Community > Posts By > ImGary

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 10:41 AM
Barak Obama

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 10:23 AM
Edited by ImGary on Fri 02/13/09 10:34 AM

Theologians of all stripes have agreed for thousands of years that beginning of Genesis provides a foundation for our faith. It is not "just a faith account," but the primary purpose is to communicate a message of faith.

As a scientific account that describes the present state of our universe, Genesis is not a very good description. One could easily get the impression that planet Earth is at the center of the solar system. Morning and evening happen for three days without benefit of the sun. The firmament sounds like a big blue dome above the atmosphere, or at least a firm demarcation between man's zone and God's realm. In several places rain seems to come from windows in the sky that are opened to let pour out the water that is held up there. You would think that the words "sphere" or "round" would appear somewhere. We are already interpreting Scripture in the light of science.

Remember that in delivering Genesis by means of fallible humans, God had to thread the account through thousands of years of well-meaning scribes who would be tempted to excise nonsense about the earth orbiting around the sun. Also recall that it took great effort to produce a Bible until Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press in 1454. In Genesis God had some very important things to communicate to us, and there was no good reason to include pages of details about the physical layout of the cosmos that He knew we would figure out soon enough anyway.

I believe that the same is true for the natural history contained in Genesis. Genesis is not wrong, it is not simply a myth, it is not just a compelling story with no real basis in history. Genesis happened! All of it! But to try to match up each verse with a scientific finding is to ignore the Author's main purpose in giving this account to us. Genesis 1-2 must be read through the eyes of faith, and that is its most important message. If we concentrate too much on the scientific details or mire these chapters in controversy, we will miss the faith message there.

What I Think About the Soundness of the Theory of Evolution

The theory of evolution sounds pretty good as science, especially the enhancements that were made after Darwin, and are still being made based on continuing research and discoveries. The geological and fossil record shows change over a long period of time. We have a long history of changing life forms. Bugs adapt to poison. Moth populations change color. People get taller. Dogs breed into forms that look much different than the original. In general, the theory sounds pretty reasonable. We can observe evolution happening during our own time in small amounts.

Note that much of the evolutionary action does not involve entirely new structures. New structures are hard to develop. We would all like to see a horse develop wings and fly, but that's unlikely to happen. Plenty of evolutionary mileage can be obtained by modifying and changing the existing structures. For example, most of the mammals have the same basic body plan. Giraffes and humans have the same number of vertebrae in their necks (seven). We have the same bones, but the sizes and shapes are different. The large differences that we see in the animal kingdom can be achieved through small, incremental, useful change.

The term microevolution is used to refer to change at the species level or lower. Macroevolution refers to higher-order changes that cause one species to split into two, or morph into an entirely new species. I do not accept the creationist argument that the small changes we see in microevolution cannot add up to macroevolution under the right conditions. This argument is not even logically reasonable unless a "change barrier" is proposed around every species, and I have heard of no such proposal. Indeed, it is true that microevolution does not prove macroevolution, but it certainly supports it.

However, it is still a evolutionary puzzle how microevolution relates to macroevolution. When do we get stasis, and when do we get change? The old Darwinian idea, that microevolution can be simply be extrapolated to macroevolution over long periods of time, is probably not correct because it is too simple:
microevolution + time = macroevolution (too simple)
More recent research indicates that macroevolution involves additional factors, including the ones present in microevolution (natural selection, mutation). So we can update our equation to express the modern understanding:

microevolution + time + isolation + selection pressure + changing environment = macroevolution

These ideas were discussed at the 1980 Chicago Conference on Macroevolution. For more information, please see the Roger Lewin reprint for the entire text of his Science article "Evolutionary Theory Under Fire."

Transitional Fossils

We have transitional fossils, despite the creationist claim that "there are no transitional fossils". We have transitional fossils for humans, too, in spite of the claim that "there are no ape-men." (see Time magazine, August 23, 1999; "How Man Evolved", by Michael Lemonick and Andrea Dorfman, pp. 54-55). The References section of this essay contains links to transitional fossils, including some with pictures.

It is puzzling that transitional fossils are more rare than we would expect. I think that paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould is on the right track with his theory of evolution through Punctuated Equilibrium. This theory states that major changes occur locally in an isolated population, so that fossils are more rare than would be expected by the slow, stately progress of change predicted by Charles Darwin. Punctuated Equilibrium is not just an excuse for finding no transitional fossils, because many such fossils have been found. Transitional forms are found locally for certain animals, and outside the "evolution zone" the transition looks quite abrupt because of migration of the new species and displacement of the original species.

