laughandlove4ever's photo
Sat 08/07/10 08:54 PM

The real question is why do so many people throughout the ages have such a need to have an answer for comfort, based upon faith, not upon truth ??

Interesting what we grasp onto….
In a book written 1500 years ago by primitive hut dwellers…
(500 years and approximately 25 generations of verbal passed down myth-stories after Jesus may or may not have lived)
God tells man not to eat an apple, but a talking snake tells man to eat it, so.. man listens to the talking snake…. God is upset (a loving, forgiving god ??), so he immaculately inseminates a woman (if not by her choice–rape ??, if she was married to Joseph at the time—adultery ??) and she gives birth to him/his son so he can suffer and die for us (Jesus chooses to die for us–suicide ??) because we sinned when we listened to the talking snake and ate an apple.. what a strange story…

I contend that we are all atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than religious people do. When religious “believers” understand why they dismiss all possible gods and religions except for their one “true” god , they will understand why I dismiss theirs.
The day people lose the fear of the threat of burning in hell will be the first intellectually free day of their life. Christianity and its rules and threats and prejudices was created by hut-dwellers thousands of years ago in order to gain power over their fellow human beings. New religions continue to crop up constantly in much the same way Christianity originally did- look at the Mormons, Scientologists and other less-successful religions. Christianity actually is like many religions, resurrection, virgin birth, god lives in heaven, etc….
The basis of religion and believing in Jesus is fear…. fear of going to hell (another man made myth–hell)
fear of what happens to us when we die. fear of God punishing us… (many examples especially in the old testament)
all of the stories, myths, fairytales about Jesus, including Jesus is God, were written hundreds of years after his death by primitive hut dwellers….
look at the big picture, Jesus is just another God in a long line of man-made Gods… during Jesus time, mankind was moving from polytheism to monotheism…. there were many “messiahs” ( 7 or 8 major ones) during Jesus life… Constantine helped Christianity become the big religion by making it the official religion of Rome.
Again, think about how ridiculous and unbelievable all of the other gods and religions are to you, and you will see why the Jesus myth is just another imaginary… (another word for faith) belief system.

Two things are needed to become a religious person….
1) exposure to religion… you are a Christian because you are surrounded by it, if you lived in a Hindu community you would gravitate toward.. I think you get my drift
2) a personal need and weakness…. religious people are less responsible for their actions and consequences, they lean on religion to help them deal with life, and use it as an excuse for their actions (religion is imaginary, a delusion, therefore actually a type of psychosis)

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud

You may want to check out the writings of the historian Josephus before making the claim that Jesus may not have lived.

The Bible (which you call "myth") has some interesting and thought provoking things to say concerning your viewpoints; here's just a sample:

"The fool has said in his heart, 'there is no God'...." Psalm 53

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--His eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." (Romans 1:18-20)

"This is the verdict: light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed." (Words of Jesus recorded by John in John 3:19-20)

You claim that Christianity is based on "fear" but I think you may want to consider the role fear may be playing in your refusal to be honest before God and acknowledge your need for a Savior.

On the cross, Jesus took upon himself the judgment we deserved for our sin so that we can live life free from all fear and judgment. You are sorely mistaken....the center of the Christian faith is grace extended to us through the finished work of Jesus Christ, not fear.

Yet if you insist on rejecting God's plan of salvation and want to become the source for your own truth and play God, then you have every reason to fear.

You have need and personal weakness, although you may not have been aware of it. You're a sinner in need of a savior. When you look at your life in the light of God's moral law (the 10 commandments...His standard, not your own) which your God given conscience bears witness to, you're no different than anyone else.

The good news is that God's grace is available to you as it is to everyone; For God so loved the world, that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him would not perish, but have eternal life; for God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him would be saved..." John 3:16

God desires all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth..... (1 Timothy 2:4)

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the father but by me..." (john 14:6)

The choice is yours.

Wed 07/28/10 08:19 PM
Christian guy here, but I find that I spend most of my time on the forum chatting with atheists and agnostics about the existence of God and other related topics. Spoke to a few Christian gals, but when they live on the opposite side of the country, or in other areas of the world that I've never heard of and can't even pronounce, it could get a bit discouraging :)

I still don't mind corresponding by email and getting to know a person that way, but like most of you, I'm looking for someone a bit more local.

Fri 07/23/10 11:56 PM
Abracadabra:
I would point you to the first several chapters of Genesis to show you that God did not create man as "inept." This of course is according to the Bible which you dismiss, but nonetheless it does set the record straight in regards to your claims against the "Christian view" on the subject matter which are inaccurate: 1) God did not create man as "inept" but as "very good" like the rest of his creation, free from sin AND with free will. Man was tempted and then CHOSE by his own free-will to disobey God; hence sin entered man. If you continue reading Genesis you can see the changes in the heart and character of Adam & Eve.....it wasn't merely a disobedient act without any further effects on them, but their spirit (or heart) was affected by their action; internally, a change took place. We see immediately after their "fall" that they are now exhibiting things like fear, deceit, dishonesty....heart-expressions as a result of the fall. And this spiritual condition was passed down through the generations to all man.

Sin isn't so much an act as it is a condition; you were born a sinner, and therefore you sin, just like the rest of us. We inherited it; it's a part of who we are whether we like it or not. You may not like this and may claim it as "unfair" or whatever, but nonetheless this "angry, judgmental and bloodthirsty God" that you have taken issue with has totally provided for your need without you even asking Him too.

It really doesn't matter whether you're talking about Billy Graham or Mother Theresa or whoever; as humans, we tend to look at sin horizontally, but God looks at it vertically; it's all the same to Him. The "little sinner" needs a savior just as much as the "big sinner". This of course only begins to make sense when accepting the proposition of the absolute holiness of God.

