Community > Posts By > Seamus

no photo
Thu 12/03/20 04:02 AM
3c (feels like 0c. Falling to 0c overnight). Cloudy, with a light 10 kph W wind and a 70% chance of rain this evening.

no photo
Wed 12/02/20 01:35 AM
6c (feels like 4c. Rising to 8c and falling to 2c overnight). Cloudy, with a light 10kph W wind and a 40% chance of rain this evening.

no photo
Tue 12/01/20 08:57 AM
I have but I still can't see them as being possible.

no photo
Tue 12/01/20 08:02 AM
It was cold and clear here the other night, so the full moon seemed particularly large and bright :slight_smile:.

no photo
Tue 12/01/20 03:23 AM
3c (feels like 2c. Rising to 6c and falling to 2c overnight). Partially cloudy, with a calm 5kph W wind and a 50% chance of rain overnight.

no photo
Mon 11/30/20 09:09 AM
Welcome back from your journey into the parallel universe, I hope you enjoyed it :slight_smile:.

no photo
Mon 11/30/20 03:26 AM
I see that the site is again running so slowly and erratically as to be more or less unusable. See you tomorrow maybe slaphead

no photo
Mon 11/30/20 02:54 AM
8c (feels like 4c. Rising to 9c and falling to -1c overnight). Raining, with a moderate 24kph W wind.

no photo
Sun 11/29/20 03:00 AM
7c (rising to 8c and falling to 6c overnight ). A little bit of fog, a calm 5kph S wind and a 60% chance of rain this evening.

no photo
Sat 11/28/20 08:04 AM
It's more likely from the way that you phrased it, that they think the first thing to "pop up" will be your ****.

no photo
Sat 11/28/20 02:43 AM
5c (feels like 2c. Rising to 7c and falling to 4c overnight). Raining, with a light 16kph E wind.

no photo
Fri 11/27/20 01:48 PM
This isn't your fault Nicole, sometimes people have their own problems and fragilities.

no photo
Fri 11/27/20 04:03 AM
You're right in saying that it's too expensive for most people to afford at £90,000. The UK is banning all petrol/diesel and even hybrid vehicles from 2030. There are a few problems with that, to say the least. The electric recharging network would have to be expanded twenty fold to accommodate the number of vehicles, if everyone with a conventional vehicle were to switch to electric and at least one in three drivers couldn't afford even the cheapest electric vehicle at £24,000.

no photo
Fri 11/27/20 03:22 AM
Edited by Seamus on Fri 11/27/20 03:23 AM
4c (rising to 7c and falling to 2c overnight). Cloudy, with a calm 5kph SW wind.

no photo
Thu 11/26/20 08:56 AM
I'm afraid that this is as far as my understanding of the phenomena reaches.

no photo
Thu 11/26/20 02:27 AM
6c (feels like 4c. Rising to 8c and falling to 2c overnight)
Cloudy, with a light 6kph S wind.

no photo
Wed 11/25/20 09:25 AM
At the start of the twentieth century, of those killed during wars, 90% were soldiers and 10% civilians.
By the middle of the century, the numbers were roughly equal at 50% soldiers and 50% civilians.
At the end of the century and now, war casualties were composed of 10% soldiers and 90% civilians.
The deliberate targeting of civilians was and is a war crime and a crime against humanity, no matter who does it. By this reckoning, the Blitz that targeted every port, manufacturing town and centre of cultural and historic significance in the UK was a war crime. By this same token, the fire-bombing of Dresden that killed thousands of civilians was equally a war crime. The basements that people tried in vain to shelter in were brim-full of rendered human fat but I suppose the victors don't need to subject themselves to judgement.
If the Axis powers had won the war, many allied leaders would have been tried and executed, just like the Nazis at Nuremberg and surely with at least as much justification. Oddly enough, despite their hideous crimes (have a look at the Japanese occupation of China and the Nan Jing Massacres) remarkably few Japanese military commanders were tried and executed for their crimes and the Japanese Emperor escaped punishment altogether.
WAR KNOWS NO NATION but if the victors accept no responsibility for their decisions how are they any different from the losers?

I'm no pacifist and war is sometimes the only response available against an existential threat but let soldiers fight soldiers and leave the civilians out of it.

no photo
Wed 11/25/20 06:24 AM
Someone really needs to tag in here and fact check my feverish brain :thermometer_face:.

no photo
Wed 11/25/20 05:49 AM
Edited by Seamus on Wed 11/25/20 05:52 AM
I think I might have got the directions reversed, North for South. If I have, I apologize, I'm not feeling very well at the moment and this could be effecting my thinking.oops
Apart from that, I think that my description of the process is accurate.

no photo
Wed 11/25/20 03:45 AM
Edited by Seamus on Wed 11/25/20 04:09 AM

I think that you'll find that the answer to the apparent variations in position of sunrise and sunset through the year is axial tilt.
This is the difference between the Earth's orbital plane, which remains constant, and it's Equatorial plane which "wobbles" by approximately 23 degrees from the perpendicular during the year. This phenomena is responsible for the fact that we have seasons at all. During what we call summer in the Northern hemisphere, the north pole leans towards the sun by a maximum of approximately 23 degrees mentioned earlier and is what we call mid-summer. During what we call winter in the Northern hemisphere, the North pole leans away from the sun by this same amount at maximum (mid-winter) and obviously is the reason why the seasons are opposite in the Southern and Northern hemispheres. As the northern hemisphere is tilted towards the sun in summer, the southern hemisphere is tilted away from the sun and experiences colder temperatures which we call winter and vice versa.
I hope that my explanation is clear enough but if not, just look up "Axial tilt".

Yeah, I know about axial tilt. I guess I should have been more specific and mentioned the tropics. What I’m saying is, the sun should never rise or set north of the Tropic of Cancer. I am north of the Tropic of Cancer and almost all year long, the sun rises and sets slightly north of me. A good way to check it out (which is the way I first observed this) is find a long road that you know is supposed to run due east and west, such as parts of I-90, and be there and dawn and or dusk, and see whether the sun rises/sets to the north or south of the road. If you live north of the Tropic of Cancer, the sun is supposed to appear to rise to the south of east.

I know exactly what you mean. I live approximately 53 degrees latitude North on a raised terrace on the West side of a narrow North-South valley. The East of the valley has only farms and moorland on the top, so I get an mostly uninterrupted view of the Sunrise throughout the year.
The Sun will only rise exactly due East on the day of the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes, when the axial tilt of the earth is zero with respect to its orbital plane. Take the Spring Equinox in the Northern hemisphere for example. On the day of the Spring Equinox, the Sun will rise exactly due East but after that it's apparent rising point will move gradually South of East until it reaches its Southerly maximum apparent rising point on the day of the Summer Solstice. After this it will appear to rise further and further due North, rising exactly due East again on the day of the Autumn Equinox and gradually moving to its most Northerly apparent rising point on the day of the Winter Solstice, when the process reverses again.
The number of degrees which the Sun appears to deviate North or South depends largely on your latitude.
This is the principle behind many of the Neolithic mega-structures that you'll find scattered about the geographical British Isles, such as Stonehenge or New Grange in County Meath, Ireland.

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 24 25