Community > Posts By > afriQueen22

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 10:42 AM

The one thing I have learned - and it came as a sudden shock one day - is that forgetting the deceased is the most horrible part.

I was in my freshman year in college, first semester, when I realized I no longer remembered what my paternal grandmother looked like. I couldn't remember the sound of her voice. All I could remember was that she had accidentally broken my Hamburglar glass one day, and she was very apologetic about it. Some 12 years after her death, I suddenly felt the grief of her passing all over again. From that point on, I went out of my way to honor her memory by learning about her Irish roots - history, music, genealogy....I made sure I could never forget her again.

I can definately relate to that. I remember when I forgot what my mother looked like. It felt like such a huge betrayal by me, her own daughter. losing her the first time was bad enough, but having her die in my memories as well seemed like my own fault. Now I have pictures of her everywhere.

I wholeheartedly agree that the process of grief and healing is different for all of us. Thank you so much for sharing.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 07:20 AM

There's a book called 'Necessary Losses' by Judith Viorst.

She's done some childrens books but this is not one of them.

Its really about change.

I read it during my divorce, and found so much comfort in it. Its also about dealing with death.

I've read a book called, "Where is God when it hurts?" by Phillip Yancey. Having being raised in a christian household, I wanted some answers from the Big Guy and I wasn't getting any. This book really helped.
Will be sure to look up yours as well.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 07:15 AM

Imagine if you'd never met Rick at all...

I do imagine that...I guess I believe that ignorance is bliss...

Never having held in my hands the happiness I experienced with him would allow me to still be happy in my ignorance. Stupid I know. While I cherish and treasure each and every minute we got to spend together, those moments are too close to my heart and hurtfull right now. I pray that folks who tell me time heals all wounds are correct, I just wish time would fly by in an instant.

Give yourself permission to morn in your own time and your own way...Your are the ONLY one who feels like YOU feel, you are unique, the love you and Rick shared is unique...What you are doing right now, to me, is a sign of healing, reaching out...Don't resist the feelings you are experiencing...

Well said.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 07:12 AM
So a nice, quiet romantic dinner seems to be what people define as a good first date. But what is your idea of a bad one?

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 07:05 AM

I do imagine that...I guess I believe that ignorance is bliss...

Never having held in my hands the happiness I experienced with him would allow me to still be happy in my ignorance. Stupid I know. While I cherish and treasure each and every minute we got to spend together, those moments are too close to my heart and hurtfull right now. I pray that folks who tell me time heals all wounds are correct, I just wish time would fly by in an instant.

A lot of us are comfortable walking around in our own misery. Why risk happiness if it could be taken away from you? I wish I knew the answer to that.

I've personally decided to try paying it forward; to try loving as I have been loved. Whether it be friends, family, strangers, or maybe the man I'll marry one day, or the children I might have. It shouldn't stop with me. It's no use placing a candle under the bed and sitting in the dark. Even if that littke girl down the street, or that random old man in the mall never knew who my granfather was, I want them to see a little of him in me.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:49 AM

I personally tell myself..."Don't cry cause the song is over...Smile cause you got to dance"

It ain't always easy but, it can done.

I agree :smile:

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:43 AM

I don't know for a fact but, I sincerely believe that the dead would want us to enjoy our lives as much as we can.

Kruppa, I too believe this statement, but this is where I am having trouble. I know Rick would want me to be happy, living life to the fullest, and letting no one hurt me. But my catch 22 is that everything in the past four years that brought me my greatest joy was something we did together. I am not sure I know how to find that again without him. I know I have to re-learn this stuff. I love hockey, yet every time I have gone to watch a game I am always looking for him over by the penality box. Every tv program we watched together brings tears to my eyes. What is the point of comming up with a witty comeback, a gracefull slap-stick stumble or a side splitting joke if he is not here to share it with? And yet, I am also hurting that I have let him down by still being sad. Again I am a disapointment to someone. OP I wish I could help or offer a suggestion, but right now I am in the same boat.