Also, in regards to living eternally, yes, I do believe we will live eternally. Yet I certainly do see death as our greatest enemy (not a contradiction), because when I refer to "death" I am referring to spiritual death....meaning separation from God in hell, where people's soul/spirit still live eternally but in a very bad place....

So where we will live eternally does depend on what we choose concerning God's Son; will we accept Christ who by his sacrifice received God's judgment against sin on our behalf, or will we choose to stand before God apart from Christ and receive it ourselves?

Fri 07/23/10 07:36 PM

Let me just say again that I enjoy the discourse with you. You have obviously thought and studied much on spiritual topics; much more than the average person. The questions you raise are legitimate questions. And although we have mostly disagreed thus far, the tone of our discussions has been civil and respectful. Can't say that about a lot of forums like this where people get downright nasty and vehement, and that includes Christian ones.

Well, there was a time when I believed in Christianity and was even sincerely thinking about the possibility of becoming a preacher. After all who wouldn't want to teach the "Word of God" if that's truly what the Bible is?

However, I must add here that in truth, I didn’t truly believe in “Christianity”, what I believed in was my parents and the adults around me. They were the ones who told me that this is the true word of God and they were the ones I “believed in”. I simply didn’t know enough about what was actually in the Bible to even say whether I actually believe it or not.

However, once I began to consider preaching “God’s Word”, I began to ask the hard questions. Not because I was challenging the truth of the Bible, but because, if I was going to be teaching the story I should have a full grasp and understand of precisely what the story is so I can answer and clarify these tough questions for others.

Well, it was when I began to actually read the Bible and search for answers to hard questions that I began to realize the answers simply aren’t clear. Not only did I begin to realize that answers aren’t clear, but I also starting becoming quite ‘turned off’ by some of the things I that are actually in the Bible. The more I read, the more “Hard Questions” kept popping up. I found contradictions, and situations that I personally felt that were not handled well by “god” at all.

By this time I’m having very little difficulty in questioning the ‘wisdom’ of God in these stories. And I’m also becoming ‘suspicious’ about whether these stories truly are the ‘word of God’.

I might stop and tell you at this point that while my family was quite religious and even some of my uncles were preachers, they weren’t ‘fire-and-brimstone’ preachers. No one in our family was a religious ‘fanatic’ or ‘fundamentalist’. Religion was never a ‘problem’ for me in terms of my family. It wasn’t ‘shoved’ onto me in a mean way, or anything like that. It was always presented to me in a very loving way, and questions about it were embraced, not discouraged. Even if they couldn’t be answered. Often times the answer was quite simply, “We just have to have faith”. However, for me, that answer is a non-answer.

It soon became vividly apparent to me is that the answers to the hard questions are not going to be found in the Bible. And that reading the Bible is only raising far more questions than answers.

Now whilst some of my uncles were preachers, others were actually atheists. This did not tear the family apart. On the contrary the preachers and atheists would often sit down and have very civil philosophical discussions about these things. It wouldn’t even be correct to refer to them as ‘debates’ because no one was attempting to convince anyone of anything. They were merely sharing their different views and why they each feel the way they do.

Like you, I’m not an atheist. I’m totally convinced that there is something going on that is far grander than just a mere freak random accident that occurred haphazardly out of some cosmic junk. And I might add here that I’ve been a physicist all my life, I’ve taught physic and mathematics both, and I’m fully aware of all the scientific theories. I fully understand those theories (at least as well as any physicist) and I have no problem with them in general. However, all that science does is describe how this universe behaves. It looks at the universe ‘behaving’ and it describes that behavior. But that is not an “explanation” of why it behaves the way it does. All that science amounts to is a description that explains things “after the fact”.

I like the way that Stephen Hawking put it: “What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe?”

He fully understand that science is nothing more than a description of what we see happening all around us. Science can say nothing of how it truly came to be in the first place. Sure they can go back to the Big Bang and describe how it ‘unfolded’ but that’s still just a description of what’s happening. It doesn’t explain why it came to be that way.

In any case, I didn’t mean to go off on a tangent into science. But my point is that science does not, and cannot, replace theism. I’ve always believed in spirituality. However, I’ve always intuitively felt that I have always existed and always will exist. So that is also an innate intuitive feeling I have. That feeling is so profound I can intuitively say that I know that it’s true. But obviously there is nothing ‘logical’ that I can offer to support it.

Now getting back to the Bible. I’ve always agreed with the moral teaching of Jesus. In fact, I agree with them so much that this in itself is a bit problematic. In other words, I have nothing to ‘learn’ from Jesus. As I read his moral position on things I simply nod my head in agreement and acknowledge that I agree.

But isn’t that strange? Why should I already have the same moral values as Jesus? Could it be that he was simply offering wisdom that any sane wise person should already know?

This raises the question of why there are genuinely sick people in the world. Are their truly ‘evil’ people? Or are their just ‘sick’ people?

My mother was a saint. I mean, seriously. My mother didn’t smoke, drink (not even socially), or do anything like that. I never hard my mother swear or cuss. The closest she would ever come to cussing would be to say something like “Oh darn”, and even then she’d put her hand over her lips like as if she has said something wrong. My mother went to church every Sunday and to Bible Studies every Wednesday night for as long as I can remember. Even at times when we were financially hurting she would scrap together her little pile of change and take it to church to put in the tithe plate. My father died when I was nine. My mother never remarried or even so much as dated another man. She never had a harsh word toward anyone.

In fact, when we’d be watching the News and some horrible rapist or serial killer was caught and other people in the room would say things like “Good, I hope he gets the maximum punishment!”, my mother would say, “Awe, I feel so sorry for him. He must be sick”. In a way, I think she was a bit like me (or I guess I should say that I’m a bit like her), instead of thinking in terms of sin, we tend to think in terms of being either healthy or sick. How can a genuinely healthy person do such horrible things? They must be sick.

