed for their beliefs to this day. Ex-muslims risk death daily by converting from Islam to Christianity. Christians aren't just believers, they are remarkably willing to die for their beliefs.

4) There is no evidence of the alterations you speak of. The Bible isn't written on stone, it never was. The fact that 24,000 copies exist of the New Testament, when it is written on fragile material is a testament to the sheer number of documents which must have been in circulation.

2. Unfortunately this is where I must step in and stop being obtuse long enough to point out the fact that much of the bible is in refute in many ways due to translation problems, missing original text, and ignored texts contradicting or explaining important details. This is all text that you of course denounced on the other thread but is regardless respected by the rest of the world including serious scholars. If you are able to denounce alternate texts as valid then everything you post as being valid about bible texts because of the supposed authenticity of the pages loses all meaning here. It could be simple fabrication, invalid, or meaningless like the rest of the text you have denounced. Either the text of the times did exist in it's entire nature, or not at all. You fail to prove you are god, from the times of the text as a personal witness, or have any way of validating the truth of texts. Asking someone to post the book of the dead, prophecies, ect from the Egyptian history would involve pictures since it was written in hyroglyphics and this is a simple fact everyone knows.

3. The Martyrs you speak of are those that speak AGAINST christianity. For every Christian killed they in turn killed hundreds and thousands out of spite, profit, revenge, or propogation of the religion which is more than just cause for it's roots to be erased much as some of the roots of the Single Egyptian queen was erased for opposing what was considered proper during her lifetime.

4. Unlike your bible much of the Egyptian texts were written in stone, metal, or other mediums so that they would last unchanging for all to see without being edited because they were old and fragile and must be replaced allowing for editing. Since you yourself admited the original coppies seem to not exist you made his point rather well on this.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:29 AM

2. Do you believe that the bible contains the only valid passages about the teachings of Jesus, the world he lived in, and the people he loved written during his times?

When I was a Christian I was taught that the bible contains a valid description of the history of Jesus.

I realize now that they have no basis for their claim.

You ask if the bible contains the only valid passages about the teachings of Jesus.

I ask, "Who can give any evidence that these teachings are historically valid?"

The answer is clear that there is no such evidence. So the church is lying to people when they claim that they are valid descriptions of history because no one can know this.

Even the church should own up to the fact that no one can know if what they are worshiping has any truth or accuracy behind it. In fact, reason dictates that it is more likely to be false than true.

The entire doctrine taken as a whole basically denies its very own proclamations. It contradicts itself radically.

Here is a crystal clear contradiction in the overall doctrine. And we must look at the overall doctrine because the New Testament stands firmly on the shoulders of the Old Testament and is totally meaningless without it. The story of Jesus cannot stand along. Jesus cannot stand on his own two feet by the Bible's own proclamation. It demands that Jesus stand on the shoulder of the God of Abraham. The virgin birth demands it (not to mention a myriad of other things)

But here's the contradiction,...

The bible says that God is unchanging. This is a must because a God who changes is undependable and therefore cannot be relied upon to be the same tomorrow as he was today. So God must be unchanging.

Yet, the Old Testament has God hating the world so much that he drowns out all human civilization save for a hand full of people.

But then the New Testament has God loving the world so much that he gives his only begotten son to be crucified on a cross to save it.

So which is it? Does God love the world or hate it?

The doctrine is self-inconsistent. And therefore it must be discarded as untrue. The church should be ashamed of themselves for not reporting this truth to the people. But then again, does anyone really expect the clergy of such an organized and profitable institution to give up their pointy hats and expensive jewelry? ohwell

Abra as usually you have chosen a hard line to take but I have to acknowledge the pure superior logic noting an evolving rather than stagnant religion. Who knows maybe it changed in other ways as well...

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:16 AM

Please cite sources on the new testament copies were available in 70 AD when the original books were Koine writen originally between 45 and 140 A.D..

Let me explain, I meant "books" of the New Testament, not the New Testament itself. That was my mistake.

You can read a little about the Historicity of the New Testament here: http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6068

The original copy of John is believed to have been written in 70 AD, but the oldest fragment we have is from between 110 AD - 120 AD.

Well that's only about 34 years after his death supposedly for those times I would guess that was pretty immediate so I couldn't have been right about it being written long after the fact my apologies!

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:07 AM

No I meant when you questioned spider was he/she/it lying?

I knew what you meant...
Lie is a rather strong word.

What I know leads me to belief that someone is misinformed I would consider it very dishonest to be posting lies.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:03 AM

Am I being lied too?

Christians don't lie!

Personally I have an unforunate problem I am honest some say to a fault...For this I apologize it just isn't right in a non-christian!

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:59 AM

Glad you finally admited what you think we can now assume the rest of the world will always be invalid by your view. Thank you for saying it publicly this time.

"the rest of the world will always be invalid by your view"...when did I say that? What does that even mean?

I was scratching my head at this too?????????noway noway huh huh

It's very simple Spidercmb stated "he Bible is the only source of the teachings of Jesus. There are the Apocrypha, but they are rejected by almost all scholars as not authentic. They were written largely by Gnostics who had adopted Jesus as a figure in their religion, which predated Jesus' birth. "

I suppose you think that is wrong???noway noway

Word!bigsmile

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:56 AM
Edited by Blackbird on Thu 06/12/08 09:04 AM

We see their RELIGION as myth. So in 1000 years or more will our religion be myth?

Christianity has several unique characteristics, which preclude this from happening.