Unfortunatly in this society we live in, grieving = loss and loss = not being worthy. It is almost like being an untouchable in other countries. Shunned and even more alone with nothing but thoughts of your lost loved one. People tell me, get out, socialize, do something. Who has the time or money these days? I sure do not. So what now? Picnic at the park feeding the geese? Great, a romantic picnic without your loved one with you. (LOOSER) How about a comedic movie? Sitting all alone and no one to elbow when the jokes are too lame. (Looser sitting alone in a theatre, where is the long raincoat?) Volunteer at a retirement home,read to the elderly. ( Sure and get attached to someone else that will leave you when they die?) Hell I can't even go to the grocery store without thinking of Rick. His favorite foods or the ornery things we did while shopping. Shoot, I can't even be in the frozen foods section without crying. People think I am nutz. God if only there was a switch to turn this emotional stuff off I would be eternally gratefull.

So untill that switch flipps off of its own accord, I mingle, do my school work and work till I fall asleep in my chair.

I'm not a great taker of my own advice, but I've found that curling up into a ball waiting for death, doesn't work.
I remember days (most recent being today), that I would lay in my bed and whisper, "Give me life, or give me death." And I remamber telling a friend of mine that death punishes me by letting me live. All-in-all, the road back to sunlight isn't easy.
If I've learnt anything from the other posters it's this; I shouldn't think of everyday as a punishment because those I loved are no longer in it. More I should cherish the days we had together and think of everyday as a celebration of a life once lived. She's not here anymore and a lot of things remind me of her, but instead of shying away from them like I used to, I guess now I can look at our old flat and remember that she lived.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:33 AM

In three years I lost 14 family and friends to death..some were a natural process of living, some were taken way to young. I still grieve for them..still ask all the usual questions, why did it happen? Why am I still here when they were taken. The only way it makes any sense is to believe that their lives weren't in vain..they were here for a reason. Each one of us has something to give another person. We may not know what it is at the time, but we all affect the people we come in contact with. For me, I'm learning to appreciate each day I have with someone, to thank God that they are still in my life. The hardest thing was learning to laugh again. I try now to laugh everyday, to hug the people around me and to tell them I love them, unconditionally.

"Why?" The single most unanswerable question ever. I'm so glad you've learnt to appreciate those that are still with you. I think we've all discovered that a lifetime isn't as long as we used to think. Too short infact, to not spend most of our time laughing.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:22 AM

I'm currently reading a book called, Sweet Temptation and I've gotten to the part where one of the heroines loses her mother to cancer... And this is where I'm tempted to stop reading because not only can I not stop crying, but I'm dreading the happily ever after of her finding life after death.

Which brings me to this:
1. Five years ago, I lost my mother and then five more members of my immediat family during those five years. I've found that everytime I hear or even read about death, whether real or in the pages of a book, I take it very personally, as if it's happening to me all over again. Does that happen to anybody else?

2. Is there life after death, and how does one go about obtaining it? I'm not talking about merely existing, but living in every sense of the word.

I'll leave it at that because I'd hate to start sounding like a whiner, but just out of curiousity, who has loved and lost and is now trying to live again?

I loved and lost 34 years ago. You never get over it but it becomes tolerable.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
it's been 8yrs since i lost my father and nephew within 2weeks...
I never get over it, it only become tolerable for me now.

If our losses becoming tolerable or bearable is all that we can hope for, then I wish that for us all.
I hope everyday gets brighter still flowerforyou

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:13 AM

Death is a tough thing to deal with. I do believe in the after life.

Sorry for your loses. I know these feelings all to well. I've learned that life here is just part of the whole picture and there are many chapters to the process. Looks like your learning a lot these days, life, love. Glad you have chosen us as part of your family.

Thank You. I'm starting to think joining Mingle was the best idea my friends ever came up with.

I believe in heaven and all that, although the idea of my mother watching me everyday is a bit scary, but I was thinking more along the lines of life after death for those of us who are left behind.

Yes, there is life after death for those left behind.....My father passed on August 25th this year ...three months ago.....He was 90 so of course that makes it easier to understand and accept, he lived a long, productive, happy life...Was my relationship with my dad perfect?...No...Was it positive?...Yes, very...
His death is not a ball and chain that drags me down, for me that would be an invalidation of his life..When he was living, he built a platform just for me. Every single day something triggers a memory, a thought, or a feeling that I can relate to my dad...Every day the platform he built for me becomes a little stronger, a little higher, a little better...Thank you daddy....

flowerforyou I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:10 AM

I'm currently reading a book called, Sweet Temptation and I've gotten to the part where one of the heroines loses her mother to cancer... And this is where I'm tempted to stop reading because not only can I not stop crying, but I'm dreading the happily ever after of her finding life after death.

