Community > Posts By > won111

won111's photo
Fri 01/08/10 05:13 PM

World Seismic Monitor Site.....take a look.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Great find! very cool!

won111's photo
Fri 01/08/10 05:12 PM

You can easily create a 3 day kit without buying one already put together. I have some of the commercially prepared kits and I don't really care for them.

if you are experienced, you can certainly put together your own kit, however, for most folks, obtaining a prepackaged kit is the way to go....it takes out much of the guess work and makes things much more simpler....too many things to do only makes us procrastinate more....

Yes, the kits can be convenient, but they are often lacking enough water and the food bars are horrible. I'd rather eat a can of spaghettios with a pop top lid and plastic spoon.

hahahahah! yes, indeed!

won111's photo
Fri 01/08/10 07:46 AM

You can easily create a 3 day kit without buying one already put together. I have some of the commercially prepared kits and I don't really care for them.

if you are experienced, you can certainly put together your own kit, however, for most folks, obtaining a prepackaged kit is the way to go....it takes out much of the guess work and makes things much more simpler....too many things to do only makes us procrastinate more....

won111's photo
Fri 01/08/10 07:10 AM

Emergency supplies and preparedness is all fine and wonderful. However more than likely you will not be at home when a quake hits. You do want to leave a building that you are in, if there is warning. You do want to not be in your car driving, again if there is warning.

That's not true. You may not be at home but you are not "more likely" to be away from home. The Northridge earthquake hit in the middle of the night. And, yes, you should educate yourself on what to do if you are at the office or in your car, but that's just a part of the whole preparation process.

I think this topic elicits some less than friendly responses because of the feeling it creates of not being in control of one's life and some fears we all have. Instead of reacting negatively, just accept the fear of lack of control and take little steps to do what you can now.

yer my hero!!! Good analysis!bigsmile

Being prepared brings about confidence and control....

won111's photo
Fri 01/08/10 07:00 AM

Emergency supplies and preparedness is all fine and wonderful. However more than likely you will not be at home when a quake hits. You do want to leave a building that you are in, if there is warning. You do want to not be in your car driving, again if there is warning.

that's why you should keep a 72 hour emergency survival kit in your car....or even at work (if you can)...

won111's photo
Fri 01/08/10 06:58 AM
"3 day supply"

or in other words.... a 72 Hour Emergency Survival Kit! wink wink!

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 09:39 PM

when an earthquake hits here, i know he did well! i might even call him back bigsmile

hahahaha!bigsmile :banana:

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 09:38 PM

What? You must be on the wrong thread... Who is giving people a hard time????!!! I take offense to the accusation! I'm opening up conversation...it's that simple....why don't you add something useful....

The thread would be better with more advice, which is what I was saying before. Don't get upset. If you want to help people, advice right now is the way to go.

There are snippets of advice here....the most important first step though, is talking about it...and hopefully, awareness will bring action....:wink:

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 08:21 PM

I was in the Northridge quake...no electricity/water for over a week....and yes, we slept outside because our house moved off of its foundation...long lines for food and markets overpricing for everything....luckily surrounding cites were not affected....a quake on the San Andreas fault could encompass ALL of Southern California...

I was LAPD assigned west valley division (which covered parts of Northridge) when that hit! That was really something and we had people living in tents next to the police station for a few weeks. Even being a little prepared with some basic first aid training, food and water can make a world of difference if and when something happnes.

I always tell people that if they get overwhelmed at the thought of getting ready to do it little steps. Everytime you go to the store buy a gallon of water and 2 extra cans of food. Take em home and put aside for an emergency. Just do it slowly over time. Once a month go buy a supply you may need. Like extra toilet paper. A wrench to turn off the gas. A pack of dust masks. Don't get stuck in the idea that if you can't get everything today then there's no point int getting anything at all. Its not true. Set a goal for each month. In January learn how and when to shut off the gas by going on the internet or calling the gas company.

Nice! LAPD is cool! Wanted to apply before...but just got into other things....I was in Simi Valley when the northridge quake hit...It was very violent! It really brought into clear perspective what a wide-spread earthquake could do....people just don't take it seriously though and they don't realize the devastation that will result...

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 04:11 PM

Maybe I should move to Vegas and get a realestate Lic so I can start selling beachfront property when the BIG one hits the west coast

hahaha! yes...

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:55 PM

So far today there have been 9 rumbles in Yellowstone National Park...
this is an everyday, all day long occurrence and they have increased each year. Since yellow stone's caldera is over 30 miles long and 8 miles wide... and is a "Super Volcano".... when she blows, she blows.
Those of us on this half of the country are history...and the rest of the country deals with the fall out.

I'm putting my focus into enjoying the now....