TBRich

You have many original thoughts on the topic at hand, which is good, it shows that you are of an open mind and choose to think for yourself. I applaud you for this.

I respect your opinions, and agree with several of them(feral has already countered the ones I don't agree with) but I would like to state that with an open mind one can make evolution fit while taking Genesis literally.

I must first state that, as I am sure you know, some people have literal views of the Bible and its accounts while others have figurative views.
I don't claim to know which is the correct view but I personally am in the center between taking the Bible figuratively and literally. I believe that understanding individual scriptures mandates that a person chose wisely as to which view to employ.

I find it interesting that several others involved in this thread have stated that the Bible's account of man being formed from dust is irrational. No matter which scientific theory one believes to be true, all of these theories state that all lifeforms have evolved from minerals. Whether God's hand created this lifeform or a countless number years mixed with natural selection is responsible, both accounts protray life beginning from dust. Now for arguments sake:

The most beautiful and impressive statue that exists started as a rock. The statue shares the same base ingredient as the rock but obviously appears to be something all together different.

As in Genesis it states that God created Woman from Man, he could have created Man from another living being already designed(chimp), the Bible, in my opinion, as yours, should be looked at figuratively here when it states man was formed from dust. A piece of plywood is formed from a tree and one can build a shelter with plywood; would it be incorrect to state that the shelter in this example were formed from a tree, instead of plywood? No, the explanation basically left out the obvious as it should be ascertained by the reader.

Genesis states that the animals were created first, then man. So even logically(not spiritually) one could theorize why we share such a high percentage of DNA with Chimps and make evolution compatible with the Bible.

Time periods in the Bible are relatively difficult to define with any certainty in some scriptures. It says in the Bible that a 1,000 days on earth is like 1 day in Heaven. Is this to be taken literally or figuratively? I believe both. This means to me, that time is not as relative in Heaven as it is here on earth(literally) but I do not believe that it was meant to be taken so literally that we should use an exact 1,000 to 1 ratio in understanding this.

My point here is that the first few chapters of Genesis could be speaking in terms of Heavenly time versus earthly time. That would mean that the 7 days of creation described in Genesis could literally be millions or even trillions of years of earth time. What is a few trillion years to God? He is the Alpha and the Omega.

I would not expect a skeptical mind(not meaning you here) to accept much less try to understand my view on this(the Bible states that God will trap the wise in their own cleverness), I am merely stating my opinion in case a Babe in Christ stumbles upon this thread and is confused over the issue. Any seed of doubt in the minds of one of these Babes could be destructive. The Bible calls me to attempt to save these from being lost. In Pauls letter to Jude he says:

Jude 1:17-19 "But remember, my friends, what you were told in the past by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to you, 'When the last days come, people will appear who will make fun of you, people who follow their own godless desires. These are the people who cause divisions, who are controlled by their natural desires, who do not have the Spirit."

Jude 1:22-23 "Show mercy toward those who have doubts; save others by snatching them out of the fire; and to others show mercy mixed with fear, but hate their very clothes, stained by their sinful lusts."

Someone will most certainly twist the last scripture and claim that it preaches a message of hate. It is hatred for sin, plain and simple.

TBRich it is obvious that you have a strong measure of Faith and are unwavering in your beliefs, God bless you.

Oh, and you are not correct in believing there was no light until the forth day, as feral has stated above.

Genesis 1:5 "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day."

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 01:55 AM
Edited by ImGary on Fri 02/13/09 01:58 AM

I apologize. I cant even remember who brought up this contradiction but they did and then feral and Eljay jumped in. Someone needs to just start a separate biblical contradiction thread. I agree it has no place and this one in particular is stupid. All that happened was either whoever wrote this was drunk at the wheel or someone inserted a contradictory verse later because they didnt read John 3.

Krimsa this is YOUR post- SEVERAL pages after you claim that I interrupted the topic of this thread. You were obviously upset about the topic being changed-NOT. You apologize here and try to place blame on me after you went on and on about this tangent for several pages(without my involvement) after I responded to YOUR ORIGINAL post on the first page. Grow up.

