Community > Posts By > massagetrade

no photo
Thu 12/04/14 10:03 AM

I don't get why people do the silent thing...to me it's just more unfinished business with no point...but it drives me nuts when people do it...it's leaves ya with a constant hmmmmmwhat :wink:

smiles...

that's why they do it, to create the demand in others that they speak!

a way of creating silent "control".

so the one who cares, has been controlled.

That may be why some people do it.

Other people do it for other reasons, like claiming space for themselves, to find peace.

Silence can be a form of manipulation, but demanding that someone engage with you is coercive.

no photo
Tue 12/02/14 05:12 PM
Some words are the same in Dutch and German, but mean something completely different, so very confusing.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! And since I'm not at all familiar with Dutch, I've been confused by this several times.

I wonder how the similarities/differences between Dutch/German compare to, say, Spanish/Italian, or Spanish/Portuguese.

I've heard other people say similar things about those languages.

no photo
Tue 12/02/14 05:11 PM
I'm doing a course in German, but I kinda gave up on it, because German is just so bluddy difficult!

Have you ever tried duolingo?

Its a free app that takes you on a complete learning program, from beginner level on up. Its surprisingly good. They also have a web-based interface for people who don't want to do in on a smartphone.

no photo
Tue 12/02/14 04:59 PM
Edited by massagetrade on Tue 12/02/14 05:04 PM
I could be wrong, but a brief scan of the internet makes it look like those "over 2 million" numbers you mentioned may have been true OVER 50 years ago.

I hardly doubt they all moved to neverland.

I think those that are still alive have probably moved to old folks homes.

no photo
Tue 12/02/14 04:56 PM
Ras, you list several claims about the KKK which I'm going to assume are correct.

However, none of them justify accusing the police force of being KKK members in general.

If you really look at it, this makes as much sense as saying that 'all [insert race here] people are [insert quality]' and then providing statistics showing that *some* of them are.

This is why I said that your post was simple bigotry and hatred. How would you feel if I said that black people are thieves, and then provided statistics on numbers of black people convicted of theft?

THIS is what all of us should be working to move past.

no photo
Tue 12/02/14 01:25 PM

Most ppl think Dutch und Deutsch are similar

To me, Dutch sounds like someone is speaking german with some intense accent...like every other word sounds just like a german word, though I can't make out any clear meaning.

I don't know how Dutch sounds to non Dutch, but I think German sounds more intense. German is very guttural, very powerful language .. not unlike Japanese.
Take Rammstein .. so not the same in English and in Dutch it would sound utterly ridiculous.

Oh, by 'intense' I didn't mean to compare how intense Dutch or German sound compared to each other. I was trying to say that Dutch 'sounds vaguely German' but also 'not quite like any German I've ever heard'. Almost like someone was speaking German with a very strange, heavy accent.

Several times in my life, when in contact with travellers, I found myself trying to make out the German someone seemed to be speaking, and thinking to myself "wow, his accent is so unusual, I can't make anything out" only to realize eventually that he wasn't actually speaking German at all, but Dutch.

no photo
Mon 12/01/14 09:14 PM

hey

Hey.

no photo
Mon 12/01/14 03:32 PM
rofl

no photo
Mon 12/01/14 03:31 PM
Cowgirl

no photo
Mon 12/01/14 12:30 PM

no. not everyone wants to speak just because we want them to.

I find nothing wrong with 'silent treatment'. I take it as a hint to just leave someone alone.

Hehe...Same here....smokin

Yes, people should be free to communicate with whom they want to communicate, not expected, manipulated, or coerced into communicating with people they find unpleasant or unhealthy to be around.

no photo
Mon 12/01/14 10:56 AM
As a civilian, if I were attacked I would assume my life were threatened, warranting deadly force. If that person went for my gun I would find it only responsible to use deadly force as this person could use my gun against others after killing me. If this person were to run away, the threat would be diminished, but the second he turned around and started running at me again, the threat of being killed comes back full force and I would not hesitate to put that threat down. This is escalation of force. If good people do not use this, evil people will inherit the world.

Yes, emphatically yes.

The anti-racist crowd and anti-police-brutality crowd have chosen, again, the *wrong* situation to rally around.

