Community > Posts By > fobroth

fobroth's photo
Fri 03/25/11 05:32 AM
msharmony for the win- circle gets the square. Good job!

fobroth's photo
Fri 03/25/11 05:23 AM
At the risk of coming off as a dick and your taking offense;
The time you've spent installing all those linux distros might have been better used working with one or two distros, learning the ropes and making them your own. I think, with that knowlege, you are better equipped to hop around and make a final decision as to what distro you land upon. After all, the kernel and software we use is all the same stuff, no matter what distro you use. Sure, the different distros have their own little tweaks and mods, but with a little bit of real working knowlege you can make any distro work like the next.
Again, I don't mean to offend. Just slow down and smell the roses.
I say, start with one of the big ones* and just learn for a while. (give it a good few months)

* Slackware, debian, gentoo, sabayon, suse, mandriva...

fobroth's photo
Thu 03/17/11 06:10 PM
Just a little personal website?
Not that I have experience but there are a bunch of low-cost hosting sites. godaddy comes to mind (are they still around?)
My ex-wife started a site of her own and there were on-site tools for her to use to build her pages. She'd asked me for help with something, once, and the interface seemed fairly straightforward. I don't remember the host, though. Sorry.
Another tool is joomla. I used to edit for a guy that used joomla and that was pretty slick. Powerful but easy to use. He'd set me up with admin permission but I didn't want the responsibility, so I demoted myself to editor- I could edit text but couldn't add or remove the actual content- pretty slick!

Don't forget to give us your address when you get it online!

fobroth's photo
Thu 03/17/11 05:38 PM
Interesting...
I fed 'lexical fingerprint' to a search engine that didn't turn up any tools but did show that the idea is out there (on a quick look)
There are free lexical analyzers for linux. I suppose one could interpret the ouput for themselves or apply/ pipe through a bayesian filter for some stats, like what a spam filter does.
I'll try to remember to take a look through my software manager for something and let you know what I find, if somebody else doesn't come to the rescue.

Honestly, though, if both writings walk like a duck and the author has lied about being a duck...

This is where I get in trouble-
Or ask a woman. They suck at mind reading but are relatively uncanny at the 'gut feeling'. Trust the creamy gut.

fobroth's photo
Thu 03/17/11 04:42 PM
Edited by fobroth on Thu 03/17/11 04:51 PM
I had to look up caos linux, too. (where do you find all this stuff?!) Their webpage says they are geared toward servers, which would explain why there was no gui to click around in.

Was there something in particular you were looking for from your mega distro hoppage?

fobroth's photo
Sat 03/12/11 04:14 PM
And a friend gave me this little averatec thing. It has windohs 7 on it. I fired it up a little after 3 this aft to check it out. After some updates, reboots and a virus scan, an hour (I'm being generous) later it was time to shut it off and return to my version of sanity. Next time I turn it on, maybe I'll be able to play some solitaire on it. Whew!

fobroth's photo
Fri 03/11/11 07:36 AM
For even more cleverness, try http://www.cleverbot.com/

fobroth's photo
Fri 03/11/11 07:26 AM
Edited by fobroth on Fri 03/11/11 07:29 AM
huh

I was being a crumb. Definations isn't a word.

fobroth's photo
Thu 03/10/11 02:09 AM
The cool thing is that your cat set him up a profile... unless you did that yourself. That would be lame. He had no input.

fobroth's photo
Thu 03/10/11 01:37 AM
So, you're done screwing up your hard drives? Very good! You're either ready to land on a preferred distro or you're still so far out there that running offn usb thumb drives is the only answer. rofl
Too bad we aren't situated to meet for coffee. I bet we could learn each other a thing or two.

You said in another thread that you'd read that fluxbox was intended for old machines. They are mistaken. Fluxbox is intended to be light on resources and fast. My mythbox has fluxbox. It has a quad core cpu. It could probably do the big-*** bloated KDE without bogging down too much.
Fluxbox is different- like there isn't a 'start' button like the windohs (or gnu copycats) has. There isn't a 'desktop', unless you want one etc. It's not for everybody. I guess some people like to look at a desktop with widgets and crap, others open apps and look at those.

But what are you worried about hard drives for? You're up to, what, 5TB,now? huh Soon as I get a SDD I'm posting a big brag, suckah!

drinker

fobroth's photo
Thu 03/10/11 12:19 AM

I had to fix my panel. I would minimize the window and it would just disappear. I had to put the window list back in.

Ha! That paints a funny picture-
...okay, minimized windows are disappearing. Situation under control. I know what I have to do. Just have to open this, click here and minimize this, DOH!
I know it didn't happen like that, but... rofl

fobroth's photo
Mon 03/07/11 10:36 AM

Okay. Then I found out that there are really a lot of windows managers. Wow. I did not know that there were that many.

Most of these observations were made in the late 90s but probably still, somewhat, hold true; the *boxes all seemed pretty much the same. I settled on fluxbox because of the slit (for my gkrellm) and seemed 'prettier' than blackbox, which also had a slit. When I first started out, I was using KDE, which was very different then. When it started down the path of the big bloated hog, I tried gnome and xfce for other 'desktop environments' which were ok but discovered I preferred just using a window manager to create my own 'environment'. You can add whatever panels and widgets and crap, if you want them. I just think it's simpler and less stressful than dealing with what someone else thinks I want in a gui. Although, with that said, I made a vm a few years ago (mandriva?) that started lxde for a desktop. It looked pretty and seemed simple and quick.