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 01:45 AM
Edited by ImGary on Fri 02/13/09 01:46 AM

Also FYI the horse still has always been a horse....a donkey a donkey and put the two together and you get a mule....but they are all still within the same species....You have a wolf, who created all the dog species we know....but never did they come from a elephant or a cat.

Find another animal that shares 96%deoxyribonucleic acid identity with homo sapien.

Actually it can now be said that it is 100%.

96% was due to the infamous missing pair of chromosones!!!

In the past couple of years, human chromosone #2 was proven to have 'fused': the couple of #2 chromosones fused with the #??? (thought to be until now, missing couple of chromosones).

It is now a 'fused' 100% MATCH !!!

Voile;

I've heard contrary information to that "fact".

There are numerous inconsistances with Human DNA and Chimpansee DNA, and despite the fact that we share a large number of Chromo's - the physical structure of those Chroo's is radically different.

It's no where near a one to one match - and, there's no way to prove that the "fused" chromo is actually directly compatable to the extra chromo that chimps have, as the genomes are not consistant in structure.

At least this is what my research has shown.

As to your larger post - which I see no need to repost... I am not in disagreement with the manner in which the scientific community and the church views science or philosophy. I do not see one having much to do with the other - until it comes down to the claim of origin of the species - which is NOT scientifically demonstrable.

We can examine DNA and plot the genomes - but I find it difficut to assume there is much "fact" when the observable data of today is extrapolated back into the past with no means to verify it.
For this reason I feel that the biblical account of the Bible and the account of Darwin - and what it has transformed into - stands on equal ground - and is only true as a matter of faith - and how this relates to one's world view.

I don't see any problem with a qualified scientist mapping out the DNA genome of a fossil if their world view is Atheistic - or Fundamentalist Christian, or if they believe we got here by aliens. What I find difficulty with - is the conclusions drawn that what they observe today has any basis in fact or reality about what occured on the planet 2,000; 4,000 or 4 billion years ago. This is not the purpose of science to determine this as fact - because every scientist knows that we do not exist in a state of uniformitism.

So - Creationism and Evolution are mere theories.
Their credibility rests solely within one's world view. Until the day that scientists can prove God in a laboratory, or simulate the big bang and get life from a rock or star - it's all a matter of faith....

Is it not?

OK 'Eljay', I'm not going to work on this one, I might have you at a disadvantage, and I don't enjoy taking advantage of a friend.

Watch this video for starters. It might please you to know that Ken Miller, the guest presenter in front of a Univertsity audience, is a devout christian whom admirably distinguishes the fine line between his faith and religion, and science and his professional scientific and teaching occupations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXdQRvSdLAs&feature=related

In this video, when and where it mattered, ID and any other 'creationist' types had no credible rebuttal whatsoever for the #2 fused chromosone.

Maybe they are working on one, but to date, nothing.

And that is the point I am trying to make with you here:
... our personal world views matter little in this matter. Neither you nor I invented our 'world views'!!!

'World Views' for all of us, come from those whom sweat bullits at forging 'ORIGINAL THOUGHTS' which contributes to the body of thoughts already accumulated over the ages. Not a popularity contest.

Those people must articulate their original thesis' and present them to their respective community peers for accreditation: (publishing, presenting, publishing, presenting, etc.)

And that is where you and I don't quite agree here. While you claim all sorts of dissent for the theory of evolution, none of it can be traced back where it might count.

The personnal opinion of a scientist, is no more no less then yours or mine.

If this scientist has a dissenting opinion on a given acceptied notion or theory, there are very straight forward pocesses for that scientist to have his/hers dissenting arguments accredited officially!!! That's the beauty about science!!! It LOVES dissent!!!

But it hates unsupported, hairy fairy dogma.

Watch the video, and tell me what you think.

There is a lot more about Ken Miller, and lots more about the discover of the fused chromosone #2, should you be interested.

I will. I've got classes all weekend - I'll get to it on monday. For now, I'm off. 6:00 am comes WAY too early for me.

Okay - I can now operate an aerial lift without killing myself (See Boston Globe for tradgedy of accident on Saturday. Right after my class - this happened less than a ile away)

Now... The video.

I have two problems with this agrument about #2 Chromosone - one being what was said, the other with what has been conviently not stated.

The difficulty with what was said is that it asks the question "IF we shared common ancesters we should be able to solve the cromo' issue". Well, alright - that's a given. Of course there are a lot of other dissimilarities which need to be adressed - but let's just examine "THIS ONE".

