Community > Posts By > Thoreau

Thoreau's photo
Tue 12/17/19 10:46 AM
Epic Music Mix - Best of World of Warcraft (orchestral)

(background noise while working)

Thoreau's photo
Sun 12/15/19 09:55 AM
Christmas At Ground Zero
The Night Santa Went Insane

Both by Weird Al Yankovich. :D

From the more traditional selections, it would likely be Frosty the Snowman sung by Burl Ives.

Thoreau's photo
Fri 12/13/19 11:01 AM
A lot of people in the office have been sick lately, so there's a lot of sneezing going on. Of course folks have to say "Bless you" in response.
So after about the 4th or 5th bless you today I quipped back;
"With all the blessings around here you'd think this was a church."
____

Best vanity car plate seen this year.
Newer model yellow VW Bug. Vanity plate= SPLAT

Thoreau's photo
Fri 12/13/19 07:15 AM
Two farmers were standing across the fairway from the bathrooms after a vegetable eating contest. One farmer looks at the other as they observed the people entering and leaving and says, "Yup. The beet moves on."
______

My kid and I were driving up through the Willamette Valley one summer afternoon and passed by a bunch of the large field sprinklers irrigating the grazing fields for dairy cows. The sun was hitting the spray causing a myriad of rainbows and I pointed them out to my kid; "Hey look, a rainbow field."

"Pretty."

"Yup. But I'd not want to be in that water. It's got poop mixed in it," I said.

"Must be unicorn poop since it makes rainbows," was the immediate retort.

Thoreau's photo
Sun 12/08/19 08:59 AM
A bunch of punny bad jokes based on RPGs. (It was a very slow day at the office and I got bored!) ;)

What is the most explosive monster combination in the game?
Hydra+Djinn

Why did the minotaur go bankrupt?
Because he kept charging things.

What's Medusa's favorite cheese?
Gorgonzola.

Why don't giants play sports?
They keep getting athletes in their feet.

What is the sleepiest monster living?
Yuan-ti

What is the most popular business profession amongst gnomes?
Show business. There's gnome-business like it.

Why do adventurers not raid tombs during winter?
Too much danger of a wight out.

Why do most undead go barefoot?
They have no souls.

What monster is the most alarming?
The Siren!

What is the 80's song that incorporeal undead really HATE!?
Can't Touch This!

What do you name a band where all the members are Doppelgangers?
The Pretenders!

Thoreau's photo
Fri 12/06/19 06:24 PM
ROFL

Funny as heck. But I'm gonna have to call fowl on the warden. :p

Thoreau's photo
Fri 12/06/19 04:19 PM
A true story from when I was a young teenager some 40 years ago and my family still lived on our small hobby farm.

We had a young lady a few years older than me staying with us a few months until HS graduation when she would follow her mom whom had moved out of state a couple weeks before. One evening, we had a big family dinner with a large ham and all the fixin's, I don't remember a reason for it but pretty sure there wasn't any special occasion involved.

So here we are sitting around the table enjoying the meal and the young lady paused to ask my father a question before she started loading her plate up with a second helping.
"Hey Don. Is this pig meat or cow meat?"
My dad looked at her with grin and answered;
"If it squeals when you stick it, it's pig meat. If it moos then it's cow meat."
The young lady tittered a bit at the teasing while I decided that the opportunity for a prank had just presented itself on a golden platter.

She picked up the large meat fork and stuck it into the sliced ham...and I made a LOUD squeal that sounded exactly like a real stuck pig (my voice broke mid-squeal adding to the realism; puberty sometimes cooperates)!

She screamed, jumped back dropping her plate and tossing the fork before falling on her butt on the floor. Dad blew milk out his nose; my sister did the mashed potato spit-take, and mom started choking on her food. My brother and I fell off our chairs laughing. Took us about 15 minutes before everyone was able to stop laughing and a full round of really sore ribs. Poor girl was blushing so hard the part in her hair looked like a thermometer in summer.

The payback later was still totally worth the prank!

Thoreau's photo
Fri 12/06/19 04:06 PM
It isn't so much a red shift as it is a prism-like effect. Light has to travel through more atmosphere which causes a scattering effect. At night you also have cooling temps causing condensation in the atmosphere which makes the air a bit denser per se and you get a greater degree of scatter towards the lower end of the spectrum. Generalized concept at any rate.

Thoreau's photo
Thu 12/05/19 10:18 PM
I tend to do hand drawn maps for table top RPG stuff, writing for same, doodles of fantasy and sci-fi critters these days. Used to paint mini-figs and make star ships and such out of plastic and wood bits. Nothing fancy...but nothing totally junk either.

Thoreau's photo
Thu 12/05/19 10:07 PM
A few thoughts from over the decades;

• In a lonely world of silence a smile becomes a symphony.

• Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us.

• No society can thrive when it puts more money, effort, and emotion into its vices rather than its virtues.

• The eyes may be the window to the soul but the heart is the tour guide.

• They say there is time for anything, but time is gone in seconds.

• A civilization only advances by overcoming adversity, not rationalizing their failure to do so.

• The problem with science trying to explain everything in life; It leaves us with less wonder to wonder about.

Thoreau's photo
Thu 12/05/19 09:56 PM
Spice and Wolf is one of the best anime out. Rise of the Shield Hero and That Time I was resurrected as a Slime are good fun too. Most of the newer stuff though just falls flat when compared to the classics like Tenchi Muyo, Slayers, Macross, etc. It just feels like the studios were focused on telling the story rather than fitting as many volumes as possible into a 12 ep. season on a limited budget like they do now. :( Which is a shame 'cause there've been some good stories adapted that the studios have absolutely ruined that way; or by re-writing the dialogue when translating and turning the anime into a totally different story. (I'm looking at you F*****tion!)

Stuff like DB, Bleach, Naruto, Pokemon, and what are popular for some reason; seems like they just are there to sell merch. cause there really isn't much to them than cool power effects and fighting. Never been able to pay attention to them past an episode or two because of that.