Sorry, I keep getting off on tangents. Getting back to Jesus. I agree with the teachings of Jesus. But isn’t it a bit ironic that I simply agree with him? I haven’t truly learned anything NEW from his teachings. All I do is nod my head in agreement, and it’s quite refreshing too after having read the Old Testament picture of “God”.

So this brings up an interesting question. Why do I find the Old Testament God so unwise, and disagree with his ways, and yet I find the New Testament God to be in perfect harmony with my thinking?

Well, here’s a thought. Maybe they have nothing to do with each other? Maybe Jesus isn’t the Son of Yahweh and was instead something else?

Well this weighed on my mind for many years. This was a long drawn out process for me. It didn’t happen over night. However in the meantime I had given up on becoming a preacher (mainly due to two reasons). 1. Because I couldn’t justify many of the things in the Old Testament. And 2. Because I couldn’t explain nor justify* why it was necessary for Jesus to be crucified to pay for our sins.

* Well, actually I could ‘justify’ Jesus as a ‘sacrificial lamb of God’, IF I actually believed in and agreed with the behavior of the God of the Old Testament. Because that God apparently was appeased by blood sacrifices. However, I could never even find a decent explanation to even justify that. Moreover, it ‘smelled’ too much like Greek Mythology and many other mythologies. Gods being appeased by blood sacrifices was a common theme in mythologies. Why would the “REAL” creator of the universe just coincidently also be appeased by blood sacrifices? Also why would God need to ‘sacrifice himself to himself” that makes even less sense. Plus having men angrily nail him to a pole does not constitute a genuine ‘sacrifice’ anyway. So the whole “sacrificial lamb” thing just can’t be justified, IMHO. At least not in a way that I can sincerely and genuinely support.

Let’s also not forget that Jesus did not even teach the same moral values as Yahweh. That’s pretty clear to everyone. Even the Christians LOVE Jesus. I’m not so sure they are all that happy with Yahweh. It’s JESUS they love, not Yahweh.

So as I continued on my own spiritual journey I discovered things like Buddhism and Hinduism, and so forth. They were difficult to understand and often confusing. Especially things like Zen Buddhism which is quite popular today. Zen Buddhism is almost a form of glorified atheism. However it’s a far cry from the original Buddhism of Siddhartha which was far more spiritual.

I studied Buddhism for quite some time. Both, “practicing” the various techniques as well as studying the history of it. What I found is that Buddhism is as diverse as the Abraham religions. It has many different ‘sects’ and ‘denominations’ (if you want to call them that). Then I ran across something quite profound. And that is called Mahayana Buddhism. Mahayana Buddhism teaches moral values extremely similar to what Jesus taught. It also emphasized the importance of a concept called “Bodhisattva”. A bodhisattva is a person who dedicated their life to helping others find their enlightenment. In fact, it was a tradition of Mahayana Buddhism to not even taken in students unless they vowed to become a bodhisattva after they had reached enlightenment. The most interesting thing about all of this is that this particular style of Buddhism was actually at it’s peak just around the time when Jesus would have lived and taught.

Armed with this new insight, and realizing the following two things. 1. India isn’t all that far from Israel actually, and 2. Jesus was actually missing from the New Testament story from the time he was 12 until he returned at about 30. More than enough time to travel to India, and become a Mahayana Buddhist Bodhisattva.

I’m not saying this happened. In fact, Jesus could have actually learned Mahayana Buddhism at home. Even the Bible mentions “wise men from the East” quite often. So the Buddhism could have come to Jesus.

In any case, with this new insight and understanding. It makes far more sense to me that what Jesus was actually teaching was the moral values of Buddhism. It makes perfect sense actually because the teachings of Jesus were totally different from the teachings in the Old Testament, yet they are in perfect harmony with the teachings of Buddhism (especially with the teaching of Mahayana Buddhism).

So today, that is my conclusion. Jesus was not the son of Yahweh. He was a man who taught far better morals than had been taught in the Torah. And he probably did say things like “I and the Father are One”, and “Ye are also gods”, etc. Because Buddhists believe in Pantheism (.i.e. All are God).

And so he was cruficied for blaspheme. For claiming to be “god” and for teaching things that weren’t in harmony with the Old Teachings of Yahweh.

It makes perfect sense. Far more sense than the idea that Jesus was the sacrificial lamb of Yahweh.

At least that’s my conclusion.

I still believing in “god” and spirituality. I was never an atheist at any point in my entire life. I just no longer believe that the Bible is the “Word of God”. But Jesus is cool. Nothing wrong with the moral values he taught. It's a shame he met with such a horrible death. But I seriously do not believe that was any surpreme plan of God to 'pay' for the salavation of men.

Wow, what an incredible story.

Well, there are a few more items that we actually agree upon: 1) I also believe we will live eternally, 2) the Bible doesn't answer all our questions, and 3) your mother was indeed a saint.

Which raises the question: When Jesus died on the cross, where did his spirit go once his physical body died? If he was indeed the sacrificial lamb of God who was to bear the penalty of sin on our behalf, wouldn't that mean he would have to experience "hell" in our place? Personally, I believe this is exactly what occurred; when the Bible refers to Jesus "tasting death" I believe it is not only referring to physical death but spiritual death (separation from God). This brings to light statements such as

"My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me?" (Jesus on the cross)

"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last; I am the living one; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever...and I hold the keys of death and Hades" (Revelation 1:18-19)

How could the Christ possess the "keys of death and hades" without first descending there to take them?"

There are also several references in the New Testament where Jesus is referred to as the "first-born from the dead" or the "first begotten from the dead."

My thought: Jesus suffered even in hell on our behalf, totally satisfying God's justice against man's sin. He was the first to ever be spiritually reborn.