The explination is almost plausable - except it does not explain why the fusion of the #2C took place, and why it only happened once! Also - how does this now not explain that we are directly discendent from the Ape - for how else can one justify that there was a previous "common" ancester that puts man "side by side" on the evolutionary tree, and not a direct descendant?
What are the presumed characteristics of the Genome of this mysterious common anscester that does not indicate that the #2 chromosone SPLIT and that apes are not directly discendant from man? None of this is even asked - yet, how can I see this as a clear question to ask, yet those in the field who spend their life studying this not?

Also - what is not adressed is that there are more than just the difference in the number of Chromo's that need to be adressed... There is an obsevable difference in the size of the end markers as well. What is the explination for this occurance - as there is no effect on the information caused by this difference - yet it is there. Shouldn't this difference be explained by cuasation - rather than occurance.

Sorry Voile - I'm not convinced. This video is a clear example of circular reasoning to attempt to explain what occured with no reasoning behind the why. I know that science is not about the why, but science also tells us that we share lots of things with other animals. Similarities are - two eyes, two arms, two legs, ears, a nose, a heart, lungs... the list goes on. I would be suprised to see that we don't have NUMEROUS similarities with everything that walks on the planet - including those that don't (those that crawl - plant's - single celled whatever's) Yet - it would seem that just a single difference is enough to indicate that every "like kind" is unique unto itself through the generations, and nothing is definitive in the reverse extrapolation into the past - unless it can be demonstrated by repeating it - something that the science of Evolution (and I use that term science loosley) has yet to demonstrate, and likely never will.

With all due respect 'eljay',

I think you completely missed the point of the video.

See I would never pass myself as an expert whom could offer an expert opinion on the subject of evolution, or a whole lot of other subjects we could choose to debate on these forums.

Likewise, I wouldn't think for one moment that you would dare pass yourself as an 'expert', whose personnal opinion could be offered on these forums, with the authority of a credible 'expert'.

If that were the case, we would both be very busy delivering our expert speeches, and presenting our expert opinions in front of numerous court hearings across the country on this hot SOCIAL topic.

In short, my personnal opinion, or your personnal opinion matter very little in the realm of moving world concensus.

That you or I are convinced or not about an issue, changes absolutely nothing in establishing world concensus.

That is why I provided the Ken Miller link. The video explains in great detail, the state of US consensus with respect to 'creationism'. I warned you that it gave a summary of a recent 'down' verdict of a state court (if you wish I'll get it for you, along a long list of other 'down' verdicts from other state courts, as well as the Supreme Court 'down' judgment judging 'creationism' unconstitutional.

At that very conference where Ken Miller (a devout christian) spoke, they had been planning a debate between the Evolution side (Ken Miller), and the Creationist side.

I can't put names of the creationist guest experts because they never showed up.

Worse, they cancelled at the last minute, causing some degree of panick with the organizers, whom had turned to Miller, whom in turn graciously agreed to sum up the results of the hearings he and creationist experts had participated in.

Now, your opinion and my opinion do not matter much, as I pointed out earlier. But there are people out, whom are considered creationist experts, whom were invited to present their case AGAINST THE FUSION OF CHROMOSE #2, and THEIR OPINION WOULD HAVE MATTERED.

Unfortunately for your side, the creationist experts were at the hearings, they had been informed about the chromose #2 session months ahead, and yet, deliberately chose to present NO COUNTER ARGUMENT.

The hearings official offered them more time to provide a rebuttal! They replied that they had 'nothingm of peritnent substance' to add, or to counter with, on that specific topic.

That was the point I underlined to you before you viewed the video, and you missed it.

Your side's experts had NOTHING TO SAY, OR ADD.

That where it MIGHT HAVE MATTERED 'eljay'.

Not what you or I are convinced of, or refuse to believe in.

The STATE OF THE UNION on creationism, is that every efforts, whether through the scientific community, or the judicial sytem, are being debunked or judged INEPT TO BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL AS UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

So, until the creationists experts come up with a rebuttal, or counter proposition that either the

...SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY

... or the JUDICIAL

can make sense of,

THE EVOLUTION ARGUMENT IN THE CASE OF CHROMOSONE #2, AND ANY OTHER EVOLUTION ARGUMENT OF YOUR CHOICE, STAND AS THE CURRENT SCIENTIFIC, AS WELL AS CONSTITUTIONAL REALITY OF THIS COUNTRY.

