Community > Posts By > artian

no photo
Sat 04/26/08 11:16 PM
oh wow, i like the second one, he sounds like someone i know

no photo
Sat 04/12/08 11:56 PM
yeah i suppose you are going to say that she had it coming http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/18/soldiers.court/index.html

no photo
Sat 04/12/08 11:53 PM
flowerforyou flowerforyou for the poor people of iraq who keep getting killed by all sides

no photo
Sun 04/06/08 12:46 PM
you forgot

9:00 AM How to Spell and Speak Good, with GW BUSH
10:00 AM Good Morning Delusion, American News Roundup
11:00 The Price is Right, **** Cheney on how to profit while America goes broke.
1:00 PM The Economy is Fine, and other fairy tales from the white house

no photo
Tue 03/11/08 10:17 AM
peoples metaphors and languages have changed and all of the things written here are translations from other languages and historical and geographic cultures.

Its a mistake to read them with a 20th century literal mind. Even at their own times careful interpretation was used to derive meaning.

The holy scriptures and secular documents like the US constitution were radical social documents in their time. We still look at the constitution and interpret the meaning based on what we think was the intention and how it might apply to todays world.

Why wouldn't you give revelations that same respect?

When the Greeks of Millet said a democracy was one person , one vote, they meant white men over 40. They had slaves, wives were chattle and 39 year olds were still kids.

The US Constitution advocated rights for all, as long as they were not African slaves.

An Eye for an Eye, is radical when you live in a society where if you kill my cousin, i obliterate your entire extended family.

Chopping heads and fingertips is a metaphor for the abilties of acting and thinking/speaking. These terms are still used in describing organizations. The department head, he is his right hand man.

If you think these texts are gory, read grimms fairy tales, or watch Saw IV. Humans like blood, gore and murder, we are weird that way.

:smile:

no photo
Mon 03/10/08 07:30 PM
I think when you come across elements of any scripture, tora, new testament or koran it is important to consider context in terms of chapter/other parapgraphs surrounding the text in question and historical context(was there an occasion at which this text was related).

We do this quite commonly when reading the speeches of politicians and constitutional law, it seems prudent to do the same for all texts.

here is an introduction to the chapter from which you pulled the quote. Unvelievers here are not the west, but rather neighboring tribes of the region(Arab tribes), which had essentially taken out a contract on the early muslim community(offering cash for the murder of the members of this radical social movement).

It seems to me the whole chapter is to inspire steadfastness against much greater odds and armamend.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/maududi/mau8.html

no photo
Mon 03/10/08 05:00 PM
that was a great read, thanks!

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:56 PM
yeah but you can't find it after 2 am,

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:54 PM
you can return the bottle and get back your 5 cent deposit

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:44 PM
Looks ugly. Tastes great. - goes with the topic i thought, :P

Heineken refreshes the parts other boyfriends cannot reach. - was the immplication

some beers are less filling - ahem

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:39 PM
Looks ugly. Tastes great. (Stella Artois in a plastic bottle).

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:38 PM
: Give him a right good Hemeling tonight

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:36 PM
Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach.

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:27 PM
some beers are less filling

no photo
Tue 02/05/08 11:14 PM
it goes well with the nut(s), lol