Community > Posts By > DMW57

DMW57's photo
Tue 12/01/09 11:26 AM

Even the greatest scientists are fully aware of the follies of science. Jrbogie has been quoting Stepthen Hawlking for several days down on how Hawlking asserts that there are no such things as facts and that nothing can be proven.

The wisest scientists of all time fully understand that science does the best it can do, but ultimately even that falls short of proving anything.

When it gets right down to the real nitty gritty, science fails to explain what's going on. And Quantum Mechanics (the central pillar of Modern Science) has left the door wide-open for many very interesting an potentially mystical explantions.

Scientists do indeed admit that they don't know everything and that some things don't add up. That's what science is all about ... admitting what you don't know and doing what you can to figure it out! Sometimes admitting a 'folly' is just a step in the discovery process.

I guess since religion itself is a 'folly' it would be hard for a religous organization to admit the same. Might lose some followers (money/power/control) to real evidence-based lifestyles.

And quantum mechanics does not leave anything open to mystical explantions. There are rational explanations that are not yet discovered. Science isn't an ultimatum handed down by some sky-fairy ... its a continously changing body of knowledge.

DMW57's photo
Tue 12/01/09 11:10 AM

I believe no one can prove they do not believe or what other people don't understand. I, myself, believe in Creation and God and not Evolution...Can I prove it to other people? No, I can't because I have Faith and I would not make other people believe as I do

No you can't prove it because you have faith in it. You believe in creation without any kind of real scientific evidence. People who like to think freely and for themselves without being spoon-fed easy answers tend to rely on imperical evidence and hard facts. I would know being a biology major.

As for the topic of this forum posting. You can sure try to disprove it ... but unlike creationism it will take a lot more then fancy word-play and infantile fairytales.

But from the sound of it ... (water, to monkeys, to humans ... seriously?) ... you don't really understand the theory in the first place.

DMW57's photo
Tue 12/01/09 10:58 AM
Yes that helps quite a bit.

I acknowledge that they have a belief with our without evidence, but I don't acknowledge what they believe in.

I sometimes get frustrated with the word faith; When you said Atheist means faith that they're is no god. I don't really view it that way. Its more like ... there's no solid factual evidence for a gods exhistance ... so instead of believing in something without evidence I choose to dis-believe it, or put it on hold as a possible hypothesis, and kind of X it off the list of rational real-world choices. It isn't a real option to be considered in ones search for spirituality as there is no hard evidence for it. My opinion of course. Interestingly enough this kind of basic rational thinking is lost to the majority of people I meet.

One thing I liked about your post is when you said how tricky language is. Isn't it funny how you can run circles around someone with definentions and speech, when the points are still the same? No matter how you spin it, still no evidence. Sam Harris has this happen to him all the time in the debates I've seen him in.

DMW57's photo
Mon 11/30/09 07:52 PM
Do you consider someone an Atheist when:

They are an Anti-Theist (Against theism in general)

or

They simply lack faith in any kind of belief that is unfounded by evidence.

I describe myself as an Atheist because I am against the idea of organized religion. However that may just be me. Any thoughts?

DMW57's photo
Mon 11/30/09 07:37 PM

My social skills are more than intact. They're just a natural attribute I've had as far back as I can remember. And because of this, the last three dates I've been on this month have all been with women that I've met at school or through friends. Yet...

I'm 21 and I'm pretty good at navigating the web - the way I look at it: If the technology is there, why not use it? There's just as much of a possiblity of meeting somebody nice online as there is in your average college bar. And if your looking in both places, your twice as likley to find that special someone. :)

Same here. (:

See! Now theres two of us! Suckers! :thumbsup:

DMW57's photo
Mon 11/30/09 07:33 PM
haha melody the only one i have left is that crazy people belong together. So perhaps its a good thing that both sexes have the same level of sanity. Maybe. I don't know. Chicks are pretty insane for the most part. winking

DMW57's photo
Mon 11/30/09 04:34 PM
Suck it up? If they're shutting you out, not much you can do - short of begging. Which isn't fun.

DMW57's photo
Mon 11/30/09 04:21 PM
ZeeZee i would suppose it would come down to wether you love this person or not. Love should come before the bank. It shouldn't matter as much what job you have, what car you drive, what kind of house you live in ... as long as there is love involved. Not to say the person shouldn't pull their own weight; they should. But beyond that ... being with someone because of reasons besides your feelings for each other is just plain dysfunctional.

DMW57's photo
Mon 11/30/09 12:23 PM
I would say online it's not so much the delivery but the person who sends it. It's easier to be picky based strictly on aesthetics online. If your a wierd looking ****er and send a wierd email ... especially to a younger gal ... what would you expect?

And if her profile shows her to have no personality thats close to yours and she lacks that sense of humor ... safe bet that you'll get nothing in return.

On the other hand in a bar, its harder to be mean in person ... and with a little alcohol in them ... a story like that might be just the entertainment they needed on a night out. Shes out looking for it.

But who really knows. Chicks are nuts.

DMW57's photo
Sun 11/29/09 07:53 PM
Seattle

DMW57's photo
Sun 11/29/09 07:46 PM
My social skills are more than intact. They're just a natural attribute I've had as far back as I can remember. And because of this, the last three dates I've been on this month have all been with women that I've met at school or through friends. Yet...

I'm 21 and I'm pretty good at navigating the web - the way I look at it: If the technology is there, why not use it? There's just as much of a possiblity of meeting somebody nice online as there is in your average college bar. And if your looking in both places, your twice as likley to find that special someone. :)

2 Next