... and I understand and respect that your personnally are not convinced...

I never claimed to be an expert in this particular disciline - but I'm not unfamiliar with it either. I spent a great deal of time studying chemistry in my youth - and have a degree in Math with emphasis on logic - so I have a fairly good idea when I'm asked to accept an premise that screams fallious reasoning. As is the case with the dating methods extrapolating fossils back millions of years ago. I remain unconvinced, and this is not due to my not being an expert in this field. It's due to reasoning and a gross lack of empirical evidence for the claim. Oh - one day there may be major demonstratable evidence - but it's not there.

So - while I don't dispute the intelligence of these men, I do doubt their "theories", and don't accept them as proof. Just "viable idea's". This is the same reasoning that I use to accept the testimonies of the 1st disciples and their day to day walk with Jesus. I have no reason to doubt that they heard what they heard, and saw what they saw. When there is logical evidence to cause me to doubt this - I will. But usually, I find that those who cry "liars" - haven't even examined the text for themselves. Including the "experts".

So - I do examine all of these contrary video's, and I generally study the flow of logic that brings about their concluisns - but they aren't any stronger than the logic that they're trying to refute. We're discussing theories here.

Evolution (theory) and Creation (theory)

The evidence I have witnessed supports either one without contradiction. There's no argument against a God creating species in their kind, and establing the ability of them to evole. Contrary to what scietists think - it makes more sense that he would have established the creation in this manner than it would have been to create every variance of species all at the same time. Why not let the creation exand in this way? We see the universe expanding as a perfect parallel to this very concept. Does not the consistancy make one stop and marvel?

Cher 'Eljay',

So far, your comments have shown clear confusion between
... YOUR personnal opinion,
... or anyone else's for that matter,
... including creationists who might happen to be scientists,

AND,

... the POSITION OF THE SCIENCE as expressed by the few whom are publicly recognized as the 'CREDIBLE EXPERTS' representing the scientific community position, and the CREDIBLE EXPERTS from the creationist side, presenting or NOT PRESENTING scientifically accepted or newly acceptable proof (if there were such), about their respextive claims in this 'evo-crea' debate.

That was the point of my earlier post 'eljay', that I repeat here. It will be kind of difficult to explore this further if you keep missing the point altogether.

Whatever you or I would have to say about our personnal research, our personnal diplomas and our personnal convictions, would be totally impertinent and missing the point of this exchange altogether.

You see 'ELJAY', neither you nor I have been invited to present the position 'for' or 'against' the evolution and creation sides in front of the numerous judicial hearings that have taken place in the past couple of decades (past hundred years, understandably we couldn't have anyway).

Some people in both camps are publically credible and known out there as the one's representing their respective camp.

They are the ones whom are instrumental in forging the infamous 'World View' you refer to often lately, or generally accepted consensus, giving us, mere mortals, a particular reality, or THE world view against which all other world views are measured, whether one agrees with it or not.

And you see 'Eljay',
... when it comes to your legitimate right to 'believe' in the 'bible-inerrant' notions of creationism,
... and however much you might not agree with the theory of evolution, because YOU are not personnally convinced with the evidence of this particular 'world view',
... the scientific and judicial experts on the other hand, after more than 100 years of hearings, where claims against evolution have been presented, and yet none of these CREATIONIST CLAIMS HAVE EVER BEEN PRESENTED WITH ANY SCIENTIFIC FACT THAT MIGHT HAVE CAST AS MUCH OF A SHADOW ON THE PROOF OF THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.

Ironically, fundamentalist-creationists are reinforcing the reality, or 'Meta World View' of the Theory of Evolution with their repeated and endlessly unsubstantiated claims:
'... that evolution is false!!! ...'

Very much like, '... what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger ...' (an evolution based evidence. This evolution reality is everywhere!!!)

So that leaves us with a false debate so far, where false claims have been made and new unsubstantiated claims are peeking, without ever impacting reality,

FROM A JUDICIAL PERSPECTIVES :

... where 'creationism' has been judged UNCONSTITUTIONAL by the SUPREME COURT,

OR FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF SCIENCE

... which has NEVER been presented with any form of testable proof that would invalidate the theory of evolution.

The fundamentalists-creationists may never quit.

That is their constitutionally protected freeomof religion and freedom of speech privilege.