Name them

1) Christianity is supported by prophecy.
2) Christianity (and Judaism) is supported by History.
3) Christian believers are usually dedicated to their beliefs.
4) Christianity has a very unusual history of documentation. In terms of the number of existing historical documents, we have more proof that Jesus lived than we do of anyone born before the invention of the printing press. There are close to 100,000 copies of the New Testament, some books dating back to 70 AD. With the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the accuracy of the Old Testament was proved to be unparalleled. A document of that size with hudreds of years seperating the copies and only a few errors were discovered. None of the errors even changed the meanings of the verses.

Okay

Please cite sources on the new testament copies were available in 70 AD when the original books were Koine writen originally between 45 and 140 A.D..

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:48 AM

As to your second question, there are over 236 gospels at present count and rising. Many are genuine, some are not. All the 12 apostles and many of those who grew up with Jesus had gospels obviously but only four gospels are in the present bible. Also, there are other prophets in the Hebrew bible who were omitted by senior rabbis who wielded the power to to do even though it was pretty clear to other more prominant and faithful scholars that they were genuine prophets. In any event, the 8 dispensations I mentioned above are adaquately described in the 66 books of the bible that have survived the chopping block.

Thank you for your very thoughtful and interesting reply :)

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:38 AM

Glad you finally admited what you think we can now assume the rest of the world will always be invalid by your view. Thank you for saying it publicly this time.

"the rest of the world will always be invalid by your view"...when did I say that? What does that even mean?

I was scratching my head at this too?????????noway noway huh huh

It's very simple Spidercmb stated "he Bible is the only source of the teachings of Jesus. There are the Apocrypha, but they are rejected by almost all scholars as not authentic. They were written largely by Gnostics who had adopted Jesus as a figure in their religion, which predated Jesus' birth. "

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:35 AM

The bible is a lasting work be it fact or fiction. After selecting texts from those available they chose to include in the bible much of the opposing or alternate text was hidden, destroyed, or ignored.

Once this was implimented for hundreds of years the Christian armies destroyed a large portion of anything it could get it's hands on regarding any religion other than the one true religion to stomp out any other belief system. This is documented fact.

Will Christianity be a myth? Unlikely....but in it's present form it will be a myth. You can stand assured that the bible will likely exist in some form so long as human kind originating from earth does.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:25 AM

1. Do you worship your God as you understand him from reading the Bible and consider the book a tool for the message being passed on by man, or do you consider the bible to be a divine cornerstone of Christianity. If you think it's holy in some way that is fine, but the distinction is do you hold it as a holy symbol, or an idol to worship and follow?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto good works.

The Bible explains to us what God wants us to know about him and teaches lessons about life and spirituality. Nobody worships the Bible, but all Christians give it different levels of reverence. I think the Bible is very important as it is the foundation of Christianity.

2. Do you believe that the bible contains the only valid passages about the teachings of Jesus, the world he lived in, and the people he loved written during his times?

The Bible is the only source of the teachings of Jesus. There are the Apocrypha, but they are rejected by almost all scholars as not authentic. They were written largely by Gnostics who had adopted Jesus as a figure in their religion, which predated Jesus' birth.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:17 AM

Um, is there an option #3, none of the above?

Sure, if you are Christian or follow Christ, what is it you think? By simple I meant let's avoid going to completely different subjects.

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:11 AM
Simple please this subject line has already been abused and I am trying to get to the bottom of this.

1. Do you worship your God as you understand him from reading the Bible and consider the book a tool for the message being passed on by man, or do you consider the bible to be a divine cornerstone of Christianity. If you think it's holy in some way that is fine, but the distinction is do you hold it as a holy symbol, or an idol to worship and follow?

Blackbird's photo
Thu 06/12/08 07:53 AM

Are you suggesting then, that being "sentient" does not mean that you have a soul and that you can be "sentient" and still not be "alive" or have a "soul?" Does being sentient require having a will?

I'm glad you caught that, but I'm completely without surprise the guys missed it and you caught it. If you will note I originally stated I would use blanket terms as I have tried to do in most of these forums so that everyone can easily agree even if we disagree we are on the same page. One debate has been over the course of time the sentience and the possession of souls in animals. Most agree even if they can not talk animals are sentient, but because most can not talk or for religious reasons many consider them without souls. I was claryfying this point as unknown to prevent a wild speculation debate beyond anything any of us can answer even theoretically.

No, and yes in order. Let me explain but this is a matter for speculation or debate...
I can not speak in Authority whether animals have souls or we have souls. I believe we do, and i believe they do, but my belief is not shared by all so I find that a matter for speculation.

Yes I believe sentience requires will. The reason is that will is what creates the sentience per my view. The will to define oneself which has been the plight of all creatures on earth. A dog chooses it's behavior sets in spite of training based on it's temperment. Regardless of placement a Cat will often choose it's owner or "best friend" in human beings.

Cats of different species put together in the same house will form a pride with it's own pecking order sometimes observing gender order and sometimes ignoring gender based on the free will of each cat, their interactions, and their feelings about each other. I've seen a pride of cats set up a trap for a tom that outweighed all of them by having the male go out, and lure it in, only to have the male reach safety and the tom was surrounded and torn apart by the females in spite of this being against all cat behavior sets known. This constitutes will without actually proving anything has a soul.

I do believe the creation could assert and prove it's own sentience, but we would be unable to force this demonstration. Problems in proof lie among other things in being able to snapshot the current programming in the creation and examining the orignal code to verify that it was unable to lead to it's proof of sentience. In other words, the creation would have to form it's own behavior sets and write them into programming, and then assert itself as a being to be considered sentient per my humble opinion only theorizing.

Unplugging killing versus coma...depends on whether memory was static doesn't it?

This was observed and suggested in that movie prior to any knowledge of the Robot being sentient which is interesting within itself. I suppose a distinction was that the robots had a tendency to huddle together for unknown reasons. The Sentient robot asserted itself, and sought things for itself which constitutes free will because these desires theoretically were outside of it's original programming.