Community > Posts By > ae1973

ae1973's photo
Mon 04/28/08 06:16 PM

Yea but laws are ultimately placed by a restricted group of people, and some of those laws have been around forever. Its not like these people were legally married, and if they were then theres another strike against our government for not realizing one man married 17 women (or however many there were). As far as underage pregnancies, some states have maternity leave in high schools now. No one is going around arresting the 15 or 16 yr old guy who got the 15 or 16 yr old girl pregnant. If that were the case they would have locked me up 14 yrs ago when I had my son at 16.

People believe differently. Yea I think its bizzare, but its what they know and believe. My two best friends are a lesbian couple. They are the most die hard, incredible people I know. I would be offended if someone said it was illegal for them to be together. We have been raised in a society that makes this wrong. Catholocism is just as bizzare if you think about it. Catholics BOUGHT TICKETS to see the Pope. If God is supposed to be the end all, mighty one...why are people confessing sins to a priest and buying tickets to be in a room with the Pope?
I don't think polygamy should be illegal, but I don't think parents should be marrying off underage girls either. Young girls are impressionable. I know, I was one a million years ago. Someone has to look out for their best interest if there parents will not.

ae1973's photo
Mon 04/28/08 05:01 PM
I have a theory... Men ususally take a picture when they catch a big fish. It may be the only pics they have of themselves. What I don't get is why they post pics of themselves posing with other women. It makes them look like a womanizer. In my opinion.

ae1973's photo
Mon 04/28/08 04:20 PM

Is it wrong to tell a child that Santa Claus may not or does not exist?

How do you know he doesn't?

JB bigsmile
That was a struggle I faced with my son. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little childhood magic. I do celebrate christmas, but the holiday to me is about Santa and Christmas trees. I guess I stole it from Christianity, but it is fun for my kid. I told him about the tooth fairy too. Santa Claus is a good, kind thing. He will figure it out, and when he does, I won't deny it. I tell my son that he can believe what he wants. When he asks me questions about Jesus and God, I try to answer to the best of my ability "Some people believe...". I also tell him that I don't believe it is true. Sadly, I think I teach my son more tolerance of other's beliefs than some religious people.

ae1973's photo
Mon 04/28/08 04:13 PM
Well, even if it does turn out that in this particular case, there was no child abuse. We have heard of the child abuse occuring in other polygimist situations. It is fairly well known. I am all for personal rights, but child abuse is something that should be investigated.

ae1973's photo
Sun 04/27/08 04:18 PM

I can't wait to see how many brothers and mothers are actually sisters and cousins...errrrrrindifferent
Eww. You are probably right. That gives me the creeps.

ae1973's photo
Sun 04/27/08 04:13 PM
True. I guess it would be up to the police if they were breaking the law. That is probably all you can do.

ae1973's photo
Sun 04/27/08 03:57 PM

you are right....speaking what you believe isn't wrong. telling someone else they are wrong is IMO....humans aren't all knowning . it's only what the individual holds as true. telling someone they are wrong for their beliefs or pushing things only invites anger and argument, unless the other can just walk away and ignore the person and stay away.
Have you ever heard the story of "The Emporor's New Clothes"? Is it always best to let people believe what they want even if they are wrong. Like in a cult situation where it could be harmful to others?

ae1973's photo
Sun 04/27/08 03:53 PM
I know many states have a legal age to marry. But I think maybe parents can waive it. Maybe that is what is happening here. Perhaps parents should not be allowed to waive the age limit right.

ae1973's photo
Sun 04/27/08 03:47 PM
I wonder if these women in Texas would be poligamist if they were not forced into it young. Easier to brainwash that way.

ae1973's photo
Sun 04/27/08 03:45 PM
I suppose so. At least it would be out in the open.

ae1973's photo
Sun 04/27/08 03:43 PM
Has anyone been following the polygamist thing in Texas. I think they are a cult and child abusers for forcing young girls into marriage. However, I don't have a problem with poligamy per se. If it were consenting adults. Should it be illegal? Not that I would do it myself, but different strokes for different folks right? I would like to hear what others think about the subject.

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 06:40 PM

abra...not trying to speak for seth...but what I got out of it was...what she is saying makes it a religion...not that she is trying to convert or anything...

now go write a poem so rabbit can make another song lol

You won't get rid of me that easy. laugh

Well, if a person wants to claim that all beliefs are 'religions' then I can't argue with that stance.