As I said before, I am in agreement with you that the Bible doesn't have all the answers to life or whatever. But I don't believe this serves to prove the illegitimacy of the reality of God, and I think we are in agreement with this. Plus there will always be a degree of faith necessary when dealing with the subject of God; you simply cannot escape it.

One final note: As far as the Old Testament Yahweh thing; it's a fair argument that many have made for centuries. And the topic of "reconciling" the image of Old Testament Yahweh and New Testament Jesus will probably always be a subject of debate. In spite of these difficulties, Jesus Himself was raised in and worshipped within the Yahwehistic tradition. So, either Jesus was very confused, or there is something he understood that we don't. It would be difficult to admire the moral teachings of a man who would be that "mentally ill" to miss the supposedly great contradiction.

Yet if we come to believe a few propositions; namely, the holiness of God and the reality and heinousness of sin, it begins to make sense, and the finished work of Christ can be seen for what it is; the most incredible gift ever offered to mankind.

Jesus overcame our greatest enemy; death itself. And now he wants to share his victory with us. This is good news to all.

Wed 07/21/10 06:03 PM

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us..." 1st John 1:8

Well of course this is what the dogma claims. This is indeed the whole obscessive focal point of the religion.

It's a dogma that is utterly OBSCESSED with SIN.

That's one of the things that makes the religion so disgusting. It's so obscessed with sin that it's unhealthy.

Even the crucifixion of Jesus to pay for the salvation of man is a gory sick idea.

You have no sins to atone? Am I corresponding with Jesus himself in this forum?

Oh no, I'm not Jesus. I wouldn't go around losing my temper overturning money tables in a public square. I don't even have that sin to confess. No, I'm even more free from sin than Jesus was.

I guess that's just another reason why the story makes no sense to me. How can a man who wasn't even as free from sin as myself offer to die for my sins? That makes no sense at all.

I can understand why you may feel that way, but it really isn't the case. God offers us a relationship with Himself through Jesus, and in this relationship sin is not at all the focal point; God's grace is. A relationship with God is meant to be satisfying, enjoyable, full of life & purpose, and that's what Jesus offers. It's just that when the conversation focuses on the topic of salvation, or of what it means to be in right standing with God, the whole issue of sin does become an important issue and can't be ignored, because one must first understand the reality of sin in their own life before they can be in a position to receive the grace of God extended toward them in Christ. So I speak in these terms not because of an obsession with sin, but out of a sincere hope that you will open your heart to the grace of God available to you.

Let me just say again that I enjoy the discourse with you. You have obviously thought and studied much on spiritual topics; much more than the average person. The questions you raise are legitimate questions. And although we have mostly disagreed thus far, the tone of our discussions has been civil and respectful. Can't say that about a lot of forums like this where people get downright nasty and vehement, and that includes Christian ones.

Tue 07/20/10 07:37 PM
great post. I do believe it is possible to forgive anything, although not easy. Sometimes I hear some incredible stories about this. I would like to think I an capable of forgiving anything; but I would rather not be in that type of a position in the first place....

I do believe that forgiving quickly is key to protecting one's heart against bitterness and strife which, when they take root, not only begin to eat away at the person harboring the bitterness, but actually affects people in that person's sphere. It's never pleasant to have to be around a person with a bitter heart. You can sense it and it can even affect your own heart and attitude if you're around it long enough.

Tue 07/20/10 07:11 PM

I have no idea why you would want to follow the teachings of a mere man who died and decayed, when there is someone who neither died (or rather, was raised) nor decayed, who atoned for your sin.

I have no sins to atone. So I have no need for anyone who is offering to atone sins. The gospels claim that Jesus himself said that he did not come for the righteous but for the sinners. So Jesus wasn’t here for me anyway by his own proclamation according to the gospels.

None the less, I do agree with most of what Jesus supposedly taught. Although, since all we have from the man is extremely biased hearsay of attempts to paint him as the sacrificial lamb of Yahweh, as you describe above, then it’s really hard to say how much of the gospels actually came from Jesus, and how much of it is made up gobbledygook. This is why I must reject the Bible as even being a reliable representation of Jesus.

The best I can do with regard to Jesus is to recognize that he probably was a really nice guy and he probably did stand up for moral values that I would personally support.

Buddha, on the other hand did not ask for any followers. He ever proclaimed that he has any desire to be the King of Kings or Lord of Lords or that every knee shall bow to him or that every tongue shall confess that he is LORD.

So Buddha isn’t even asking anyone to ‘follow’ him. Buddha is simply sharing his insights into the human condition and the secrets of life itself. And of course he’s doing this in a way that is compatible with the philosophical and spiritual belief system of the culture in which he was raised. Not unlike the way that the authors of the New Testament painted Jesus into the philosophical and spiritual belief system of their culture.

First and foremost Buddah taught spiritual sovereignty, if you ‘follow’ the teachings of Buddha one of the first things you’ll begin to realize is that he is telling you that you should not follow him, but rather you should follow your own inner spirit. He then goes about sharing with you his own spiritual journey in the hope that his experiences may help you in your own quest for spiritual sovereignty.

The truly interesting thing is that both Jesus and Buddha taught the very same path. Yet one man is said to have taught a path to spiritual sovereignty, whilst the other man is said to be lusting to become the King of Kings and Lord of Lords to rule over you.

However, in all truthfulness Jesus NEVER SAID that he wants to be the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and have every knee bow to him and ever tongue confess that he is Lord. But somehow that absurd notion got into the Bible and therefore becomes the “Word of God” in Jesus’ name we pray.

This is why the Bible is so full of baloney, IMHO. It contains so much contorted trivial and blatantly egoistical crap, that truly never even came from the mouth of Jesus. Most things that are actually attributed to Jesus are far more in line with what Buddha taught, and not at all in line with all the rest of the crap that’s in the “Holy Bible”.

