Community > Posts By > helpinneed

helpinneed's photo
Mon 06/10/13 08:19 AM

I agree there is a big difference between like and love, and though love is thought to abide, conquer all, overcome all obstacles, be blind, and many other things, the truth is love is just an emotion.

Can two people sustain one common emotion for eternally? Common, that's expecting way too much if you ask me. But if they are also best friends and lovers, they don't have to be matched love for love through every minute of their relationship. I believe a lasting relationship has many facets and phases, and love and like, while vital components, are only two of them. IMO flowerforyou

Sounds like you had better check out all the facets and phases before you marry someone no matter what your definition of marriage is. Great point you made I think? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

helpinneed's photo
Mon 06/10/13 08:08 AM

I think it's important to be friends with someone first before a romantic relationship develops for just this reason. If you are able to relate to each other on different levels, ad communicate in different ways, then the love part has a better chance of lasting.

I love people in my family, but I don't like all of them. I like and love my husband, so s
Ending time with him is a joy, not a burden!

Now that makes me feel good about a marriage that
a society can use as an example. I like your contrast
with people in your family and a great marriage.

helpinneed's photo
Mon 06/10/13 08:04 AM

I think it's important to be friends with someone first before a romantic relationship develops for just this reason. If you are able to relate to each other on different levels, ad communicate in different ways, then the love part has a better chance of lasting.

I love people in my family, but I don't like all of them. I like and love my husband, so s
Ending time with him is a joy, not a burden!

helpinneed's photo
Mon 06/10/13 08:01 AM

There was an old movie I think called Shannondoah.In the movie a young boy was wishing to marry a young girl and in those days, of course, it was a custom for the man to ask the father if he could have her daughter in marriage. The father said" do you like her?". The boy said "I love her". The father said I did not ask you that I asked " do you like her?". Again the boy said ,"but I love her". The father said son before I can give my daughter to you in marriage I need to know if you like her first. You see love fades away, but if you like her you will be with her for life. This brings up the question which is more important Liking someone enough to say you will be there through thick and thin of the ups and downs or Love the person until things go bad and then realize you cant stay the relationship any longer?

I think it is easier to continue loving someone if you first LIKE Them,,,sometimes we are too wrapped up in the IDEA of love , we confuse attraction and fun and very temporary emotions with Love and when we fade we no longer feel like we 'love' them

I think we are apt to still 'like' someone even when they arent fun, or attractive,,etc,,

That is my thinking on it as well and good statement.

helpinneed's photo
Mon 06/10/13 07:55 AM
I'm new. waving

helpinneed's photo
Mon 06/10/13 07:31 AM

"Competition in relationships' as opposed to partnership"

Wow how true is that....

I agree with you msharmony.

Partners in:
raising the kids
attention to each others needs
partners in finances
partners in living environment
partners in education
partners in planning
partners in business
partners in social needs

Now that is an interesting concept if it can be applied to marriages in the future. Was there a time period in the past where it was more prevalent? Like years of the depression, farming families, small communities etc. I like it and think it is very important concept that is unique for happiness in a family and individuals. As said a family unit. Wow! Great job. Definitely would be my advice to couples before a marriage. Sounds very logical and inclusive of all. Now there is a book to write on this topic, but can it be put in a approach that a common person,the average joe can understand, so that the whole world can gain the benefits?

helpinneed's photo
Sat 06/08/13 08:08 PM
There was an old movie I think called Shannondoah.In the movie a young boy was wishing to marry a young girl and in those days, of course, it was a custom for the man to ask the father if he could have her daughter in marriage. The father said" do you like her?". The boy said "I love her". The father said I did not ask you that I asked " do you like her?". Again the boy said ,"but I love her". The father said son before I can give my daughter to you in marriage I need to know if you like her first. You see love fades away, but if you like her you will be with her for life. This brings up the question which is more important Liking someone enough to say you will be there through thick and thin of the ups and downs or Love the person until things go bad and then realize you cant stay the relationship any longer?

helpinneed's photo
Sat 06/08/13 07:55 PM
There is no doubt that "Married For Life" was imposed on generations of people.

helpinneed's photo
Sat 06/08/13 07:31 PM
I try to make my day by doing a golden deed to someone in need. I have realized my life on earth is but a span and that it is important that I do the best I can. I am a ex collegiate, professional athlete, teacher, coach of 33 years and retired. I have moved to Columbia, Tn. in the last 2 weeks. So all in town is new to me. I am interested in adding to this community the best I can and if I make any mistakes along the way please accept my apologizes.