Community > Posts By > arwen4CJ

arwen4CJ's photo
Fri 09/05/08 06:13 AM

Something that confuses me.

If god, Jesus and the holy spirit are all one and the same, what is the purpose for the use of three different "names". It seems to me that the consistent use of a single "name" would avoid a whole boatload of confusion and disagreement. Whereas I don't see any benefits that the Triune brings to the table to outweight those problems.

Because although the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the same God, they are still different persons. Jesus is not the Father, Jesus is not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father. The Father is not the Holy Spirit and the Father is not Jesus.

The Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit all have personhood.

And there is a single name that you can call the whole triune God -- Yahweh, or as some people prefer, Jehovah.

Yahweh = the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit...one God in three persons.

arwen4CJ's photo
Thu 09/04/08 07:49 PM
Yes, Jesus Christ is God, though He is not the Father.

I'm a Trinitarian, and I believe that the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit are all God (Yahweh).

Jesus Christ is identified as Lord and Savior. It would be impossible for Him to be Lord of lords and King of kings if He were not God. It would be impossible for Him to be Savior if He were not God.

There are not two gods, and there are not three gods. There is only one God, and He is triune. The Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all the same God.

There are several verses that I use to back Jesus' deity up, specifically:
John 1:1-3 and John 1:14 NASB
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

14And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 8:58
58Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

2 Peter 1:1
1Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

Jude 1:4
4For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Titus 2:13-14
13looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, 14who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

Hebrews 1:8
8But of the Son He says,
"YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER,
AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM.

Colossians 1:15-20
15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.

17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

18He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Colossians 2:9
9For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form,

Isaiah 9:6
6For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
And the government will rest on His shoulders;
And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Zechariah 12:10
10"I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn.

Revelation 1:7-8
7BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.

8"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Revelation 1:12-18
12Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands; 13and in the middle of the lampstands I saw one like a son of man, clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across His chest with a golden sash. 14His head and His hair were white like white wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire. 15His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been made to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters. 16In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength.

17When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 18and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.

There are more verses I could use...but this should show how Trinitarians support our viewpoint.

arwen4CJ's photo
Thu 09/04/08 07:19 PM
I believe that we were created to have an intimate, personal relationship with God....to love Him and to be loved by Him