For this reason (among others) I personally believe that Jesus was indeed a Mahayana Buddhist who was actually attempting to bring the wisdom of Buddha to his own people, but was unfortunately crucified by a mob on charges of blaspheme after only a few short years of attempting to teach the wisdom and love of Buddha.

I don’t believe for one second that Jesus was the “sacrificial lamb of Yahweh”. I personally find that whole notion to be quite unattractive and ignorant on many levels. I do not believe that Jesus was born of a virgin. I do not believe that a voice came from the sky saying, “This is my beloved son in whom I’m well pleased”. I do not believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

Jesus was a mortal man, not at all unlike Buddha. He probably had the very same message to share. It is extremely unfortunate for everyone that Jesus was crucified for his efforts and ended up being used as a patsy by an uncouth religious regime to create a doctrine claiming that Jesus was the “sacrifical lamb of Yahweh” just so they could use him to prop up the very same religious doctrine that Jesus himself obviously disagreed with.

That’s my conclusions about what happened to poor innocent Jesus.

And it truly saddens me to see people falling for that tale and support it to use Jesus to prop up the bigotry, ignorance, and prejudices, of the Old Testament. The very things that Jesus himself tried so wisely and cautiously to renounce.

IMHO, Christianity is about as anti-Jesus as anything can possibly be.

You have no sins to atone? Am I corresponding with Jesus himself in this forum? That's an outlandish statement that comes crashing down in light of God's law (the 10 commandments) which is also the generally accepted moral code for most any functioning society. You indeed have sinned just like all of us on this site. Furthermore, the reason Jesus has not come for the righteous but for sinners is because there is none righteous; no, not one. All are sinners. You're in the same boat with the rest of mankind. This verse is not an endorsement of your own personal righteousness, but your own personal sin, and need for a savior.

Plus this same Jesus whom you say doesn't proclaim you as a sinner also said, "If you do not believe that I am who I proclaim to be, you will die in your sins." There are various references throughout the Old & New Covenant in regards to the reality of sin in every one of us.

And this is one of the big problems with the teachings of Buddha. He may have been a great psychologist, but he did not deal with the root problem in regards to the human condition, namely, sin. He didn't teach it because he didn't believe in it. But him not believing it doesn't change reality. So Buddha's words, although having a measure of accuracy, are incomplete in regards to truth because he misunderstood man's real problem of alienation from our creator due to sin.

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us..." 1st John 1:8

You mentioned how Buddha's teaching fit the culture, compared to the new testament author's who apparently weren't sensitive to their culture. The kingdom of God transcends culture. God is not called to change His ways to fit our philosophical concepts of how or who we think he should be.

Buddha and Jesus did not teach the same thing: Buddha taught to follow your own inner spirit; Jesus taught that man was spiritually dead in their sins and needed to be spiritually reborn from above; unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Neither did Jesus teach about following our own quest for spiritual sovereignty. There's only one Sovereign and that is God, and even Jesus throughout his earthly ministry always pointed people to his heavenly Father.

I agree that Buddha did not "Lord it over people" but neither did Jesus. His motivation for making the claims He made was not so He could "lord it over people" and get a quick high through a spirit of control: He said to people, "Follow Me" because His main motivation was to save people for their sins....to "seek and save that which is lost, as He Himself said. Thus the name "Jesus" which was given to Him, which means "the Lord saves."

Your reference to "every knee bowing and every one confessing He is Lord" has to do with the day that each of us will have to give an account to God.

Sorry to say, but Buddha is not the way, the truth, and the life. That is reserved for Jesus Christ alone. Salvation is found in none other than Jesus, the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

Also, I can't understand why you think that the Bible writings can be so inaccurate, and even refer to it being myth. The truth is, what we know about Buddha is enshrined in legends and myths since the texts containing his words were not written until about two centuries after his death by an anonymous author. Meanwhile, much of the new testament was written only decades after the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and even the stories in the old testament that many conveniently label as myth have been confirmed by scientific discovery (the walls of Jericho, the cities of Sodom & Gomorah, to name a few). There is also the writings of the historian Josephus. Your "myth analogy" doesn't stand up under scrutiny.

"

Mon 07/19/10 11:17 PM

I agree that letting go of man-made religion frees the soul. Christianity is not a man-made religion.

That's clearly a matter of personal belief and faith.

All the religions of the world, to one degree or another, all teach that man must somehow work his way into right relationship with God; to somehow earn God's favor through their spiritual performance.

This is true, but in vastly different ways. There's a humongous difference between the way that this is veiwed in Eastern Mystcism verses in Christianity. In Christinaity it is placed in terms of appeasing the desires, wants and demands of a Godhead (which includes supporting a particular religion and dogma I might add)

In Eastern Mysticism it's about coming to the realization that your true nature is divine. It's about losing the illusion of being Seperate from God. With Chrsitianity it's just the opposite. Christianity views the idea of seeing one's self as divine as 'blaspheme'. That's a big no-no.

The center of Christianity is not (or is not supposed to be) centered around man and his performance, but is centered around the person and work of Jesus Christ. It's not about what we can do for God, but embracing by faith what He has already done for us through the finished work of Christ. It is by God's grace, through faith in the person and work of Christ, that we are "made righteous" in God's sight and enter into relationship with Him. It's a relationship, not a religion. And he is the best father you can ever know!

But again, that picture is frowned upon in terms of actually becoming one with God whilst you're still in human form. Instead it's entirely focused on a "judgement day" that supposedly happens only after this life is over.

So in short, in Christianity you must WAIT UNTIL YOU DIE, before you can become one with God. But in Eastern Mysticism you can become one with God right now.

I disagree with you that to be a Christian, you have to believe in superiority, hypocrisy, and prejudice.

For me, this has nothing at all to do with any modern day "Christians". People who merely follow the religoin.

