Community > Posts By > whow

whow's photo
Fri 07/11/08 09:03 PM
Depends on the jurisdiction.

whow's photo
Fri 07/11/08 08:46 PM
I like dogs and cats but Robert De Niro said it best asking Gaylord Focker in Meet the Parents, "Do you prefer the company of a shallow animal?"

whow's photo
Fri 07/11/08 08:42 PM

It's friday night, why are you home???

My date called out, said her boss is making her stay at wotk late to do billing??

Who does billing on a friday in the middle of the month?????

I think I was dumped!!

Maybe she was being held at knifepoint and you couldn't read between the lines. Do you know where she works? bigsmile

whow's photo
Fri 07/04/08 12:17 AM

Therefore, I do believe Absolution is the way to go. It is good to consider all sides, but when it comes down to it, you should find a place to stand, or be the lost soul who takes no part, because they waste their time debating, caught into..... The Grey.

Finding an absolute place to stand guarantees conflict because some will choose one side, and some another, and there will never be a winner because there is no authority on who is right. If two or more groups have inflexible absolutes in direct conflict, there will not be peaceful coexistence.

The two or more groups fail to realize that the others' absolute positions are no less valid than their own, so instead of taking this to mean that both equally valid absolutes in conflict must mean both are invalid and dropping them, they kill each other. When absolutes are abandoned all of sudden it's a lot easier get along with your neighbors and agree with a common perception of the real world, because everybody is working with the same information. Subscription to an authority dictating absolutes is the point where things begin to break down because there can be no winner other than elimination of the other viewpoint or avoidance of the point of contention altogether, i.e. isolationism.

whow's photo
Fri 07/04/08 12:06 AM

in the tangible world there IS black and white.

Absolutely. Shades of gray simply means more than two and black and white means only two, and it is alarming to me how often it gets reduced to pedantics by through literal interpretion and suggestion they are mutually exclusive.

Funny..I'm more prone to "gray" when it comes to right and wrong.
(It's wrong to steal the cookie...period. It's also wrong to let someone go into diabetic shock because you refuse to steal.)

Ah, so when the means is wrong, but the end is good, was the means still wrong? Perhaps it depends on the person from whom something was taken. The fun of grays.... At least the diabetic isn't in shock.

whow's photo
Thu 07/03/08 11:39 PM
By the way, I don't believe in absolute right and wrong.

whow's photo
Thu 07/03/08 11:38 PM
I would argue that that recognizing shades of gray in the world allows one to consider all of the information for making informed decisions about where they stand. If you discard all but two colors, then yes, it is easier, but not necessarily better. Stop lights used to only have two colors. You knew when to go and when to stop, and that was it. That yellow light does leave some ambiguity of "should I hit the brakes or keep going?", and you have to think about where you stand, but I'll take it and be better off personally and as a citizen for it.

whow's photo
Thu 07/03/08 11:15 PM

Well put!

but again...when it comes to how YOU see the world....THAT is your absolute truth....right?....or just your perception tonight?

I think there are many angles and it is a virtue I can only wish to possess more often to perceive from more than one.

whow's photo
Thu 07/03/08 11:10 PM
Black and white is no way for me to color a world filled with so many shades of gray.

whow's photo
Thu 07/03/08 11:00 PM

because it dealt with you getting paired up with yourself.

Reminds me of an older headline from The Onion: "Area Man Accidentally Responds To Own 'M4M' Ad"

whow's photo
Thu 07/03/08 10:40 PM
Edited by whow on Thu 07/03/08 10:40 PM

Is honesty the best policy?

Often.

No matter how much it will affect someone you care about or wish to know and hope to be with in a negative sense?

No.

Or are some things better left unsaid?

Yes.

Can you handle it?

Yes, Jack.

whow's photo
Thu 07/03/08 09:52 PM

that reminds me of 40 yr old virgin, knock knock hi im here for the gang bang.!!!!!laugh laugh laugh laugh

I think you mean Old School!

whow's photo
Sat 06/28/08 10:42 PM

I'm sure whatever church he likes attending would be fine for me.

Even a non-christian church?

whow's photo
Fri 06/27/08 11:13 PM
I card all dates who appear under 35.

whow's photo
Fri 06/27/08 11:03 PM
I have only one piece of advice: when the doctor asks if you need more narcotic painkillers, NEVER say no! frustrated

whow's photo
Fri 06/27/08 10:53 PM

they can decide for themselves if it is for them or not.

Sounds like a reasonable approach. If I had kids, I would rather, like anything else in life, have an approach of starting with nothing and searching for evidence of truth rather than the other way around, like Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller says in his This I Believe segment on NPR.

whow's photo
Fri 06/27/08 10:47 PM

i'd accept it if i felt love for the person anything is worth it if it feels right

What if it were really serious, with marriage a mutual goal, but the other person would not marry you unless you joined the religion? Does that still qualify as worth it?
not worth it

I think about this a lot. A friend of mine did this. I know what love is like, so I can see how somebody would do it when basking in the good feeling. Somebody could be more accepting of ideas otherwise incongruent with their thoughts if they were flooded with euphoria. I thought about this for the first time recently, how that could happen. But when one converts for love then the reason they did it seems to quickly evaporate or start to be ignored, minimizing attention to the big picture or all the original information.

whow's photo
Fri 06/27/08 10:39 PM

It's just a big PITA because you have to plan everything around the church..it sucks up time and money like a vaccuum.

I assume you're not a smoker then! tongue2
no- what does smoking have to do with the topic?

think

because you have to plan everything around the it..it sucks up time and money like a vaccuum.

oh..so smoking and churchgoing are simliar? laugh laugh

yea, i'm kinda not getting that either. I think the parralell is that going to church wastes time and money or something, and smoking does to. Though so does food, and vacations.

I'm still trying to quit food. :thumbsup:

whow's photo
Fri 06/27/08 10:37 PM

i'd accept it if i felt love for the person anything is worth it if it feels right

What if it were really serious, with marriage a mutual goal, but the other person would not marry you unless you joined the religion? Does that still qualify as worth it?

whow's photo
Fri 06/27/08 10:32 PM

Ok... so her cooter dont really itch... we were bored!!! But thanks for the concern... you guys are awesome!

i'm still going to get the pics,right?spock

Make sure she holds up a copy of today's paper, too.