Community > Posts By > Fiddlemaker

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sun 02/23/20 01:19 AM
Good or bad based on their belief, I think the violins I make are going to be around for a very long time.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/22/20 09:54 PM

It's hard for me to ask for help, but sometimes I do accept it.

That is true for almost everyone.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/22/20 09:31 PM
I help when I can.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/22/20 07:05 PM
Good I guess I need to spent more time on the forums.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Fri 02/21/20 07:06 AM
They are hungry and want to be comfortable.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Thu 02/20/20 06:57 PM
Complement them on their dress and do not forget the shoes.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Wed 02/19/20 01:51 AM
Yes it is. now I am chuckling again thinking about it. Thanks for the laugh

Fiddlemaker's photo
Tue 02/18/20 10:58 PM
Edited by Fiddlemaker on Tue 02/18/20 11:05 PM
Entitled Dad
Two years ago before my wife passed, I was commissioned to build a ¾ size violin. The guy that was asking was a real j###. Demanding the best material and wanted the instrument by next week.
I said that I’m sorry, but the materials alone will take a week to get here. He did say he really needed it for his daughter the next week. Then you may want to settle on a less expensive instrument. I have plenty of used and repaired good quality instruments available. He then went on a rant about having nothing but the best. I said ok, but a handmade instrument will cost about 1200.00 $US.
He said fine, and said he would be back next week to get the instrument. He also refused to place a deposit for material and sign a contract.
Since he did not sign a contract or provide a deposit, I rummaged through my spare wood bin. I did find a back for a viola that was missing the neck button. It was tiger maple and you could use it for a ¾ size instrument. I was a highly flamed piece of wood big enough to make a one piece back out of. I thought why not and got started carving and shaping the parts needed. I made the fingerboard, pegs and tailpiece from reclaimed Rosewood from the Chicago Theater.
When he came in the next week I showed him the progress and told him about the materials I had used. He then started complaining that the instrument was not finished, and that he should get a discount for it being late. I said I am sorry, but the materials came from my shop were all high quality. No discount will be offered. After a bit of huffing by him and me not giving an inch, I asked if he still wanted the instrument. He said yes but it better be finished by the next time he comes in.
Back to work and I was putting in sixteen hour days to get the instrument finished, finely the day came when the instrument was finished. A few days later he showed up wanting the instrument. While I was waiting for him to show up I had the instrument on display.
One girl about ten years old would always stare at the instrument and ask to play it for her lesson. I allowed her to use it for her lesson in the music store next to mine, as I knew her instructor and was not worried about the instrument being damaged.
About a week later, Entitled Dad shows up at the same this girl’s lesson is scheduled for.
While she was staring at the instrument again, he started demanding that I sell it to him at 75% off due to the instrument being late and not the material that he wanted. I was a bit stunned that he would talk this way in front of other customers and in such condensing tone. After he finely stopped ranting, I said, “Ok, first you did not put deposit on the instrument, second you did not sign a contract for the commission”. Finally I said that this instrument was not his, yes I made it for him at his request. Since you do not wish to pay for the labor and materials the instrument is mine to do with as I please.
I then called the little girl up to the counter and handed her the instrument. I also stated that the half size instrument she currently had was all that I needed for payment. She turned to entitled dad and stated: You should have got one from evilbay.
Entitled Dad was livid; I asked him if there was anything else that I could help him with? He stated no. He then walked out of my shop. He should have done that anyway. A week later the girl comes in for her lesson and ran up to me and thanked me for the instrument, she stated that she went from 6th chair to second chair. Moving ahead of entitled dad’s daughter in the violin section of their band.

Ironic how some things just seem to work out. My friend and business partner still laughs about this every time she comes in for a lesson.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Tue 02/18/20 02:13 PM
Edited by Fiddlemaker on Tue 02/18/20 02:14 PM
Global warming is a natural process of the Earth.

Even with all the new environmental controls the DG's of the world are trying to put in place, in all countries, all over the world. ( Or are they just trying to line there pockets).

These actions will not stop the global changes that are occurring. They will just cost us more money and give no measurable results.

My favorite question is:
How can you control or reduce global warming when just one active volcano spews more contaminants into the atmosphere in one day, then we humans have expelled in the last 200 years?

Fiddlemaker's photo
Mon 02/17/20 11:51 AM
Should I go into the new shop and continue the remodel, it is raining and sleeting nothing but propane heat there for now.

I guess not.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Mon 02/17/20 11:49 AM
Seems I forgot to do this.

Please tell me what you think.bigsmile

Fiddlemaker's photo
Mon 02/17/20 11:43 AM

:notes:Born in the USA :flag_us: :notes: drinker

Same here, traveled a lot and nothing beats home even with the changes over time.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Mon 02/17/20 01:18 AM
laugh laugh laugh

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/15/20 05:44 PM
H + E = B

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/15/20 05:42 PM
Edited by Fiddlemaker on Sat 02/15/20 05:59 PM
United States Army 67v4b
United States Navy MPM 4204
Construction Mechanic
It was Terrifying in the Army, Navy was Fantastic and the travel was the best, a week to two weeks vacation in many different countries.

Favorite locations was Sydney and Benidorem (SP).

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/15/20 05:24 PM

So I am interested to know what difficulties you face the most with dating and relationships?

With dating:

Is it distance?

Having the courage to ask someone on a date?

Knowing what to say on a date?

Age difference?

Not much in common?

With relationships is it?

Or is it something else?

yes,
yes,
yes,
not really.
something else

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/15/20 11:39 AM
Edited by Fiddlemaker on Sat 02/15/20 11:42 AM
Looks good so far. But I am new here also.

Also good luck to you.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Sat 02/15/20 09:58 AM
Curly Maple and Engelman Spruce.

Fiddlemaker's photo
Fri 02/14/20 09:22 PM
I build and repair Bowed string instruments.

1 2 3 4 5 7 Next