Community > Posts By > Seamus

no photo
Wed 01/06/21 06:44 AM
It's always good to be discriminating in what you choose to watch :slight_smile:. It's certainly true that science reporting in the media has declined drastically in quality over the last ten to twenty years, along with their output on most subjects.
I quite like the vids of the German Physicist Sabine Hossenfelder, they are usually quite entertaining and informative.

no photo
Wed 01/06/21 04:58 AM
Lockdown 3: it's getting more Draconian and Police State day by day.

Lockdown laws revealed: Police WILL stop people 'with no good reason to have left home', fine groups over two and issue on the spot £200 penalties for mask flouters - as forces say officers should be able to FORCE entry into homes.

no photo
Wed 01/06/21 04:01 AM
I think it's certainly fair to say that, even in developed countries with what would be considered a post-enlightenment "scientific" world-view, people often only have a very vague understanding of these subjects.

no photo
Wed 01/06/21 02:21 AM
1c (feels like -3c). Rising to 3c and falling to -3c overnight.
Some sunshine, with a light 10kph NE wind and a 20% chance of rain/snow this evening.

no photo
Tue 01/05/21 10:50 AM
Edited by Seamus on Tue 01/05/21 10:55 AM
Yes, it's surprising just how much "science" that's not grounded in actual engineering is speculative, best theory only or based on abstract mathematical models and often all three at once.

no photo
Tue 01/05/21 10:19 AM
Men looking for intimate encounters are often actively ignored by the majority of women here, so you might like to reconsider that part of your profile.

no photo
Tue 01/05/21 09:48 AM

I’m not surprised. It’s probably taken you the best part of a week to take down your Christmas decorations laugh

Lmao actually the only thing I have managed to get down is the decorations off the tree... Have not even got the lights off or taken it down yet... seems I've caught a bug that has taken my energy...

Get well soon TG :bouquet:.

no photo
Tue 01/05/21 08:46 AM
I also agree. Years ago the BBC Science program "Horizons" was informative without being speculative. Now, or at least until I gave up on watching television, its become a forty five minute program, forty minutes of which was flashy graphics with about five minutes of actual information, most of which I was already aware of.

no photo
Tue 01/05/21 03:50 AM
Yes. Mostly Sinological journals and books but also some theoretical physics, Roger Penrose is my favourite, although much of the maths is beyond me.

no photo
Tue 01/05/21 02:18 AM
1c (feels like -3c) rising to 3c and falling to -2c overnight. Partially cloudy, with a light 13kph NE wind and a 50% chance of snow this evening.

no photo
Mon 01/04/21 04:06 PM
So is it still too early to congratulate Kamala Harris for becoming the first female president of the U.S.A?

no photo
Mon 01/04/21 12:31 PM
That's about what I've gathered from various news sources, that whatever various governments have done, the results have been much the same apart from the amount of suffering and distress piled on people.
Clearly, "lockdowns" and restrictions on movement have failed to control the spread of Covid-19 and why would they? Unless you live in an Hermetically sealed room with its own filtered air supply, it's an airborne virus and very few people can avoid coming into contact with it as they venture fearfully out to supermarkets where everybody is allowed.
I think it was Albert Einstein who remarked that at least one definition of insanity was "Repeating the same actions time after time but expecting a different result".

no photo
Mon 01/04/21 10:44 AM
Boris Johnson widely expected to impose another lockdown to last several months, with only "essential" journeys allowed and one hour exercise outside.
So, after decades of closing Hospitals and cutting staff by governments of both major parties, it's finally come back to bite them with a pandemic. Naturally, there comes a point where any medical service wouldn't be able to cope but this is a mostly self-inflicted injury in my opinion.

no photo
Mon 01/04/21 04:03 AM
2c (feels like -2c). Rising to 4c and falling to 0c overnight. Partially cloudy, with a light 16kph NE wind and a 40% chance of rain/snow this evening.

no photo
Sun 01/03/21 11:56 AM
Edited by Seamus on Sun 01/03/21 11:58 AM
As I understand it, many vaccinations are mandatory for N.H.S. staff, so I expect that the Covid-19 vaccine will also be mandatory.
In the U.K. the government wants to vaccinate thirty one million of the most vulnerable people. However, they are so incompetent, that at the current rate it will take them until the end of December 2022 to achieve this. Naturally, this is worst than useless because unless all of these people receive two doses of vaccine within three months it will be just a huge waste of money for no effect.
While the vaccine might have been rushed through and accordingly is reported to have many serious side-effects all conspiracy theories tend to be absurd because they require governments to be ultra-competent, which is far from the case, as is obvious.
I don't think that there's any need for a vaccine against this particular virus but that's my choice.

no photo
Sun 01/03/21 04:30 AM
Certainly. I practiced yoga when I was considerably younger and experienced all the major results ( Samadhi, Dhyana etc) and most of the minor ones. These experiences change you forever.

no photo
Sun 01/03/21 04:13 AM
Yes it's quite a view, facing directly East. Out the back of the terrace is the road that comes up from the valley, a retaining wall and a thirty to forty foot cliff with a farm on the top. I really enjoy living here :slight_smile:.

no photo
Sun 01/03/21 03:42 AM
I've uploaded a pic into my profile pics that shows what I can see out of my front door today. You'll see what I mean about the height above the valley :slight_smile:.

no photo
Sun 01/03/21 03:00 AM

Delightful, is there generally a big difference in weather between S Scotland and the northern parts? Is it really like having 4 seasons in one day up there?

It depends where you are I suppose. Rural Scotland and the Highlands are generally colder in Winter but I'm in the Pennines here, generally very high and exposed all year round. I live on a raised terrace along the side of the valley, so there's a difference of between a week and a fortnight in the same things flowering along the floor of the valley and in my tiny garden. And yes, you do often get the four seasons in one day effect :slight_smile:.

no photo
Sun 01/03/21 02:53 AM
1c (feels like -2c). Rising to 4c and falling to 1c overnight. Partially cloudy, with a light 11kph NE wind and a 50% chance of rain in the early afternoon.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25