Don't let any of that stop you from experimenting. Just offering 2 cents (I ain't got a lot o cents ;) ) Exploring is part of the fun of having so many choices. Again, those observations are from many years ago.

You have me kinda half considering playing around with compiz, again. (damn you 'Trout! tongue2 )

drinker

fobroth's photo
Sat 03/05/11 11:32 PM
Past the point o no return with linux... good for you, Jack! ;) It's been a while for an update of your latest projects. Part of logging in here is to see what RT has been up to. I've become 'set in my ways' and it's fun to live vicariously through somebody that's starting out and exploring. And I learn more, too.
Congrats on your hand-me-down parts... I guess. I wish I had 2TB o hdd, suckah grumble I'm really considering trying out something solid state since you brought that up. I'm sure I could get away with 10 gigs for the apps n progs and deal with the rest from my NFS server, which is pretty much what I'm doing, now, anyway. I have a lot of wasted space locally. I could move those to the NFS server.

Yeah, windohs is good for the games. I rarely play games. Openarena, saurbraten and mario64 n mariocart every once in a while. Only windohs games I miss is the flight sims :( Those were fun.

I need guaranteed performance and fast recovery options.

Sorry comptech1;
I recently migrated from 32 bit to 64 bit on my mythbox because of a major hardware upgrade. (I'll admit, i was scared) It was a fresh install of the operating system (debian squeeze) and apps. Then move some backed-up configs to the new system, a few finishing touches. Took a couple hours and all was good. I, also, recently spent the good part of a day re-installing/ restoring, for someone, a win7 system that got hit hard with some kind of virus. Install and reboot and reboot and reboot etc to finally boot to a basic system with virus crap and e-mail.
I prefer my performance and recovery options. Yes , windohs 7 works but my debian is polished the way I like it ;)
Oh! And I can put it on all my boxes without buying more licences, too.tongue2

fobroth's photo
Sat 03/05/11 02:48 PM
Did it ever come home or did you change the locks already?

I was helping someone with their ubunto last week; They like that it's so much quicker than their win7 and can't get over that they don't have to do the virus and malware scan crap. Said the only thing they missed was the clock, calendar, weather and cpu rpm thing that sat in a sidebar thingy. I did some lookin around and found just the thing. I think they were called screenlets. They liked em better than their windohs counterparts. Notably the calendar looked like a real calendar and the weather thing was better.
They really were pretty slick. If I spent any time looking at a desktop, I think I'd get some, too.

fobroth's photo
Mon 02/28/11 10:48 AM
Edited by fobroth on Mon 02/28/11 10:51 AM
warez definations?
Sorry, I don't get it.

fobroth's photo
Mon 02/28/11 09:16 AM

do you still have to flash?

if so then I don't see why the extra layer

I mean it's already possible to dual boot

I'm not trying to criticize I just don't understand a whole about what happens before the os loads - boot loader

but the system does already do the things u r talking about the software doing as far a communication with OS or else it wouldn't load
and u can use a command line in DOS or command prompt already-

then, with the point being replacing the bios - why do I want to do that?

An extra layer to facilitate 'copyrights'? Surprised it took em this long.
I agree- what's wrong with letting your board boot itself then let the OS take the wheel?

fobroth's photo
Mon 02/28/11 08:47 AM
Kernel panics stemming from identity crisis! Geez, RB, let her crunch some numbers in one environment for more than a day, why don'tcha?
That poor baby. laugh

Still haven't tried any BSDs after all these years. I'm happy enough with debian. My wandering ways are over. I look at distrowatch every once in a while but debian doesn't care, as long as I don't touch... OMG! Has my OS lulled me into a false sense of being?! Is there another OS that is better for me?
Thank-you for introducing me to my middle age geek crisis.

fobroth's photo
Thu 02/24/11 12:09 AM

Well, guys I did listen...although I hate DVD's. Borrowed one from my son & made a copy. It'll boot up & load but then I can't get the internet connected. Not sure all this BS is worth it!! Driving me F'n insane!!! PITA Thx

Aw, damn. I'm gonna guess you're trying to use wifi. That is one of the things that often needs extra tweaking. That's not linux's fault. With the many wifi adapter manufacturers and chips, there are as many drivers needed for them. These manufacturers don't provide linux drivers and won't release the specs for their hardware so that the development community can write drivers. There are ways around it but it isn't point and click.
Can you use a wire until you get to a point where you are comfortable with the new os? It really will be worth it. Off the top; no more virus scanning, no more malware, no more defrag, better memory management (I could go on)
I hope you don't give up.

fobroth's photo
Sat 02/19/11 10:36 PM

keep in mind tho that flash drives are not intended as long term storage

you will need to burn a cd eventually as your start up and recovery disk

It should be fine for the short time she plays with it and finds out she loves it so much she has to put it on her hdd ;)

yes I think about 3 pages ago I told her to go get a cd and do it right slaphead

she prolly didn't even notice cause it made too much sense and was too logical slaphead :laughing:

And that was kind of a sensitive point in her journey, too. How do you tactfully say, "Hey! No! Stop! You're doing it wrong!" to a chick on a mission? I always play it safe and stay the helloutta the way but still try to offer a nudge in the right direction. It didn't take long for it to run it's course. I think she's ready for us, now ;)

And yes, best of luck to you, Tessa02!

fobroth's photo
Sat 02/19/11 06:06 PM

There are 2 files now on my flash drive. The daa is after I tried the power iso program. frustrated

Oh, man... slaphead laugh
I wonder if you shouldn't just start over. Re-download a clean iso and don't touch it with anything except some burning software ;)