Community > Posts By > darthseb

darthseb's photo
Thu 12/04/08 08:33 PM

ARGUMENT FROM SALAD BAR
(1) I only believe in the parts of the Bible that I want to believe.
(2) The parts I believe are logical and make sense.
(3) Therefore, the Bible is logical and makes sense.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

This where about 99.9% of modern Christians are coming from.

The organized religion has long since been dead. All that's left is what I've been calling "Designer Christians"

But maybe "Salad Bar Christians" it truly a better term. flowerforyou

I don't see how anyone can romanticize the idea that some guy had to be nailed to a pole to save their butt.

Where's the romance in that? If that were really the truth, it would be the most disgraceful shameful thing I can possibly think of. Yet people romanticize this notion ever day. ohwell

I agree on this Abra. Back when I was reading the bible (Ive since quit that) I was actually labeling the parts that I was okay with. I had green post its and I was actually sticking them into the passages I liked. A few were.

Thou shalt not steal.

What is stolen or wrongfully acquired should be returned to the owner.

Leave some grapes on the vine for travelers and the poor.

Don't gossip.

Don't hate people.

So I made an effort. There is more than these few actually. But these are all common sense, decent moral imperatives in which to govern ones life.

I dont need the bible to tell me this crap!

I would do it anyway.

So these would be my personal salad bits that I like and then I would throw away the rest of the bible. I reject all the horror, anger, bitterness and resentment. Its depressing. tears

As an atheist, I wish more people would at least read that part about turning the other cheek. I'm tired of "vengeance-junkies." They make me sick.

darthseb's photo
Thu 12/04/08 03:02 PM
Bump?

darthseb's photo
Fri 11/28/08 02:31 AM
Yo, any ladies down here up for hanging out?