But the debate has been relegated to a stricly 'personnal belief' arena.

Whether yours, mine or the creationist whom happens to hold a science degree, personnal beliefs or opinions alone, whatever the mass, will never change the 'Meta World View' or consensus on reality.

The Meta World View once was that we existed on an earth centric universe, again out of a bible-inerrancy fundamentalist perspective.

Of course the reality of our universe(s) is not bible-inerrant today, in spite the legitimate belief of some die-hards.

So it is with Evolution. The Meta World View or reality we live within today is clearly 'evolutionary', in spite of a few 'bible-innerant' believers, whom hold onto a 'bible-inerrant human being centric' exclusive subordinated or junior world view, that is both scientifcally unproven, and judicially unconstitutional (creationism in schools).

Is the point clearer with this additionnal information 'ELjay'?

I would appreciate if you could respond to the point made here, in a specific manner:

'... credible expert opinion, and scientifically accepted theories-proof,
... shaping judicial reality and impacting a 'meta world view', or consensus on reality,
... as opposed to personnal opinions and beliefs impacting only one's view, but not the consensus on reality.'

0,00262% of the world's christian population, arguing as lound as they could,
... WILL NOT A WORLD REALITY GIVE!!!

Here - let's adress my primary issue.

Macro-Evolution is unverifyable. Period.

I have never once claimed Macro-Evolution to be false - I claim it is NOT possibly verifyable.
It is NOT science. Oh, we can observe the evolution within species - but that has NO BEARING on the discussion. Just as one experiencing a miricle today can no more justify it as evidence that God parted the Red Sea for Moses, or Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.

So too with the events of Biology, or Geology.
We can observe the effects of erosion caused by a quick flowing river - but that does nothing to verify our knowing how the Grand Canyon came about.

Does one need a doctorate to understand this?

No they do not.

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 01:44 AM

you have not contributed even one statement on topic this evening and you know it.

On this thread? Nope. Try looking throughout it. I was not going to let you get away with telling fibs tonight and you knew that.

partial quotes, edited posts, picking apart words and twisting meanings even when you are on topic and the people who have been on this forum for awhile already know this for sure if I have figured it out in 3 days.

What partial quotes, edited posts, and picking apart words are you referring to? huh I have been quoting YOUR OWN WORDS. Can you not comprehend your own writing? If you feel I have misrepresented your position at any point this evening, it would be on you to correct that.

Man I don't like what that says about me.

It makes me laugh honestly. laugh happy

I could post many partial qoutes that you have posted here but I have wasted far too much time communicating with you already.

As far as fibs, anyone who read the posts from tonight would agree that you are being a hypocrite in this regard.

And if someone saying that they don't like what it says in regards to them questioning why they are even speaking to you, makes you laugh, then you are more delusional than I had originally imagined.

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 01:27 AM
Edited by ImGary on Fri 02/13/09 01:31 AM

Well you can certainly see that I have been contributing on topic no less. What about gary? We are all waiting with baited breath.

lol- you have not contributed even one statement on topic this evening and you know it. lmao

You have to resort to untruths, partial quotes, edited posts, picking apart words and twisting meanings even when you are on topic and the people who have been on this forum for awhile already know this for sure if I have figured it out in 3 days.

Why am I communicating with you?

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 01:17 AM

Right. Anything you say. Still waiting on you to comment on topic? Any day now. Once you are done arguing.

Crickets chirping.

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 01:12 AM

Why do you think I used the term! It's an adjective used to referance women arguing. I know it was mean. I feel like a cat batting around a mouse right now. I should stop. This is cruel and evil of me. laugh happy :tongue:

You are truly delusional.

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 01:07 AM
Edited by ImGary on Fri 02/13/09 01:11 AM

NO I admitted only that I do not use slang terms.

Catty is not a slang term and you don’t even realize that.

I knew your catty context of catty

Then how come you had to look up the definition online and then decided that I must have been referring to a Chinese unit of measurement?

and painted you into a corner with it by using it to prove that it is you that is being catty, not I.

All you have demonstrated is that you did not know the definition for the word catty. It is most often used in reference to two women arguing. laugh That is why I knew you did not even know what it meant.

Since you refuse to read the thread, and offer any kind of comprehensive rebuttal form where the participants left off, we have no choice but to endure this crap.

OOO you got me. NOT! lol

Before you push the catty subject any further you should look at your profile picture.

