Community > Posts By > jamesphillips91

jamesphillips91's photo
Mon 04/08/13 10:29 AM
Drive (watched it twice). Loved it :)

jamesphillips91's photo
Tue 01/15/13 11:29 AM
Anyone digging Lja? They're a Norwegian band I discovered recently.

jamesphillips91's photo
Thu 12/20/12 08:13 PM

Im looking to expand my knowledge of artists Can anyone help?
i know:
-Skrillex Of course
-Deadmouse
-Blue Foundation
-Nero
-Omnitica
-Daft Punk
-Justice
-MGMT
-La Roux
-DJ Fresh
-Subliminal Substance
-Alex Clare
and i thiiiink thats it.

I'd add:
Rusko
Figure
Sub Focus
Infected Mushroom
Llamatron
Knife Party
Excision
xKore
Savant
Flux Pavilion

Enjoy!

jamesphillips91's photo
Wed 12/19/12 09:05 PM
Edited by jamesphillips91 on Wed 12/19/12 09:18 PM
From what I know about gun control in the US, I agree that tighter measures should be in place to stop vulnerable or sociopathic people from getting hold of guns. However, it seems illogical to me that anyone would want to ban something just because there is the potential someone could be irresponsible with it. A gun is a very dangerous item, of course, but in the right hands (say a collector or a hunter perhaps) it seems viable to suggest, should these people pass the necessary 'tests', that their ownership shouldn't be considered a threat.

A great article on the subject:
http://8minutesoffame.com/america-freedom-vs-freedom/

jamesphillips91's photo
Wed 12/19/12 08:28 PM
It can work sometimes. Money is a factor of course.

jamesphillips91's photo
Mon 12/17/12 11:21 PM
Happiness for me goes hand in hand with being content with how your life is going, regardless whether or not it meets prior expectations. Living in the moment, basically. I sincerely hope everyone here is happy :)

jamesphillips91's photo
Mon 12/17/12 11:17 PM
Love the chess set!

jamesphillips91's photo
Mon 12/17/12 11:12 PM
Such a good chat-up line hahaha XD

jamesphillips91's photo
Sun 12/16/12 09:26 AM
Any of you out there? I have always been fascinated with the design, execution and presentation of theme parks (not professionally) as well as the rides and experience as a whole. Later on, I've used roller coasters as a way to test my endurance, the practice of which resides in a subcategory all of its' own. Is it just me or do other people share this obsession? If so, what are your favourite kinds of rides, manufacturers, parks or designers?

jamesphillips91's photo
Sat 12/15/12 06:25 PM
I make a concerted effort not to be close-minded, in life as well as in art. I've found, for the most part, that it's opened me up to people and movements and ideas that I've grown to really appreciate and, in some case, adopt :)

jamesphillips91's photo
Sat 12/15/12 06:07 PM
That's incredibly sad to hear Anita.

jamesphillips91's photo
Sat 12/15/12 08:13 AM

Greetings \m/ Play lead and vocals myself mezzo suprano so it's nightwish style vocals for me, operatic. Indeed alot of my influence is behemoth. As well as all the greats megadeth so lots of jazz scale thrown in there.

For lyric writing I tend to get alot of my influence from the vedic texts or ancient cultures such as summeria or you could plain old write poetry. That is definitly something I love about metal is it encompasses aspects of science mythology and archeology. Definitly the most broad topics are braught forth via this genre of music more than any other.
Or even topics like alchemy and astrophysics, for example Vintersorg's astral and arcane album one of my favorites.

As a scientist by nature I tend to lean towards music about astronomy and also when it comes to lyric writing.
I don't know of any other genre of music in existance that encompasses such a broad spectrum of topics . Really there is a band for every interest even larping. :D 3 inchses of blood Blind Guardian for the J.R.R tolkieners etc.

I find picking 1 theme helps in the creative process, and building upon that. Pick what you like and build on it.

pantera,slayer ,children of bodom, megadeath,metallica,lamb of god, dimmu borgir,behemo:heart: th,arch enemy,amon amarth

To expand upon one band in particular dimmu borgir with one of their most recent singles gateways a song I adore,

To me it means to take responsibility for all aspects of your life, and that you are the creater or create the world you live in by your choices. Alot of metal has profound spiritual revelations if you will and messages especially of "being the change you wish to see" wich is the core message to alot of these types of lyrics. One could analize for hours the core aspects of philosophy's but the main theme is clear.Be the change you wish to see(Ex Hatebreed), atleast thats what I hear when I hear this song amoung others the repeating notion of self empowerment that we can all achieve. There are bands also that do the oposite , again this genre of music encompasses all aspects of the human condition in it's expression.Which leads me to true black metal

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Gateways-lyrics-Dimmu-Borgir/84B236A51764270D482577B6000AD5DA

This is just my thoughts on metal as a whole. I don't know about anyone else here but Metal is my life, my essence, my core principal of freedom. :) glad to see i am not alone here I raise my horns in salute brothers and sisters of metal \m/:banana:

LOVE Dimmu Borgir! Currently trying to be a drummer in a death metal band ('trying' as in it's all been set-up but the band members haven't met each other in person yet :D).

jamesphillips91's photo
Sat 12/15/12 08:10 AM
Arnold Schwarzenegger's beefy arm with...

jamesphillips91's photo
Sat 12/15/12 08:06 AM
I'm all for equality, so feminism (which is essentially just an endorsement of the equal rights of women) is a-ok. Radical feminism on the other hand feels less about equality and more about retribution, which I'm not so keen on (well, not at all really). I'd rather judge people as 'people' first and foremost before I start looking at gender-related factors.

jamesphillips91's photo
Fri 12/14/12 07:59 PM
Rock on, bastet! lol :D

jamesphillips91's photo
Fri 12/14/12 05:29 PM
Do the Batusi, sipping...

jamesphillips91's photo
Fri 12/14/12 01:27 PM

I'll check out the Deftones as well. Haven't really made an effort to listen to their stuff properly in the past.

Deftones are badass. Was sort of disappointed when I saw them live though. Maybe it was just a bad show.

IDK - I've seen video but never live - I like most of their stuff - earlier stuff but have not been listening much lately - this topic put me in the mood tho....I love felicitera

The early evidence suggests they're pretty awesome. Sounds like I could really get into them - shame if they're not so great live though.

jamesphillips91's photo
Fri 12/14/12 01:15 PM
Edited by jamesphillips91 on Fri 12/14/12 01:15 PM
Ha, that's largely what I've been trying to do! (beginning with Cannibal Holocaust and ending God knows where). Obviously a rite of passage for horror fans. I've yet to see the Guinea Pig films, so definitely making my way round to Japanese stuff in the near future. Will check it out.

jamesphillips91's photo
Fri 12/14/12 01:04 PM
Edited by jamesphillips91 on Fri 12/14/12 01:05 PM
I got the Vomit Gore Trilogy box set recently as an impulse buy - I was aware people's views on his stuff were totally marmite - but I actually really enjoyed all 3 films and the short film 'A Perfect Child of Satan'. They reminded me of an early David Lynch, but about twice as perverted :P I'm excited to see Black Metal Veins now.

jamesphillips91's photo
Fri 12/14/12 12:56 PM
I'll check out the Deftones as well. Haven't really made an effort to listen to their stuff properly in the past.

Previous 1