Community > Posts By > Walknthepark

no photo
Thu 04/05/12 05:19 PM
My kid is only 3, so respect is about considering others' feelings. It is saying hi to other kids at the playground, sharing toys, waiting your turn, and being careful especially around littler kids.

As a parent, I think that modeling respectful behavior starts with my child's father, but also applies to other role models like grandparents and teachers. So, that means speaking positively whenever possible and choosing not to say negative things. We also talk about emotions-mine, my kid's, friends, strangers, whoever or whatever we see. I think that learning empathy is at the heart of respectful behavior-the old Golden Rule.

I also really like the distinction between respect and admiration! I am going to remember and use that one!

no photo
Thu 04/05/12 05:08 PM
Children raised by a single parent aren't doomed. Some studies have shown that, given similar socio-economic conditions, there are actually statistical advantages to single parent households like increased extended family quality time and more personal interactions with the parent. Strong, positive male role models do not need to be the father, or even a "new"man in mom's life.

On the original question, I think that women are faced with more permanent decisions when pregnant if they feel they don't actually want to be a parent "right now" than men. It's pretty easy to just walk away as a man thinking you could come back if you wanted (the reality is that it often isn't). Also, if a woman realizes she doesn't want to be with the father anymore, the fetus comes with her.