No matter who you are, thats funny. :banana:

And what is a comprehensive rebuttal form? Where do I get one of those?

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 12:55 AM

I never said that was not a possible alternate definition. I am asking you how did you imagine the context to be that of a unit of weight in China when I asked you to stop being so catty in forum. That was the question. Please read what I write. You also admitted that you did not know the definition of the word.

NO I admitted only that I do not use slang terms. I knew your catty context of catty and painted you into a corner with it by using it to prove that it is you that is being catty, not I.

For those of you just joining the forum it has been hijacked by Krimsa and the topic is now "Respond to the post above if you are Catty".

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 12:39 AM
Edited by ImGary on Fri 02/13/09 12:40 AM

I guess the reading comprehension is a little steep. Okay I’ll wait for MS in the morning. happy Actually I forgot to tell you that "catty" really means when two girls argue and fight. laugh

Catty really means-any of the various units of weight of China and Southeast Asia varying around 600 grams. As most intellectual people do not use slang terms, I never considered what context you were invoking with the use of the term "catty". Although any response subsequent to this post will definately fall under your slang definition of catty because you shall be arguing with yourself.

And if it were in fact a unit of weight in China, how were you envisioning that context when I told you to stop being "catty" on forum? I will love to hear your response to that one. Catty is not a "slang term", sir. Someone who is unaware of the definition of "catty" would hardly qualify as an 'intellectual". At least I would be mortified if I were you.

Pasted from Merriam-Webster's online Dictionary

Main Entry: 1cat·ty
Pronunciation: \ˈka-tē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural catties
Etymology: Malay kati
Date: 1598
: any of various units of weight of China and southeast Asia varying around 11⁄3 pounds (about 600 grams)

I imagine you would be mortified, as you would be able to see the light finally(as in-Krimsa I would love to see your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my butt.)

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 12:22 AM

I guess the reading comprehension is a little steep. Okay I’ll wait for MS in the morning. happy Actually I forgot to tell you that "catty" really means when two girls argue and fight. laugh

Catty really means-any of the various units of weight of China and Southeast Asia varying around 600 grams. As most intellectual people do not use slang terms, I never considered what context you were invoking with the use of the term "catty". Although any response subsequent to this post will definately fall under your slang definition of catty because you shall be arguing with yourself.

ImGary's photo
Fri 02/13/09 12:01 AM
Edited by ImGary on Fri 02/13/09 12:15 AM

Well now that you understand that some people choose to not drink, did you want to get back on the topic? Were you going to enlist the time reading the thread at all? :wink:

I am glad you agree with my FOUR attempts at getting back on topic previously.

As far as reading the thread, nothing that you or anyone else has stated previously in this thread could possibly change what I believe so it would be a moot point.

ImGary's photo
Thu 02/12/09 11:57 PM

Response to what?

exactly

ImGary's photo
Thu 02/12/09 11:50 PM

Well basically. Although "do not" implies that I still can and choose of my own volition not to. Also, I was afraid on my profile if i selected never drinks it could be a problem if someone thought I was incapable of drinking which would be a lie. Anyway, are we ever going to talk about evolution on this thread again?

No response necessary.

ImGary's photo
Thu 02/12/09 11:44 PM

I have nothing to lose in my belief-

Really? Aren’t you a Christian? Seems like you would have quite a bit invested in this.

Me having nothing to lose means that if I am wrong I have still had a more satisfying life(you will twist this I am sure)

Why do you think I will twist? I quote you and it is your own words. I merely pointed out that you were a Christian which means that you should have at least something invested in this. It’s your god after all, not mine. I think most Christians would feel strongly but maybe you just don’t care.

by living by Christian principles

And what are those principles? We know historically they have meant death, oppression, torture and imprisonments for millions. I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t hardly even use foul language. I don’t believe for one minute that Christians have corned the market on moral behavior.

My investment is faith.

I thought you said you had nothing invested in this.

You having everything to lose means that if you are wrong you are going to Hell

I don’t believe in hell and even if it were true, oh well. I’m not afraid of something like that.

It has nothing to do with investments.

You JUST stated you had FAITH INVESTED.

Read above the words "I don't drink". Don't means "do not" which is synonymous with never.

You stated that you don't drink but its an option for you, so by saying that you don't drink isn't lying because you could if you wanted to. Well murder is an option for you so is it safe to say that by that logic one could say that you were a murderer because you could murder if you wanted to?