Brown basically threw his own life away when he went after the cop's gun, and again when he started moving back towards the police officer.

no photo
Mon 12/01/14 10:51 AM

Most ppl think Dutch und Deutsch are similar

To me, Dutch sounds like someone is speaking german with some intense accent...like every other word sounds just like a german word, though I can't make out any clear meaning.

no photo
Mon 12/01/14 10:49 AM

Also deutsch ist doch ne schoene Sprache finde ich also sei ihr alle nicht so negative Bitte :) offtopic drinks

Vielleicht habe ich es falsch. Ich mag Deutsch. Menschen versuchen lustig sein. Wer ist negativ?

no photo
Sun 11/30/14 02:29 PM

no photo
Sun 11/30/14 02:11 PM
with magnetism holding the atmosphere to it.

laugh laugh laugh

no photo
Sun 11/30/14 02:10 PM

I'm an avid cyclist , if you want something to last you can't buy cheap bikes! I sold my first Mnt. Bike this past year that I bought in 1991 still in awesome shape but it was $900 in 91 . 4 grand is about average price .

Oh, *new* bikes that are cheap are generally so poorly made that they aren't worth riding.

I buy cheap used bikes. You can get a cheap used bike that is built to last, and still has 5 or more years left in it.

no photo
Sun 11/30/14 02:08 PM

Found a mountain bike for $15... Serves me well on paved/gravel trails...

Yeah, for those of us that are patient, we don't need to spend a lot of money. I once rode a 500 mile tour on an $80 bike.

And I commuted to work for years on a different sub-$100 bike. The extra weight of the bike probably cost me 5 minutes of extra pedalling time each day, but thats just 5 minutes more exercise!

no photo
Sun 11/30/14 01:09 PM

The reason ESPN reporter Keith Law got suspended last week was stupid: He defended the theory of evolution on Twitter, kindly and calmly, to his co-worker, creationist Curt Schilling, and ESPN punished him for it. The reason he’s probably going to be suspended again? Sheer awesomeness.

As “Addicting Info” reported earlier, Law stepped into what was an hours-long anti-evolution rant by Schilling on Twitter and managed to quickly make the former pitcher look like an idiot. Schilling was dead set on disproving evolution using a selection of creationism’s greatest hits. If humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys? Where’s the missing link? Okay, but where’s the other missing links? You weren’t there!

Law, who aside from reporting on baseball seems to know his stuff about science, was happy to clue Schilling in.

.... (see link below for full article)

There is a vein of anti-intellectualism that runs throughout our society, and it insulates itself from criticism by punishing those who dare mention facts, figures, science, or data. Christians, especially this time of year, like to say that they are being discriminated against for their beliefs, but in reality the opposite is usually true.

Fortunately, there is a silver lining. No matter how much these science deniers wish it wasn’t the case, the truth is still out there. The Earth still moves.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/28/reporter-suspended-defending-evolution-comes-back-gives-immediate-middle-finger-to-espn/

no photo
Sun 11/30/14 12:54 PM
this story was about EXCESSIVE FORCE and EXCESSIVE PENALTY , which happens far too often in impoverished communities, which are disproportionately black communities

By 'this story' do you mean a specific article referenced earlier in the thread, or the larger Ferguson story?

Because if you mean the latter, I can't agree. The story that I keep hearing from people irl, who wilfully ignore the facts, are the lies as told by Dorian and augmented by others. The story of a innocent gentle giant who was a victim of an unprovoked physical attacked, and who was shot down in cold blood by a maniac cop while in the midst of trying to surrender to him.

This is the story which motivates many to protest, to say 'hands up don't shoot', to declare that the system is unjust, etc.

Sure, there are a few people out there who are mad because they think that a cop should be more like a robot, and should be able to control a situation and use *exactly* the level of force required at each instant....

.... but it seems to me that most of the angry 'justice for brown' people are not actually angry about Wilsons failure to fine tune his use of force, they are angry because they believe the dorian-esque lies.

no photo
Sun 11/30/14 12:41 PM

Ja ich spreche Deutsch und m�chte �ber Hitler und Nazis zu reden ..... interessiert

Unknown_romeo

Wie lange hast du Deutsch sprechen?

Nicht sehr lange, warum fragst du?

Ich weiss nicht wie mann sagt diese auf deutsch:

I ask in part to be conversational, and in part because you brought up nazis.