From my point of view, the superiority, hypocrisy, and prejudice is "Built-into" the doctrine. It's a fundamental property of the stories. It has absolutely nothing to do with any modern day "followers" of the religion.

For example you say:

I have heard many accusations over the years against things done in the name of Christianity. But rarely do you hear an accusation against Jesus

I'm in complete agreement with this. In fact, I have nothing bad to say about Jesus himself either. Although I confess that I might reject some of the things that some authors might have attributed to Jesus.

But the problem I have with "Christianity" (and again I'm speaking of the actual doctrine and not the modern day followers), is that in order to accept that Jesus is the Son of Yahweh automatically uses Jesus to endorse everything that's in the Old Testament, as well as much of the writings of Paul and others in the New Tesatment who have used Jesus as an excuse to drege up nasty stuff from the Old Testament.

For example did Jesus himself say anything at all about homosexuality?

No.

Did Jesus himself make any comments that were male-chauvinistic?

No.

Did Jesus himself say antything about heathens being unrighteous?

No.

On the contrary, Jesus actually called the scribes and pharisees hypocrites.

But yet, taken as a complete doctrine, in order to endorse Jesus as the son of Yahweh a person must also endorse the WHOLE DOCTRINE. And it's in that very endorsement where the hypocricy and predjudices etc, seep in.

You can't endorse Jesus as the "Son of Yahweh" without also endoring Yahweh as God.

This is why I would much prefer to endorse Buddha. Buddah taught the preicse same moral values as Jesus, however Buddah doesn't carry with him the baggage of all the predjudices and hypocrisy that Jesus brings via the idea that he's the "Only Begotten Son of Yahweh"

That's the straw that breaks the camel's back right there.

You can't worship Jesus without also endorsing Yahweh.

That's like telling me that I can't worship Jesus without also endorsing Zeus. Only Yahweh is even worse than Zeus in some respects.

So I'd rather follow the teachings of Buddah. He may not be the son of any ficticous God. But at least he doesn't bring all the baggage of that with him either.

Jesus has not only been nailed to the cross, but he has also been nailed to the Old Testament. And that's the deal breaker for me.

You are incorrect in saying that in Christianity, you are not "one with God." It is all about a relationship with God and being one with Him in spirit, through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. "I in them and them in me" is a foundational truth to the Christian faith taught by Jesus and repeated throughout the New Covenant and brings a better understanding to what the writers are talking about when referring to being "in Christ." Also, if you talk to Christians they will testify that this isn't just dry theology but actual experience. The Holy Spirit takes up residence in the believer's heart.

I have no idea why you would want to follow the teachings of a mere man who died and decayed, when there is someone who neither died (or rather, was raised) nor decayed, who atoned for your sin.

And there are a lot of things we approach and do whereby it is a generally accepted fact that there is only one approach, or one way, to proceed. Yet say that there is only one way to God through Jesus, and the labels are endless: bigot, narrow-minded, prejudiced, etc..

Your problem with Yahweh and certain things in the Old Testament are understandable because it can seem harsh and confusing. But there was a reason behind these things, mostly having to do with God's dealings with His covenant people (the Jews) according to His law for purification, and separation from sin. So extreme that we as humans find it very hard to relate, yet it should tell us how this whole "sin issue" was not a small thing in the Old Testament, and it definately sheds more light as to God's ultimate plan of salvation, and that is where Jesus comes in. SO Yahweh and Jesus are indeed inseparable, but for good reason. Yahweh is not the horrible God you think He is. God doesn't rebel against man, but man does rebel against God. Even so, Yahweh has provided through Jesus, and it is not for just the afterlife; that is not an accurate reflection of the Christian faith. It is for the here and now, and of course, the afterlife, too. But when the Bible refers to "eternal life" it is specifically talking about "Zoe" or abundant life right now, from the moment one receives Christ, and on.

Mon 07/19/10 10:32 PM

I've been telling you all week that Jesus is God's beloved Son in whom He is well pleased, but you're not listening! happy

And who is God in this case?

Yahweh?

No wonder I'm not listening.

I have absolutely NO RESPECT for Yahweh.

None. Zip, Zilch, Nada.

That's OK; He still loves you.

Getting late on the east coast; signing off.

Mon 07/19/10 09:25 PM
Edited by laughandlove4ever on Mon 07/19/10 09:27 PM

Proof that God exists 101:

Have you ever seen a building? If so, how do you know there was a builder? The building is absolute proof that the builder exists.

I was recently in Myrtle Beach at an art gallery, looking at various paintings. If you were looking at the paintings, how would you know that there was a painter? The painting is absolute proof that the painter exists.

Imagine walking out into a field of apple trees, witnessing hundreds of apples laying randomly on the ground. Now imagine that you walk into the same field one week later, but instead of the apples being strewn randomly on the ground, they are all lined up into three large "figure eights." How would you explain such an occurance? That 1) it happened by chance or "evolved" that way? or 2) that someone with an intelligent mind made it to be that way?

The point: When you look at creation, that is proof that there is a creator. I don't need "faith" to believe there was a Creator; just need to look around.

Think about it: There is "order" throughout the whole of creation....from the atom, to the sun-moon-stars, the seasons of the year, the flowers, the trees, the earth spinning on its axis at the perfect place for "life" to exist. Is it really reasonable to say that the order of creation simply "happened?" I think not.

The same deep scientific principle can be used when referring to the human body. Look at the human eye, for example. 40,000 nerve endings and focusing muscles, and 137,000,000 light sensitive cells working in harmony for one to see. Even Charles Darwin said that to suppose that the eye could have been formed by natural selection was an utter absurdity in the highest degree. (The Origin of the Species, Page 167.)

Well, be prepared to stand in awe because I'm about to agree with you again. Although only after I correct some major flaws in your observations.

