Community > Posts By > thewalrusx

no photo
Sun 06/29/08 06:02 PM
I listen to a lot of classic rock (music form the 60's 70' 80s)where love songs are common. It seems like very few modern artists actually sing about love, and when you do find a love song its overly sexual, dramatically painful, or very angry.

Firstly I think sexual songs are wonderful to hear sometimes, but songs (to me) sound deeper and more meaningful when they focus on love's other qualities.

There are so many modern song writers who focus on break ups, rejections and problem relationships. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact there are so many times when I need to hear about the more painful side of love, its just the way they are presented. Like take "Dashboard Confessional" they sing focusing on the pain and how its unbearable, but its comes off as bitter and pathetic and will leave you feeling that way too. Its just not helpful nor healthy to listen to. Other hard rock groups (Disturbed, Slipknot, ect) sound angry and violent about their experiences and will likewise leave you feeling that way. Its not that I don't like their music I do, I just think its an unhealthy way of focusing your negative feelings after feeling romantic pain.

A 70's love ballad might make you a little sad, but it will also comfort you, because there is comfort and hope in those songs. For example:
Player - Baby Come Back
Little Texas - What Might Have Been
Paul Davis - I Go Crazy

They make you feel like it was okay to feel sad, and that usually helps people get over that special person.

Am I wrong? Are there artists still out there that really know how to write a love song?

1 2 4 Next