Great escape plan! noway

Hmmmm The advice is good
Odds are it won't happen in your lifetime so why not enjoy life instead of planning for survival(in a paranoid way)

Much like my belief
"there probably isn't a god so why not just be kind and enjoy life"

Cheers

I'm not much of a gambler...and besides, it's much easier to get a little prepared... than have nothing at all when a disaster actually hits...

Rather than giving people a hard time for not being prepared, why not give some advice for those who may not be prepared?

What? You must be on the wrong thread... Who is giving people a hard time????!!! I take offense to the accusation! I'm opening up conversation...it's that simple....why don't you add something useful....

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:50 PM

Such a cheerful thread ... ohwell

I googled the 'Earth Shiver' bit and only got Craigs List?

Short of stickin' your head between your legs and kissin' your arse g'bye?

Whatta is it ya recommend, EXACTLY???

... Plenty of clean water and nonperishable foods stored, batteries, candles, full tank of gas at all times ... and...?

Not much use if your building just collapsed and crushed you, or the land swallowed you whole, and every road out has buckled into sinkholes and bulldozers!

Let me guess ... Duct Tape???

I'll dance, hope and hug my child ...:banana: :banana:

It's a new site...so just getting started! I'll add more things as I go along. More people do survive natural disaster than perish....so you should plan to survive...and that should include medical supplies as well...do you know CPR? ...do you know how to control bleeding?...Do you know how to take spinal precautions?....if you are on medications do have a decent supply? do you own a tent (you may be sleeping outside)...You seem to take "getting prepared" a bit lightly...have you tried to survive a week or more without modern conveniences? I was in the Northridge quake...no electricity/water for over a week....and yes, we slept outside because our house moved off of its foundation...long lines for food and markets overpricing for everything....luckily surrounding cites were not affected....a quake on the San Andreas fault could encompass ALL of Southern California....think of Katrina, but probably worse....a lot worse! I've talked to firefighters and many of them say they would go home to their families if the BIG one hit...don't take it lightly!

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:30 PM

when the hurricanes hit the gulf coast and Yellowstone blows a whole in the northwest and california tumbles into the sea we'll be here in West Texas watching it on TV

If California falls into the ocean then Texas will surely begin to tip...Texans may just be sliding into the gulf of Mexico! bigsmile

nahhh wrong tectonic plates

the area under (west) Texas is pretty stable. mostly limestone escarpments (with oil trapped underneath)

that is why they have the low level nuclear waste depository just north of us in southern New Mexico

the closest geological activity to here is the "hot spot" under Albuquerque. there the Rio Grande is following a rift valley that periodically pops open. but its still 500 miles to the north

I'll have to check that out....lol!

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:29 PM

this is an everyday, all day long occurrence and they have increased each year. Since yellow stone's caldera is over 30 miles long and 8 miles wide... and is a "Super Volcano".... when she blows, she blows.
Those of us on this half of the country are history...and the rest of the country deals with the fall out.

Great escape plan! noway

Hmmmm The advice is good
Odds are it won't happen in your lifetime so why not enjoy life instead of planning for survival(in a paranoid way)

Much like my belief
"there probably isn't a god so why not just be kind and enjoy life"

Cheers

I'm not much of a gambler...and besides, it's much easier to get a little prepared... than have nothing at all when a disaster actually hits...

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:18 PM

I'm in California! Live right on the San Andreas fault. I am ready. :smile:

awesome! Tell your family and friends to get ready!

Jason

I teach emergency preparedness, among other safety topics, for a living.

Cool! Not enough people take preparedness seriously! I'm an EMT...

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:12 PM

when the hurricanes hit the gulf coast and Yellowstone blows a whole in the northwest and california tumbles into the sea we'll be here in West Texas watching it on TV

If California falls into the ocean then Texas will surely begin to tip...Texans may just be sliding into the gulf of Mexico! bigsmile

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:04 PM

Great escape plan! noway

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:02 PM

Yeah...I'm still not worried about it.

hahahahaha! but don't say you weren't informed! hahahaha...

Jason

I wont. I'm not one to point fingers.

hahaha..sure, just as long as you don't get a black tag during triage!

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 03:00 PM

I dont think theres much preparing to do if a Sunami hits other than get the hell out of there as quick as you can. And the only way to know when its gonna hit is through technology in which we depend on others to relay to us.

If you are at the beach and notice an excessive or unusual retreat of water...run for high ground as fast as you can! Many people were killed in the Indian Ocean Tsunami because they went to see the newly exposed beach....
Jason

won111's photo
Thu 01/07/10 02:53 PM

Yeah...I'm still not worried about it.

hahahahaha! but don't say you weren't informed! hahahaha...

Jason

Previous 1