Community > Posts By > joefinsternis

joefinsternis's photo
Wed 01/22/14 11:11 PM

not to break up the flow! but is it Hills have eyes 2. where the opening shots are. you hear a woman's voice screaming in the background Outasight.. then the camera pans over to her tied to a bed. giving birth. hands take the newly pushed out baby. then. camera pans to her head shot.. and immediately. unknown person. plunges a hammer into her skull. so much like breeding cattle and then slaughtering them... best shocking visual I've seen yet... but again not sure
which one. Hills

Have Eyes 1 .2 or 3.

There's a 3?

joefinsternis's photo
Mon 01/20/14 09:52 PM
2013 was a year that started off pretty meh for me. Over the first few months I got to experience Texas Chainsaw 3D, Oz the Great and Powerful, Bullet to the Head, John Dies at the End, and The Great Gatsby, and I wondered if I was ever going to have a single satisfying movie experience from that year.* But then I was surprised.
In naming my top ten, this is only a matter of personal preferences. I realize that several of you will disagree with several of these choices, but it's my list and I would appreciate it if you could be civil in your disagreement. Also, this is only going by what I've seen so far. I haven't viewed The Wolf of Wall Street or Gravity yet, but I'm sure I'll love them when I get around to it.
10. The Wolverine
9. V/H/S/2
8. This is the End
7. Man of steel
6. Frankenstein's Army
5. Scenic Route
4. American Mary
3. The World's End
2. Kick-*** 2
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

So what are some of your favorites from last year? It doesn't have to be a top ten, of course. You could just do a top five or one. I'm not going to tell you what to do.

*I realize that some of those "meh" films are well liked by some people - with the exception of the first one, I hope. But again, this is just a matter of personal taste. Disagree by all means, but please do so without biting my head off. Thank you.

joefinsternis's photo
Mon 01/20/14 09:40 PM
My personal pick would be Salo. I could watch Cannibal Holocaust, a film notorious for real live animal death scenes, on a 24 hour loop before sitting through Salo a second time. On top of being disturbing as all hell, it was extremely depressing. One sadistic technique that I actually kind of admire is that the director didn't give you any time to know the victims. You're aware that they're all human beings who had lives before this terrible incident befell them, but for the most part the story is told from the perspective of the captors, while the youths are practically dehumanized.
With that being said, I will be keeping this film in my collection unless it spontaneously bursts into flame. I wouldn't have the heart to get rid of something that affected me so profoundly.
A friend of mine said that A Serbian Film was more disturbing, but he also said it was all about the shock value and there was no substance to the story. So I don't know if I'll bother to watch that one.

joefinsternis's photo
Mon 01/20/14 09:28 PM
Edited by joefinsternis on Mon 01/20/14 09:30 PM
I'm really not sure what to say here that isn't already on my profile. So here goes.
My name is Joe (I know, you would've never guessed) and I'm a pretty laid back person. I try to avoid drama as much as possible, and I like to keep things light. I have an odd and often sarcastic sense of humor, but I can take a joke just as well as I dish it out.
I love a variety of genres in film, literature, and music, but my favorite is horror. My favorite movie is currently Excision, my favorite book is John Dies at the End by David Wong, and my favorite band of all time is Rammstein. I know that horror isn't necessarily a genre of music, but I do tend to gravitate towards darker material. Some artists I listen to besides Rammstein include Otep, Creature Feature, Disturbed, and Rob Zombie.
Most of all, I am a huge movie person, so that's likely to be the forum you see me frequent the most. I write reviews as a hobby, and I'd like to pursue a career as a reviewer in the future. I also write poetry and love to draw. My art is far from perfect, but more than anything it's something I use to vent my feelings. Aside from the profile pic, I also uploaded one of my more recent drawings to this site if you want to check that out.
From what I've seen so far, Mingle2 seems like just as much a social network as a dating site. So even if I do end up finding that special someone, I might continue to frequent this site for the forums alone.
Oh, and in case you didn't bother to read my profile, despite my username and favorite band, no I am not fluent in German. I've translated all of Rammstein's songs and I know a few of them by heart, but if you try having a conversation with me in that language I'll be completely lost. Ich sprechen Englisch.

joefinsternis's photo
Sun 01/19/14 09:44 PM

It's been awhile since I've been shocked by an ending.

I'll have to check that one out sometime.
Have you seen Excision? That had possibly the most heartbreaking ending I've ever seen.

joefinsternis's photo
Sun 01/19/14 09:40 PM
Damn, it looks like there's a lot of horror fans on this site. I'm feeling right at home.
The last really good flick I watched was Cockneys Vs Zombies. One of the funniest films I've seen in a while. I'd give it a 9/10.
I also just watched The Hagstone Demon today. It seemed to be going good throughout most of the duration. It was setting up as a slow burning character study with a charming amount of quirkiness, but then during the final act it just completely fell apart for me. I thought I'd end up giving it an 8 or a 9, but after that ending it's been bumped down to a 3.

joefinsternis's photo
Sun 01/19/14 09:27 PM
Edited by joefinsternis on Sun 01/19/14 09:28 PM
My favorite novel is John Dies at the End by David Wong. It's the only book I've ever read that was equally as scary as it was funny. The horror made the humor that much more hilarious, and the humor made the horror that much more terrifying. There was recently a movie adaptation, but I don't recommend it. They tried making it all comedy and it just fell flat.

My favorite genre is horror. Behind JDATE, some other favorites would be The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell, The Outsider by H.P. Lovecraft, and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I've always been interested in dark material.

And lastly, I'm currently reading Next by Michael Crichton. There are a few too many characters, but it's an entertaining read. I'm 178 pages in so far.

joefinsternis's photo
Sun 01/19/14 09:16 PM
Smooth Criminal is a good choice.
My personal favorite is Otep's Not to Touch the Earth. I love the original too, but I thought Otep added more intensity and atmosphere to the piece. The intro has made me jump more than once.

joefinsternis's photo
Sun 01/19/14 09:12 PM
I'm not religious, but I do enjoy some of Disturbed's material involving faith. Inside the Fire and Overburdened are particularly effective, imo.

joefinsternis's photo
Sun 01/19/14 09:08 PM
I take this key and I bury it in you, because you're unforgiven too.

joefinsternis's photo
Sun 01/19/14 08:52 PM
Indianapolis. Born and raised here, unfortunately.