Community > Posts By > iUse2B

iUse2B's photo
Wed 04/30/08 01:44 PM

Everyone says honesty. Just once I'm waiting to see someone say "Oh baby, lie to me, PLEASE!"

noway laugh laugh laugh laugh flowerforyou

Dam* good point!!! drinker drinker drinker

iUse2B's photo
Wed 04/30/08 01:41 PM
Edited by iUse2B on Wed 04/30/08 01:43 PM
OK..ok..will try for this one in one word... INTIMACY (and NOT referring to sex guys!) bigsmile

(if you don't know the real defintion, you may want to look it up) flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Wed 04/30/08 01:38 PM

Ok so what is a relationship to you? what do you people want out of a relationship?

Hmm..a very broad question. can you narrow it down to at least an address, or zipcode..or even a state would help. noway laugh flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Wed 04/30/08 12:31 PM
Edited by iUse2B on Wed 04/30/08 12:36 PM

What you’re suggesting here is certainly not knew. The Amish have been doing it for centuries, and there are also non-religious self-sufficient communes as well as many self-sufficient individuals.

I did basically what you are talking about myself, in the 1970’s. I quite my high-paying job in the city to move to the country and live off the land. I didn’t bother with fishing and hunting in the wild so much, instead I raised chickens for eggs and meat, bees for honey, and grew large gardens. I became mostly a vegetarian with an occasional chicken dinner. And of course, I had eggs pretty much everyday.

I grew all the food for the chicken, my horses (which I used for farming) and even my dogs! Dog’s can actually be made to become vegetarians. laugh They love zucchini! At least mine did. And they ate a lot of chicken eggs too since I had more than I could eat myself.

But you’re right, the neighbor’s thought I was being ‘backward’. And living like that is a full-time job in and of itself, so trying to work for income and keep up a self-sufficient homestead is not easy. I did work part-time here and there because money was an absolute necessity if for no other reason than to pay property taxes, etc.

I lived like that for about 5 years. It was a nice lifestyle, but I was also all alone and women weren’t too anxious about becoming involved with a many who only has an occasional part-time job. They viewed the lifestyle as being ‘financially insecure’, which is absurd. Because most people who have full-time jobs are in debt so far that if they lost their job tomorrow they’d be up a creek without a paddle or a boat! Their financial ‘security’ is an empty façade that only appears to have substance when it fact it does not.

Anyway, I finally ‘gave in’ to the pressures of society. Part of that was because I broke my leg and couldn’t work the farm very well anyway and so I took the opportunity to go to college on a grant.

So I ended up back in the rat-race. Eating at fast-food joints, driving a costly automobile, etc, etc, etc.

It really is a trap because by the time you keep up a car, and buy all the necessary wardrobe to participate in society, pulsing buying all your food at grocery stores, you’re financially bankrupt enough that it forces you to work just to make the money to be able to pay to stay in that predicament. laugh

I much prefer the back-to-basics lifestyle. It’s closer to nature and far more rewarding. This is the way all of civilization should live. I’m currently retired and trying to get back into a more self-sufficient lifestyle again. But now I’m having physical health problems that are making it not so easy.

For it to really work well, it needs to be done on a family level (like the Waltons), and it’s even much better if the whole community lives like that, then neighbor can help neighbor and it makes it easer to barter things.

But don’t let my story discourage you. Many people have succeeded in making a self-sufficient lifestyle pan out in the long haul. Maybe I didn’t move far enough into the boonies. Also, if you can find a like-minded partner that would be a huge plus, because where there’s love anything is possible. :wink:

I did really enjoy the 5 years I lived like that, even though I was "alone", I didn't feel alone with all my animals. But I did feel alienated from society to a large degree. frown

Some very good points. And you are correct about the 'family' and "community".

So many have lost certain core values and traits now and they have lost them at an incredible pace! Just think only 100 years ago! 1908! the car was barely invented, no airplanes flying, most forms of transportation was still horse and buggy! ONLY 100 YEARS AGO! Thats like a BLINK!

Now we have MILLIONS of IDIOTS that can;t even count back change unless the computer/register tells them how much!

You mention the Amish, well yes they do, but thier motivation is religious reasons for the most part. But they are a good example on how it is done.

Look in most 3rd world countries, they still live that way today. Including our neighbor Mexico.

I made my change for one simple reason..to do my part in conserving the resources for the future generations. I have more than ample means and am set financially for the rest of my life. So I don't do it to save money. I do it to put action behind my words. I walk the walk, not just talk the talk. flowerforyou

And as far as what others think? I could not care less. Most are idiots in the true sense of the word, so why would I care what an idiot thinks anyway? huh

If more people would think and become less self involved and think about things as a "community", then we would not have such a crisis around the corner like we face now.

Those who are worth helping are those trying to help themselves and others. flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Wed 04/30/08 09:33 AM
drinker drinker laugh laugh laugh flowerforyou flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Wed 04/30/08 09:14 AM

Very well put, and thank you. The main reason I am moving to the middle of nowhere is I am sick to death of society and their views. I am so sick and tired of people coming up to me and telling em what I can and can not do, because I am renting somewhere, ot because there is a committee of neighbors who don;tl ike something (like having a clothesline for drying laundry in the summer months instead of using gas or electricity).