You say:

Imagine walking out into a field of apple trees, witnessing hundreds of apples laying randomly on the ground. Now imagine that you walk into the same field one week later, but instead of the apples being strewn randomly on the ground, they are all lined up into three large "figure eights." How would you explain such an occurance? That 1) it happened by chance or "evolved" that way? or 2) that someone with an intelligent mind made it to be that way?

This is actually quite misleading and basically incorrect if it is meant to be an analogy with evolution.

First off, evolution did not occur via apples, and it didn't occur in week. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to explain how apples could get into a the pattern you describe on their own in a week. But then again, no explanation is require because that NEVER happens.

On the other hand, evolution can be explained and has been explained in quite some depth. There's no problem with the theory of evolution. There is no need to have a "God" consciously guide the process of evolution.

If this universe was created by a God, that God used evolution as it's means to allow the universe to evolve on its own without any need for God to "babysit it". That's just a fact of scientific discovery and knowledge.

The REAL QUESTION is not "How do things evolve on their own?". We already know the answer to that question. The REAL QUESTION is, "Why is the universe made of just a handful of elements that CAN evolve into such complex systems sucn as self-sentient beings?"

That's the real question.

If there is such a thing as "Intelligent Design" it occurred PRIOR to the Big Bang. There was no need for any conscious Godhead to watch over the process and guide it or 'babysit' it during the evolution of the universe. Everything required for the evolution of life had already been "Designed into the universe" right at the Big Bang.

The question now becomes, "Was this indeed by design?, or did it just happen to be that way?"

I actually tend to agree with you. drinker

I feel that the chances that it just happened by random accident for no reason is so absurd that I dismiss it altogether. That leaves the only other possibility, it was indeed by design in some way.

But again, this points to a pantheistic picture of the world. Not a picture of a Zeus-like, or Yahweh like godhead who stands over the universe as some sort of external magician guiding every little things and passing judgements on each and every little inhabitant.

Pantheism - Yes.

A Human-like Monotheistic Baby-sitting Intervening Judging Godhead?

I just don't see it.

Like I always say, if God can just speak to crowds of humans and say things like "This is my son in whom I'm well pleased", then why play hide-and-seek with us?

Obviously if this kind of God WANTS to communicate he could. Yet it never happens. Yeah sure, some people claim it happens to them. But let's face it, it doesn't happen to most people who are indeed sincere in their desire to know their creator.

And to even take that further that this supposedly personified judgemental Godhead would expect everyone to worship a religion that came out of the Middle East makes absolutely no sense at all.

Especially considering all the things that this God was said to have done! Asking people to stone sinners to death? Asking people to murder heathens? Condoning male-chauvinism to the point of actually stating that female slaves should only be worth half as much as male slaves, etc.

I mean. Come on?

I've been telling you all week that Jesus is God's beloved Son in whom He is well pleased, but you're not listening! happy

Mon 07/19/10 09:12 PM

I sure do disagree with the statement that more faith is required to be atheist.

Letting go of man made religions freed my mind and soul.

Illogical drives me crazy.

And then one has to believe in superiority, hypocrisy and prejudice to be a part of the Christian based religions.

Believing that man is some kind of out of control creature that needs a god to control him and punish him when he is bad is too immature of a belief for me. I have outgrown the need for a parent figure to bail me out, reassure me, spank me, etc....

I agree that letting go of man-made religion frees the soul. Christianity is not a man-made religion.

All the religions of the world, to one degree or another, all teach that man must somehow work his way into right relationship with God; to somehow earn God's favor through their spiritual performance. The center of Christianity is not (or is not supposed to be) centered around man and his performance, but is centered around the person and work of Jesus Christ. It's not about what we can do for God, but embracing by faith what He has already done for us through the finished work of Christ. It is by God's grace, through faith in the person and work of Christ, that we are "made righteous" in God's sight and enter into relationship with Him. It's a relationship, not a religion. And he is the best father you can ever know!

When we as people fly in an airplane, we don't have to logically understand all the intricacies of the law of aerodynamics in order to get on the plane and fly. We do a lot of things and accept a lot of things without having to understand it all. Just because we can't necessarily figure everything out about something with our minds isn't necessarily an absolute indicator that it is illegitimate. I believe God has given us reasonable evidence to his existence, and to the reality of His son. I would just ask you to consider opening your heart to the possibility that there really is a God whose intent is for you to enjoy Him and enjoy life, A God who certainly does not want to control you or punish you; but a God who loves you.

I disagree with you that to be a Christian, you have to believe in superiority, hypocrisy, and prejudice. Those things are appalling, but I will admit openly that there have been plenty of things done in the name of Christianity that have been appalling. Those things done by man that fit in this category certainly misrepresented the Christian faith, and misrepresented God. But those things don't change the reality of who Jesus really is, and who God really is.

I have heard many accusations over the years against things done in the name of Christianity. But rarely do you hear an accusation against Jesus. As a follower of Christ, I apologize to you on behalf of those who have done abominable things that perhaps put a bad taste in your mouth in regards to the Christian faith.

As a Christian, I do share the good news of Jesus with those in my sphere, whether Athiest, Muslim, Budhist, etc... But I respect their ultimate choice regarding whether to embrace God's grace in Christ, or not. Some are my friends; they know where I stand spiritually, and I know where they stand, and we just continue going about being friends. It is possible to agree to disagree and still be friends. Whether they receive Christ is their choice, but me choosing to share that Christ claims to be the only path to God does not make me prejudiced. Neither am I superior, for every good and perfect gift comes from Him, even the grace of life. But I very well may be a hypocrite in many people's eyes, for many think those who profess Christ should be perfect, and when the smallest mistake is witnessed, they are jumped upon with the "hypocrite" label. Yet I can understand why you mentioned the term "hypocrite" when referring to Christians for there are many who go to church on Sunday, yet give no thought to God's purpose for their lives Monday thru Saturday. But I believe to lump all who profess Christ into that category is unfair.