But it seems to me that her original complaint is that the her friend is trying to convert her (i.e. 'save' her). That's PREACHING.

I don't see where ae1973 is preaching.

Now, I'll run off and write a song. bigsmile
You are right Abra. There is no way that lack of belief could be a religion. I bet they don't believe in bigfoot, but I would hardly call non-belief in bigfoot a religion.

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 06:08 PM

A real christian would stop after being told, U might point this out 2 your friend, that is in the bible.
The world would be a better place without religon.
But religon dosnt only mean a belief in god, Many Things and/or ideas have become a religon to people, Global warming, No global warming, Even not believing in god is a religon, Some types of people always try 2 push their Lifestyles on others.
How is not believing in god a religion?

Religious people like to say other things are a religion so that they can attack them. Of course Atheism isn't a religion and either is science. They are trying to say "you hold on to beliefs that make you feel good just like I do"

It is not the same as religion.

The issue with Christians is that they feel they have the one true answer so they are usually just talking because of their excitement for what they feel religion has brought them and the fact that they are taught to proselytize.
So all that being said I think our only solution is to tell people how great it is to live as an atheist. It is important that people start knowing we are here and are doing good.
Look at yourself, you are doing the same thing that you accuse others of doing, You point out that some people say "you hold on to beliefs that make you feel good just like i do"(your own quote) And then end with your own selfrightous "It is important that people start knowing we are here and are doing good" Exactily like all religous lifestyles, weather it is 4 god or communisim or anti global warming or no god. U are preaching ur own religion.
I don't consider not believing in gods a lifestyle or a religion. God does not come up in my daily life unless someone brings it up to me (like my original post) or someone picks on my kid.

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 06:03 PM

Yeah well "Friend" is a four letter word. grumble Usually means they're planning on pouring sugar in your gas tank while paying someone else to sodomize your mother.
Jeez. If I say "friend", it just means I don't want to sleep with them. You must of had some bad experiences.frown

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 06:00 PM

But I am torn because I fully believe the world would be a better place without religon. What have others done?

As far as I can see, you have every right to argue to her that there is no God as she has to argue to you that there is one. But who wants to do that??? Like you say, you just don’t want to be bothered by the whole godforsaken issue in the first place. You don’t want to sit around arguing about it.

I’ve never had the problem you speak of. A friend who tries to push religion onto me all the time after I’ve made it clear that I’m not interested isn’t going to be my friend for very long. laugh

I think you are right. If they bring it up, I should be able to state my case with a clear conscience. She knows where the conversation would go before she even brings it up.

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 05:52 PM

plain and simple....you can't control what she says or does unless you tie her up and gag her. you have the choice here. you can chose to live with it, contiue to tell her to stop or stopa all or partial contact with her. if she wants to force things on people...that's up to her to do. if you don't like it...it's up to you to chose what you want to do. you can only answer or change yourself
I think I tolerate her because she believes I am going to hell and doesn't want me to. So I guess it is out of love? I don't even think she is trying to be disrespectful, I think she is ignorant.

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 05:48 PM

A real christian would stop after being told, U might point this out 2 your friend, that is in the bible.
But religon dosnt only mean a belief in god, Many Things and/or ideas have become a religon to people, Global warming, No global warming, Even not believing in god is a religon, Some types of people always try 2 push their Lifestyles on others.

You must not know what a religon is.
Some people make a religon of preaching global warming 2 everyone, Others have made a religon of preaching that there is no global warming 2 everyone, Right or wrong both groups are doing the same thing, thay both think that thay are right and everyone else is wrong. was WWI started over GOD? Wore the french trying 2 force the germans 2 believe in god? No. Nor in WWII, Nor korea, Nor viet nam, Nor the gulf. Satinisim Is a religon. Some police watch COPS religiously.
Sorry, still don't get you. If you don't belive in purple cows, would that be a religion too? (I am assuming you don't believe in purple cows. If you do, then you will not get my point. LOL)

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 05:37 PM
The absolute worse... When you are IMing someone and then comes the question. "Can I ask you a personal question".
Ladies, I can tell you, never say 'OK' to that. The question is always the same. I don't want to tell you because it is inappropriate...

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 05:34 PM
I am tired of guys telling me they are "nice guys". It's amazing, everyone is a nice guy.LOL. I think I will be the judge of that. LOL.

ae1973's photo
Thu 04/24/08 05:24 PM

Previous 1