Community > Posts By > alexiateigra

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/20/08 07:05 PM

I think as created being we have been engineered to worship....I dont care who you are, your going to worship something..It can be your job, family, god, power etc...something is going to take your time,money and focus....

No, I think you aren't listening. Worship, as defined in Hebrew and Greek, would be to "to put something first". If the most important thing to you in the world is money, then in Hebrew or Greek, you would be worshipping money. English has the same language and usage for the words. "Money was his god" for instance. Worship, in both Hebrew and Greek didn't mean you revered something as a god, it meant that it was the first thing in your life. So yes, you can choose to not pray to money, but if it's the first thing in your life, then you are worshipping money all the same.

You are forgetting/ignoring the basic principal translation. One cannot take the literal translation without considering the way the word is intended to be used. In Hebrew and Greek, despite the literal translation of worship, worship has a strong implication even in Hebrew and Greek that gives rise that it is not necessarily the simple grind of life. For instance, if money had a high importance to you, then it is plausible that you might be appropriately described as someone that worships money. On the hand, simply having a job to earn money to pay bills does not equate to worshiping money.

In addition, one cannot disregard the contemporary meaning of a word. In today's language worship has a very strong implication in which the simple pursuit or desire of something does not mean worship.

The definition of worship: extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem. glasses glasses glasses

alexiateigra's photo
Fri 02/15/08 04:44 PM
Candy

alexiateigra's photo
Fri 02/15/08 04:43 PM
Private Benjamin:tongue:

alexiateigra's photo
Fri 02/15/08 04:42 PM

I think as created being we have been engineered to worship....I dont care who you are, your going to worship something..It can be your job, family, god, power etc...something is going to take your time,money and focus....

???????

Just because something takes your time/money/focus does not indicate whether you worship that something.

The definition of worship: extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem.

Furthermore, we, as human beings, were not designed to worship another necessary. If we worship anything, it is by choice. To imply that humans are engineered to worship, implies that humans are helpless lambs without freewill.

glasses

again what ever you put first in your life is what you worship..like it or not its the truth :tongue:

That is a cop out to truly understanding what it means to worship something and to have faith.

If that is all that is needed to worship something, then worshipping something would not have any meaning.

alexiateigra's photo
Fri 02/15/08 04:40 PM

???????

Just because something takes your time/money/focus does not indicate whether you worship that something.

The definition of worship: extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem.

Furthermore, we, as human beings, were not designed to worship another necessary. If we worship anything, it is by choice. To imply that humans are engineered to worship, implies that humans are helpless lambs without freewill.

glasses

In the Biblical context, "worship" means:

shachah (worship)
1) to bow down

a) (Qal) to bow down
b) (Hiphil) to depress (fig)
c) (Hithpael)
1) to bow down, prostrate oneself
a) before superior in homage
b) before God in worship
c) before false gods
d) before angel

This would mean to put anything above yourself. The Biblical meaning of the word "worship" would apply to a persuit of pleasure, money, possessions, etc. In English, the same thing can be true, as money can be an "object of esteem" or even called a "god".

You are assuming that the pursuit of something such as money is to hold it in high regards and above oneself. A person can pursue a career, money, anything without necessarily holding that object/concept in high regards and/or above him/herself.

For instance, it is true that one can pursue XYZ and worship XYZ, but the simple pursuit of XYZ does not equate to mean that one also worships XYZ. Bottom line is that, as human being, we have free will to either to choose to worship or not.

alexiateigra's photo
Thu 02/14/08 05:01 PM
Grizzly Adams

alexiateigra's photo
Thu 02/14/08 04:59 PM
Health Inspector.

This floor isn't clean enough!

alexiateigra's photo
Thu 02/14/08 04:57 PM
Gigi

alexiateigra's photo
Thu 02/14/08 04:56 PM
Edited by alexiateigra on Thu 02/14/08 04:56 PM

???????

glasses

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/13/08 05:13 PM
ghost hunter. <<<tosses scooby snack>>>>

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/13/08 05:12 PM
Chasity

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/13/08 05:09 PM
I'm waiting for the next heat wave!

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/13/08 05:04 PM
Scarlet happy

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/13/08 05:03 PM
hairstylist laugh

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/13/08 05:00 PM

I believe that religion was originally 'created' to explain the unknowns... as Lex also suggested.

Throw in with that mix the need for population control, and a set of rules needing to be established for what may have been considered to be for the greater good of all. Attribute those rules to that which could not be argued because of the reported source, and I believe that we have a 'winner' as to why... originally...

Throw in idealogical support of man's belief that s/he is superior to the other animals as well... As abra has also pointed out.

flowerforyou

I agree creativeflowerforyou I think you hit on all the points. The formed explanation of the unknown, then the believed greater good for all, the assumption of our superiority over all other living things then somewhere someone realized the power the control of the people weilds and thus evolves complex organized religions.

The source of it all though is our basic misunderstanding of that which is unknown to us.

Isn't it amazing that the end result of this evolution is a complexity of the modern organized religions. What will be the next evolution of this process?

Some of you have made some excellent points, but have also oversimplifies things as well. Yes, there are those that will use religion for political purposes to control the masses. Yes, there are those that will allow themselves to be easily swayed. Yes, there are those that will use religion as a tool for false sense of superiority. This is not true for all persons of faith or all faiths. Religion can have a positive impact for some. It can offer comfort for those that need. It can offer a moral compass for those in need. It can provide a positive social opportunity for many. The bottom line is that religion in itself is neither good or bad in most cases. It ultimately depends on those that are practicing and preaching whatever particular religion.

One thing to keep in mind is that faith is a personal decision that we all have to make for ourselves. Sometimes, our faith will be tested and we will have to re-evaluate, but it is our personal decision to make that decision in which there is not a right or wrong answer, but simply what is the best decision for us.

Although I am atheist, I can still recognize the good that most religions can offer society for those in need.

The one thing that I cannot stress enough, is regardless of your personal beliefs, it is important to show compassion to all. Thus, before anyone decides to ridicule a religion or others choice in believing, I suggest you have your facts straight.

alexiateigra's photo
Wed 02/13/08 04:34 PM
I use to read Harlequin romance novels. Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasse don't tell!!!!!!!!!!

alexiateigra's photo
Tue 02/12/08 06:42 PM
My favorite characters are roxie and the mom. drinker

alexiateigra's photo
Tue 02/12/08 06:41 PM

Queen Alex has returned! drinker

Its offical now, I'm addicted to Gundam Seed, I'm on episode 23 whoohoo!

Thanks. I've everyone. drinker I have gundam wing, but I still to add gundam seed to my list. I'm waiting for them to sell a box set.

alexiateigra's photo
Sun 02/10/08 09:02 PM
I just started watching Dead Like Me on DVD. Fantastic. On every episode, I have been f@#&ing crying my eyes out to laughing hysterically.

Anyone else ever watched this great series?

alexiateigra's photo
Sun 02/10/08 08:58 PM
It depends on the people, the circumstances, and the relationship. It is important to note that once trust is broken regardless of whether it can be rebuilt or not is not an indication of whether forgiveness can be given.

1 2 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 24 25