I am sick of neighbors calling protective services, because they don't like the fact that I will tell them off if they are rude or antagonistic towards me. Or because they dont like the idea of a father having sole custody of his children(I have had both happen).

I totally understand! I have spent the last almost 18 years dealing with IDIOTS (used in the truest sense of the word) Spending half my days doing OTHER people's jobs that THEY are getting paid for!

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT perfect, nor in the same STATE as perfect. I make lots of mistakes too, but I fix my own! I should not have to take what time I have left doing someone elses job that they are gettong a paycheck for.

And right now, the American society is about to collapse and will. There is simply no getting around it now. I did a post of what Glenn Beck had to say.

The American people have done this to themselves. As my mother told me growing up.. "if you're not going to listen..you're going to feel". Basically it meant if you are not even smart enough to listen to good advise, you will suffer your own consiquences.

I HATE to see this country fall apart. It use to be a place of HONOR and DIGNITY. Now its a JOKE!

Nothing I can really do about it now, so I just prepared for whats coming down the train track. Trains do NOT turn and this one is coming down at 100 mph fully loaded. I simply had sense enough to get off the track..walk away so I don't get hit by all the flying debris. I have warned people over and over, but they have the mentality of "oh that would never happen".

Oh well, when the sh*t hits the fan, that should at least weed out the cattle (people who don't use thier brains)and the world will recycle as it always has. Those who are survivors will continue on. flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 07:33 PM
Edited by iUse2B on Tue 04/29/08 07:33 PM

One of my friends told me that they heard on the radio that stores are going to be limiting the amount of rice each person can buy.

Has anyone else heard this?

I went to the gas station today. Ugh.

I went to the grocery store today. I was very surprised to find that the cost of the food had risen so much. It didn't feel very good.

Yes the story on the rice limitation has been going on over a week now. flowerforyou

What have you heard about it? I only know the little bit of what a friend verbally told me. When I went to the store, there was a sale on rice.

I honestly do not know all the details. I really did not read up on that subject, just seen the headlines posted like "Stores limiting rice quantity purchases" etc. You should be able to find it easily, last I seen the subject I THINK was on cnn.com. flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 07:28 PM

This ship was made to sink.

Most Americans have little to no understanding of how the monetary system works. The Federal Reserve, which prints our money, is as federal as Federal Express. It is a privately owned, run for profit, bank who's owners are kept private. They control the strength or weakness of the dollar by determining how much of it to print and then lend to the US government with interest. They determine the interest rates and when payment needs to be made. Bankers used similar tactics as they are now to obtain business' or rival banks for pennies on the dollar by artificially inflating the economy with low interest debt causing short-term growth. Following this is the stage of debt deflation where massive amounts of people are in debt and have trouble paying it back which in turn cuts consumer spending leading to layoffs and the failure of some businesses. We are at the beginning of a similar stage as what happened during the Great Depression. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

On November 12, 1864 Abraham Lincoln said, "I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country... Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."

The Federal Reserve Act of 1913 was the final stage of what Lincoln was referring to and what our founding fathers revolted against.

Can you link the quote please?? Can't find it. bigsmile flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 07:23 PM

One of my friends told me that they heard on the radio that stores are going to be limiting the amount of rice each person can buy.

Has anyone else heard this?

I went to the gas station today. Ugh.

I went to the grocery store today. I was very surprised to find that the cost of the food had risen so much. It didn't feel very good.

Yes the story on the rice limitation has been going on over a week now. flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 06:17 PM
Ummmmm..not to be picky..but could everyone please consider "QUOTE EDIT"??? Just easier to keep up with a thread is all. Just a suggestion. bigsmile flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 06:14 PM
Get ready for the "free for all"!! This train has been headed this way for a LONG time. Going to be a LOT of people caught on the tracks...and a train cannot turn folks..and its running 100 mph fully loaded. noway huh

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 06:05 PM

Sharing, love, and helping. That's what life is about. And it should be that way. Even if it means sacrifice. Selflessness should be a virtue. My laundry list is long. I've helped many freinds and strangers. It is the way I live. Its called a big heart. May your God bless and keep all of you.

drinker drinker drinker drinker drinker drinker

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 06:01 PM

ok first off I would like to state that I myself have never really encompased and have love for the city, but life is
never perfect and one always has to put up with things he or she doesn't like. But where childeren are involved practical conculsions must be made. I would point out that there are some things that one can practice wherever he lives -- things like simplicity, frugality, etc.. You can practice many of these things without moving to the country. I believe in good common sense and practical mindedness. There are some things about the idea of living self-sufficiently out in the country that I have questions about simply because as stated there are childern involved. The main one relates to health care. How are you going to deal with medical needs? Do you dare to go without it? Sooner or later we all have need for doctors and health care.Even if you live by a healthy lifestyle, seem very healthy, and then, out of the blue, suddenly have some ailment or problem, or one of your children does. I have seen enough of life to believe that it happens to essentially all of us. We are all probably genetically predisposed to some kind of ailment or another. And if it requires operations and hospitalization ? What then?? I consider this to be a very serious question and something to give thought to.I do not recommend that anyone embark on a self-sufficient lifestyle out in the country without careful and serious thought. I still dislike the system just as much as I ever have but one must be practical. right?

