Community > Posts By > tautologic

no photo
Sun 07/15/12 11:48 PM
First comes compatability. Then comes love.

You have to get along in order for a relationship to work. Once you start to build that relationship, then love sets in.

When we first meet someone and start dating, we are infatuated with them. Love requires unending work. It isn't a given. If you aren't compatable, you will never build and maintain the love.

no photo
Sun 07/15/12 11:46 PM

Just be careful Teri. Sometimes when things are so great..something isn't right.
Just be careful. I am happy for you.

I agree with this. People who feel the need to "buy" their friends are either desperate due to lacking social skills or are putting on a false bravado.

no photo
Sun 07/15/12 11:43 PM

There have been men that aren't my "type" per se but when I got to know them they were really great and I became attracted to their intelligence and personality..

I think we limit ourselves too much with the whole "type" idea. I've seen this over and over again in my life. Especially with my friends who continue to chase after the same "type" of guy, and always end up disappointed or hurt.

no photo
Sun 07/15/12 11:41 PM

But lets be real. Honesty and trust come later but initially the spark has to be there, the physical attraction, the omg he's cute attraction needs to be there. Or else there will never be the moment to find out if he's a player or a keeper.

It's not always about physical attraction. The spark can be lit simply by meeting and conversation. So to get the best chance, you have to be approachable, which usually means doing the approaching. Women aren't just going to fall in your lap. (well, usually) You have to work for their attention.

Physical attraction and the "omg he's cute" is different for every woman. Just as it is for every man.

no photo
Fri 07/13/12 03:00 PM
chocolate covered raisins

no photo
Tue 07/10/12 10:25 AM

IF women only KNEW the power they held. Its a pet project of mine to start a program throughout the schools teaching girls from a young age of their value and power so fewer will grow up to 'settle' for such crap from some of these men.

If we could have a generation that begun to expect more and even demand more of their male partners, I am positive the male partners would step up to the plate.

As it stands, they dont need to, so they often choose not to,,,

seriously, instead of prioritizing how good they are in the sack, females need to prioritize a mans CHARACTER and sense of responsibility and respect.

Yes but this starts in the home, a child is only going to mimic what they see their parents doing. Chances are, if a mother settles for abuse or negative behavior, the daughter will settle. If a father is a deadbeat or womanizer, the son will be a dead beat and womanizer.

I truly believe that until society as a whole goes back to the ideology of the "nuclear family", families, marriage and relationships are going to continue to degrade.

no photo
Tue 07/10/12 05:55 AM
There is another saying that advises, "Forgiveness is not so much for the forgivee as it is for the forgiver". You forgive for yourself. It isn't healthy to hold on to anger and resentment and it just keeps you from moving forward in life.

no photo
Tue 07/10/12 05:52 AM
Lots of practical wisdom given on this thread. Yes he is still trying to manipulate you. Yes it hurts because you have a history together, regardless of the nastiness you have children together and a life that has now crumbled. That takes time to heal. Bad or good, it was a loss and you are grieving.

FYI be prepared. This is the first of many tricks in his bag. The next will probably be to get aggressive with you. It could be physical or very emotional or even legal. Get a lawyer. Get a therapist. Be ready for whatever he is going to throw at you next.

Remember, a man like him is not going to go away quietly. Narcissists never do. He is going to try to destroy you for breaking free of his control.

no photo
Tue 07/10/12 05:47 AM
It doesn't matter how much you feed a dog, they are still going to sniff every other dogs butt.

no photo
Tue 07/10/12 05:46 AM
Men have more power in general, it is a mans world afterall. Unfortunately, most don't know how to wield it properly.

no photo
Mon 07/09/12 12:27 PM
The beast only surfaces when she has to deal with an animal.

no photo
Mon 07/09/12 07:38 AM
Mother Love Bone :)

Personally not a fav of mine, except for Chloe Dancer, but the name is hilarious!

FYI: They were the band Stone and Jeff were in prior to forming Pearl Jam...which btw was named Mookie Blaylock first.

no photo
Mon 07/09/12 07:30 AM

I am wondering why a woman would loose interest in a partner? To assume it is all one partner's fault over another is ignoreing fifty percent of the problem. Not that it is always both it is rare that it isn't. Why often marriage counseling actually helps.

This is a very ignorant statement. There is a habit of many counselors to suggest that every marital problem is split equally down the middle with both partners taking half the blame. This is simply unrealistic.

Most marital problems are actually due to an inner personal issue with one partner which creates a dynamic in the relationship via behavior or attitude. This then causes the other partner to respond or react. The dysfunction is not mutual or equal. The point being that partner #1 will still have the issue in question if they leave the marriage. Partner #2 however, will be able to persue a new relationship without said issue being a factor.

For example, an alcoholic is the main source of stress to a marriage in trouble. It is not the other partners responsibility to own the dysfunction when the alcholic is failing the marriage.

Or when a partner has a mental illness such as depression, it creates a dynamic in the relationship completely unrelated to the second partner.

There are many many MANY scenerios to explain this. Unfortunately, counselors have far too often taken the road of mutual responsibility in the name of political correctness and to elminiate difficult clients. However, this does not solve the underlaying problems which is why many traditional counselors do not have a good success rate with their clients.

