Community > Posts By > freckles4christ

freckles4christ's photo
Sat 06/14/08 11:21 AM

Do you think celibacy is necessary for a religious leader? Do you think celibacy adds to the pious nature of anyone who practices it?

If your are answering from a Christian perspective, please feel free to use Biblical scripture to explain your beliefs in this matter.

I've been reading the responses to this original post and I have to say I am disappointed. Not one person has gone to the Scriptures with this. It's all about a calling. I know, when you think of being "called" you naturally think of being called into the ministry or being called into a certain profession, but when we are following God's will we are following His calling, even something as trivial as helping a friend move counts. Some are called to celibacy and others to marriage.

I COrinthians 7: 1 - 9
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.But I speak this by permission, [and] not of commandment.For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

If that doesnt answer your question, nothing else will. Everything else is just an argument or a means to justify sin. The need for human touch and love is natural and encouraged...it's all a matter of what God is calling you to do.

freckles4christ's photo
Tue 06/10/08 10:33 PM
Unfortunately feralcatlady, that's not always a given. Some people will say the prayer without ever believing the words they are saying and with no intentions of ever making a change. For what is repentance without the intention of change?

freckles4christ's photo
Tue 06/10/08 09:44 PM
Here's the thing that many fail to realize. People are people wether they have "religion" or not. Everyone at one point or another is a hypocrite. The only thing is that if a non Christian acts like a hypocrite, people just write it off, but the minute someone claiming to be a Christian does something contrary to what they say they believe (in other words make a human mistake) he or she is labeled a hypocrite and all of Christianity is written off as something close-minded people need to feel good about themselves.

I say that if you are going to say anything about Christianity you must first understand what it is. I am a Christian. I hate religion. I believe in a relationship with Jesus Christ who died for my sins so that I could one day go to Heaven. Now if you have a problem with what I believe or think me to be close-minded, that's your perrogative. But think about this, why is it that when a Christian mentions her beliefs and stands true to those she is labeled a close-minded radical, but if she ever wavers and makes a mistake she is labeled a hypocrite? Is not doing that a hypocritical act in itself? Think about it.