Community > Posts By > PEACECHILD

PEACECHILD's photo
Mon 02/18/08 10:30 PM
I'm a mother of two daughters who are on myspace too.. My oldest daughter found the site first, formed a site, and then helped me form one, then the youngest.. As with all options of cyberspace communication, this site has it's pros and cons.. We've invited other friends and family members across the states to join.. It is a great place for all of us to keep up with communicating with each other with writing and pictures.. Some family that we had not been in contact for years, are all now communicating on this MYSPACE.. If you knew more about the site, you'd understand that your niece being 16 yr.s old, legally has no choice but to have it private to the public.. She can reach out for friends, but no one who isn't a friend of hers, cannot see or read any of her pictures, blogs, or her own profile page.. So, unfortunately, you being concerned about who might see her blogs, you may have stepped on her new found freedom, that she is building with her friends.. This is a whole new generation of ""CYBERSPACE TEENAGERS!!"" It is too bad that you got yourself blocked from her site, but, she probally felt that you aren't her mother, and were over-stepping your opinions of her, ""NEW FOUND FRIEND SITE!"" If her mother is worried, she can sit with your niece, and look over her list of friends, and ask her daughter questions.. I guess that is where the trust comes in.. The only people who are friends on her site, and can read her page and blogs, and see her pic.s, are those she personally allows to.. That is one of the good thing about ""MYSPACE,"" is that they do try to protect our underagers!! As in anyway of life, there are rules and regulations on the site.. My oldest daughter first had a youthful approach to her site, filled with lots of single friends and was paticular about whom she allowed as friends.. now, she's in a committed relationship, is a young mother of two, so most of her friends are fellow mothers, co-workers, and personal friends and family.. My youngest daughter is 17 yrs. old. She's a senior in high school, has a youthful site, but her site is private, and if she doesn't know a person who is asking for a friend invite, she doesn't approve it.. I trust her, and she has proved no mis-trusts from me from the site.. I am a friend of hers on her site, (first box!!,) and am also a subscriber to her blog.. not to spy on her, but to read about her feelings and poetry that she posts.. I do not have her password, and don't want it.. I try to stay out of her business as she asks of me.. Like you said, that your niece is new to myspace.. As she matures, so will her site.. You know that you can send her messages even if you're not a friend.. If I was you, I'd step back, and let her discover herself, learn about other friends away from ruling parents, and she will be okay.. Now, if she starts getting phone calls, and starts sneaking out to meet others without telling, than maybe her mother needs to be more involved with the ""MYSPACE SITE."" As with anything that involves out children, the parents should be monitoring your nieces activities, but, MYSPACE is a safe site.. Only those you allow into your world (site,) can be into your business.. I say, let the child be a teenager, and let her mother be her mother.. If the only reason you're her friend is to spy on her, shame on you... You're missing out on a great way to communicate and be apart of your niece's life.. Try to approach this problem as of maybe you're feeling that since you can't control your niece's activies on this site, you're not in approval of her having it... I don't know Kat, like I said, ""HER SITE IS PRIVATE TO THE PUBLIC, AND ONLY THOSE SHE CHOOSES AS FRIENDS CAN BE ALLOWED TO SEE ANYTHING OTHER THAN HER PROFILE PICTURE!!"" Both of my girls have never had any negative happen to them from having a site on myspace.. Just let your niece be ""16!!"" Good luck, and I hope that your mistrust doesn't interfere with you and your niece's relationship..