Community > Posts By > boo2u

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 01:55 PM

I can accept someone not saying the "under God" part

but I can't imagine anyone not wanting to pledge allegiance to the flag of our nation

remembering that the flag represents the FIRST nation on earth that allowed its own citizens to rule. The first nation on earth to grant absolute freedom and self determination to its people and represents pure liberty and feedom. even the freedom to burn the flag itself

its the principles to pledge to not just a brightly colored rag hangin on a pole

I guess it is an individual thing. I am torn as well because as a christian I can see it being a false idol (a piece of cloth) but as a real time citizen, I also understand the symbolism behind it. I grew up choosing not to say it but I respect those who do and I totally see the motivation for it and respect that too.

I think motive is the question, what was the motive to use it in the first place and what was the motive to add under god.

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 10:51 AM

I don't understand how you would think it's indoctrinating children.
I allways looked at it as having pride in my country.

i guess...because it's like swearing blind loyalty. i won't do that for anyone or anything. i have to use my own ethical compass to decide. not everything my country does is right, and i can't back what i don't believe in.

i'd rather swear to...be a better neighbor, be a better human, be a better mother; swear to better the world, at least in some small way; swear to stand up to injustice and for the little ones...

if that makes me a better individual than citizen, so be it.

I like that attitude. drinker

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 10:29 AM
So one can't be proud with out wearing in on one's sleeve? We need sayings in order to prove how we feel about our country. And who do we need to prove this to? Eachother? Are the children all reciting this to let eachother know we get the program?

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 10:21 AM

*in my best Obama voice*
I plegde that umm I ahhh wont beat my children any more. Ummm well maybe just ahhh not the oldest one any more.

Do I win do I win?

laugh laugh

Words are words, it's actions that should be noted.

If words turn people away from violence or change their direction, that is action. But hey I'm not trying to change your mind, because words don't always accomplish what they intend. Though one can hope. That wouldn't be Obama's fault, but he'll probably get blamed if people choose differently than intended.

Words do mean something, and we certainly do our part in spreading negativity with this obsession as well. Obsession with a prize Obama didn't even ask for...

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 09:33 AM

My girls say it in school every day! Yay!

I have no problem saying and I also don't have a problem for those who don't wish to say it.

To each his own.
my daughter's school called wanting to suspend my daughter for not saying it. she stood tall with the rest and was silent, she just didn't say the pledge.

suspend a straight-A child for such? really? i think not! i flat-out refused to have her punished.

i refused to say it even in kindergarten.

Good for you and for your daughter. I don't understand the rationality behind saying the pledge at all. Anyone know why it's even nessessary?
to me it feels like an indoctrination. a mass brainwashing, almost...let's teach them young to stand for the flag and not for themselves.

there are those that get all riled up that schools are doing an obama dance and song...and yet, to me, the pledge is along the same lines.

If it was mandatory and children were being FORCED to say it, then yes.

It's not though, well at least in some schools. haha comparing the obama song to the American flag is laughable.

Oh well guys, another brick wall post, we just won't agree or change each other's minds.frustrated

Great Country to have these freedoms of speech. :thumbsup:

Sarcasm noted. The difference here is that no one is trying to change anyones mind. Just explaining our own experience. You like it, great, no problem. I don't, no big deal either.

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 09:30 AM

I have no problem saying and I also don't have a problem for those who don't wish to say it.

To each his own.
my daughter's school called wanting to suspend my daughter for not saying it. she stood tall with the rest and was silent, she just didn't say the pledge.

suspend a straight-A child for such? really? i think not! i flat-out refused to have her punished.

Good for you and for your daughter. I don't understand the rationality behind saying the pledge at all. Anyone know why it's even nessessary?
to me it feels like an indoctrination. a mass brainwashing, almost...let's teach them young to stand for the flag and not for themselves.

there are those that get all riled up that schools are doing an obama dance and song...and yet, to me, the pledge is along the same lines.

Absolutely..

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 09:28 AM

To each his own.

Awwww, sorry you don't understand. :wink:

Ya I bet... rofl

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 09:21 AM

What does it say about the state of our country when we will not accept the honor given our president as just that an honor?

If the committee feels he deserves it and gives it to him isn't our job as American citizens to applaud?

I don't think its a duty to be applaud it. But if on is smart, no matter what I thought of it I wouldn't be putting him down for getting it. Why? Because it just makes those who do look petty and small. If I were the Republicans I wouldn't put my image further in the toilet by acting like children about it. Goes for the other side too had Bush won it.

I don't agree with putting him down. He isn't to blame at all. I just wish he would have earned it...but it's just my opinion that he didn't earn it ohwell

That's all this boils down to, he just didn't earn it. Whether I can't stand the man or not, he doesn't deserve it. Even some democrats say he doesn't earn it so bashing us conservatives for giving our honest opinion is hmmmm...... I'll be nice. :wink:
]]]

Can anyone give consistent examples,,based on the founders ideas and the commonality of past awardees,,how the award is EARNED?

I see it as a man who has a GLOBAL platform (not just in their own country) spreading a message of hope and peace, and also having a history of actions that indicate he is dedicated to and sincere about that hope and willing to put the work in to be a part of it,, as he has urged a GLOBAL audience to do. Many people do great things for their own and that is noble and Im sure some of those have received awards. Obama has done something on a Global scale where peace and hope are concerned, and he deserves it as well.