Most marriage fail because of a failure on one partners part. Until that issue is addressed, owned and then dealt with, the marriage will continue to fail.

no photo
Fri 07/06/12 08:52 PM
Pearl Jam / 10
Dave Matthews Band / Crash
Jack Johnson / In Between Dreams

no photo
Fri 07/06/12 08:39 PM

If a man can not control his toy he shouldn't be married. A lot of guys are selfish animals. That's fine if you choose to be that way but don't take it out on your marriage. I know women cheat too, but men can be pigs, thinking they have a God given right to be abusive toward women. Treating women like a temporal piece of meat is disgusting. I can understand it a little if a guy or gal needs to end a marriage because of whatever, but to be as low as to cheat while in a marriage is scum and shows that the couple were not ready for marriage in the beginning.

Many times (not all) a man is able to move on and get over it, but the lasting scars that we have seen abused women carry is a real shame. There are some real lovely ladies out there that will never trust again all because men had to treat them like possessions and not treasures.

I have never been cheated on, why? Partly because I don't hang out with guys who talk about boning anything that walks. I don't get involved in those behind the women's back talk.

I'm not a poster child for perfection (far from it) but I know the guy game exist and I totally disapprove of it. If you want to be a player than go do it, but we have no right to put another through torture.

Too bad there aren't more like you out there.

no photo
Fri 07/06/12 08:37 PM

Someone mentioned earlier about mens genes taking over. It is actually a biological fact that men are built to inseminate as many women as possible in their lifetime which goes against nature and comes from societorial nurture. Most of the men I know who have cheated done it because they are not getting their needs met by the women they are with. I have only had three serious relationships in my life. I have been faithful in all three even though sometimes things have been hard.
Most mens needs are really quite simple but a lot of women do not understand that. Hence they stray and believe me I have been tempted.

OK...I'll bite. So, what does that say for the man who has an awesome wife in every way except maybe she cannot meet one of his needs. Let's go with sex because thats what Spider likes. Let's say this woman has an emotional or physical reason she cannot have sex. But she meets ALL of his other needs. She is faithful, competent, loyal and loving. Does that mean genetically he is destined to cheat on her because he isn't getting any?

Now lets flip that. What about the woman who's husband has a physical or emotional reason he no longer wants to put out. But hes a good man to her otherwise. Does she have cause to cheat?

I guarantee you in these scenerios, it is more likely the man will cheat than the woman.

no photo
Fri 07/06/12 05:55 AM

Hate is most definitely NOT a survival tactic. It serves no purpose or benefit to the human condition.

Absolutely it is! Hate was the guiding force that led us to protect ourselves from war and disease, not to mention protect our gene pool or enlarge it. To early humans, outsiders brought war, disease and contaminated the gene pool. It was xenophobia and hate that allowed humanity to florish. Once numerous large populations existed, societies formed and tried to do away with hate and xenophobia, but guess what? Our DNA is often more powerful than peer pressure or monitary gain. So we still have hate and we still have fear. The wise man uses his innate distrust for outsiders to guide him and keep him wary of strangers, but this distrust, fear and hate must be tempered with experience and understanding to prevent social faux pas.

Absolutely. We all make snap judgments based on someone's appearance. Is he part of my tribe? We can't help it because it happens before we have time to think. We often mistrust people based only on their looks or we're drawn in by them.

This isn't "hate".

no photo
Fri 07/06/12 05:53 AM

Actually, in the arrogant mind, the super-ego is dull. Therefore the ego readily expresses itself in a narcissistic way. Freud actually relates this behavioral trait to a diminished fallic response. Either translated as "small penis" or inept sexualality.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 09:49 PM
Edited by tautologic on Thu 07/05/12 09:51 PM

First of all, I'm impressed you referenced Maslow.

Why?

Because I would venture the majority on here have no clue as to Maslow and psychology in general.

That said, I do think that you have to learn how to hate or be angry. They are learned responses to stimuli and/or experience. You aren't born hating.

We aren't born hating, but we are born with the capacity and inclination to hate. Hate is just as natural to the human experience as any other emotion. It's an evolutionary survival tactic and is one of the reasons why we exist today as a species.

Hate is most definitely NOT a survival tactic. It serves no purpose or benefit to the human condition.

You aren't born loving either. When you think of newborns their instinct is what attatches them to their mothers. All of the senses are engaged to create that bond. From there, the love is taught, grown. So in a way, love is a sixth sense.

Our senses (of which we have far more than 5) allow us to sense the world around us. I don't understand how love could be considered a sense.

To sense means to precieve, receive and process stimuli. Love stimulates our entire body emotionally and physically.

Yes we all show love differently; and we love various people in our lives differently. But love in itself is a concept that is static.

How so?

Because regardless of who or to what level we express or feel a love towards someone, the concepts it holds are things like safety, comfort, loyalty, trust, survival, etc. When these qualities do not exist for us anymore towards the other person, we no longer love them or at the very least not love them as we once did.

Even when you think of someone you no longer feel present love for, you can think back to when you DID love them and remember how it felt and what it meant to you at the time. The imprint it leaves on you never leaves.

no photo
Thu 07/05/12 09:36 PM

So...if you experience a taste or smell, it's permanent? When you touch a hot stove, your hand is burning for the rest of your life? You are going to have to think a bit more deeply if you want to keep up.

No but the imprint upon your psyche is permanent.

Previous 1 3 4