I don't think anyone will argue on that, nor is anyone saying that he cannot utilize many things, like a hospital. I don;t think there are any areas where you do not have access to those things within an hours drive or so. It's not like he is moving away where the closest town is a 10 hour drive.

I think (and just my opinion) that he is listing these things showing that in the hard times ahead, he will at least be more prepaired than most are and less dependent on other "services".

For example, if there is a power outage here...my lights are still burning bright. If the power went out for a week, it would not phase me one bit. But the poeple around me would start to feel that hit. And I don;t live out in the middle of nowhere..actually quite the opposite.

I simply just decided to prepare myself for the upcoming crisis in America. I seen it coming years back. I just posted a long article done by Glenn Beck. Just as he said..its coming folks and there is no stopping it. The American people brought it on themselves. But at least now I won;t have to pay for thier own stupidity (Glenn Beck used the word stupidity..I think its very accurate) flowerforyou

So let "the ****tith hittith the fannith" (this is a pic post from another JSH) I'm ready! drinker bigsmile flowerforyou flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 05:48 PM
Only going to list ONE, it's a very special one in my heart. About 10 years ago (my son was 10 is how I remember) I met a woman in a chatroom. She lived in Tampa and had a son who was the same age as my own (10).

Her son's name was Micheal and he had cancer. Micheal's b-day rolled around so I sent down some b-day gifts and Micheal and I was able to become friends. A couple of months later Micheal took a turn for the worst and his condition became more serious. So I asked his mother, ask Micheal if there was anyone in this world he could talk to, who would it be? Micheal told her two names of players from the Tampa Bay Bucs.

So I made a couple of phone calls and and the Tampa bay Bucs were GREAT! It took a few weeks, but BOTH players showed up to visit with Micheal! His mother took pics and sent them to me.

Micheal passed away a couple of months later at age 11. But I still remember the smile on his face! :cry: bigsmile brokenheart

(RIP Micheal) flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 04:58 PM

glasses it sucksfrown

LOL..Mirror! Now when have you EVER found that to be a BAD thing!!!??? noway :tongue: laugh laugh laugh drinker

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 04:57 PM

Interdependence is and ought to be as much the ideal of man as self-sufficiency. Man is a social being.

LOL, you don't have to be anti-social to be able to be a conservationist. All a conservationist does is "conserve resources". So has absolutely nothing to do with social interaction or behaviors. bigsmile flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 04:53 PM

try to learn to trap game. once you do that, you can fence in what you catch and no longer have to hope you can find them in the wild.

LOL..yep, trapping is pretty easy...until your rabbit traps get filled with skunks. noway :tongue: laugh laugh drinker

I use to have that happen a lot in the fall with rabbit traps.laugh

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 04:52 PM

That is great Daniel, wish I could do the same.

Dragoness...why can't you?? You may not be able to move, but the use of certain things, like solar/wind..can be a great help these days, even in the city. flowerforyou

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 04:50 PM

My main problem was coming up withthe intitial money for the move, and beginning. Thanks to my kids government checks though from their mothers disability, I pretty much have it all set aside now to start. And no one can tell me that I am not using that money in their best interest by doing any of this. We are GOING to be in just as bad a depression as we were in the thirties, if not worse, and I intend on being prepared for it.

Once again, I appaud your COMMON SENSE!! drinker drinker

I understand the initial cost factor, however, if needed you should actually even borrow that if you must, because it will actually pay for itself in a SHORT amount of time!

With the cost of fuels and energy now, solar and wind pay for themselves VERY QUICKLY and are VERY SIMPLE to install/use.

This change along with CONSERVATION can even escalate your benefits even more in so many ways..not just money! You will also be teaching your children EXTREMELY VALUABLE things in LIFE that most kids will never learn today.

So your plans are WISE and hand those things down to your children and your entire family will be able to benefit from YOU!!! drinker drinker drinker

iUse2B's photo
Tue 04/29/08 04:41 PM
Edited by iUse2B on Tue 04/29/08 04:42 PM
Well damn good! About time to see someone else doing SOMETHING for themselves! drinker drinker drinker

I already switched over to solar over a year ago. Cut down fuel and utility costs by at least 63%. I use mass transit whenever my schedule allows (which is often) plus the walks/runs are good exercise.

I am debt free, therefore the economy can collapse without me having a worry.

So I am with you brother, just a little further ahead of the game, only because I seen this coming sooner and prepared. but you will make it and you are making a VERY SMART MOVE!!! Always great to see someone use thier BRAINS these days..its so rare anymore. drinker drinker drinker flowerforyou