With your post it almost like that your trying to convince yourself that obama earned or deserved this award. All that this award has done is tie obama's hands and make us being the U.S look weaker in the world's eyes.Yes, I do give him credit for his never ending talking and speeches of "hope and change" BUT, that's all it is...talk. He can not or since it's too late, shouldn't have recieved this award. M.L.K, earned that award, Princess Di eared the award, The Dilai Lama eared that award as well. Now you are suggesting that obama has the right to even be mentioned in the same company???????

[/quote

Your attitude is so negative I don't know why anyone would really care that you find it undeserved. There are so many people in our country and the world that are happy that he recieved it, so it really doesn't matter that you insist he didn't deserve it. It's done already.

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 09:11 AM

To each his own.

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 08:44 AM

Since Katzen and I were discussing this and the whole flag issue elsewhere I thought I'd toss this out.

"The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States is an oath of loyalty to the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892. The Pledge has been modified four times since then, with the most recent change adding the words "under God" in 1954" From Wiki.

I don't say "Under God" as my parents didn't learn it that way, and refused to acknowledge the change.
that's okay, i don't say it at all...

I haven't since school, and frankly something about it is just weird to me, so I won't do it either, and I won't cross my heart. To some that would be considered UnAmerican. I don't see it that way.

no photo
Sun 10/11/09 08:43 AM
So much for seperation of church and state? I remember having to say the bloody thing before class every day of the year. I always thought it was a very strange thing to do on a daily basis. I went to catholic school so eventually thought it was just part of the indoctrination.

Just goes to show you that what you think might never happen, can happen.

no photo
Sat 10/10/09 08:31 PM
Geezuz, he won the damn prize, it's over and done with, how long are we going to harp on this...ill

no photo
Sat 10/10/09 05:25 PM

I think young people should not be taught about any religion until they can handle it and defend themselves against religious pushers. Don't mess up their heads before they can stand up to it emotionally. Give them some time to be children before screwing up their heads.

The same could be said about politics,,sadly,, government has been a mandatory class since I can remember....

Actually I don't remember politics in school having the kind of life long affect that religion did. Took me years to shake religion, and it's still not completely out of my system.:smile:

no photo
Sat 10/10/09 09:38 AM

Ok - so let's analyze this. Below is information directly from the website and my comments (of course) C o m e ooonn have some fun - cos that's all this is worth, a little fun....................

Interesting isn't it? whoa Just makes me crazy, it's getting harder and harder to keep up with the loons.

no photo
Sat 10/10/09 09:21 AM

Really an example of TOO little information. I would love to see the actual DOCUMENTED reasons the action was taken.

He heavens, don't ask for that, they are too content in their anxiety over everything Obama. After all we know that no sherriff could ever be guilty of such things. lmao

no photo
Sat 10/10/09 07:20 AM
I think young people should not be taught about any religion until they can handle it and defend themselves against religious pushers. Don't mess up their heads before they can stand up to it emotionally. Give them some time to be children before screwing up their heads.

no photo
Fri 10/09/09 10:21 PM

I thought the meatloaf went to bed. I KNOW she didn't get me choclates

Nah, just took a break, if I had those chocolates they'd keep me up too late.. Oh wait it is late. They'd keep me up later. Oh geez I should be sleeping.

no photo
Fri 10/09/09 09:42 PM

Mmm Mmm Mmm Barack Hussein Obama

Mmm Mmm Mmm Barack Hussein Obama

LOL that's a good Rush impression but it's not the same with out Rush's insane body language, where his is flailing about and jumping up and down in his seat. LOL

I just thought it was colorful laugh

I said that because he must have seen Rush the other night bouncing in his seat saying those exact words like a song. It was pretty funny to watch him act crazy like that. He was emphasising the mmm mmm mmm bho over and over. Made me think if a little bratty kid.

No boo I don't watch Rush. Those are some of the words to a song gradeschoolers were singing.

Oh ok ya, I saw that too, but it made me think of Rush first, and was funnier with it actually.

no photo
Fri 10/09/09 07:35 PM

I'm going to keep talking and post a lot just to irate you laugh

Me? Seriously? And that would be different from like... any other time? LMAO Nah, you go ahead, you win, I'm too pooped.

no photo
Fri 10/09/09 07:13 PM

boo...I was going on the article plus the date when the voting closed

get me some chocolate too. laugh

I know what you are going on, silly, your just not getting my point. No chocolate for you. You brain doesn't need it.. :tongue:

no I get your point...I just disagree with it...nothing more or less. If you want to celebrate it...I think that is great. I feel different

WOMAN!!!!! get me chocolate!!!!!laugh

Bite me Putin, I'm not your goffer... You don't need chocolate tonight...

I never need chocolate. I rarely eat sweets but the halloween candy gets me in the mood for it laugh

now go....run like the wind to the store laugh

Only if you pay me and I can use your broom.... rofl tongue2

the cat tore up the broom so you'll have to walk or hike

forgot to add laugh

Damn cat. Oh well, your $rewed then, ain't no way I'm going out for sweets.

and you say I'm the witch grumble :tongue:

Oh no you don't. I ain't fallin in that trap.. :laughing:

1 2 10 11 12 14 16 17 18 24 25