Which brings me to this:
1. Five years ago, I lost my mother and then five more members of my immediat family during those five years. I've found that everytime I hear or even read about death, whether real or in the pages of a book, I take it very personally, as if it's happening to me all over again. Does that happen to anybody else?

2. Is there life after death, and how does one go about obtaining it? I'm not talking about merely existing, but living in every sense of the word.

I'll leave it at that because I'd hate to start sounding like a whiner, but just out of curiousity, who has loved and lost and is now trying to live again?

When I lose the people I love, I try to celebrate their life rather than morn their death. I believe, that, everyone I have loved and lost lives on through me and the happy memories we shared. The beauty of their life always over shadows their death for me.

Comforting thoughts. I live, therefore they do too...

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:08 AM

Just my take on it doll.....

This one life we got is to be lived and enjoyed right now. We will all deal with death and what comes after later on. That book you are reading honestly sounds depressing.

Every last one of us has loved and lost BabyDoll. The question becomes, do we cling to a ship that has sunk or do we make a consious effort to live today to it's fullest without the past dragging us down?

I don't know for a fact but, I sincerely believe that the dead would want us to enjoy our lives as much as we can.

As I once said to one of my friends after she lost her mother, "She gave you life, the best way to honour her is by living it." ... Hypocritical me. Should start taking my own advice.

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 06:03 AM

Which brings me to this:

I loved and lost 34 years ago. You never get over it but it becomes tolerable.

That also gets me wondering, what does "getting over it" mean?

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 05:26 AM

Sorry for your loses. I know these feelings all to well. I've learned that life here is just part of the whole picture and there are many chapters to the process. Looks like your learning a lot these days, life, love. Glad you have chosen us as part of your family.

Thank You. I'm starting to think joining Mingle was the best idea my friends ever came up with.

I believe in heaven and all that, although the idea of my mother watching me everyday is a bit scary, but I was thinking more along the lines of life after death for those of us who are left behind.

Takes a while to get use to it. I'm not sure I'm use to it yet.

I do feel kind of silly and self-indulgent sometimes, like 5 years is long enough for you to stop thinking that it's all been a very horrible dream.

I also tend to feel a tad hypocritical when I tell my friends who go through similar experiences that it will get better, "this too shall pass". I guess it's something to believe in, otherwise we might as well all curl up and die with them.

How long has it been for you, if you don't mind my asking?

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 05:11 AM

afriQueen22's photo
Sun 11/20/11 04:55 AM

Which brings me to this:

afriQueen22's photo
Sat 11/19/11 11:42 PM

So I started this new book by Danielle Steel. I would like some feed back on anyone who reads this author often. I have read two or three previous books on her and I see a trend. She seems to repeat herself over and over about a subject. I am beginning to feel that her books are targeted to gifted (special) people. Anybody?

I get what you mean, that's also why I stopped reading her. I stopped reading Nicholas Sparks for the same reason.

afriQueen22's photo
Sat 11/19/11 11:38 PM

For some reason I got caught up in those Stephanie Plum books slaphead

They were funny at first but now, at 17 books in, they're one long re-run...But I still can't stop reading the damn things, just in case she chooses finally.frustrated

Help!

I know what you mean! Personally, I'm on team Ranger

Steph and I are both sluts b/c I can't choose which one either. When she's with Joe I'm all "What's your problem?!? Take him and those choco eyes in the room and make and honest man out of him!" But then Ranger looks at her from under his lashes with that non-smile, says "babe"...ahh, I jump ship and yell at her to jump him!

I know!!! But Morelli just isn't as mysterious as Ranger. They're making a movie out of the books, unfortunately the movie characters just aren't as gorgeous as the book characters.

afriQueen22's photo
Sat 11/19/11 12:05 PM
Sounds good.
I agree with you, a nice quiet place where we can chat and just get to know each other.

afriQueen22's photo
Sat 11/19/11 09:45 AM
So I've had more thn a couple of guys ask me out to the movies as a first date, and I just find that less than an ideal place for a first date.
It's dark, quiet and at that point, I don't think we know each other well enough for him to see me eat popcorn.

What is your idea of a good, or even a bad first date?
Feel free to share your experiences as well.