Community > Posts By > Bothan

Bothan's photo
Wed 01/28/09 10:57 PM
As to the topic of God, it matters not. Humanity will never know one way or another, and even theists will recognize that belief in God requires a leap of faith. Reason and faith are incompatible, simple as that. The squabbling around this main issue is simply a series of red herrings.

Bothan's photo
Wed 01/28/09 10:54 PM
"Laws are higher and better than theories, but you're young--and most people don't pay attention in class at your age. I'll give you some slack.. "

Laws are generalizations that describe phenomena, whereas theories explain phenomena. For example, the laws of thermodynamics describe what will happen under certain circumstances; thermodynamics theories explain why these events occur.

Again:

A law states.

A theory explains.

Ergo, a theory will usually be of greater value than a law. While adorable, your ignorance of these basic concepts is nonetheless contemptible.

Bothan's photo
Tue 01/27/09 10:20 AM
David, I get my morals from my family and literature. Enough said.

Bothan's photo
Tue 01/27/09 09:40 AM
Edited by Bothan on Tue 01/27/09 09:41 AM
"not everyone's silly theories (which can be made up with mere visual observation by any tom, **** and harry)."

False. Wrong. Here: http://www.notjustatheory.com/

In short, When scientists use the word theory, it has a different meaning to normal everyday use. In science, a theory is not a guess, not a hunch. It's a well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our observations. It ties together all the facts about something, providing an explanation that fits all the observations and can be used to make predictions. In science, theory is the ultimate goal, the explanation. It's as close to proven as anything in science can be.

Moreover, a theory never becomes a law. In fact, if there was a hierarchy of science, theories would be higher than laws. There is nothing higher, or better, than a theory.

Besides that, the question of evil has always been one to plague me when it comes to God. Evil exists. If God does not remove it, he is not omnipotent. If he leaves it, he is malevolent. He cannot be both omnipotent and benevolent.