I appreciate your comments and thank you for sharing. You speak for a lot of people who have been turned off by religiousity in general.

Mon 07/19/10 08:11 PM
Proof that God exists 101:

Have you ever seen a building? If so, how do you know there was a builder? The building is absolute proof that the builder exists.

I was recently in Myrtle Beach at an art gallery, looking at various paintings. If you were looking at the paintings, how would you know that there was a painter? The painting is absolute proof that the painter exists.

The point: When you look at creation, that is proof that there is a creator. I don't need "faith" to believe there was a Creator; just need to look around.

Think about it: There is "order" throughout the whole of creation....from the atom, to the sun-moon-stars, the seasons of the year, the flowers, the trees, the earth spinning on its axis at the perfect place for "life" to exist. Is it really reasonable to say that the order of creation simply "happened?" I think not.

The same deep scientific principle can be used when referring to the human body. Look at the human eye, for example. 40,000 nerve endings and focusing muscles, and 137,000,000 light sensitive cells working in harmony for one to see. Even Charles Darwin said that to suppose that the eye could have been formed by natural selection was an utter absurdity in the highest degree. (The Origin of the Species, Page 167.)

Mon 07/19/10 07:29 PM

Personally, I believe it takes more faith to believe that there is no God, than to believe that there is.

I do too. But that doesn't send me running off to worship Zeus.

In fact, as far as I'm concenred Eastern Mysticism is the best spiritual "theory" we have.

The idea of an egotistical judgemental Godhead who created us to become his eternal pets is a bit absurd for my taste.

Actually, I can prove that God exists in about 30 seconds, without referring to the Bible or faith.

That would be an interesting "proof" to hear. I might be inclinded to potentially give it some support. Or, I might see a gapping flaw in it, in which case I wouldn't hesitate to point it out.

If you and I can agree on something, I think that would be irrefutable evidence that God indeed exists. LOL

Mon 07/19/10 06:19 PM

belief and practice arent the same thing,,,, one can believe adultery is wrong and still commit it (hence the feeling some have of 'guilt')

when we define PRACTICES we generally refer to specific religions and their rules,,,ie whether one is Christian, Buddhist, Catholic,,,etc,,

when we define BELIEF, we are generally referring to theism, atheism, or agnosticism

True

Mon 07/19/10 06:07 PM
Edited by laughandlove4ever on Mon 07/19/10 06:11 PM
Personally, I believe it takes more faith to believe that there is no God, than to believe that there is.

Actually, I can prove that God exists in about 30 seconds, without referring to the Bible or faith.

Sat 07/17/10 09:09 AM
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him would be saved. He who believes is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, for he has not believed in God's one and only son." John 3:16-18, Jesus speaking.

We do indeed all have a choice; to accept Jesus as revealed in the Bible, or to make up our own version of Jesus according to our own desires of who we want him to be, or worse yet, dismiss God and His word entirely.

It's not about trying to force one's tenets on anyone else. It is indeed freewill. In fact, love cannot exist where freewill is not present. Love requires a choice, whether it be in the selection of a mate, or in this case, our embracing of a loving heavenly father who provides reconciliation through Jesus, or rejecting Him.

No greater love has anyone than this: that he should lay down his life for another.

Fri 07/16/10 10:15 PM
I would like to share some thoughts on this.

When we look at civic government, we understand that there is typically a justice system that holds people accountable to their actions, and certain punishments are administered to fit the specific crime. Life sentences in jail as well as the death penalty are a part of that system.

With this being the case, I don't find it unreasonable or illogical at all for "Hell" to exist.

Many people are quick to point to the love of God, using this as their reason why hell could or should not exist. But what many don't understand is that God is not only a loving God, but he is also just. He is both.

The good news is that the justice-side of God has been satisfied through the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ on our behalf. We have all broken God's law, but Jesus paid our fine by receiving the punishment we deserved for our sin. The cross is where the love of God and the justice of God meet.

"Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. For small is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14, Jesus speaking

Jesus himself said in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me."

My point is this: that apart from the cross, there is no "love of God" for anyone to ultimately look forward to, but only the justice and wrath of God against sin. The good news is that no one needs to stand before God on that day and be judged by His holy law, being sent to hell as a lawbreaker; rather, we can receive Christ now by faith, who was judged on our behalf so we could escape God's judgment. That's how much God loves you and me.

Of course my source is the Bible, and I don't apologize for that. Too many people are trying to play God, relying on themselves as the source of truth, creating a God after their own imagination to suit themselves. But God has made his plan known..... that regardless of race, gender, socio-economic status, past experiences, etc... we can all be reconciled to God through faith in the death & resurrection of His son.

Thu 07/15/10 08:06 PM
"In the beginning, God......."

There are some things we will never be able to adequately explain; God is infinite, yet we are finite.....

"Without faith it is impossible to please God, for those who come to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

So, "In the beginning" is enough for me. May faith carry us where reason cannot go!

Tue 07/13/10 09:07 PM
What a brilliant game; to create a God after your own imagination to suit yourself....a God you're more comfortable with. :)

I enjoyed the discourse even though we disagree. Enjoy the forum!

-H

Tue 07/13/10 07:45 PM
Edited by laughandlove4ever on Tue 07/13/10 07:46 PM
Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of judging ourselves before God. He is the judge, and his standard of goodness is much higher than ours. If we are not perfect in word, thought and deed, then we are sinners, and therefore need a Savior. You're no different than anybody else. I don't have to know your heart to say you're a sinner; God already knows and He has already pronounced the whole world guilty of sin, and that includes you and I. So I can say without doubt that you have sinned, not based on my own opinion of your heart, but based on what God has himself declared concerning your heart, and if we will take an honest look at our lives in light of God's law (the 10 commandments), we are not nearly as good as we think.

Previous 1