Ok...here once more....a simple case of miscommunication:

Krimsa says, "I don't drink."

To Krimsa that means she doesn't , except on rare occasions.....

but since she is on a dating site,
she felt it best to say occassionally on her profile , in case she met a person who is a recovering alcoholic.

BUT Gary hears something entirely different ,laugh

simpy because Gary is ONLY HEARING

what Krimsa is SAYING,

and NOT what Krimsa is MEANING!!

Both of you might benefit by purchasing and reading
a book called ,"He Said She Said.":wink:

( I forget the author)

Nite nite to everyone now...flowerforyou:heart:flowerforyou

LOL-I agree totally(I think).

ImGary's photo
Thu 02/12/09 11:18 PM
Edited by ImGary on Thu 02/12/09 11:21 PM

You stated that you don't drink but its an option for you,

Do not is not the same as never. Look I will prove it in grammatical structure.

I do not eat sushi.

I will eat sushi but I choose not to eat it. This implies I do not want the sushi but I am not incapable of eating the sushi.

LOL- I truly respect your determination Krimsa. I am not incapable of getting on the Space Shuttle and going to the International Space Station but guess what, I will NEVER set foot on the International Space Station, I can assure you of this and as much as I would like to give you a little slice of victory here, I can't.

Do not is synonymous with never, I am sorry.

ImGary's photo
Thu 02/12/09 11:06 PM

Read above the words "I don't drink".

Don’t is not synonymous with never. I also just explained. This is a dating site. If a man approached me under the mistaken notion that I NEVER drink or am incapable of drinking and I can, then that would be a lie. I have also drunk in the past and can in the future if I choose.

Don't means "do not" which is synonymous with never.

No it isn’t and especially not in the situation mentioned above. If someone is in recovery from alcoholism, they can not be around alcohol. They can not be with someone who drinks AT ALL in most cases.

You stated that you don't drink but its an option for you,

Yes I don’t choose to drink but if I was presented with a glass of wine, yes I could drink that wine. I have no medical conditions that would prohibit me drinking.

so by saying that you don't drink isn't lying because you could if you wanted to.

Exactly.

Well murder is an option for you so is it safe to say that by that logic one could say that you were a murderer because you could murder if you wanted to?

Anyone could murder if they wanted to. An alcoholic in recovery willfully chooses not to drink. It is not an option for them and ideally they would choose not to be with someone who can drink, even if on occasion. They want someone who NEVER drinks so they are not tempted.

Did you just say that "do not" is not synonymous with "never"?

I "do not" engage in eating sushi. How does this statement mean anything different than I "never" eat sushi?

ImGary's photo
Thu 02/12/09 10:55 PM

I said I dont drink and I dont smoke and I rarely use foul language. If I were to go out to dinner and there was a bottle of wine I could have a glass if I wanted. I do not drink to the point of intoxication. If I stated that I never drank on my profile, and a man approached me who was a recovered alcoholic, that would be misleading to him because I CAN drink. This is a dating site after all.

No I won't have sex with you. Stop begging.

ImGary's photo
Thu 02/12/09 10:52 PM
Edited by ImGary on Thu 02/12/09 10:53 PM

I have nothing to lose in my belief-

Really? Aren’t you a Christian? Seems like you would have quite a bit invested in this.

Me having nothing to lose means that if I am wrong I have still had a more satisfying life(you will twist this I am sure)

Why do you think I will twist? I quote you and it is your own words. I merely pointed out that you were a Christian which means that you should have at least something invested in this. It’s your god after all, not mine. I think most Christians would feel strongly but maybe you just don’t care.

by living by Christian principles

And what are those principles? We know historically they have meant death, oppression, torture and imprisonments for millions. I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t hardly even use foul language. I don’t believe for one minute that Christians have corned the market on moral behavior.

My investment is faith.

I thought you said you had nothing invested in this.

You having everything to lose means that if you are wrong you are going to Hell

I don’t believe in hell and even if it were true, oh well. I’m not afraid of something like that.

It has nothing to do with investments.

You JUST stated you had FAITH INVESTED.

Read above the words "I don't drink". Don't means "do not" which is synonymous with never.

You stated that you don't drink but its an option for you, so by saying that you don't drink isn't lying because you could if you wanted to. Well murder is an option for you so is it safe to say that by that logic one could say that you were a murderer because you could murder if you wanted to?