usernamesroverrated's photo
Mon 02/16/09 09:44 PM
my understanding of it is,

what ever you create you must experience the effects

although this wording can mean several things, it is the wording i like best,
it implies a complete fairness to everything that has and will happen to us, as well as everyone else. and gives us responsibility for our life, and future lives if you believe in reincarnation

any thoughts? insights? agree? disagree?

i posted this in general religion too, but i figure i would get more responses here.

Mon 02/16/09 09:42 PM
haha glad someone agrees,

i wonder what the first action was

Mon 02/16/09 03:00 PM
i prefer the 4 day rule, lol jk

Sun 02/15/09 11:31 PM
i would ignore,

but thats just me

Sun 02/15/09 11:21 PM
my understanding of it is,

what ever you create you must experience the effects

although this wording can mean several things, it is the wording i like best,
it implies a complete fairness to everything that has and will happen to us, as well as everyone else. and gives us responsibility for our life, and future lives if you believe in reincarnation

any thoughts? insights? agree? disagree?

Sun 02/15/09 01:04 PM

a ghost? so like they didnt exist?

shoot id be somewhat flattered if a women from beyond the grave was that interested in me,

or perhaps terrified
more like the interest didn't exsist:smile:

lol oh
haha now i am feeling dumb

Sun 02/15/09 01:00 PM

Funches Wrote:

'Abracadbra" you yourself use called the child's friend imaginary so aren't you being hypocritical or are you being an atheist

You missed the point entirely.

I'm saying that imagination is just as much a part of reality as anything else.

If the fairy exists in the imagination then it exists in this reality because imagination is part of reality.

usernamesroverrated wrote:

stranded in an desert with no food, you can imagine a nice juicy pear all you want as hard as you can, but you will still die of hunger if all you do is sit and imagine that pear.

Again, the point I'm making is totally lost.

You say that imagination can't be used to conjure up sustenance, therefore it's not "real".

Well duh?

Your emotions can't conjure up sustenance either. Does that mean that your emotions aren't "real"? huh

This is the whole point to the thread and why I named it "What is Reality?"

If atheists want to claim that only the things that can change or affect the physical world around us are real then they have no choice but to confess that emotions are not real.

The next time they are claiming to be in a good mood or a sad mood we can just laugh at them and say, "That's just in your imagination! It's not REAL!"

But then if they try to argue that emotions are real because they produce measurable psychological effects, then they must also confess that imagination is real because imagination can directly affect emotions which are 'real'.

In other words, if emotions are considered to be 'real' then so must imagination because the results of imagination directly affect emotions.

The argument that you can't eat what you imagine for the purpose of sustenance is the same as saying that emotions aren't real because neither can they be used to alter your reality.

So my only point is that the atheistic view of what is 'real' falls short of recognizing the entirety of the reality of human experience.

If emotions are 'real' then so is imagination.

That's my only point. What is imagined doesn't need to become manisfest within the physical world to be 'real'. The human psyche is real (i.e. within the realm of experience), therefore the human imagination is real also.

This idea that things need to be physically tangible to be 'real' is truly absurd. Such a philosophy automatically denies human emotions.

Where is there a difference between emotions and imagination?

I claim that we imagine our emotions and that produces physiological effects and therefore imagination is most certainly no less 'real' than emotions. Our emotions come from our psyche.

The psyche is just as much a part of reality as anything else.

That's my point.

I am sorry but your argument is invalid.

1. Imagination can't be used to conjure up substance
2. Emotions can't be used to conjure up substance
3. Emotions are real (i feel them)
4. Therefor Imagination is real (i feel it.)

Sorry but it doesnt work that way

I understand what your trying to go about
Emotions and imagination are both subjective experiences, they are a part of personal reality, but on greater reality, both could be easily said not to exist. Try telling someone who is emotionless that you feel upset, they wont know what you are talking about.
Imagination however can become a part of reality through art and invention, to imagine something alone does not make it real, its just an idea, to put the idea into the world through action does make it real.
Of course you could get into deeper things i cant remeber the username that said it but they said something along the lines of i know i am real because i think, the rest of you could just be my imagination.
Philosophers have been arguing over reality and imagination and there connection for a loong loong time (probably since the words themselves were defined.)

And of course one could argue that there truly is not one correct answer to any of this.

Sat 02/14/09 11:34 PM
a ghost? so like they didnt exist?

shoot id be somewhat flattered if a women from beyond the grave was that interested in me,

or perhaps terrified

Sat 02/14/09 11:31 PM
thanks, me too

Sat 02/14/09 11:26 PM
i just moved to kansas, well not just, but ive just gotten settled in,
movings hard, starting new social circles and leaving all the others behind,
i keep thinking it cant be too much longer before i find good friends like i had back home, but its taking forever. and driving me bat**** insane

Sat 02/14/09 11:02 PM
apparition? not sure what you mean by that,
ive had something like that but the word was ambition

Sat 02/14/09 09:53 PM
hello

anyone like chess?

bored as a dog when his/hers master is at work.

Sat 02/14/09 09:49 PM
stranded in an desert with no food, you can imagine a nice juicy pear all you want as hard as you can, but you will still die of hunger if all you do is sit and imagine that pear.

polaritybear you beat me to my incubus reference lol